Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IceBorg posted:

All I know is that the opening is amazing and that my boy Hagakure will survive this whole thing because he's that kinda guy who doesn't do anything and never dies( hell he was outside when they were attacked so he isn't even part of the killing game in the first place it looks like)

I imagine he'll be part of the rescue party on the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think everyone expects the other shoe to drop at some point in Side:Despair, particularly due to the stinger at the end of the first episode. If and when that other shoe drops, I'm curious if they'll reenact the Twilight mystery thing from DR2 and we'll learn who E-ko was.

Edit: Also only just started Side:Despair after marathoning watching LPs of DR2.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

Judging by that timeline, I imagine there will probably be one or two more episodes of the Despair arc where things are mostly nice and happy, with whatever's happening to Hajime going on in the background unrelated to the others. Then at some point it will cover the murder of the girl, and after that who knows. I guess the 78th class will show up and then the series will chronicle the descent into Despair.

Wasn't the girl that was murdered Fuyuhiko's sister? That was the whole motivation behind Trial 2.

Unnamed girl that was murdered was his younger sister.

Moltrey posted:

God, it's crazy how little space the actual games take up on that timeline

Most of it is Side:Despair's fault since it's supposed to take place over three years. The games take place over ~1 month or 2. Presumably Side:Future takes place over the same time frame. I don't actually remember how long after DR1 DR2 takes place though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Great Gozu status: still the best.
Meanwhile, silver-haired guy manages to be the worst with his high school debate class-level logic.

Well he's only a SHSL Class President.

So this is basically Werewolf/Mafia, but with an active component and every player has a restricted action.

I actually sort of hope the reformed Remnants storm the place and rescue everyone (who's left alive anyways) at some point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Afaict, it also looks like SHSL Seitokaicho's restriction is that he can't open doors. Wheelchair girl might be she can't be touched and Kirigiri's looks like it has something to do with Naegi.

Also here's a crack theory from 4chan

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

At the very least, he'll be prime suspect what with him having blood on his hands.

Stabbing at a downward angle wouldn't blood on his hands though. Especially not the palms of his hands.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At the rate they're going, I honestly think the current "game" won't last the entire 12 episodes, at least not without some fuckhuge interruption where it starts turning into a partial battle shonen with each of them trying to con each other into their forbidden action.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So when Hinata gets the surgery, will his eyes turn from zeroes to ones?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Munakata is an rear end in a top hat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's the Wheelchair/wheelchair girl. The fakeout was so she could retract whatever it/she used to put Gozu up where he was with enough time to spare.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
RIP SHSHL Pharmacist's braces

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Think of it what will happen if she does.

Anyway, I wish I had some kind of fighting game with create-a-character, because I want to make Sakakura and and pummel him

It's not an if, it's a when and when it does happen, it'll be heart breaking (possibly literally)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Chiaki was elected as the class' representative on the student council, right? (Or is that different to class president?)

It's different.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Oh, ok. I was seeing a lot of places saying it was the same thing.

Being class rep can get you a seat on the student council, but I think it varies between schools. I may be wrong so it could be the case that Chiaki will find her way onto the student council with Izuryu

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd like to watch Sakakura versus Sakura

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That might mean Togami and Toko might show up

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Izayoi needs a better dental plan

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

I wasn't too into just how over the top Junko is, right out of the gate, but whatever. That's the only real exposure of her that the games really depicted, so it's not really surprising. I don't know if she was just casually dropping grenades and bombs everywhere in the novels though.

One of the things I dislike about Future is how it misses what I consider to be one of the strengths of Danganronpa. The cast all typically had something to do or contribute to the conversation, even when they were wrong. If I remember correctly, Oren pointed that out back in the old LP days too. I feel like that's kind of missing here, and some characters are really fading into the background. Despair seems to generally be handling it a little bit better even with the 20 minute anime episode time limit.

If Side:Future was a video game, it's probably be an Action game or even a short Fighting game with story bits in between each fight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm somewhat surprised there isn't crossover fan art with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mahiru is probably the most dangerous despair. I mean, she has a body count on par with everyone else and she's just a photographer.

Imagine the kind of stuff she'd have to do to keep up with the people with talents that make murdering easy. :ohdear:

Propaganda and despair inducing photos are what I assume the tools of her trade are so it's about as Despair inducing as Dancing and Light Music.

