Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Apep727 posted:

So, humanity doesn't even have the excuse of "we didn't know the energy was coming from Hell" as a defense. I think the human race in this game maybe kinda deserves this.

As for the centering the weapons thing, I don't see how it makes aiming harder - you're literally looking down the gun's barrel, just shoot whatever's in front of you. I will admit, though, that most of the guns don't look nearly as good from that angle. It is a nice classic-Doom throw-back, though.

I haven't played Doom 4, but at least on video it looks kinda disorienting. I think the problem is how to tell how high you're aiming. It feels like if I was trying to aim the shotgun, I'd instinctively aim with the top of the barrels. I imagine the offset guns have their axis pass through the centerpoint, so there'd be a sort of intuitive double indication of where you're aiming. Even if there isn't, there isn't anything clogging up the vertical line like the centered guns do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Apep727 posted:

So, humanity doesn't even have the excuse of "we didn't know the energy was coming from Hell" as a defense. I think the human race in this game maybe kinda deserves this.

This is one of my favorite parts of the plot. In any other game the source of the UAC's miracle energy would be a secret that'd you'd have to uncover, but this is DOOM and the DOOM Marine doesn't need to untangle any conspiracies, just blast hordes of demons so the fracking of Hell is upfront.

And I am ashamed to admit that I did not fully upgrade the Super Shotgun on my first play through. Please forgive me my sacrilege.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

I haven't played Doom 4, but at least on video it looks kinda disorienting. I think the problem is how to tell how high you're aiming. It feels like if I was trying to aim the shotgun, I'd instinctively aim with the top of the barrels. I imagine the offset guns have their axis pass through the centerpoint, so there'd be a sort of intuitive double indication of where you're aiming. Even if there isn't, there isn't anything clogging up the vertical line like the centered guns do.

My aiming process always involves the imaginary diagonal line from the [normally positioned] weapon barrels to the center of the screen, the position of which I identify by seeing the crosshair. This must be why positioning the weapons in the center of the screen doesn't hurt my aim when I'm using the assault rifle: with my high FOV I can barely aim it anyway.

Samovar posted:

Well, what would a cult dedicated to going to hell BE if not filled with masochists?

Also, drat those imps give those fireballs some giddyup.

Sadists? :v:

White Coke posted:

And I am ashamed to admit that I did not fully upgrade the Super Shotgun on my first play through. Please forgive me my sacrilege.

Oh, I didn't mean that to include the mastery challenge. The mastery does help out, but getting it is bad and annoying.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Samovar posted:

Well, what would a cult dedicated to going to hell BE if not filled with masochists?

Wait, was it the cult that did that, or the company? I mean, we are talking about a megacorporation in a video game - casual disregard of basic morality is kind of standard.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I had the impression the company were standard cyberpunk megacorp #27, but their workforce grew into a cult from working with Hell all the time rather than being that way from the outset. Olivia's pre-recorded speech implies that not everyone on the base was in on the plan.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We'll get there in later updates :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Funny thing, I did find a game-braking bug on the last (or was it second-to-last?) level. You can jump to a place you shouldn't be able to and end up breaking triggers in such a way that you'll end up stuck between two closed doors with no way to open either.

Bruceski posted:

So basically you stopped them from fracking Hell, so now she's trying to enact Project Oilsand.

They were fracking hell, successfully. Until Olivia got the great idea of setting the well on fire, because she's developed pyromania somewhere along the line. Then Doomguy blew it out. And now she's trying to set the leaking remains on fire again.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 13, 2016

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Much like Doom Guy himself I haven't been giving the plot my full attention, but at what point did Olivia shed her meaty exterior? She did just look like a normal person at the start didn't she?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fwoderwick posted:

Much like Doom Guy himself I haven't been giving the plot my full attention, but at what point did Olivia shed her meaty exterior? She did just look like a normal person at the start didn't she?

