Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Jacques Renault, Tiefling Wizard

Emptiness. Void. An almost entirely blank slate. My memory could have been aptly described using such words, save for a name. Mine.

But that was enough. If my heritage had taught me anything, it was that names had power, even if only to give ground to stand on.

quote:

Jacques Renault | Tiefling Wizard

HP: 7/7 | AC: 12 | Int. +2

STR: 8 | DEX: 14 | CON: 13
INT: 16 (prof.) | WIS: 10 (prof.) | CHA: 14

Racial
Size: Med. | Speed: 30
Darkvision | Hellish Resistance| Infernal Legacy

Languages: Common, Infernal
Skills: Arcana (+5), History (+5)

Class
Arcane Recovery | Ritual Casting
Familiar: Bartholomew (Celestial Cat)

Spells
Spell Attack Modifier: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Spells Slots: 1st-level - 2/2
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Chill Touch, Control Flames, Thaumaturgy
1st-level Spells: Find Familiar, Mage Armor, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave, Magic Missile, Detect Magic

Inventory
Weapons: Bone Dagger +4 hit/d4+2
Armor: Tattered Rags
Caster Items: Hide Spellbook | Component Pouch
Other: Explorer's Pack

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Jacques Renault

quote:

You hear the whispers of hushed voices down long hallways. There is the smell of burning incense covering musty rooms. You see a face, half-formed and transparent. But it doesn't feel scary - it feels familiar, and this place feels like home. Looking out a window, there is only grey sky, overcast and gloomy. There is something else, too, a secret...

Naught but a fragment, a piece of the shattered puzzle, and still a vague one at that. But... it was comforting, in a curious way. I supposed being able to latch onto anything, anything at all in this strange hour would do. While the stump wasn't the most pleasant place to sit, it would do to be polite and listen, at least until I had my bearings. Out of curiosity, I begin to probe my "interviewer" in the Infernal tongue.

"Do you speak? No? How unfortunate. Or perhaps you are merely pretending not to understand? I cannot comprehend why you would do such a thing, but-"

I pause, noticing all of the stares I'm receiving, and resume in the Common tongue.

"My apologies; after all the rest I find myself rather excitable. I was simply questioning if you understood me, that was all, but I am quite willing to converse in this language as well. Might I know with whom I am speaking? A name, at least? I see. Tainting my memories, hmm...?"

All in all, it was pointless to detail in words how suspicious the entire situation was. With a needlessly dramatic sigh, my fingers curl unconsciously as if to pet the air. My brow raises at the gesture, and I stare for a moment before locking eyes again with the woman.

"Right, my memories, was it? What I recall is...whispers. The exact words, sadly, escape my grasp, but there was the scent of incense in the air and a specter-like image of a face. Some kind of ritual, perhaps. One that I was not involved in, or so I believe. Ah, the weather outside was rather dreary, dark and seemed likely to rain..."

That should be enough to satisfy, I thought. There was more to the memory that would perhaps be of interest, but I felt no desire to share feelings with these strangers, and secrets... Well, secrets were meant to be kept.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Jacques Renault

The woman leaves, and immediately the surroundings burst with noise. Not surprising, considering how isolated all of us had been for the last...however long we had been here. Days? Weeks? And it wasn't as if the woman had exactly been an interesting conversationalist. Now that she had left, however, I was left with the opportunity to collect my thoughts. Once more, my fingers curl unconsciously and my lips into a frown. I was forgetting something. Or someone? Food for thought, and I would have to investigate later, but for now it was important to focus on what I knew for certain. Which, admittedly, was not very much.

Magar. The current topic of discussion, and an individual we all seemed to remember. Unlikely to be a coincidence. Possible, but unlikely. What was it they were asking about? The color of his breastplate? From my memory, it was... Even that was hard to recall. However, at the moment red was the most common answer, and there appeared no reason to go against the crowd here.

"Indeed, as many of the others have also claimed, my memory is that the man's armor was a splendid crimson. A fine hue, indeed."

Clasping my arms tightly, a quick glance around the encampment revealed that as far as I could tell, I was the only one here of my kind. Worrying. Common sense told me that being the last of my kind was near impossible but... the guards had mentioned a plague of some sort, after all. One that I had fortunately managed to survive, as well those before me. Time would tell for the others.

The only scrap of information left was drinking from the horn offered by this Magar, and the words he had spoken after. Visirian, he had said? Presumably, a kind of people. Or a cult? Drinking blood was a possible initiation ritual, especially if I had been the one to gather the blood myself. Was that it then? Or was it something else?

No point in thinking so hard when lacking so many pieces, I supposed.

Spells
1st-level Spells: Find Familiar, Mage Armor, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave, Magic Missile, Detect Magic
Prepared Spells
1st-level Spells: Find Familiar, Mage Armor, Thunderwave, Detect Magic

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 12, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

"It was sheer coincidence that so many of us happened to remember the same person in the same red armor."

Jacques Renault

"And might I ask what reason you have to be so certain? If it was only two, perhaps three of us, then I would be more willing to label it coincidence. But with this many individuals all recalling the same man?"

The words slip out before I can stop myself. How brash, how reckless, I reprimand myself with a click of the tongue. I had no more proof than she, only instinct, yet I spoke out like a young fool. So be it then. I gesture towards the woman from the...ship? as I continue onwards.

"Furthermore, this one mentioned a goblet filled to the brim with blood. I myself shared the same detail in my version of the memory, and I am willing to conjecture that most of you are the same. Perhaps the reason we visualize this Magar's armor as red is because the goblet is so ingrained into our minds?"

