Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

reallivedinosaur posted:

what makes you think they will start a legitimate weed business later?

why cant they start legitimate businesses now?

Because whitey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
when does wal mart get free security from police?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

City of Tampa posted:

because if cops aren't able to generate money from the DEA by busting potheads or by confiscating cars and poo poo they will start taking in waaaay less money, and that has to be replaced with increased taxes or by cutting jobs of cops

Hmmm, if only the idea involved a new source of taxable currency.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
wal-mart pays cops time and half to do security in their off time

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
your all just about as dumb as gently caress

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Shaking down people is half the fun of police work.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

when does wal mart get free security from police?

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/public-safety/walmart-police/

some locations call the cops 40+ times a day, because that's cheaper than hiring two or three minimum wage security guards

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What happened in the south american country where they legalized weed ?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why do people still reply to dinosaur?

I don't even read gbs often anymore and I have known for months he is a troll

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
every reallivedinosaur post ever

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
everybody trolls in gbs. it's a constant flip-flop of trolling and serious posting.

the key is not to care and :justpost:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ronnie's got his own crack house now child

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Some walmarts are loving seedy & crowded and dangerous. See the one i frequent. I don't wanna take pics but its kind of hosed up how much poo poo goes down there with cops and parents still bring kids lol

My grandma had a diversion scam run on her there and her purse got lifted.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/public-safety/walmart-police/

some locations call the cops 40+ times a day, because that's cheaper than hiring two or three minimum wage security guards

Haha, yeah, loving Wal-Mart, goddamn won't just let people steal poo poo from them, loving Corporate Pigs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well but hire your own loving security guard instead of calling the cops out constantly and wasting taxpayer money

while they're at it they should pay their employees enough such that said employees don't need government benefits to stay above the poverty line lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You still have to call the cops to press charges on a shoplifter. And stealing is illegal, also.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Some walmarts are loving seedy & crowded and dangerous. See the one i frequent. I don't wanna take pics but its kind of hosed up how much poo poo goes down there with cops and parents still bring kids lol

My grandma had a diversion scam run on her there and her purse got lifted.

You live in Dallas, right? I'm wondering if it's the same one I go to. They just put in uniformed guards inside the store a few months ago and it's the only Walmart I know that closes at midnight.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
politicians handwringing about a few hundred mil in food stamps meanwhile that poo poo is a-okay

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blarzgh posted:

You still have to call the cops to press charges on a shoplifter. And stealing is illegal, also.

Okay but what's special about WalMart that there is so much stealing going on there?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its a stupid premise. Cops called too often to Huge place where millions of people visit that has lots of crime.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cartouche posted:

brain damage, family full of cops
lol this post hit me like the last 5 minutes of the 6th Sense

its all clear now, everything is explained

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

Okay but what's special about WalMart that there is so much stealing going on there?

If the article was any good, maybe it would explore that pretext.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

politicians handwringing about a few hundred mil in food stamps meanwhile that poo poo is a-okay

Politicians don't work at police departments.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

frantically raises hand

Oh! OH! I know! Mordin! Mordin! I know!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Young Freud posted:

You live in Dallas, right? I'm wondering if it's the same one I go to. They just put in uniformed guards inside the store a few months ago and it's the only Walmart I know that closes at midnight.

Im pretty north of dallas these daya and so you can figure it's one of two or three probably

I miss my dfw suburb walmart tbh

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

blarzgh posted:

Haha, yeah, loving Wal-Mart, goddamn won't just let people steal poo poo from them, loving Corporate Pigs.

they could hire their own security instead of making us pay for it, they make enough money. And if you read the article, Target doesn't do this poo poo.

Moridin920 posted:

they don't hire any private security because why should they? they can just call the cops 40 times a day and the Walton family can pocket the savings

stump collector
May 28, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

lol this post hit me like the last 5 minutes of the 6th Sense

its all clear now, everything is explained

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
First off:

lol

Second, "You make enough money so you don't get equal protections under the law." is the dumbest, most childish belief a grown-up can have.

