Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
does disgusting coward still post here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Thanks Bluedeanie for reminding me that I want to see TJ / Dodson 2 so bad

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

The guy he blinded (in one eye) was Yuki Nakai, who not only won that match (heelhooked Gordeau) he then went on to win his next match in the tournament and lose to Rickson Gracie in the finals. He then proceeded to keep the fact that he'd been partially blinded secret for years because he feared that it would damage the image of mma as a legitimate sport.

holy poo poo

Bluedeanie posted:

Sorry the FAQs took me this long to get posted, it took me longer than I thought!

If you are super new to MMA, please don't hesitate to ask for anything else to be added to this and I will do my best. I want this to be helpful and informative.

holy poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

can someone give me a brief (or not-so-brief, if you're so inclined) history of joe silva / sean shelby? i've heard bits and pieces about joe and he fascinates me insofar as he's a way bigger fan of this than i can ever be but i know loving nothing about sean shelby and they have both gotten insanely good at their jobs.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thank you both that's good poo poo

rad article posted:

As I would learn during my hour-long conversation with the two, the paranoia wasn’t unfounded. Turns out that the last time someone told Shelby he had to have his photo taken was when Zuffa needed new ID badges for all employees in the Las Vegas office. So Shelby did his part, sat for his headshot, then went about his day.

Only later did he learn that there were no ID badges, that it was all a ruse set up by UFC President Dana White, who had planned to use Shelby’s photo for a “40-Year-Old Virgin”-themed billboard in Vegas. You know, as a prank. Which White was willing to spend $12,000 on, according to Shelby.

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This thread should have some cool videos and I was just rewatching this which is one of my alltime faves, courtesy (I think) of Lobstermobster

https://vid.me/cBKc

this is literally the only time i've seen condit gassed. it only took like 500 strikes thrown and a severe beating

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Speaking of Roy Nelson- I used to really like watching TUF (there's something about the possibility of a lovely person getting punched in the face on every episode that makes it must see for me) but I haven't really had a chance to watch anything after the Roy Nelson/Kimbo Slice season (9? 10?). Who are the most notable fighters from recent seasons? The best matches? What drunk rear end drama and ridiculous producer-created plot twists did I miss? Are the international seasons any good? Thanks!

season 12 is koscheck / gsp and is basically a must watch.

season 14 is top shelf tuf with bisping / miller as coaches. tj dillashaw, john dodson, diego brandao, dennis bermudez, there's some top flight talent having rad as gently caress fights just about every episode and i can't recommend it more highly.

season 15 is tuf live and is a fresh take on the format with cruz / faber as the coaches that i really enjoyed. it also has one of the most satisfying narratives in the show's history.

i stopped watching after 15.

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Are the international seasons any good? Thanks!

didn't watch but i'm going to say no with authority.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Also Frankie eddy and edson Barboza train with Mark Henry and Ricardo almeida which are two different entities entirely but constitute their camp.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Also none of us mentioned serra/longo, the real best camp.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

Cool ty. Why was he so successful?

he developed a devastating jab when only like 6 people in the ufc used one. also after his first loss to huges he decided that he should be the best wrestler in mma and then did that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Only three things excite him; a woman, of course, dinosaurs and the violence of the octagon.

That is good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I enjoy Willie's shtick and will vigorously protest(type on the internet) any banning

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Each of gsp's losses lead to an immediate and dramatic improvement.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

getting called a homo is what got georges to where he is now

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

willie's gsp = gay thing has gone on for so long now it's like the sideshow bob rake scene. also unless i'm missing something, willie never attaches any positive or negative connotations to gsp being gay, so it seems like a really weird thing to get angry about.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

If there were no negative connotations to it then it wouldn't be noteworthy whatsoever to him.

i was at a pool party in downtown la and got talking to this guy who after about 2000 mimosas told me in confidence that he'd hosed keanu reeves. i didn't find that interesting because i hate gays, but because i thought keanu was straight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

But then you'd also say "some guy at a pool party in downtown LA told me Keanu was gay" and not spend the next 5 years every time Keanu was brought up acting like you're some super sleuth with speed dial to all his previous lovers and constantly jab at another person's sexual preference.

ok but maybe consider that willie's doing it because it's his schtick and not because he can't find an easier way to let everyone know he hates gays than a 5 year long running joke

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

causing people to snap and get legitimately angry is definitely a reason people have gimmicks, yes. i'm not sure people use gimmicks to brainwash mixed martial arts forums with anti-gay vitriol but if that really is the reason for willie's than i have to at least praise it for being pretty high-concept

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I've noticed that a problem keeping me from enjoying real life actual fights as much as I could is that punches always seem weightless from a third person perspective. Not kicks, kicks that result in KOs always seem brutal, but punches it's like...someone glides their hand through the air, touches the other person, and they just fall to the floor. It's kind of anti climactic.

