Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Dateline 2046: Dozens slain as self-driving car mysteriously goes off-road and mows down students on Harvard campus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i just told it to pahk raht heah but it went crazy for some reason!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Dateline 2046: Dozens slain as self-driving car mysteriously goes off-road and mows down students on Harvard campus

The future sounds pretty awesome tbh.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

crabcakes66 posted:

The future sounds pretty awesome tbh.

i like electric cars that hunger for the blood of the rich

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Citizen Tayne posted:

The year is 2046, because that is thirty years from 2016. I use my mobile app to summon an Uber autonomous cab to take me to work. It arrives with several major body panels missing. The door pops open and I slide into the back seat, careful to avoid the piles of feces and used needles littering the floor. The car shudders off like an old shopping cart, because two of the tires are blown. "This is progress," I think to myself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
post in this thread every time a person dies because a car was driven by a human and not a computer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
pretend I post 10000 times

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
post in this thread every time a gun kills a person

*closes thread because only people kills people :smug:*

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

pffhhh what's next? a car that solves murders?

because it caused them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

post in this thread every time a person dies because a car was driven by a human and not a computer

If computers were available that could feasibly drive cars right now, this would make sense.

Sadly, they seem to be thirty years away.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
next Sunday, A.D.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY16FH018-preliminary.aspx

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/andrewdelcolle/status/757953674190749696

lmfao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

"We prefer to work with serious car companies not run by idiots to develop self driving cars" = "All self driving cars will forever fail". Checks out.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Well it isn't a death but somebody ran a red light and hit me because their car driving computer was broken and didnt know the area and had kids in the car that distracted it.

Actually, wait, it wasn't a Tesla, it was actually a jeep with an infallible human driver that wrecked into me... It must have just been an 'edge case'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

blowfish posted:

"We prefer to work with serious car companies not run by idiots to develop self driving cars" = "All self driving cars will forever fail". Checks out.

actually, "We prefer to work with serious car companies not run by idiots to develop self driving cars" = "we, the experts in this technology, believe self-driving cars are way further away than the average person thinks, and Elon "Elon Musk" Musk's behavior is irresponsible and dangerous"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Well it isn't a death but somebody ran a red light and hit me because their car driving computer was broken and didnt know the area and had kids in the car that distracted it.

Actually, wait, it wasn't a Tesla, it was actually a jeep with an infallible human driver that wrecked into me... It must have just been an 'edge case'

hm cool post

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://moralmachine.mit.edu

I'm going to spend all week teaching the self-driving car that mowing down a dozen doctors is better than running over a single cat or dog

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
but it is though :confused:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yes but someone has been teaching it wrong and it needs to be fixed

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Why did they call it Autopilot instead of Cruise Control+ or something? Autopilot colloquially means "the thing drives itself" so of course you have retards watching harry potter while they hurtle down the highway. Tesla are going to get sued for a million billion dollars.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

The year is 2046, because that is thirty years from 2016. I use my mobile app to summon an Uber autonomous cab to take me to work. It arrives with several major body panels missing. The door pops open and I slide into the back seat, careful to avoid the piles of feces and used needles littering the floor. The car shudders off like an old shopping cart, because two of the tires are blown. "This is progress," I think to myself.

Chin up gramps only another 30 years until retirement

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Berious posted:

Why did they call it Autopilot instead of Cruise Control+ or something? Autopilot colloquially means "the thing drives itself" so of course you have retards watching harry potter while they hurtle down the highway. Tesla are going to get sued for a million billion dollars.

I think this is a good opinion and people will ignore it In this thread because they'd rather attach their ego to the time frame when full auto cars will be viable.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
LIABILITY REDUCTION MODE ENGAGED

Apr 7, 2003

sudonim posted:

I think this is a good opinion and people will ignore it In this thread because they'd rather attach their ego to the time frame when full auto cars will be viable.

I went over that already and some dumb rear end in a top hat said that no one in their right mind would EVER think that "autopilot" means it drives itself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

this is p funny actually because just this morning I read an article about how Uber is having automated cars (in partnership with Volva) rolled out this year

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-08-18/uber-s-first-self-driving-fleet-arrives-in-pittsburgh-this-month-is06r7on

lmao

quote:

In Pittsburgh, customers will request cars the normal way, via Uber’s app, and will be paired with a driverless car at random. Trips will be free for the time being, rather than the standard local rate of $1.30 per mile. In the long run, Kalanick says, prices will fall so low that the per-mile cost of travel, even for long trips in rural areas, will be cheaper in a driverless Uber than in a private car. “That could be seen as a threat,” says Volvo Cars CEO Hakan Samuelsson. “We see it as an opportunity.”

For now, Uber’s test cars travel with safety drivers, as common sense and the law dictate. These professionally trained engineers sit with their fingertips on the wheel, ready to take control if the car encounters an unexpected obstacle. A co-pilot, in the front passenger seat, takes notes on a laptop, and everything that happens is recorded by cameras inside and outside the car so that any glitches can be ironed out. Each car is also equipped with a tablet computer in the back seat, designed to tell riders that they’re in an autonomous car and to explain what’s happening. “The goal is to wean us off of having drivers in the car, so we don’t want the public talking to our safety drivers,” Krikorian says.

30 fuckin years my rear end in a top hat this poo poo is going to be everywhere in a decade

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 18, 2016

Apr 7, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

this is p funny actually because just this morning I read an article about how Uber is having automated cars (in partnership with Volva) rolled out this year

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-08-18/uber-s-first-self-driving-fleet-arrives-in-pittsburgh-this-month-is06r7on

lmao

30 fuckin years my rear end in a top hat

I am in Pittsburgh and I have only ever seen an Uber autonomous car in one place, a flat and gridded, completely predictable area.

