Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think you bitches are just jelly because u want a tesla but you can't even afford the $5k to get on the wait list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you fat fucks probably quiver with envy when you see that the car can park itself "no more squeezing in and out of the spot with my fat rear end..."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk why you people see some cussing and assume im super mad all the time and having a meltdown

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

pretend i put the effort in to make a map of the united states with tiny little shaded blobs on the coasts and maybe in austin and chicago to indicate where you can drive with a tesla.

yeah but let's be real you don't want to go to 99% of the USA 99.99% of the time you are in it

like once in a great while you can take a car trip and then you can just rent a car or whatever bc you wouldn't take your daily driver on a big road trip like a rube anyway, right?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

1. wrong
2. Why wouldn't I want to take my daily driver on a road trip? It's a pre-2000 Volvo, so it'll last a very, very long time, and highway miles are easier on the car than city driving.
3. I like highway driving.

1. k well i bought my car and have put 22k miles on it since and they've all been inside LA/orange/SD and Vegas, all of which is easily Tesla territory.

2. well if you have some shitbird Volvo then sure lol but I'm talking about adults with decent cars they don't want to load a ton of miles onto here

3. not relevant to anything. so do I.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

and have you ever lived outside a major metropolitan area

and why did you buy a new car, instead of leasing? the depreciation is gonna be killin' you man

it's just a 2015 mazda 3 and the monthly payment was super low (ended up paying it off because of a small windfall anyway)

look im just saying 'the coasts' is actually where most of the population is and most people don't really take super long road trips in their daily drivers very often so I don't think that's really a big burn on Tesla

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spud posted:

The term Daily Driver makes me very angry.

Its a loving car. A CAR.

Sometimes I think America is more at odds with the Western World than Russia is.

Also "stick shift?" IT'S A MANUAL GEARBOX!!!

that's retarded

my dad has 2 cars. one is his 'daily driver' because that's the car he drives in his day to day. the other is the one he drives when he goes out to Vegas or whatever (better gas mileage).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i used to go to overpasses with my friends in hs and pee onto cars

what do you think of that mr musk

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

Fuckin lol

What sort of moon man buys a car and thinks "well it cant go long distances, which i want to do sometimes, but thats cool ill just rent another car for that when the time comes" *thinks about how much maitenence and resale hes saving while driving his 75 dollar a day hire car down the highway*

Are you retarded? Why would I drive an E55 AMG to Vegas when I could just rent a nice car instead and not have the beast suck down all my gas? $75/day pff you must be retarded. Costs like half that for a decent car with way better mileage.

obv my car CAN get to Vegas, but I can also just spend $100 and have a decent rental for the weekend.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

all those pictures are from human drivers?

At least two of those are for sure human error, I can remember the specific news story. One is in dispute I guess because the wife claims she definitely didn't push the wrong pedal and the autopilot definitely just came on and crashed her car even though none of the sensor/computer data corroborates that (ie she hit the wrong pedal and is trying to sue Tesla about it).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 11, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Who told you they don't have AC? Ofc they have AC. If they didn't have AC the battery would overheat.

abigserve posted:

Gas mileage is pretty important to me which is why I both own a european sports sedan and make sure to only drive it in the city traffic to work and not out on the highway - a stupid person

you're right there's 0 reason anyone would ever own more than 1 car, bc that 1 car should be able to fill every single vehicular need you may ever have.

idiot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

Im rich enough to afford "occaisonal" cars but I rent lovely econo boxes for my weekends away to save miniscule amounts on gas money

Hell yeah dude you ballin, when the girls ask you for a ride in the merc do you ask them not to use the heated seats because it fucks up your mileage calculations

lol you're so dumb. why don't you at least take 2 mins to google what a decent car for a weekend costs because you are just double downing on sounding like a dumbass who hasn't ever rented one.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

A compact car here costs fifty a day, minimum and thats assuming you dont value the time spent collecting and dropping off the loving thing

Well you're getting shafted on that price but this isn't even my original point.

My original point is why wouldn't I buy an electric self driving car for long road trips and keep my daily driver for regular city driving? In response to 'why would anyone even need/want this.'

Then some retard said 'who owns 2 cars?!' and here we are, arguing about rental car prices like retards.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

because your use cases are literally completely backwards, for one. "i'm going to buy a long-distance car that can't drive long distances, and use a gasoline car in the situation where it's worst!"

Uh no why is an electric car suddenly not a long-distance car? An electric or hybrid car can make it to Vegas from SD just fine and the relative gas mileage savings are significant versus a gas car that isn't super efficient.

Some people just have 2 cars get over it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

If you buy a Model S with the longest range (the 85D IIRC) and buy a Ford Fusion Ecoboost AWD it will only take you 99 years to pay off the difference in gas savings at current gas prices

try the math yourself

well I have a hybrid Lexus for the long haul stuff

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Butthead posted:

Why can't anybody accept responsibility for their actions any more?

because everyone is angling for a lawsuit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

The year is 2046, because that is thirty years from 2016. I use my mobile app to summon an Uber autonomous cab to take me to work. It arrives with several major body panels missing. The door pops open and I slide into the back seat, careful to avoid the piles of feces and used needles littering the floor. The car shudders off like an old shopping cart, because two of the tires are blown. "This is progress," I think to myself.

this is p funny actually because just this morning I read an article about how Uber is having automated cars (in partnership with Volva) rolled out this year

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-08-18/uber-s-first-self-driving-fleet-arrives-in-pittsburgh-this-month-is06r7on

lmao

quote:

In Pittsburgh, customers will request cars the normal way, via Uber’s app, and will be paired with a driverless car at random. Trips will be free for the time being, rather than the standard local rate of $1.30 per mile. In the long run, Kalanick says, prices will fall so low that the per-mile cost of travel, even for long trips in rural areas, will be cheaper in a driverless Uber than in a private car. “That could be seen as a threat,” says Volvo Cars CEO Hakan Samuelsson. “We see it as an opportunity.”