She's always looked like that when we've seen her. It's some kind of exoskeleton to allow her to function in spite of her super crippling disease.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Fwoderwick posted:

We will see a sneaky image of her pre-exoskeleton and you may be sure as hell that I'll be using the word "meaty" when commenting on it

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The whole UAC/cult thing wasn't exactly subtle, but it was really well done in the sense that the slide from generic corporate marketing/PR jargon to drink-the-koolaid occult babble was seamless in its progression. If it wasn't an intentional side order of social commentary, it's nonetheless disconcerting how true to life even the creepier bits are in terms of tone and style to how any big business conveys its bullshit veneer of decency.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

White Coke posted:

Your lack of a fully-upgraded Super Shotgun is its own punishment :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

The whole UAC/cult thing wasn't exactly subtle, but it was really well done in the sense that the slide from generic corporate marketing/PR jargon to drink-the-koolaid occult babble was seamless in its progression. If it wasn't an intentional side order of social commentary, it's nonetheless disconcerting how true to life even the creepier bits are in terms of tone and style to how any big business conveys its bullshit veneer of decency.

They really did manage to put together an actually decent and fun good story with a whole bunch of neat details for people who spend the time reading everything and paying attention in-game, all while making it almost completely inobtrusive and unnecessary to playing the game. They hit the balance there pretty much perfectly imo. There's a bunch of other elements that are also pretty great, but I won't spoil those beyond saying that the characterisations for the few named characters (and Doomguy) are better than most people would expect. Dr. Hayden in particular is the best character of that type I've seen in a videogame in a long while.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 14, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

Oh, I didn't mean that to include the mastery challenge. The mastery does help out, but getting it is bad and annoying.

And it's also redundant if you get the appropriate rune.

CommissarMega posted:

Your lack of a fully-upgraded Super Shotgun is its own punishment :v:

Truly my life is Hell. One with its vast energy potential as yet untapped.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Note that Olivia has probably the lowest action to gloating ratio for an FPS antagonist, by recent standards anyway.

She's actually pretty good at her job, its just a shame she's up against doomguy. You know she knows not to taunt doomguy.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

White Coke posted:

Truly my life is Hell. One with its vast energy potential as yet untapped.

That reminds me. The best thing about that "potential energy" line from the corporate hologram is that in physics the potential energy of an object comes from the height it is from the ground (distance from its gravity source, whatever). Or more melodramatically: you get the energy out of it when it catastrophically plunges to the floor. It's a good metaphor for your UAC Mars employment arc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Magni posted:

They were fracking hell, successfully. Until Olivia got the great idea of setting the well on fire, because she's developed pyromania somewhere along the line. Then Doomguy blew it out. And now she's trying to set the leaking remains on fire again.

I know, but how often does one get to reference the plan to nuke Canada and hope oil comes out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

Note that Olivia has probably the lowest action to gloating ratio for an FPS antagonist, by recent standards anyway.

She's actually pretty good at her job, its just a shame she's up against doomguy. You know she knows not to taunt doomguy.

I donno, "you could not have saved them anyhow" pretty heavily implies impotence on doomguy's part. I don't think doomguy likes being told he can't/couldn't do something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

double nine posted:

I donno, "you could not have saved them anyhow" pretty heavily implies impotence on doomguy's part. I don't think doomguy likes being told he can't/couldn't do something.

Her tone in that scene actually seemed genuinely apologetic or consoling, which was a bit creepy when I first came across it.

In any case, she knows as much as anyone that doomguy or not, you just can't beat cut scene glass.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

double nine posted:

It also shows a lack of awareness about doomguy and his motives. Doomguy isn't here to save people, Doomguy is here to rip and tear demons until he's the only one left in the room

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I know, but how often does one get to reference the plan to nuke Canada and hope oil comes out.

Wait what?

So, uh, I didn't know about that particular thing until now. Guess you learn something new every day. :stare:

Though I guess I should have expected it given how nuke-crazy the 50's and 60's were. :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 14, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Magni posted:

Wait what?

So, uh, I didn't know about that particular thing until now. Guess you learn something new every day. :stare:

Though I guess I should have expected it given how nuke-crazy the 50's and 60's were. :v:

Eh, nuking to produce oil in the 60s, now in the 2010s it's drones to produce oil. Same thing, if you think about it. Kind of. In a way.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

That reminds me. The best thing about that "potential energy" line from the corporate hologram is that in physics the potential energy of an object comes from the height it is from the ground (distance from its gravity source, whatever). Or more melodramatically: you get the energy out of it when it catastrophically plunges to the floor. It's a good metaphor for your UAC Mars employment arc.