Third, like I already pointed out, you can't prosecute misdemeanor theft (shoplifting) without calling the police. So, you have to call the cops.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do know that they have loss prevention people. They are just usually dressed like normal shoppers and then go 'haha!' when you try to walk out. Idk I'ma just remain on the fencepost here because Tampa makes a convincing argument but then again blarzgh is right so idk.

also alice walton killed people while drunk driving and got away with it

quote:

"Do you know who I am?" She asked responding officers who charged her with a DWI. "Do you know my last name?"

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

blarzgh posted:

First off:

lol

Second, "You make enough money so you don't get equal protections under the law." is the dumbest, most childish belief a grown-up can have.

Third, like I already pointed out, you can't prosecute misdemeanor theft (shoplifting) without calling the police. So, you have to call the cops.

"you have some level of responsibility to put forth the barest minimum of effort to prevent your own poo poo from being stolen" is a pretty adult position to have actually

and if you read the article they aren't just calling on shoplifters, they are calling for anything that a large business would normally have a security guard do, like chase away drunks and poo poo like that

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Good

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

quote:

"Do you know who I am?" She asked responding officers who charged her with a DWI. "Do you know my last name?"

Whenever I've asked a cop that question it is because I have honestly forgotten.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

City of Tampa posted:

they don't hire any private security because why should they? they can just call the cops 40 times a day and the Walton family can pocket the savings

Is this even legal? Over here you have to pay the police If you don't have a valid reason to call them/ If the cops dont think you have a valid reason.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

"you have some level of responsibility to put forth the barest minimum of effort to prevent your own poo poo from being stolen" is a pretty adult position to have actually

Please list all the crimes that applies to, so I can pick the appropriate shaming technique for your bad opinion.

Or not, and say instead something like, "well its Wal-mart and I don't like Wal-mart, so I get to feel which law apply to them."

Zombiepop posted:

Is this even legal? Over here you have to pay the police If you don't have a valid reason to call them/ If the cops dont think you have a valid reason.

The many cities have this; I suspect Tampa does too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
blarzgh is somewhat correct though that the crime is still being committed and we're victim blaming WalMart a little bit. if they really are just a big target due to location/pricing/whatever they can't really help that I guess

City of Tampa posted:

and if you read the article they aren't just calling on shoplifters, they are calling for anything that a large business would normally have a security guard do, like chase away drunks and poo poo like that

see now that's abuse of the privilege of calling the cops out imo. if you can hire undercover loss prevention dudes you can have a security guard out front for petty stuff like that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 13, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

City of Tampa posted:

I lol'd. Like, if you don't lock your home it's a completely legal for someone to come in and take what they want?

Lord help you if you wear a short skirt too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well it's true that reasonably in the real world you can't expect the cops to come running every time and thus you probably lock your car and your house and so on. Legal or not isn't always the best metric for what you should be doing. If you walk around at night in Chicago wearing $20,000 jewelry the fact that robbery is illegal isn't going to save you from a mugging.

I expect WalMart to take reasonable precautions too. And they do have cameras and stuff so they might be doing all they reasonably can I guess.

Really it depends on what is reasonable, which pretty much means 'well what are other big box stores doing?' If WalMart is the only one calling out the cops to chase drunks away and other petty poo poo like that then yeah they're clearly wasting tax money.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Please list all the crimes that applies to, so I can pick the appropriate shaming technique for your bad opinion.

Nevermind, they got it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At some point if the police themselves thought they were being jerked around they'd probably tell the store to cut it out, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If you want to take a deeper look into it, you'd have to examine the interplay between criminal charges, and the threat of civil lawsuits. Wal-Mart has policies about engaging disruptive, harmful, or dangerous individuals, because guess what: they get it wrong, they get sued.

Police have immunity from civil suits, generally, so why would Wal-Mart risk getting sued for millions by tossing a drunk out on his rear end, when they can have the Cops do it?

Edit: they have a whole handbook and training for dealing with shoplifters; 'false imprisonment' is a type of claim in a civil suit.

• Locked thread