Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

atomicthumbs posted:

It exists, and it's real, and it murders people

Murdered a person. You are so bitch made its not even funny. I hope you get killed by a drunk driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

Im rich enough to afford "occaisonal" cars but I rent lovely econo boxes for my weekends away to save miniscule amounts on gas money

Hell yeah dude you ballin, when the girls ask you for a ride in the merc do you ask them not to use the heated seats because it fucks up your mileage calculations

lol you're so dumb. why don't you at least take 2 mins to google what a decent car for a weekend costs because you are just double downing on sounding like a dumbass who hasn't ever rented one.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Moridin920 posted:

lol you're so dumb. why don't you at least take 2 mins to google what a decent car for a weekend costs because you are just double downing on sounding like a dumbass who hasn't ever rented one.

A compact car here costs fifty a day, minimum and thats assuming you dont value the time spent collecting and dropping off the loving thing

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A daily driver is a car that you drive everywhere, in comparison to like a Ferrari/classic car/bigass work Truck

It's not a car you rent to drive on the highway lmfao

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I think we should just ban cars until we can figure this whole thing out.

edit: the thing being moridon's spending habits

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

A compact car here costs fifty a day, minimum and thats assuming you dont value the time spent collecting and dropping off the loving thing

Well you're getting shafted on that price but this isn't even my original point.

My original point is why wouldn't I buy an electric self driving car for long road trips and keep my daily driver for regular city driving? In response to 'why would anyone even need/want this.'

Then some retard said 'who owns 2 cars?!' and here we are, arguing about rental car prices like retards.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Dubplate Fire posted:

Murdered a person. You are so bitch made its not even funny. I hope you get killed by a drunk driver.

Whoa there, fella. It's just a car. It doesn't have feelings, and you don't have to feel empathy for it.

Moridin920 posted:

My original point is why wouldn't I buy an electric self driving car for long road trips and keep my daily driver for regular city driving? In response to 'why would anyone even need/want this.'

because your use cases are literally completely backwards, for one. "i'm going to buy a long-distance car that can't drive long distances, and use a gasoline car in the situation where it's worst!"

Moridin920 posted:

Are you retarded? Why would I drive an E55 AMG to Vegas when I could just rent a nice car instead and not have the beast suck down all my gas? $75/day pff you must be retarded. Costs like half that for a decent car with way better mileage.

where does mercedes come into this? we're talking about Teslas vs. real cars.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my favorite things about teslas:

1. they lose up to 40% of their range if it's cold out, like if a real car's gas tank shrank up like a polar bear club participant's dick

2. drove your car to work today? mother had a stroke and is dying in the hospital 150 miles away? lol good luck driving there, the car's still charging and won't be done for another 8 hours

3. the rear suspensions break and then tesla made anyone who wanted to have them fix it sign an agreement saying they wouldn't snitch to the NHTSA

4. They murder human beings

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i like my old volvo; it cost $1000 plus a transmission seal replacement and i had it shipped up from san diego towed by the pickup truck of a man named Billy.

it gets 32 mpg on flat highway with cruise control, goes 0-60 in 7.2 seconds (or 6.0 if I have the ECU reflashed someday to turn up the boost), it has AWD and enough space to hold pretty much anything I need to haul around, it has the most comfortable seats ever put in a car, and when I mash the go pedal it makes noises that make me feel masculine for once in my life

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

you sure seem real insecure about not owning a tesla

its ok, i once knew a guy who drove a volvo who got a pity lay

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

you sure seem real insecure about not owning a tesla

its ok, i once knew a guy who drove a volvo who got a pity lay

my wagon hauls rear end, and pussy!!!

edit: I like volvos because they're known for their safety, unlike the Tesla, which decapitates its driver

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 12, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the SEC is investigating Tesla for not disclosing information about the guy who got murdered by his car to investors

and another Model X tried to kill two people

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well obviously it's not safe to drive on a road without cell phone reception. heck I bet tesla just voids your warranty outright

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

well obviously it's not safe to drive on a road without cell phone reception. heck I bet tesla just voids your warranty outright

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

tesla should come with a warning not to drive it on flat straight roads with paint marking the lanes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

because your use cases are literally completely backwards, for one. "i'm going to buy a long-distance car that can't drive long distances, and use a gasoline car in the situation where it's worst!"