I didn't realize it until just now :stare:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Also, the new Sandcastle made me realize that I technically violated the 3 month rule (by a whole three days) when I was creating the thread.
Nice and reactionary :v:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Actually, that's only gravitational potential energy. There are other versions of potential energy out there, such as elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, nuclear potential energy, or mechanical potential energy. It's important to note that giving something potential energy means feeding energy into that particular system. There are more ways to do this than just lifting that particular system higher.

But the gist of what you're saying seems right. The employees are being set up to get farmed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

Also, the new Sandcastle made me realize that I technically violated the 3 month rule (by a whole three days) when I was creating the thread.
Nice and reactionary :v:
I think they ended that rule a while ago so you're good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bman in 2288 posted:

Actually, that's only gravitational potential energy. There are other versions of potential energy out there, such as elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, nuclear potential energy, or mechanical potential energy. It's important to note that giving something potential energy means feeding energy into that particular system. There are more ways to do this than just lifting that particular system higher.

But the gist of what you're saying seems right. The employees are being set up to get farmed.

Maybe the employees are a source of soular power.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bruceski posted:

Boo!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Okay, you earned that one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bruceski posted:

In that case UAC is going about harvesting their energy wrong since they've been trying to drat them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The real question is if their operation is all about Seul, why is their operation on Mars?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

The real question is if their operation is all about Seul, why is their operation on Mars?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I don't know what's worse; that Argent energy is risking invasion to hell through their tech. or manipulating energy supply so as to deliberately increase prices for themselves!

Oh wait.

It's the hell thing that's worse.

Edit: In all seriousness, this I think is the worst level yet. This is NOT good design for a run-and-gun; what with timed platforms. A shame.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 26, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It is a rather odd choice of level in a Doom game. Especially a Doom game that has, until now, done such a good job of capturing the run-and-gun feel of the original.

I guess they had to have one jumping puzzle as a sacrifice to Astaroth?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
There was probably some publisher mandate that this had to happen. It's not an open world, it's not got a hamfisted morality choice system, there aren't territories to uncover and control, there isn't an economy system or any method of microtransactions, there's just a lot of guns and things to brutally kill. And a lot of collectibles, so at least that box is ticked already.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In the "let my kids play Doom" sense, you'd be a better parent than both of mine. Gory video games were not on the menu for me as a kid, although for some reason my mom made an exception whenever I wanted to rent a Turok game. Notably, though, I never rented Turok 2, and now that I'm watching an LP of it, I can say that it's the bloodiest game that I've ever seen, even more so than Doom 2016 because it really embellishes the nasty deaths.

As lovely as Doom 2016 seems- it really does remind me of Metroid Prime in a few ways- jumping puzzles and FPS games never mix. This seems like the equivalent of the underwater frigate, except less annoying because you don't have to reactivate any doors, or at least not in such an annoying way as you did in MP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Samovar posted:

Edit: In all seriousness, this I think is the worst level yet. This is NOT good design for a run-and-gun; what with timed platforms. A shame.

I think there's one worse level in the game. And just like this one, the one before it was so good!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I have to admit I didn't mind the ascent at all, I thought it was a nice bit of variety.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, yeah. They're not just out of fossil fuels, they're out of fissionables. Shutting down argent energy all of a sudden means mankind is hosed. And chances are it's not "new Dark Age" levels of hosed we're talking, but more like "downwards spiral to extinction" levels of hosed. Puts a bit of perspective on the whole question of how desperate they had to be to go all-in on this exploiting hell gig.

Also, I love Hayden refusing to call it Hell - it comes over as more of a gesture of disdain towards Hell and the demons mixed with scientist hubris imo. "Save the biblical act for the superstitious. You're just a bunch of nasty extradimensional aliens to me."

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Should have just referred to it as the dimension of Heck.

• Locked thread