Regarding the episode, the deaths are all sorta following the patter in DR1 and 2, right? #3 is the double homicide and the next will be the suicide iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

littleorv posted:

Have you seen Sayonara Zetsubou San?

Kafuka would probably either be Junko's greatest nemesis or her greatest unwitting pawn.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I never read Zero so I wasn't aware of Junko's true talent, but her logic sort of makes sense in that rather than becoming completely despondent and bored with everything being entirely predictable, she figured out how to keep things fresh and exciting: by despair. Part of Alfalfa's analysis is probably correct, but the boredom angle fits in too. Feeling despair or watching others in despair is the only way she can have any sort of feeling. Otherwise, she's as bored as Izuru becomes. It's almost Joker-ish in a way as they both seem to cause chaos that seems absolutely random (and in some cases is), but in other cases it all actually culminates to something larger, more elaborate and ultimately more devastating. But while the Joker aims toward creating "chaos," Junko aims towards creating "despair."

Izuru very much seemed like a tabula rasa when Junko met him so if someone like Yukizome or even Komaeda met him first, something very different probably would have happened. I'm also fairly certain Junko and Izuzru's super analytic skills would be no match for Komaeda's luck.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yinlock posted:

This is perhaps the best possible way Monaca's character arc could have gone.

"Could it be that instilling turbo-cynicism in a growing child WOULDN'T make them become the next Antichrist but instead a weird shut-in? No that's silly clearly my plan is flawless"

good job, Nagito

It's his SHSL Luck in action :pseudo:

I also see this episode as a sendoff to UDG in a "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out" or a "you were expecting some epic send off to Monaca? Too bad!" sort of way

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore." - Monaca Towa

I love how she just becomes cynical about all of the silly things in this series and decided she wants no part of it anymore.

There were two choices for Monaca: Leave a world that didn't want her or destroy it. We thought it was the latter, but Monaca was like gently caress this poo poo and became the SESL Neet. Maybe she'll come back to Earth when she becomes a SHSL Neet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

Was the island Nagito was stuck on Jabberwock Island? Maybe they're setting up how he's able to escape from the island unnoticed and appear in the Future arc.

Also, I'm wondering what's going to happen to Chiaki now, since everyone was predicting she'd get involved in the student council massacre and get killed there.

I wonder if the next episode of the Despair arc is going to cover the events of DR Zero. If Matsuda is going to show up, then maybe we'll finally see the real Miaya in the despair arc, and learn what her deal is. With the Neo World Program and the Alter Egos, I get the feeling that there's some connection between Chiaki and Miaya, since there has to be a reason for the existence of the AI Chiaki.

Komaeda crashed in a desert (presumably the only survivor) and found a perfect oasis.

I imagine Junko uses Mitarai's anime to enact the mass suicide rather than some cult of personality thing that seemed to be implied which makes more sense. Mitarai's anime in its own right is actually kinda disturbing in how it actually affects people.

It'd be nice to see that Chiaki actually survived but essentially secluded herself and wanted nothing to do with anything after finally seeing Izuru. A more Despairing alternative, is that she's the mastermind of the Future-side and her ultimate goal is vengeance against the Future Foundation for the creation of Izuru and Naegi for releasing him.

Edit: My reaction to this episode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jGYAbjIOI

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 25, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My first thought when I saw the killing game class was just "haha look at all these characters that didn't make it into the final game". Some where nice though.

Green-haired girl totally loved her some murder though jeez.

Only thing really known is that on the boat ride Izuru says "I'm going to use Junko like she used me."

The murders hit a disturbing mix of cruelty and over-the-top violence. Very uncomfortable.

As for Izuru, his existence is already a Casus Belli for the Reserve students to revolt. The mutual killings and the subsequent cover-up were the things guaranteed to push them over the edge to full-on public outcry. DR2 stated that he was the one that led the charge in the revolts, but he probably didn't realize the full extent of how much he was being played by Junko.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Actually, the whole premise that Izuru finds despair interesting because it's unpredictable or whatever seems like it would actually be the opposite of reality. People who are experiencing emotions like fear or despair are more predictable, not less. There are a million things more difficult to predict than the way someone might react to despair.