Uh no why is an electric car suddenly not a long-distance car? An electric or hybrid car can make it to Vegas from SD just fine and the relative gas mileage savings are significant versus a gas car that isn't super efficient.

Some people just have 2 cars get over it

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
The more ya'll get in a froth about Teslas the more their share price goes up :)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Uh no why is an electric car suddenly not a long-distance car? An electric or hybrid car can make it to Vegas from SD just fine and the relative gas mileage savings are significant versus a gas car that isn't super efficient.

If you buy a Model S with the longest range (the 85D IIRC) and buy a Ford Fusion Ecoboost AWD it will only take you 99 years to pay off the difference in gas savings at current gas prices

try the math yourself

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Also, to change any settings on the car like the radio or HVAC, you have to take your eyes off the road and paw at an ipad

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Roylicious posted:

The more ya'll get in a froth about Teslas the more their share price goes up :)

I know. I own shares. I'm pumping it, baby

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

pReally funny stuff, guys. keep up the good work.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

consumer reports agrees: tesla with autopilot are too dangerous

http://www.consumerreports.org/tesla/tesla-autopilot-too-much-autonomy-too-soon/

Butthead
May 31, 2011
OP you have nothing to worry about, your financial situation doesn't allow you to be killed by a Tesla.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure someone else's Tesla can kill you no matter what you drive

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

atomicthumbs posted:

my wagon hauls rear end, and pussy!!!

edit: I like volvos because they're known for their safety, unlike the Tesla, which decapitates its driver

1. Put rear seats flat
2. Put a mattress and a disco ball in the back.
3. Remove "Volvo" badge, replace with "Bang Bus"
4. Cruise around town looking for sexy ladies.

Tesla can't do this. Also, if the Volvo gets hit by an 18-Wheeler truck while you are loving you won't even notice.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Autopilot should not be blamed for any of the accidents as the driver has the ability to override it any time and should be aware of what is happening.

Just like Pokemon Go should not blamed for idiots crossing highways and getting hit by vehicles.

Why can't anybody accept responsibility for their actions any more?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Rise of the Machines.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I did not expect to see a self driving car slapfight itt but once again goons deliver!!!!

atomicthumbs posted:

4. They murder human beings

Why is this tire giving me the sexy eye

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

error1 posted:

I'm sorry that robots are currently stealing your truck driver job, OP. There's nothing we can do about it, progress is relentless.

The LIDAR system that the Uber and Google systems use don't work in precipitation, which makes them useless 150 days of the year here.

Apr 7, 2003

It's me, I'm 80,000 lbs of freight in a robot semi that you can hijack with a $30 squirt gun.

Apr 7, 2003

Butthead posted:

Autopilot should not be blamed for any of the accidents as the driver has the ability to override it any time and should be aware of what is happening.

That would make sense if they gave their lane assist system a sane name like Mercedes did, instead of "autopilot."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

That would make sense if they gave their lane assist system a sane name like Mercedes did, instead of "autopilot."

Goddamn you're still going

Apr 7, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Goddamn you're still going

Words matter. If you call your lane assist system "autopilot," people are going to assume it drives the car for you. It's negligent.

Apr 7, 2003

I mean, I'm 100% cool with a car that murders rich stupid manchildren, but that's not a good look on Tesla's part.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Wow already more than 80 people killed by self driving cars, maybe you aren't all a bunch of chicken littles

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I hope they're going to be suing Tesla over the incident in Nice

Apr 7, 2003

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Wow already more than 80 people killed by self driving cars, maybe you aren't all a bunch of chicken littles

Maybe self-driving cars will be ready in thirty years.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

atomicthumbs posted:

1. they lose up to 40% of their range if it's cold out, like if a real car's gas tank shrank up like a polar bear club participant's dick
This is a thing but it's not that one-sided really. An electric car will lose a predictable amount of range in cold temperatures that you would take into account before buying one. A conventional car's battery will similarly lose power in cold temperatures which regularly causes cars with worn batteries to not start at all.

So yeah, you lose range, but you won't ever have the issue of the thing not working due to the cold. And I wouldn't need to go out in the winter an hour or two before I plan going anywhere to set the block heater timer.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

It is completely possible to stymie a Google self-driving car as a cyclist just by standing with your bike at a stop sign.

• Locked thread