Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
a robot killed a guy in dallas but that robot was being controlled by a human, so don't bother posting about it in here. post cars that murder people by themselves, especially if they have an ipad in the dashboard, or instead of one

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

blowfish posted:

Self-driving cars allow the unwashed masses to experience more convenience and luxury at a lower price. This is good.

Driver of vehicle that costs $120,000, can't ever venture further than 125 miles from its charging station or risk getting stuck, has a worse interior than a ford fusion, and which has a computer whose function is to randomly murder the occupants of the car: I love my luxury car. It's very fast. Good acceleration

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

i predict, that if this happens, people won't actually own the cars as the maintenance on them will be prohibitively expensive and/or complicated for the average consumer. instead, they will be a fleet vehicle, and one will be much like the other. and products will be sold to the passenger inside the car via advertising and tie-ins. as per usual. neutrality will fail due to the economics of the whole enterprise, and it will be a free for all among the tech companies to hoard their latest captive market for themselves. Sign into your Google Account to access your self driving car riding time period.

It's gonna be awful.

this is the dream of every silicon valley google exec and wannabe startup jockey and i'm looking forwards to being one of the few people who can visit things that are located on dirt roads or outside cellular coverage

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

blowfish posted:

sensors and computers are cheap you know

which is why the tesla has one camera and a bad radar

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

machine learning enthusiast: finally, it's AI's time to shine! it'll get the attention it never got in the 80s! I will finally be vindic*is run over by overfitting neural network*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Germstore posted:

why do you continue to pretend the only self driving cars are going to be google pod cars?

I'd say, "well a self driving vehicle with off road capabilities would have a steering wheel" but then you say "the google car doesn't have a steering wheel!" and the cycle begins anew.

well, as far as we know right now, the only two kinds of self-driving cars are the Google kind that trundles into buses and the Tesla kind that decapitates its owners at 255 mph. Looking at current technology, it only makes sense to go from our current capabilities to imagine what sort of wondrous and pleasant future we could have

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Germstore posted:

I'm not sure how seriously I take a think tank report written by non subject matter experts.

"RAND doesn't know anything, since they don't make self-driving cars. Tesla's press release said this was a statistical inevitability, and that their shareholders are proven right. I trust Elon, since he knows more about self-driving cars."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Zzulu posted:

can't wait to be killed by my car

same, honestly

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

Ive Seen the Future, and It Will Suck

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

still nobody can answer the question of what an autopilot tesla does in reaction to a megawatt of pulsed rf at 2.4ghz aimed at the front radar

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what's it gonna do, smart guy? decapitate me?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

me, talking to google car: OK Google, let's head off.
google car: *shows image of jared leto's the joker on infotainment system while aiming for the nearest semi trailer undercarriage at 99 mph* Command confirmed.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

i think you bitches are just jelly because u want a tesla but you can't even afford the $5k to get on the wait list

pretend i put the effort in to make a map of the united states with tiny little shaded blobs on the coasts and maybe in austin and chicago to indicate where you can drive with a tesla.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

idk why you people see some cussing and assume im super mad all the time and having a meltdown

you cuss a lot and also, like a meltdown, continue to react when you shouldn't, are very difficult to stop with methods that make sense to most humans, and are dense and energetic enough that you will slowly sink toward the center of the earth

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

you fat fucks probably quiver with envy when you see that the car can park itself "no more squeezing in and out of the spot with my fat rear end..."

unlike the other possibly misleading pictures I posted (tesla claims the model X crash there was the driver's fault), this one 100% definitively happened while the car was driving itself

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

yeah but let's be real you don't want to go to 99% of the USA 99.99% of the time you are in it

like once in a great while you can take a car trip and then you can just rent a car or whatever bc you wouldn't take your daily driver on a big road trip like a rube anyway, right?

1. wrong
2. Why wouldn't I want to take my daily driver on a road trip? It's a pre-2000 Volvo, so it'll last a very, very long time, and highway miles are easier on the car than city driving.
3. I like highway driving.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

1. k well i bought my car and have put 22k miles on it since and they've all been inside LA/orange/SD and Vegas, all of which is easily Tesla territory.

2. well if you have some shitbird Volvo then sure lol but I'm talking about adults with nice cars here

3. not relevant to anything. so do I.

wh'ats your car bitch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and have you ever lived outside a major metropolitan area

and why did you buy a new car, instead of leasing? the depreciation is gonna be killin' you man

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

it's just a 2015 mazda 3

mine's faster and I bet it makes better noises too and I can sleep in it on camping trips :smug:

Moridin920 posted:

look im just saying 'the coasts' is actually where most of the population is and most people don't really take super long road trips in their daily drivers very often so I don't think that's really a big burn on Tesla

all I know is that I'm living in the east bay area right now and if I drove a tesla model s instead of a volvo I would have to rent another, slower, less expensive car to go visit my dad, who lives in mendocino county.

spud posted:

The term Daily Driver makes me very angry.

Its a loving car. A CAR.

Sometimes I think America is more at odds with the Western World than Russia is.

Also "stick shift?" IT'S A MANUAL GEARBOX!!!

the "daily driver" is the car you drive to work every day, in contrast to a possible "project car," a truck used for working tasks, or an old convertible. many americans are affluent enough to own more than one car. I, in fact, own two; the other one is a 1988 Volvo 240 which was my first car and has broken down the same amount of times as my current 1998 V70R (none).

