Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am like the OP. Not fat and have sleep apnea. I am 6'4" and 185 lbs and have sleep apnea, but it is because I simply have a wide-rear end tongue.

If your tongue is too wide for your mouth, you might have a scalloped tongue which is a clear sign of it. It looks like this:

Mine isn't as bad as that, but you get the idea. Basically if you see teeth marks on your tongue there is a good chance you have a mild form of sleep apnea. No, your tongue does not get bigger or smaller as you gain or lose weight. My coworker had baby that had sleep apnea and it was from her tongue.

Luckily there is a great alternative to CPAPs:

It is known as several things: a Mandibular Adjustment Device, a TAP device, etc.

It works just as well as a CPAP for most people. Unfortunately a lot of insurance companies won't cover it and it's about $5,000 USD for one. But it sure beats the piss out of carrying a machine around with you when you go on vacation.

Oh and almost no doctor or oral surgeon on the planet will do the surgery to make your tongue more narrow; supposedly it's ridiculously painful, has an absurd recovery time, and can actually gently caress with your tastebuds.

Though in most situations obesity is to blame, I have to say I can vouch that it isn't always the case. I have a friend who is jacked as hell and he has it as well. He's not even a "fat" jacked, he is closer to MMA fighter jacked so I don't even think his weightlifting contributed to it.

edit: it is way more common that it is related to weight, though. One story I have is I am close friends with someone who knew Big Pun (the rapper) very well. He said Pun would literally fall asleep mid conversation with you, and this would happen numerous times throughout the conversation; even if he was the one talking. Everyone used to laugh about it and joke with him about it but obviously nobody knew it would be what killed him shortly after.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Carmant posted:

Is your tongue too big, or is your mouth too small?

My tongue is just too big (wide); my jaw/mouth is normal. Though my doctor said people with "crowded teeth" (on the lower set of teeth) can have it too (it is usually a sign of a small mouth).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

my quack dentist gave me two big front teeth when I was 15. I only have one big tooth now

He got to charge your insurance twice as much that way

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ferroque posted:

Holy poo poo this is exactly me. The sides of my tongue are constantly cut up. Case closed

Glad I could help. It took me a long time to figure out wtf was going on and why I was tired all the time so if I can save someone that aggravation, it's cool to me.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't like him very much

My dad once got ripped off by our family dentist who ripped off a ton of people in NY before he moved to Florida. My dad actually tracked him down and the guy sent my dad a check in the mail lol

This was in the 80s before the internet so the dentist was bugged the gently caress out

Anyway the point of my story is we were 100% convinced that he used to bullshit and say we had cavities when we didn't. I would imagine fraud was way easier back in the 80s when nothing was digital.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that is cool and all, but it doesn't help me with my retarded tooth

Was your dentist on Ocean Pkwy in Brooklyn NY? If so, I can help.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
We should alert people who are choking on food to just breathe through their nose.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is that why they call you salty Josh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I'm pretty sure I have this because I too have a case of retard tongue and I snore and am constantly exhausted but my insurance won't cover a study :smith:

On a scale of acceptably stupid to don't ever do this dipshit, how stupid would it be for me to just buy one of them auto-adjusting machines off ebay and wing it myself???

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Adjustable-Night-Bruxism-Mouthpiece/dp/B00F4AO8GI

Just buy that. I am like 92% positive it will cure it for you. You can e-mail me a beer as thanks when it works!

• Locked thread