Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

lmao why do people keep thinking right wing pundits are secretly whispering Epstein tier poo poo with each other all the time? everything we’ve seen with dominion and Alex Jones seems to indicate that their communications boil down to talking about how loving dumb their audience are, and getting ghosted.

Because they are all weird perverts, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DFW was a generational talent and you’re doing yourself a disservice if you haven’t read A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again and Ticket To The Fair

quote:

But when the sevens and eights hit the floor for a series of "Armed Service medleys" (spandex with epaulets and officers' caps and batons over shoulders like M16's), errant batons start pin- wheeling into the ceiling, tent's sides, and crowd, all with real force. I myself duck several times. A man just down the row takes one in the solar plexus and falls out of his metal chair with a horrid crash. The batons are embossed "Regulation Length" all, the shaft and have white rubber stoppers all, each end, but it is that hard dry kind of rubber, and the batons themselves aren't light. I don't think it's an accident that police night-sticks are also called service batons.

Physically, even within same-age teams, there are marked incongruities in size and development. One nine-year-old is several heads taller than another, and they're trying to do a complex back-and-forth duet thing with just one baton, which ends up taking out a bulb in one of the tent's steel hanging lamps, showering part of the stands with glass. A lot of the younger twirlers look either anorexic or gravely ill. There are no fat baton twirlers.

A team of ten-year-olds in the Gingersnap class have little cotton bunny tails on their costume bottoms and rigid papier-rnache ears, and they can do some serious twirling. A squad of eleven-year-olds from Towanda does an involved routine in tribute to Operation Desert Storm. To most of the acts there's either a cutesy ultrafeminine aspect or a stem butch military one, with little in between. Starting with the twelve-year-olds-one team in black spandex that looks like cheesecake leotards-there is, I'm afraid, a frank, sexuality that begins to get uncomfortable. Oddly, it's the cutesy feminine performances that result in the serious audience casualties. A dad standing up near the top of the stands with a Toshiba video camera to his eye takes a tomahawking baton directly in the groin and falls over on somebody eating a funnel cake, and they take out good bits of several rows below them, and there's an extended halt to the action, during which I decamp. As I clear the last row of chairs yet another baton comes wharp-wharping cruelly right over my shoulder, caroming viciously off big Ronald's inflated thigh.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

💯 u ppl need to read more

selec
Sep 6, 2003

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I don't really know anything about that movie besides what was said on the episode, but it sounded to me like a vehicle to get some depressed leftist forum person to get thrown in federal prison for 25 years.

This is how I felt about Oceans 11

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bust Rodd!!!!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

If a nepo baby lesbian can end up in a relationship with another nepo baby heiress to a fortune and then make bank promoting a cultural movement that ultimately seeks to smother them and their identity I’d say the debate is moot, Bari.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

adebisi lives posted:

He's got to be one of the least self aware people to ever walk the earth

He’d have no career if he was self-aware because the fundamental unexamined conflicts are the carrot in front of his donkey brain. He’ll never get the carrot, and in fact hopefully never does if he wants to continue a career as a writer. This inability to see plainly in himself what is so obvious to others is the animating energy of his entire intellectual output.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

a giant has fallen

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1686815457758560262?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

selec
Sep 6, 2003

A couple generations from now kids are going to invoke Christmanism to describe an esoteric flavor of communism the way kids invoke Posadism today

selec
Sep 6, 2003

bawfuls posted:

the cushvlogs transcribed onto stone tablets become the holy text of a new religion in the wasteland

Amen, let us bray

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

Code switching to “correctly” pronounce words like “burrito” makes anyone who isn’t a native speaker seem like a dickhead. I’m speaking English here, you can’t make me roll an R.

Is it a tor-tilla or a tor-teeya? Because you are already code switching it’s just you can’t roll your Rs and bear this shame poorly

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jesus Christ weirdos it’s a promotional interview for a show + the death of the author exists, get off it already and find a hobby that is less annoying to normal people, just make up the interview you wish you heard and write out a script and record it onto a tape in your bedroom, something you knew how to do as a child but have somehow grown too lazy to do now

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mr. Grinch posted:

criticizing bad opinions is good actually, hth

If you want to work on your Matt, you gotta talk more nasally but angry, to do a good Felix it’s nasally, lower register, and hold your breath until you nearly pass out before you start speaking

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

I was glad to hear Matt defend the honor of salmon.

Got a side in the fridge right now, just debating whether it’s gonna get hot or cold smoked

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Chris I know you read the thread, pls tell Matt I've been waging a online guerilla war against his detractors.

It won’t change their minds, and it will just cause you to see more distressing stuff. Have you tried grilling?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I was a Street Fight listener and followed the boys on Twitter and after their episode on SF was immediately down when they announced their own podcast. Signed up for the Patreon as soon as that was going.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Orstrayan Carrespondant

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Clipperton posted:

I'm not telling anyone to do electoralism, or even to vote outside of maybe local/downticket stuff

But if you're expecting an elected official to take the position you want - to the extent that you're posting 24/7 wishing cancer on them when they don't, like Biederman's doing with Bernie - then it's kind of important to show that that position will get them votes, or at least not lose them, and that's something the online-schizophrenics-with-usernames-like-"Fartrich Engels" contingent have conspicuously failed to do

Have you tried huffing some farts instead of whatever this is you’re doing?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

I enjoy the daft paranormal nonsense. Losers and haters of the gnomes vacate.

