Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Having lived through the 2013 Dangan Mafia era with friends, I find it heavily ironic that the Final Killing game is basically a game of Mafia.

I don't know if I agree with Bandai dying in such a lame manner as "being forbidden to witness any violence", but god, that ending was a punch to the gut. Guess Sakura's letter to Asahina telling her to survive is pretty much rendered useless now, huh?

The developers were originally going to kill off Kuzuryu in chapter 3 of DR2, but killed off Saionji instead to make Peko's death mean more. One would hope they would apply the same logic here but :geno:.

No despair, just apathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They did the same thing with Ishimaru in the first game, annoyingly enough.

:smith:

My brother almost lost interest in the game at that point, since it made two cool dudes pointless.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm just glad Hagakure and Byakuya have better odds than most. (At least, one would think :negative:)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

One of my favorite moments with Kirigiri was around chapter... 4? Where she's basically throwing a temper tantrum and not talking to her because you withheld information from her. She's of course not in the right and is even rather hypocritical but it makes her feel more cute and human. She really cares about bonds more than she lets on.

Wrt Phi, yeah Phi comes across as more nuanced, but I think that's more that ZE is a lot more subtle in general.

e:

alcharagia posted:

I have never liked Kyoko Kirigiri and I'm glad she's going to die

I don't want any more of my DR1 friends to die. :)

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 19, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FPzero posted:

e: ^^^ it's me, I like Kazuichi. He's a bro as long as he isn't trying to woo Sonia and failing.

I kinda want Yasuhiro to survive the whole way just because he's always been the least likely to survive everything yet always manages to do so. Maybe since he died in the original DR1 demo he got full immunity from death in this series.

Kazuichi is like the reverse Hagakure; he gets less likable as the game goes on. Hell by the end of the game the title of Official Bro™ goes to Fuyuhiko.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 21, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The buildup in Danganronpa is always better than the conclusion imo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Belgian Waffle posted:

That investigation was probably the only one where I was actually happy about finding out who the murderer was because I wanted that guy's rear end off the island so badly.

It helps that that case was The Nagito Show, only with Teruteru getting owned instead.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

alcharagia posted:

I hope Kirigiri is dead

this but ironically

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm very sad Sonia doesn't get to live with her boyfriend, Gundham Tanaka. :smith:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lotus circle posted:

I really enjoyed Sonia honestly. She starts off as a rather goofy girl with constant jokes about how she doesn't get the Japanese language or the culture, but by the time we get to chapter 4 she's far more assertive and assured in herself and her actions. It's especially great how she just gets outright tired of Souda's poo poo, whereas before she was either ignoring him or being more politely passive aggressive.

I'm glad Sonia and Fuyuhiko survived because they were the students, Chiaki aside, that Hajime bonded with the most. They have good character development and contribute the most to the trials after the main three.

Akane being removed from the game altogether would change literally nothing.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

comment on reddit

quote:

It all makes sense now.

Munakata's forbidden action is opening doors so he can't open the closet and see Juuzo is in it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CrashScreen posted:

I was actually expecting this when it went for a break, and was really disappointed with what we got. I still felt really uncomfortable with it, but it was way too edgy and dumb. Having her writhe and talk to Izuru was stupid as well, and she should have stayed dead. It was a really poor attempt to squeeze out more of an audience reaction, and it's when I found I cared the least about everything.

I'd say I'm done with this show after that episode, but I'll no doubt continue to watch it anyway. I've come this far.

I feel around the same way. It tries way too hard to elicit an emotional response and one could argue it reduces Chiaki to a cheap plot device. Plus a little girl going out like Rasputin is an inherently ridiculous concept.

Honestly I think the best and most-despair inducing execution is still Leon's. It's emotional, it's horrifying, it's visceral, and while it's over and done with pretty quickly, it lasts long enough to be extremely uncomfortable.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

He... wasn't exactly in the best state of mind either. He's humiliated by Junko and his love for Kyosuke, and by extension Juzo himself, is treated as a complete joke. He probably just wanted to escape the situation desperately, and he's clearly not pleased with his decision. Juzo's clearly not SHSL Decision Maker but I think the scene humanizes him.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

voltcatfish posted:

Some people think they actually might be going back to the beta of Danganronpa, "Distrust", where the story would alter based upon whose opinions you side with. Theory goes is you might be able to individually follow the stories of the three characters on the cover, but I have no idea how it would really work or if it's even a feasible amount of work.

Something I like about Danganronpa is that there ARE no alternate paths, because it makes every death matter. Like, I love the Zero Escape series, but it was always hard for me to give a poo poo about someone dying when I can save them in another path.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Van Dine posted:

Now that's interesting. It's really hard to guess what Tengan would want! It could be got around by saying that he's somebody who was already in despair or something close to it, so he was acting for the sake of despair all along, but I'd really like to see him having some sort of complex motive. Ideally not of the Hope or Despair junkie variety.