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 10, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

in all fairness thats an example similar to a situation of someone throwing rocks at cars from an overpass. when someone wants to go out of their way to mess with traffic, they generally succeed, even if its keying someones door.

you can't key someone's door in traffic though, and i'm not working on a way to throw rocks from an overpass

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

destroy all self driving cars before they destroy themselves

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

looks like you might have an answer real soon then

i'll fire whatever i'm powering with this thing at a tesla if someone volunteers their tesla, but the second most likely thing is that i just use it to blow up old electronic junk and stuff for youtube

most likely thing is i never finish it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

humans will never be able to make a thing that is as complex as this thing that already exists

~ a massive idiot

It exists, and it's real, and it murders people

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

lmao

German authority would not have approved beta-phase Tesla autopilot

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/752190828798353408

shadowvine118 posted:

How much did that guy spend on a car that doesn't have AC?

This solar furnace starts at $35,000.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

Murdered a person. You are so bitch made its not even funny. I hope you get killed by a drunk driver.

Whoa there, fella. It's just a car. It doesn't have feelings, and you don't have to feel empathy for it.

Moridin920 posted:

My original point is why wouldn't I buy an electric self driving car for long road trips and keep my daily driver for regular city driving? In response to 'why would anyone even need/want this.'

because your use cases are literally completely backwards, for one. "i'm going to buy a long-distance car that can't drive long distances, and use a gasoline car in the situation where it's worst!"

Moridin920 posted:

Are you retarded? Why would I drive an E55 AMG to Vegas when I could just rent a nice car instead and not have the beast suck down all my gas? $75/day pff you must be retarded. Costs like half that for a decent car with way better mileage.

where does mercedes come into this? we're talking about Teslas vs. real cars.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my favorite things about teslas:

1. they lose up to 40% of their range if it's cold out, like if a real car's gas tank shrank up like a polar bear club participant's dick

2. drove your car to work today? mother had a stroke and is dying in the hospital 150 miles away? lol good luck driving there, the car's still charging and won't be done for another 8 hours

3. the rear suspensions break and then tesla made anyone who wanted to have them fix it sign an agreement saying they wouldn't snitch to the NHTSA

4. They murder human beings

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i like my old volvo; it cost $1000 plus a transmission seal replacement and i had it shipped up from san diego towed by the pickup truck of a man named Billy.

it gets 32 mpg on flat highway with cruise control, goes 0-60 in 7.2 seconds (or 6.0 if I have the ECU reflashed someday to turn up the boost), it has AWD and enough space to hold pretty much anything I need to haul around, it has the most comfortable seats ever put in a car, and when I mash the go pedal it makes noises that make me feel masculine for once in my life

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

you sure seem real insecure about not owning a tesla

its ok, i once knew a guy who drove a volvo who got a pity lay

my wagon hauls rear end, and pussy!!!

edit: I like volvos because they're known for their safety, unlike the Tesla, which decapitates its driver

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 12, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the SEC is investigating Tesla for not disclosing information about the guy who got murdered by his car to investors

and another Model X tried to kill two people

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

well obviously it's not safe to drive on a road without cell phone reception. heck I bet tesla just voids your warranty outright

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Uh no why is an electric car suddenly not a long-distance car? An electric or hybrid car can make it to Vegas from SD just fine and the relative gas mileage savings are significant versus a gas car that isn't super efficient.

If you buy a Model S with the longest range (the 85D IIRC) and buy a Ford Fusion Ecoboost AWD it will only take you 99 years to pay off the difference in gas savings at current gas prices

try the math yourself

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Also, to change any settings on the car like the radio or HVAC, you have to take your eyes off the road and paw at an ipad

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Roylicious posted:

The more ya'll get in a froth about Teslas the more their share price goes up :)

I know. I own shares. I'm pumping it, baby

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

consumer reports agrees: tesla with autopilot are too dangerous

http://www.consumerreports.org/tesla/tesla-autopilot-too-much-autonomy-too-soon/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Butthead posted:

Autopilot should not be blamed for any of the accidents as the driver has the ability to override it any time and should be aware of what is happening.

Just like Pokemon Go should not blamed for idiots crossing highways and getting hit by vehicles.

Why can't anybody accept responsibility for their actions any more?

until it jerks the steering wheel into a wall because the lane markers disappeared in a construction zone and you don't have time to figure out what's going on and correct :rolleyes:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Elukka posted:

This is a thing but it's not that one-sided really. An electric car will lose a predictable amount of range in cold temperatures that you would take into account before buying one. A conventional car's battery will similarly lose power in cold temperatures which regularly causes cars with worn batteries to not start at all.

Lmao

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Anybody who spends pages rambling on about something they don't really know anything about and doesn't really matter is a loving loser and a tool, so yes in so many words.
man with anime avatar sticks his fingers in his ears and goes "la, la, la, la I can't hear you" when confronted by sensible yinzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

The year is 2046, because that is thirty years from 2016. I use my mobile app to summon an Uber autonomous cab to take me to work. It arrives with several major body panels missing. The door pops open and I slide into the back seat, careful to avoid the piles of feces and used needles littering the floor. The car shudders off like an old shopping cart, because two of the tires are blown. "This is progress," I think to myself.

• Locked thread