Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought their answer to whether people should have kids was, dare I say it, pretty bourgeois. They seemed to confuse the inevitably of people having kids in all sorts of circumstances (the vast majority of which, historically, involved absolutely no say in the matter on the woman's part) with the issue of whether, as an individual, one might have very reasonable qualms about bringing a person into being during a particular set of circumstances.

Also talking about "historical perspective"--the whole point of global warming is that there is no perspective, and no context. It appears to be unlike anything in human history, which at the end of the day shouldn't be that unlikely or surprising given how short human history really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean the body double theory, if we're honestly entertaining that as a possibility, has some pretty tortured logic--he has a kill switch (which presumably goes off via a confederate if he's killed so that person has to also be informed Epstein isn't actually dead) so they extract him and then keep him in a black site forever? Why wouldn't he still set off the kill switch at that point? They give him plastic surgery and he gets to live in Paraguay?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't understand how someone listens to Chapo and likes Warren. Like--are you not paying attention to the show or...?

Also, Warren's clearly not ready to think seriously about climate change (how could she be?) which is going to kill almost everyone soon so how can there even be a choice at this late moment in human history?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Gonzo McFee posted:

I dunno, I found myself agreeing with a lot of their analysis and disagreeing with a lot of other parts. Amber deciding that the working towns of Britain that voted for Brexit were worried about leaving the EU and all the jobs that would cost before switching to saying that Labour needed to have supported Brexit was confusing to the point where I'm not sure I even heard it right, her refusal to take the venom of the British media seriously (Even the lightest of light entertainers in Britain were screeching cynically about antisemitism while taking selfies with Boris Johnson, a man who fought to keep Taki Theodoracopulos the Neo Nazi and friend of David Duke on his writing staff at The Spectator) and none of them even mentioning The Brexit Party standing down in Tory held seats was pretty weak. Especially the Brexit party standing down. It's the moment we went from a hung parliament with several top tories losing their seat to the Tories winning a majority.

On the other hand I absolutely agree that the Labour party's messaging was scattershot, the policies were taken as too good to be true even though they were absolutely doable, Jeremy was just too nice and that the messaging going forward needs to be "By the many, not the few" to remind people they're the ones doing it.

The American left just aren't ready for the liberal revolt when Bernie becomes the nominee though. The Liberals aren't going to go where you lead them. They're going to shout and scream and stamp their feet in the most embarrassing ways and sabotage everything. They'll say Bernie's antisemitism is just as bad as Trump's literal concentration camps. They'll warn of Stalinist purges that never come but they'll still pretend they did. People called Barseroy Humblebum who's name has never been mentioned before or after will get headline coverage because he quit after some unverifiable bullshit happened. They will choke the airwaves with unimaginably tedious dross that will be discussed at length regardless of merit. Bernie will release the piss tape and the first question asked will be about antisemitism by an MSNBC hack. It won't matter that it's all clearly bullshit. It'll be like swimming in warm mayonnaise somebody shat in.

They all have this problem but I feel Amber especially when confronted with something they don't have an answer for just dismisses it out of hand as not an issue.

This is all probably true, but at the same the Democrats have been kind of running on getting rid of Trump for the past three years. I think it’s going to be really hard to turn the base’s head around on that if it’s Bernie or bust. They have to stop him before it gets to that point. Or just obstruct his presidency to death.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Forceholy posted:

drat, Amber is really trying to be the Leftist version of Mike Rowe isn't she.

Mike Rowe is a catspaw for various reactionary interests. Are you saying Amber Frost is a paid shill for... Big Leftism?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bryter posted:

I would guess that the intended meaning there is that Klobuchar will have a hard time getting talented people to stick around if she treats them like poo poo

That seems right, but you'd think the takeaway from someone being an abusive boss would be "maybe we shouldn't give this person even more power" and not "how will this affect their ability to govern?"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The real worst case scenario is: Biden winning a lot. And then beating Trump. Those are the events most likely to produce True Fascism and Climate Apocalypse, at least as far as this election goes. Bernie getting the nom and then getting beaten by Trump would also be pretty bad.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 1, 2020

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
You’d think, out of all the billions and billions of people on this planet, the one, the one particular person out of all of them who lost an election to Donald Fuckin Trump, would not get a major platform to voice their opinion on politics. You’d think, you’d hope.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

My greatest legacy.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I hold that the first 25% or so of Steven Universe is a cute, funny children's cartoon with a nice color palette and some interesting concepts. And it just gets slowly worse and worse.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BBJoey posted:

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1256250092689846272

this poo poo rocks. if you accept everthing she says on face value, she's declaring victory over chapo because she reduced their combined annual income to approximately $2 million

Even if you accept every premise at face value, the victory is: slightly reducing the income of a fash-adjacent comedy podcast. Imagine being this cucked.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think the ways in which fantasy schlock is super racist and reflective of broader reactionary trends in nerd/videogame culture is very interesting but I don't think the Chapo boys have the expertise or interest to really get into it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like our future is something like Indonesia where we massacre a bunch of political undesirables and some immigrants and then mostly never talk about it or think it was pretty cool.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean, it's reasonable to think voting for Biden is a good idea, but it's pretty telling that she doesn't mention at all what she thought of the 2020 primary. The only rational (optimistic) view of the Biden presidency is that it will slightly delay the destruction of humanity vs a Trump presidency, but that Americans really, really deserve a better candidate.