They are going to have two people in the car at all times in case the inevitable happens.

This isn't a "rollout", it's a beta test they're conducting on customers.

A person who knows more about it than you or I said thirty years, sorry if that fucks up your dreams for an anime high tech future.

Apr 7, 2003

They literally do not work in the rain, which means they're useless 150 days out of the year here.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

I am in Pittsburgh and I have only ever seen an Uber autonomous car in one place, a flat and gridded, completely predictable area.

They are going to have two people in the car at all times in case the inevitable happens.

This isn't a "rollout", it's a beta test they're conducting on customers.

A person who knows more about it than you or I said thirty years, sorry if that fucks up your dreams for an anime high tech future.

you're fuckin absurd you know that

1 person in the field spitballed '30 years to I Robot cars' and you think this means the tech is literally unfeasible in any shorter timeframe in any other configuration because reasons

I mean jesus guy look how the goalposts have already moved from 'this won't happen until 2046 and it will be lovely' to 'yeah it's 2016 and they have them buut only in flat gridded areas!!!'

Apr 7, 2003

No one moved goalposts. This is a beta test. Call me when they can drive themselves without human intervention across the sort of conditions you can reasonably expect to be normal (i.e. snow, rain, and so on).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cool well if they can't go from Beta test to full commercial production in less than thirty years then you might be on to something lmao

Here's another article I can't wait for you to handwave away somehow

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/business/ford-promises-fleets-of-driverless-cars-within-five-years.html

quote:

At a news conference on Tuesday at the company’s research center in Palo Alto, Calif., Mark Fields, Ford’s chief executive, said the company planned to mass produce driverless cars and have them in commercial operation in a ride-hailing service by 2021.

“That means there’s going to be no steering wheel. There’s going to be no gas pedal. There’s going to be no brake pedal,’’ he said. “If someone had told you 10 years ago, or even five years ago, that the C.E.O. of a major automaker American car company is going to be announcing the mass production of fully autonomous vehicles, they would have been called crazy or nuts or both.”

Apr 7, 2003

GBS Man: "There are two people operating them during this beta test, clearly cars are ready to drive themselves at any moment"

Apr 7, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Cool well if they can't go from Beta test to full commercial production in less than thirty years then you might be on to something lmao

Here's another article I can't wait for you to handwave away somehow

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/business/ford-promises-fleets-of-driverless-cars-within-five-years.html

Ford has already shown a willingness to kill their customers, so no surprise.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

GBS Man: "There are two people operating them during this beta test, clearly cars are ready to drive themselves at any moment"

CEOs of major automotive companies: "this tech will be on the streets in 5-10 years"

GBS Man: "no way someone told me that's IMPOSSIBLE so they must all be dumbos"

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ford has already shown a willingness to kill their customers, so no surprise.

what kinda argument is this to fall back onto

honk honk

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

“That means there’s going to be no steering wheel. There’s going to be no gas pedal. There’s going to be no brake pedal,’’ he said

A moving suicide booth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus okay so you don't believe Uber or Ford, what about BMW?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/01/technology/bmw-intel-mobileye/

quote:

BMW promises fully driverless cars by 2021

The partnership, which involves Intel (INTC, Tech30) and the Israeli computer vision company Mobileye (MBLY), will create an open platform for the next generation of vehicles.

The companies will announce the news Friday at BMW's headquarters in Munich.

BMW said the new iNEXT model will be the basis for future fleets of fully autonomous vehicles that will drive on both highways and in urban environments, which are far more challenging. A BMW spokesman said it expects a steering wheel and pedals to remain in the fully self-driving vehicle, in case the driver wants to be in control.

"In just five years, the driverless experience will be activated by the touch of a button," said Amnon Shashua, the chief technology officer of Mobileye.

Apr 7, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

CEOs of major automotive companies: "this tech will be on the streets in 5-10 years"

GBS Man: "no way someone told me that's IMPOSSIBLE so they must all be dumbos"

what kinda argument is this to fall back onto

honk honk

You're entitled to your opinion. In the meantime, give me a call when they're capable of driving in real world conditions.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-bad-self-driving-cars-suck-in-the-rain-1666268433

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're entitled to your opinion. In the meantime, give me a call when they're capable of driving in real world conditions.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-bad-self-driving-cars-suck-in-the-rain-1666268433

so Uber Ford and BMW and dozens of other major investors are pouring billions into a product they expect to have ready by 2021ish and you're sitting there going 'nope, it won't be ready until the 2040s because currently they are bad in the rain.'

I know it can hurt to admit it sometimes but maybe just maybe you're wrong and you're digging your heels in to avoid losing face or whatever? I mean dude I'm quoting you financial news and you're coming back with jalopnik.com

Apr 7, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

so Uber Ford and BMW and dozens of other major investors are pouring billions into a product they expect to have ready by 2021ish and you're sitting there going 'nope, it won't be ready until the 2040s because currently they are bad in the rain.'

I know it can hurt to admit it sometimes but maybe just maybe you're wrong and you're digging your heels in to avoid losing face or whatever? I mean dude I'm quoting you financial news and you're coming back with jalopnik.com

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5821954/1970s-nasa-film-predicted-wed-colonize-space-before-the-year-2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

It's great here, on the moon, which NASA said we'd colonize by 2000.

• Locked thread