This is probably true. Once the panic sets in, people tend to move on instinct and any sort of finesse goes out the window for anything that extends self preservation. If a person's habits, background and personality are known, it's presumably easier to predict their actions. The idea that people in a panic act more unpredictably is more likely to be true with the assumption that people tend to act "rationally" and thus "predictably" when calm with a secondary assumption that a rational action is completely objective

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

I was really rooting for Ruruka to be the "rear end who learns important life lessons" but her actions today are just straight up unforgivable.

That role will be be played by Sakakura

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also apparently Ruruka is even more unsympathetic then we thought she was. Appearntly her candies have a bit of a brainwashing effect and she was using them to control Izayoi. Or something like that

I think that was a special candy that she used.

Edit: I expect Togami to be okay because of course he would be. I'm fairly certain that everyone's in some sort of underground duplicate of the building and the Monokuma door probably doesn't actually go anywhere

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 29, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Lots of forbidden actions revealed in this episode, I like it.

It's kinda worrying we still don't know what Gozu's was. Or Chisa's.

I also like how Ruruka's code means she cannot live, hopefully, if it is exactly "No one can leave"

Well presumably she could live once the "game" was over.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Either Munakata's the killer or Naegi is. If it's Munakata, he might be aware of it because Tengan told him and he gave zero fucks. That might explain why he killed Juzo so suddenly. Naegi could also be the killer with the caveat that it's all subconscious or otherwise something he's done without any awareness. In addition, he's given a temporary dose of strength juice so as to pull off some of the kills that he's done. One note is that his NG code still works so it brings up the question of range since he can't exactly run there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Yeah... that torture scene was really too much. The Clockwork Orange-esque chair was already gruesome, but Mukuro just casually lobotomizing her retroactively makes her redemption story in Dangan IF kind of unwarranted. Granted that's a spinoff but still.

But yeah I'm assuming Chisa is the mastermind, and is using the video to brainwash multiple attackers into murder. However in order to get the game going, she began with her own death and is running it on an automated system.

An automated system seems like it makes sense as well.

Also, lol at the Impostor's unmasking.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Crack Theory time: The real, brainwashed Yukizome ends up missing/presumed dead. Chiaki asks the Imposter to make her look like Yukizome in her grief and to prevent any questions. This is the person killed at the FF in Future. The real Yukizome is running the despair game, still brainwashed and using Munakata as her pawn.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Side Future would've been better serviced as a Fighting game with branches depending on whose story you wanted to follow.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

DR3 Character Compatibility Quiz
And a translation for what the questions mean

May you have a favorable outcome that's better than me getting stuck with loving Koizumi

Same, but Koizumi a cute in a childhood friend way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

The photo with Chisa claiming she killed the people covered up in the photo was pretty funny. When did Munakata get that again? I think Chisa had the pictures on her, and he got them when he stabbed her, but I'm not really sure. I guess it confirms that Chisa remained a Despair until she died at the start, and didn't get fixed from her brainwashing/lobotomy.

Either Chisa gave those to him at some point previously as a plot to push him into despair or Chisa left them for him after she died (which would requirea rewatch of he first and second episodes)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Completely Average Ahoge, Lucky Ahoge, Convicted Ahoge, and Normie Ahoge.

Hey, one guy survived.

He just got killed by a guy with an ahoge later.

Robo guy from v3 also has an ahoge so he gets to have a spot in the ahoge club

At least this confirms that Izuru wasn't completely without his memories given that he teared up at Chiaki's death even if he consciously didn't understand why. I guess Izuru/Hinata will come to the rescue at the end to finally avenge Chiaki's death that was committed, in part, by Yukizome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

rip Super High School Level Nail Artist, killed by a gross nurse

The sixteenth person was always Hagakure. People who thought the survivor counter was an actual in-universe thing just misunderstood its purpose in raising tension for the viewer

SHSL Manicurist getting owned by the nurse while the SHSL Sniper can't figure out how to not get hosed up by glare. The SHSL Clown/Entertainer was at least amusing.

Honestly, if the entire backhalf of the series was just the DR2 cast owning bones, I probably wouldn't have minded. In fact, I really want there to be a SoL-type series with the DR2 cast either as a "What if all the bad things never happened?" or a goofy sequel series of the "Despairs" sailing around the world bringing Hope and being the villains the world needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

It's sunk in a little more. The fact that they covered up Tengan's actions and what happened in the building feels wrong to me. I feel like lying about FF like that goes against this' series vague definition of hope.

It's a comedy of errors at the end of it all and it'll probably fall apart again like a house of cards

• Locked thread