Biden v Trump has to be understood as part of the larger ecosystem that will spiral this country and maybe the world into dust. Instead it will Democrats vs. Satan forever; you don't want Satan to win do you?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I didn't think the COVID sympathy take was that out there (I really don't think it's true but I've had friends articulate a similar line), but what was that she said about COVID not spreading through the air?!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jippa posted:

I listened to the episode where matt and virgil discussed trump taking the election to the supreme court. Can someone just very briefly say what conditions (if any) need to be met for him to declare it "contested".

I think the general idea is something similar to 2000--a very close race requiring recounting and where discounting ballots for not meeting various criteria could affect the outcome.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

24K a month is chump change to the Chapos.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I liked that clip that made the rounds the other day that was some Fox bobblehead pointing out that Kamala had flipped and flopped all over the place on Medicare For All, and Pete's big rhetorical coup was...pointing out that Trump is also a hypocrite. Wow, inspiring stuff.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkfjDAF-Ks

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

sexpig by night posted:

yea Biden's gonna win by losing seats in the house and not flipping the senate, one of the most pathetic, pre-cucked, victories I think a president has had in the modern era.

I'd be really curious to see how often a new prez gets congress post WWII. Is it almost always?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

This would be legit good if instead of Connery it was Epstein at the end.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

NienNunb posted:

Was Colbert Report ever good or was I just a dumb lib teen? Because that video is dire.

He made fun of Bush/Fox during the 00s pretty good. Don't know what it was like during the Obama era.

I feel like Trump broke him.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think the issue with Avatar isn't that it makes of fun US Marines, it's that the solution it offers is stupid hippie one-with-nature lib BS.

It's got one up on Dances With Wolves in that it doesn't caricature an actual culture to do that, at least.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Do squirrels carry rabies.

Edit: Or The Plague.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Pooping.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I like Taika but I thought Thor: Ragnarok was trash. Not even funny.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

miniscule12 posted:

The answer to "what would happen if one of the rioters got to a politician" is nothing. No one should be punished for murdering a politician.

I'm not sure how you can be a real leftist and want the state to punish people for wanting to murder their representatives.

They would have killed Ilhan...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I'd honestly be curious about how well that business was doing--the NYTimes article said she'd gone to court over a usurious loan it took out.

It is pretty interesting it got a substantial chunk of PPP change. I wonder how much that cuts against Matt's point that these are people who have been left out to dry.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Groovelord Neato posted:

Most of the people able to travel to DC in the middle of the week are going to be the dinar crowd.

I mean Matt talked about on Friday's episode that the mob was composed of both small business tyrants (who aren't doing as well by and large) and working class. The idea being that even relatively well to do types are starting to feel the squeeze. I feel like if people like the woman who got gatted are receiving substantial financial assistance and their businesses are doing okay (or as well as they ever have at least) there's additional analysis needed--maybe the Internet just breaks people's brains in more stochastic ways. Or maybe the broader sense that things are falling apart (including the lockdowns) is enough, even if they're doing okay in all the relative senses.

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

People at my decent paying union job who are doing absolutely fine and are actually doing better than they were years ago went to DC. They were just Republicans who got brain poisoned by alt-right media bubbles and echo chambers over the last few years, and I'm convinced deteriorating material conditions for these individuals had nothing to do with it. Seeing multiple people I've known for 20 years giving themselves mental illness to the point of real life actions is why I can never agree with Matt about the effect of online spaces.

Yeah I feel like there may be a tendency on the Left to go too quickly to material explanations--I feel the temptation to do that too, but man I don't know.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bust Rodd posted:

Most people don’t use subs, it’s an extremely vocal minority

Dubs are classless.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
To be fair, gaming while doing the one hour a week podcast that makes you ~$100k a year is incredibly degenerate. It owns, don't get me wrong. But.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

OctoberCountry posted:

Felix is really embarrassed that he liked Joker

"It's really very average," he repeated over and over as his member hardened to the consistency of concrete.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's already been noted, but (and I say this as a player of games), lol that the thing that reduces the thread to an angry ball of hornets is criticizing video games.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Shape of Water is soy because it presents the insanely evil government lab as mostly anodyne until the Evil Trump Voter Who Has Violent Sex With His Wife shows up. It's really weird.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

PostNouveau posted:

Whenever people talk about physics as a way to understand the nature of the universe, like they do here talking about the Uncertainty Principle, I always think it's just talking out of your rear end. Like we've got a very dumbed down version of its conclusions from the physicists who figured it out, but the actual physics of it is like:

times 20 the Wikipedia page is just tons and tons of that. How can regular people draw these big conclusions about the nature of the universe from the baby version of something you'd have to study years of physics to actually understand?

You can't and shouldn't. The only conclusion a lay person should draw from quantum physics is that the laws that govern the physical world are very strange and that our own experience of reality is created by a set of hacked together ad hoc systems.

shrike82 posted:

disaffected progressives trying to come up with an alternate mysticism or spiritualism never seem to get the big thing about religion is the communal aspect.

I do think Matt Christman talks about this a lot, to be fair.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

miniscule12 posted:

Glenn is right about vaccines. i've been having a lot of fun telling libs I have no interest in getting the vaccine and seeing them freak out, lol.

I'm a Communist and you should get the vaccine, dumb idiot.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Ideal finale for Chapo:

Felix marries Amber
Will marries Virgil
Matt marries Producer Chris

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Matt moving to California has intense Don Draper at Esalen vibes.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Game of Thrones was never good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mr Hootington posted:

It isnt a bit. The boys are stuck in the cultural moments of 1999 to 2012.

You couldn’t have picked a more heterogenous time frame lol