Zero Time Dilemma spoilers Please don't talk to me about old men and complex motives ever again.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Naegi doesn't have superhuman unnatural good luck like Nagito. Hope's Peak kept recruiting shsl good luck kids, but aside from Nagito they were all just normal people.

I'd argue that Makoto still has luck on his side, just not like a guy who can confidently and nonchalantly play a game of reverse Russian roulette.

Also this episode was fantastic, probably the best so far. Despair 10 was so loving dumb, illogical and exploitive that I considered just dropping it there but this stands up there as one of the great Dangan Ronpa moments. I've always believed in you Juzo, and you definitely didn't let me down. :unsmith:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I'm not really sure how ryotas phone was supposed to factor into the mastermind's plans. Too many uncertainties, how could the mastermind guarantee he wouldn't rebel or end up being killed by known mass murderers like munakata. The only person who could be the mastermind that has predictive skills that refined is hagakure. Future made sense to me until this last episode, now they're going for the zero escape ending without all of the exhaustive build up and convincing that helps you suspend disbelief.

Yo Zero Time Dilemma had probably the least convincing reveal I've ever seen.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MiddleOne posted:

It's no use, you were born a shitter.

I was gonna write a big long comparison post but I think the parallels are pretty obvious. Imagine Tengan and Kirigiri being Naegi and Asahina's children.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 20, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah. ZTD spoiler Basically you have three routes to go through. This dude named Delta is slightly offscreen and the de-facto leader of one team. To its credit there is a lot of foreshadowing but it's the kind that only makes sense when you know the twist. Anyway Virtue's Last Reward set up Sigma and Phi as integral to saving the world but in reality Phi has to die and Sigma has to gently caress Diana to make Phi and Delta (the villain). It invalidates an entire game and basically Delta comes up and says he his motives are... complex, even though it's just A)He needs to do this for him and Phi to be born and B)He has to stop some random terrorist from destroying the whole world lol. By the way he's supposed to be this religious cult-like figure who's fighting to avenge his brother's murder, but in reality his brother means jack poo poo and some random kid in the hospital means more.

Anyway all I can say is that Zero Time Dilemma left me with a huge case of blue balls, and as such I have a very low bar for Danganronpa 3 to clear. Life is simply unfair etc, etc.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also the big bad is the funniest character in the game and not in a good way lol.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ZTD isn't bad but it does have a lot of problems, and they're all pretty much concentrated toward the end. It's frustrating because the middle of the game is probably the high point of the series imo. It's just so rushed at the end. Finally everyone's together again and we really don't get much of anything in terms of character interaction between the different. Hell, there's no final puzzle room, Delta just walks in, spouts a bunch of memes, forces you into a moral dilemma that doesn't really matter and then bam, end of the game. The epilogue is also condensed into Files and D Team doesn't even get that lol.

As a lot of people have been saying, DR3 may run into the same problem with only 3 episodes left to solve a bunch of mysteries. We'll just have to see. My feelings on it are more positive on it right now cause the last episode was really good.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah brainwashing is unsatisfying to say the least, but both games had generalized amnesia for what it's worth. I'm just waiting to hear out Tengan's complex motives or whatever.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Clarste posted:

ZDT is fine as long as you don't go into it with expectations of how it should end based on the previous games.

Last time I'm gonna talk about ZTD in this thread, unless we get Tengan with complex motives but this is very hard to do when the entire point of Virtue's Last Reward was to lead into Zero Time Dilemma.

Anyway I didn't see the episode yet but because I'm an impatient rear end in a top hat who is swamped with work and school, I read the transcript. Now again I have yet to watch it but one thing I really liked about DR3 is Izuru turning out to just be some apathetic dude. In fact his only kill was in self defense when some dude tried to kill him with a loving chainsaw, and even that could be argued to be manslaughter. The fact that he's actively working as the anti Junko is interesting, and I'd say gives a lot more hope to Hajime's future as well. :unsmith:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

COBRARocky posted:

Future ending up being surprisingly good and Despair derailing was the big twist of DR3.

I liked Despair best when it focused on the imposter. It's surprising that a guy who doesn't have an identity ends up being so compelling but there you go.

Future was really good throughout imo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm hoping literally every person on the Internet is wrong/lying about this episode cause I was really looking forward to it. :(

e: I had my hopes up

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I actually liked the episode. :shobon: The problem is, as everyone is saying, it seems like there's just way to much to cover in what I assume will be a normal length episode. If they're able to pull it off then more power to them, I just can't wait to see Hajime.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I miss our boy Juzo so goddamn much

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It's literally Zero Time Dilemma. This last episode made it even moreso.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm really sad that Bandai and Gozu got like less than two minutes of screentime each because they were cool and interesting. :(

Kizakura was my favorite but at least he got to act cool and die in a heroic way less than a minute after he told his forbidden action.