Deciding to drive all the wonder and goofiness out of your world is a kind of self-denial that feels satisfying but ultimately unless you figure out some other kind of woo belief to fill the woo-shaped hole, you’re just walking around incomplete, a self-inflicted denial of your own nature.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s the old ethnographic method where you treat it as real to them, because to do otherwise just makes you one more scoffing imperialist who will never get closer to actual understanding because you insist on this rational arms-length remove.

It’s pretty confusing to freshmen in college so I can see where goons get hung up.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

banger episode. Hanukkah Hitler is an all-timer

selec
Sep 6, 2003

adebisi lives posted:

There's no way the next episode isn't about this Bill Ackman guy right?

It’s been a pretty crazy week but no way Felix doesn’t make them talk about The Tunnel

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Does Felix still do the show?

He’s gonna come charging through the wall like the kool aid man for this one

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Josh Ettingermentum is great and, God forgive me, I actually subscribed to his Substack. His voice is an asset; he sounds like one of those veteran reporters who got laid off from the Topeka Herald or wherever and now blogs about elections in exhaustive detail, instead of a 24-25 year old recent college grad.

That two pods a day voice

selec
Sep 6, 2003

lmao again with Felix popping up 8 minutes into an interview

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I love Eric Adams because he hearkens back to a simpler time when you could just nakedly bribe the worst living examples of humanity, who were all city inspectors, or the second worst examples of humanity, beer and gaming distributors, would bribe you.

There’s a book called THE MIRAGE where a bunch of Chicago journalists had the budget (!!!) to set up an entire fake bar (technically a real bar, with added surveillance features) and caught every kind of local corruption in action. It’s a fun read because it just couldn’t happen in America anymore; the cops would probably end up arresting the journalists at the behest of local developers if they tried that poo poo today, which they couldn’t because no publisher wants to spend any money whatsoever.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

sleeptalker posted:

The producer should not have a mic. Bad podcast dynamic.

Have you heard Yung Chomsky’s dulcet tones?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Eminent DNS posted:

Do you think Yung Chomsky sings

Sometimes I hope he does

selec
Sep 6, 2003

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Yeah, Varg makes lovely electronic music now because he thought guitars were 'too Jewish.' Not a chance in hell.

He and Kanye are aligned on at least the rule if not the reason. Kanye’s rules posted during the making of MBDTF

NO TWEETING
NO HIPSTER HATS
ALL LAPTOPS ON MUTE
JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP SOMETIMES
NO TWEETING PLEASE THANK YOU
NO BLOGGING
NO NEGATIVE BLOG VIEWING
DON’T TELL ANYONE ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING WE’RE DOING!
NO RACKING FOCUS WHILE MUSIC IS BEING PLAYED OR MUSIC IS BEING MADE
TOTAL FOCUS ON THIS PROJECT IN ALL STUDIOS
NO ACOUSTIC GUITAR IN THE STUDIO
NO PICTURES

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Ambient music was invented in 1978 when Brian Eno decided that he was tired of entertaining people with his own records.

Reading Eno’s diary allowed me to finally come to peace with being a creature of the studio who fears and loathes being perceived in the act of creation, and got me to add Oyster Sauce to my cooking repertoire. Owe that man a lot.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Varg o’Fuckyourself

selec
Sep 6, 2003

i say swears online posted:

we've made fun of Amber's blurb a million times but what would the blurb to Felix's great american novel say

A reckless, rambunctious and pugilistic tour de force of ennui and video game lore, woven into a tapestry you wouldn’t let a labradoodle sleep on

selec
Sep 6, 2003

This is a heady brew of mustelid funk, family fires, and a boy’s search for his hirsute father

selec
Sep 6, 2003

“The Original Hyde Park Homeboy” is a reckless blend of autofiction, game strategy guide, and onanistic logbook

selec
Sep 6, 2003

i say swears online posted:

holy poo poo this is coherent as hell

My boy smokes too tough, his swag is too different, his bitch too bad. They’ll never kill him.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

People who vapes in the same way people smoke cigarettes, outside, are fine. It's the weirdos who assume restrictions against cigarettes don't apply to them because their cigarette is plastic instead of paper.

This is my default behavior, but everybody I know vapes indoors now, whether it’s weed or nicotine, because the vape isn’t the same as smoke, and it just isn’t comparable in terms of what it leaves behind.

I have been to a few parties in the neighborhood where nobody who owns the home vapes, but it is apparently socially acceptable to vape on the dance floor (the dining room) locally anyway

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Congrats to the goon who made the joke about Stonetoss looking like Big Red last week, Felix joke stealer confirmed

selec
Sep 6, 2003

lol Felix playing through Ace Combat, the most nerfy flight sims ever made. They’re like visual novels with a flying mini game attached.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Okay but have you listened to the soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80XAJKqRU9k

I’ve played the entire series, I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Stringent posted:

umm, no, it's DCS, IL-2, or Falcon BMS.

You’re going to get banned again if you go this hard right out of the gate! Cmon man this is your party, have a drink, some food, dance with the ladies.