Maybe I should stick to rasslin.

get punched in the face

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

There aren't a ton of punches here, but try this - http://uproxx.com/sports/loudest-hits-mma/

i really wish more videos were still available but the kyle noke liver kick remains one of the most haunting things i have ever heard.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

JDS looked great against Rothwell.

Yeah I've never understood the assertion 'he's not the same!' *beats the current literal world champion* *loses against the next title challenger who has always had the capacity to kill anyone* *gently caress up rothwell*

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

I thought he looked flat, but it turns out Stipe is really good, so that was probably it

To be fair stipe's efforts against struve were really fresh at that point and even now that they're not fresh and he's the champ I'm still waiting for him to lose to Dave Herman in some z league

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Good strikers make a point of not cocking their hands prior to punching. poo poo even reasonably competent strikers can do this while adding some defence and ensuring your punches travel the shortest distance to target.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

It's less to do with cocking and more that you see a high hand as soon as it starts moving, whereas a low hand can have travelled a bit before your vision registers it, on account of how peripheral vision works.

Yes, but in the traditional boxing stance the fists can be given the illusion of movement behind movement of the hips, shoulders, or just by feinting. There's a reason you can still evade punches coming from below your peripheral, and that's because it takes many movements to throw a punch, some of which you can always see.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

The "traditional" boxing stance doesn't have both your hands at your face, either, which is why actual boxers that do so are a rarity

All I'm saying is that actual physically being able to see the gloves at their resting position is not the boon it was made out to be and uses of feints and other types of movement if you were just looking for any movement of the glove itself would be literally worthless.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

that's not true. feints and footwork and movement are worth much more than convincing a guy to drop his impervious double forearm guard. like it's a huge oversimplification to say that is like the ultimate defense like being the homunculus from full metal alchemist

Hahahahahahaha

I don't know what the gently caress you think I'm talking about but I'm going to say if I ever had a point it's been lost in my complete inability to articulate the argument. Apologies to all.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I get what you're saying, you're just not right? it's late, fatherdog can probably articulate this better

e: yeah hiding your gloves outside of the periphery by not holding them at eye level is a very useful technique which real people do all the time and is responsible for probably a whole lot of good knockouts from fists you don't see coming

I am not arguing that. At all. I'm saying the punch you don't see coming can come from eye level, and does all the time, if properly disguised by feints and other subtle movements of the body. 'seeing' the gloves means gently caress all, see also, goal keepers in soccer penalties. The ball is right there! Just follow it! *dives in complete opposite direction*

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Diving to save penalties is almost always a complete guess, I'm not sure it's a great analogy.

it's a good enough analogy for the importance being able to see the glove the entire time has to whether or not you get punched.

you don't watch gloves when you're fighting and react whenever you see them move. it's too fast, and you'd look like a retard treating every single feint and movement like a punch. you are taking in just an enormous amount of information coming from insanely subtle and not-so-subtle cues across the entire body of another human. it's hard to explain but having your fists just out of peripheral vision does not mean you can now land at will (see also: kicks of any kind) and with any advantages it actually has it comes with it a whole big bunch of negatives.

it's a style of fighting no more or less legitimate than basically any other, it depends mostly on the artist.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

College Rockout posted:

What do people here think of the Portland UFC Fight Night Card?
http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-portland?id=

I can see this card live but I don't know the fighters well enough to know if this is a good card or not.
I figure Lineker/Dodson will be insane but I'm worried that that might be a quick fight.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this card worth the $150 or so to see live?

go see that loving card. ufc events are always fun live regardless of quality, but lineker / dodson is very relevant and sick, ill will brooks is fresh from bellator and an insanely good fighter fighting 'the other cowboy' who has literally never had a boring fight. speaking of not having a boring fight, it's louis smolka beating the poo poo out of baby pettis! barncat fighting marquardt? why? who the gently caress cares barncat is awesome.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Blocking with your shin.

by doing this, it will hurt them as much as it hurts you and the kick is no longer considered a scoring strike

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Barboza / Pettis
Poirier / Duffy
Conor / Nate
Jones / Gustafsson

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

It's a good opportunity for fighters with personalities to show those personalities.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

How has no one said matt brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'm obviously in the minority here, but i can't watch that fight more than once a year. it's such a savage beating that even the surprise ending doesn't make it any more comfortable to watch

• Locked thread