Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

welcome to the uh... sleep apnea...

Sleep apnea? What's that

you can't breathe good when you sleep and snore loudly like a swarm of angry buzzing bees and can't get close to anyone in your life without alienating and annoying them

Sounds neat, do I have it

do you do a big snore? have you ever noticed that you stop breathing momentarily when half asleep? are you a tired lazy piece of poo poo all the time? if so, then go get a POLY SOMNOGRAPHY, hwere you dress up like a man in a suicide vest for a night, go out in public, then give it back as they record your bionatural rhythms into a Protools session

is it bad

enjoy your heart disease my man

who else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
My friend has to sleep with a giant air mask on so he won't die. Weeeeee!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Here's an idea. Put down the baconator and go outside and exercise some so you don't have to sleep like a goddamn android

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
they tried to give me one of those test thingies but i let it expire and now i just sleep in the basement on the floor

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

it's cool, i don't treat my probable "apnies"

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
i think it might be the alcohol poisoning but the cats and i are becoming good friends

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

I fart a lot on my sleep and it gets trapped under the thick covers so when i wake up in the morning I've been marinating all night in a cloud of rancid gas

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
is this like having night terrors

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

just ray posted:

i think it might be the alcohol poisoning but the cats and i are becoming good friends

Is it Nathan jr

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
my dad has it and has to wear something over his mouth and nose every night. My supervisor also had it, had the surgery, it didn't take and he collapsed in a pool of blood one night after in the shower.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
how fat are you up?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enfield posted:

is this like having night terrors

That's easier to deal with.

jeff smisek posted:

I fart a lot on my sleep and it gets trapped under the thick covers so when i wake up in the morning I've been marinating all night in a cloud of rancid gas

Email Me.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

jeff smisek posted:

Is it Nathan jr

ya and his sister, p.p.p.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

my dad has it and has to wear something over his mouth and nose every night. My supervisor also had it, had the surgery, it didn't take and he collapsed in a pool of blood one night after in the shower.

Did he die? Seems like sleep apnea is pretty fatal.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fallows posted:

how fat are you up?

This is important

I've never met a thin person with sleep apnea

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallows posted:

how fat are you up?

im fat up with all your bullshit

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

That's easier to deal with.

Email Me.

boy u kno my fax :forkbomb:

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I have this. But I refuse to use the machine. No mater what kind of mask I used I could not sleep with it.
I got a mouth piece that helped a bit but that hurt my jaw.
I Rather die then not sleep at all.
Losing weight helps though.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I weigh 600 pounds and have to use a machine to keep from dying while I sleep. My doctor says I need to lose weight but I say health at any size!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

You know youre a failure when you cant even manage to sleep without fukcing it up

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Fallows posted:

how fat are you up?

i'm not fat, doctors told me i had a tiny mouth and big palette and big rear end tongue

e: small palette? whichever one is bad

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

Did he die? Seems like sleep apnea is pretty fatal.

No. Thank god. His wife found him soon after.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ferroque posted:

i'm not fat, doctors told me i had a tiny mouth and big palette and big rear end tongue

are you a snake?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

lol if you have sleep apnea.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

so I have an apnea. what now

it's time for you to get you one of these

that's called a cpap machine and it forces air thru ur lovely body forcibly

do i have to look like bane

apparently there is a surgery that corrects your mouth and nasal cavity but nobody does it

should i just kill myself

yes

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Ferroque posted:

e: small palette? whichever one is bad

Small palette is the bad one, it makes your smile look lovely and probably means you have an ugly face because your bones didn't grow right. Also you die earlier because of the sleep apnea. You loving suck dude.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

it would be p. funny if you hooked up with some dude/chick and at the end they were like "hey g'night ima plug in my breathing machine wake me up if you want eggs."

I wouldn't know because i'm married tho so lemme know how it goes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MurderBot posted:

lol if you have sleep apnea.

sure, because thats something you have a decision about

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

sure, because thats something you have a decision about

this is 2016, you can decide anything n00b.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
When I had my sleep study, I scared the technician so badly that she followed me into the parking lot the next morning, yelling, "Remember! Don't sleep on your back!"

As if I sleep.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

MurderBot posted:

it would be p. funny if you hooked up with some dude/chick and at the end they were like "hey g'night ima plug in my breathing machine wake me up if you want eggs."

I wouldn't know because i'm married tho so lemme know how it goes.

i don't have a machine or anything so i just snore loudly after passing out naked next to whoever girl i got with 3 seconds ago

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Ferroque posted:

i don't have a machine or anything so i just snore loudly after passing out naked next to whoever girl i got with 3 seconds ago

nice bro, although I think they make snazzy carrying cases for CPAP machines so you could all out peacock at the bar and be like "wanna see my cpap machine we can go to ur place i just need some extension cord in case there isn't an outlet close to your bed."

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

my ex girlfriend couldn't sleep in the same room as me LOL if you date a light sleeper as an apneaman

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MurderBot posted:

this is 2016, you can decide anything n00b.

poo poo happened to my dad and my boss back in 2000's

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

poo poo happened to my dad and my boss back in 2000's

Do more Crossfit.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just because I wear a mask doesn't mean I'm hiding behind the face of a blubbering fat jowled man. I'm also living as that sagging predator mouth I call my chin and jaw line.

I wear this machine to save my life and one day I will repay it in full by dying in its arms as my trachea collapses under the two dolphins that settle upon my cheeks and stretch my skin down to my breast

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ferroque posted:

my ex girlfriend couldn't sleep in the same room as me LOL if you date a light sleeper as an apneaman

Mine asked me if I was a serial killer.

That's heart warming, isn't it?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

LadyAmbien posted:

My friend has to sleep with a giant air mask on so he won't die. Weeeeee!

Lowtax got the mask!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MurderBot posted:

Do more Crossfit.

god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am like the OP. Not fat and have sleep apnea. I am 6'4" and 185 lbs and have sleep apnea, but it is because I simply have a wide-rear end tongue.

If your tongue is too wide for your mouth, you might have a scalloped tongue which is a clear sign of it. It looks like this:

Mine isn't as bad as that, but you get the idea. Basically if you see teeth marks on your tongue there is a good chance you have a mild form of sleep apnea. No, your tongue does not get bigger or smaller as you gain or lose weight. My coworker had baby that had sleep apnea and it was from her tongue.

Luckily there is a great alternative to CPAPs:

It is known as several things: a Mandibular Adjustment Device, a TAP device, etc.

It works just as well as a CPAP for most people. Unfortunately a lot of insurance companies won't cover it and it's about $5,000 USD for one. But it sure beats the piss out of carrying a machine around with you when you go on vacation.

Oh and almost no doctor or oral surgeon on the planet will do the surgery to make your tongue more narrow; supposedly it's ridiculously painful, has an absurd recovery time, and can actually gently caress with your tastebuds.

Though in most situations obesity is to blame, I have to say I can vouch that it isn't always the case. I have a friend who is jacked as hell and he has it as well. He's not even a "fat" jacked, he is closer to MMA fighter jacked so I don't even think his weightlifting contributed to it.

edit: it is way more common that it is related to weight, though. One story I have is I am close friends with someone who knew Big Pun (the rapper) very well. He said Pun would literally fall asleep mid conversation with you, and this would happen numerous times throughout the conversation; even if he was the one talking. Everyone used to laugh about it and joke with him about it but obviously nobody knew it would be what killed him shortly after.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 7, 2016

• Locked thread