:smith:

(I wish this had School/Island/Post-Apocalyptic Building mode)

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 27, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm really hoping noted cool character Kyoko is actually alive next episode because otherwise it feels lovely from a narrative perspective.

Like, I felt they could have killed her off at some point near the end of DR1 to signify that now Makoto isn't cruising through easy mode or whatever, but they went the less expected route and developed her into a pretty complex character with a good relationship with Makoto.

In DR3 they could have had Kyoko die early to show that, woah Makoto's in a new game and it's even deadlier and now he can't rely on Kyoko to get through it. But no Kyoko solves almost every last mystery then bites the dust and the remaining problems Makoto can just get through with words. I mean, barring he doesn't just sic a gun on Ryota. I feel it just doesn't have any narrative impact beyond "gently caress you Makoto can still hope".

Again, this all could change in Hope but until then these are my thoughts.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Baal posted:

I think I won't care about the game because it looks loving awful and Kodaka hasn't written a thing I've liked since the first game

I don't know why you were watching this animu if you hated DR2.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

IceBorg posted:

I think DR3 is very good and I'm happy with most of it so far besides some things with the Despair arc that I had a problem with but that's me I guess. :)

:agreed: But what were the things you had a problem with? Just curious.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BlazeEmblem posted:

For those who think that Mahiru and Fuyuhiko got over the twilight syndrome case too fast, remember that there was a time skip of several months between episodes 4 and 5 of Despair. They had the chance to grieve and work through the problems that caused it, we just skipped over it.

So Tengan was the mastermind of the final killing game, with Chisa manipulating both him and Munakata behind the scenes. Since everything is automated, and there wasn't an extra person helping him with all of this, that points to only one conclusion:

The extra survivor was Hiro all along.

So if you die in despair, you end up in a movie theater? The DR universe has a strange afterlife.

Was Tengan manipulating Chisa? That's not the impression I got, though I could be wrong. If anything I thought he was manipulating Chisa to bring his complex motives into motion.

e:

COBRARocky posted:

Im glad we finally got to experience the MGS4 of anime.

MGS4 was pretty much an anime anyway.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 28, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BlazeEmblem posted:

It wasn't the best written sentence. Chisa was manipulating Tengan, and Chisa was also Manipulating Munakata.

Actually you're fine, I hosed up. What I meant to say was, was Chisa really manipulating Tengan, because if anything I saw it the other way around.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Did I miss an episode or??

He chilled out at the end of episode 10.

How can people find anything to like about Ruruka :psyduck:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Munakata's the funniest character in the show, he's pretty much the comic relief.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Neeksy posted:

I just figured Munakata was essentially just a tragic figure in that his talent and environment led to hubris of a catastrophic scale. Having a world-class institution tell you how awesome you are over a period of years is not the best way for someone to develop a good sense of perspective.

I mean I guess, but it's pretty much stated that the reason he his how he is is because of Chisa manipulating him.

Oh and also lol that his talent is being a student council leader and yet he's just as good at swordfighting as Peko.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like the general reaction was "it's a pretty bad series so gently caress it, res everyone, why not". It's a pretty poo poo deal that just Chiaki dies and literally everybody else lives though, I'd trade about half of the idiots in SDR's cast for that ending.

"Life is simply unfair." -Kazuo Tengan

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MattTheDoctor posted:

I actually love the DR2 cast so I'm down with some maximum cheese. It wasn't a great series outside of some solid moments so gently caress it, give me a dumb happy ending. I got to see how they all fought which is something I was really interested in, the Imposter being Munakata had me laughing really hard, my boy Hinata saved the day, Nagito's robot arm was fantastic, and it was really just pure fanservice and now the DR2 kids can live life happily. Well, as enemies of the state, but ah well. I bought it, I'm happy, now we can move on to V3.

I'm not mad Kyoko isn't dead because it means Kizakura's sacrifice, one of the really good moments of the show, wasn't in vain.

Also, find it funny that Hagakure was right...but about the wrong group of characters.

:agreed: I'm such a huge loving cheeseball that I didn't care how dumb everything was, it was just great to see that Hajime and the rest of the class (barring a certain someone) get to live a good life together. Really that the imposter is able to start living his own life with his best pal. And Mitarai finally being happy for the first time in his life is just great :unsmith:.

It sucks that Sayaka, Leon, Chihiro, et al are all deader than dead but even I would find it too much if they all sailed in on a ship to greet Makoto at the end. Kyoko was obviously going to live so there's no surprise there.

tl;dr I'm a big dumb sap who derives please from Chinese cartoon characters being happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sea Sponge Run posted:

It's bullshit Juzo didn't survive this poo poo.

I was cheering Munakata on to live, not because I like him, but because it was Juzo's last wish.

• Locked thread