Spells
Prepared Spells

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 13, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

quote:

Vilnius
Half-elf Cleric (Tempest)

"I think it might be prudent if we keep this Magar character just between us... inmates?"

Jacques Renault

"It is most unfortunate, but I believe that will be impossible. That one... Glory, is it? And the gold haired one have already mentioned the name to the woman who spoke to us."

Inmates... were we prisoners? Considering our attire, or lack thereof, we were far from honored guests. But we had yet to be mistreated either. The girl that called herself Sip seemed rather intent we find wear for ourselves, and it was a matter to follow up on later, but assessing the situation as best as they could was of greater import.

"And my apologies for not introducing myself sooner. My name is..."

A prickling at the back of my mind. Something I had forgotten? I stop, trying to focus, but the sensation fades.

"...Hmm. You may call me Jacques Renault. Simply Jacques is fine."

Spells
Prepared Spells

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Jacques Renault

A curious slip of the tongue the dwarf made. Inmates, Vilnius had said. Perhaps there was truth in that after all. Somehow, the dwarf and the woman had given off conflicting auras in their treatment of myself and the others. Temporary allies then? Or merely differences in temperament? So many questions, not nearly enough information. For now, I decided, it would be best to some gather some provisions together. I had already accustomed to the rags I was wearing, and my build wasn't the sort to cart around some of the thicker looking pieces of armaments. Still, something simple to defend myself wouldn't hurt, and among the gear was a twisted bone knife that I tucked away into one of the several packs that laid about.

Some time later, I had gathered together what I felt was satisfactory supplies for the travels ahead. Rope, rations, a waterskin... all kinds of supplies one who was exploring the world on their own needed to survive. Even some clay bowls and more bone cutlery, in case I ever felt the desire to cook, as well as what appeared to be a bedroll made from cowhide, although I wasn't entirely certain.

"Hmm, that should do for necessities, I think. Anything else here of value to me...?"

For a moment, I almost turned away and left when my eyes fell upon a small pouch unnoticed. Curious, I rummaged through, pulling a surprising variety of odds and ends.

"These are...some kind of herbal leaves? Medicinal, perhaps? Spices, too. Feathers? Strange for one pouch to have all of these."

Logically, I didn't have much use for any of these, but I found myself tucking it into one of the outside pockets of my pack where it would be easy to reach. After all, I rationalized to myself, it was really impossible to predict what you might need in the future. Thinking that, my attention was drawn to a piece of hide beside the pouch with several peculiar symbols carved into it.

"My, now what is this? Some form of writing?"

Crackling flames that roared throughout the village, from house to barn. Fields that had been cared after for years, decades, possibly centuries. Smoke that rose into the starlit sky, blackening out the beautiful night. I stumble, catching myself as I look downward. A charred corpse that can't be identified. One of ours? One of the villagers? A bystander who somehow managed to get caught up in this? Didn't matter, don't think of it; the result was the same regardless. My fingers twitch, and the fire continues to spread, leaping from one hovel to another.

Footsteps from behind, heavy from the armor he wore. No reason to look, I know who it is. Something else in the corner of my vision, its fur white as the unseen clouds, comes beside me and sits. It looks at me...disappointed? Resigned? Displeased at my actions but unwilling or unable to argue otherwise.

"It had to be done," Magar needlessly tells me. "We cannot afford to leave any traces behind."

His armor, I realized, was a stark scarlet. From someone who tried to run, perhaps. Would claim that it was necessary if I asked, and likely it was. Yet the gleam in his eyes always appeared to me as if he enjoyed it. His movement pauses behind me expectantly, and so I turn to look. A goblet filled to the brim, offered.

"Drink."

"...Curious symbols, these. Why two different hands? And this one is...a cat's eyes?"

Mumbling to myself, I find my feet beginning to take me out as I look over the hide.

Got me a bone dagger/knife, component pouch, explorer's pack, and of course ye olde spellbook.

Spells
Prepared Spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Jacques Renault

For one fleeting, wondrous instant, some of the fog that clouded my thoughts felt as if it would part as I peered over the symbols inscribed into the hide. All of the chatter, the speculation, the rambling was drowned out as my claw-like fingers traced line after line. Then the feeling was lost as shouting and the sounds of conflict filled the air. My concentration disturbed, I began to follow after the woman without having yet fully comprehended the situation.

"Hold a moment, just what exactly is-"

A scene of carnage surrounded us. Devastation. Violence. Viscera and gore, blood and death, chaos and madness. Focus, Jacques, I told myself. Anything you can gleam here could be vital later. Assuming I lived, another part of me replied, and staying to analyze the situation wouldn't help with that. That, I answered back, was an admittedly valid point. Already the woman as well as the one called Glory had made a fair amount of distance while I was lollygagging. Though the desire to linger for even a few seconds threatened to overpower my senses, I shrugged it off and chased as quickly as I could after the others, refusing to turn about no matter how much I wished to.

How far had we gone? I couldn't tell, but already I had begun to lose breath. The others appeared to be in better condition than I, though not by much. Close by, the one called Glory strips himself of that...curious choice of armor, and a laugh mixed with fatigue and bitterness escapes my lips as I watch. What I would have given for the strength to wear something like that in a situation like this!

"As you say... Who knows how close our pursuers may be?"

Spells
Prepared Spells

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 15, 2016

• Locked thread