For now, Uber’s test cars travel with safety drivers, as common sense and the law dictate. These professionally trained engineers sit with their fingertips on the wheel, ready to take control if the car encounters an unexpected obstacle. A co-pilot, in the front passenger seat, takes notes on a laptop, and everything that happens is recorded by cameras inside and outside the car so that any glitches can be ironed out. Each car is also equipped with a tablet computer in the back seat, designed to tell riders that they’re in an autonomous car and to explain what’s happening. “The goal is to wean us off of having drivers in the car, so we don’t want the public talking to our safety drivers,” Krikorian says.

30 fuckin years my rear end in a top hat this poo poo is going to be everywhere in a decade

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 18, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

I am in Pittsburgh and I have only ever seen an Uber autonomous car in one place, a flat and gridded, completely predictable area.

They are going to have two people in the car at all times in case the inevitable happens.

This isn't a "rollout", it's a beta test they're conducting on customers.

A person who knows more about it than you or I said thirty years, sorry if that fucks up your dreams for an anime high tech future.

you're fuckin absurd you know that

1 person in the field spitballed '30 years to I Robot cars' and you think this means the tech is literally unfeasible in any shorter timeframe in any other configuration because reasons

I mean jesus guy look how the goalposts have already moved from 'this won't happen until 2046 and it will be lovely' to 'yeah it's 2016 and they have them buut only in flat gridded areas!!!'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cool well if they can't go from Beta test to full commercial production in less than thirty years then you might be on to something lmao

Here's another article I can't wait for you to handwave away somehow

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/business/ford-promises-fleets-of-driverless-cars-within-five-years.html

quote:

At a news conference on Tuesday at the company’s research center in Palo Alto, Calif., Mark Fields, Ford’s chief executive, said the company planned to mass produce driverless cars and have them in commercial operation in a ride-hailing service by 2021.

“That means there’s going to be no steering wheel. There’s going to be no gas pedal. There’s going to be no brake pedal,’’ he said. “If someone had told you 10 years ago, or even five years ago, that the C.E.O. of a major automaker American car company is going to be announcing the mass production of fully autonomous vehicles, they would have been called crazy or nuts or both.”

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

GBS Man: "There are two people operating them during this beta test, clearly cars are ready to drive themselves at any moment"

CEOs of major automotive companies: "this tech will be on the streets in 5-10 years"

GBS Man: "no way someone told me that's IMPOSSIBLE so they must all be dumbos"

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ford has already shown a willingness to kill their customers, so no surprise.

what kinda argument is this to fall back onto

honk honk

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus okay so you don't believe Uber or Ford, what about BMW?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/01/technology/bmw-intel-mobileye/

quote:

BMW promises fully driverless cars by 2021

The partnership, which involves Intel (INTC, Tech30) and the Israeli computer vision company Mobileye (MBLY), will create an open platform for the next generation of vehicles.

The companies will announce the news Friday at BMW's headquarters in Munich.

BMW said the new iNEXT model will be the basis for future fleets of fully autonomous vehicles that will drive on both highways and in urban environments, which are far more challenging. A BMW spokesman said it expects a steering wheel and pedals to remain in the fully self-driving vehicle, in case the driver wants to be in control.

"In just five years, the driverless experience will be activated by the touch of a button," said Amnon Shashua, the chief technology officer of Mobileye.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're entitled to your opinion. In the meantime, give me a call when they're capable of driving in real world conditions.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-bad-self-driving-cars-suck-in-the-rain-1666268433

so Uber Ford and BMW and dozens of other major investors are pouring billions into a product they expect to have ready by 2021ish and you're sitting there going 'nope, it won't be ready until the 2040s because currently they are bad in the rain.'

I know it can hurt to admit it sometimes but maybe just maybe you're wrong and you're digging your heels in to avoid losing face or whatever? I mean dude I'm quoting you financial news and you're coming back with jalopnik.com

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that's your fuckin argument in response? some old NASA video optimistically was like 'we'll have moon colonies by 2000!' in the 70s and that's equivalent???

are you fuckin SERIOUSLY guy hahahahahahahaha

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Moridin don't argue with these retards just let the thread die in ignominy like it should

lol fair enough

\/\/\/ yeah well guess what it'll be way before 2046, too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

It is mind-blowing how many people there are who are emotionally invested in living in a high tech Neo Tokyo and get enraged when you suggest it may not happen soon.

it's mind blowing how you reach this conclusion, and not simply the conclusion that we don't believe you when you say X but everyone else from CEOs of major automotive companies to start up engineers to programmers are going 'this will be done within a decade or two.'

I mean bro super smart scientists and people in the field said the Human Genome Project would take decades and decades and decades but hey technology advanced and we knocked that poo poo out in less than 15 years. That's better indication of how this will go than some random 70s NASA video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm not the one saying it's thirty years off, the director of the project at Google is.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-...ades-for-others

Waiting for that PM.

oh you mean the dude that just left that project lol

• Locked thread