Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
'Press start' doesn't mean 'press the start button' anymore, it means 'press a button to start'. Topic locked.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

this should answer any questions you have

http://www.giantbomb.com/games-that-ask-you-to-press-start-but-will-accept-/3015-4403/

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the lists on giantbomb are insane http://www.giantbomb.com/office-chair/3055-1343/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Which button is the any button? Lol

Edit: ok you can cut it out with the PMs . It was a joke

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 14, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ai like

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

loving this. Come on devs...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

googling "bun-configuration" to find something wrong with this description

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

https://youtu.be/OzfNrkJ-3mE

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

jesus what the hell

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

jesus what the hell

data miners found this hidden tape. more might lead to chapter 3. pretty crazy stuff. thanks, neverbega,eover.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

'Press start' doesn't mean 'press the start button' anymore, it means 'press a button to start'. Topic locked.

where's the ****ing any key

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
by the way , some games acutally say "press the start button". dirt rally for example, on the ps4, says press the "option" button. but you can press any button. so im not accepting that answer

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They probably want to avoid normies pressing the home button or power button or maybe even a button on an entirely different device. The could be sued. My uncle is a lawyer at Nintendo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Start > Option

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

by the way , some games acutally say "press the start button". dirt rally for example, on the ps4, says press the "option" button. but you can press any button. so im not accepting that answer

i hate it when they say press option key it triggers me

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i like it when its a japanese port on steam or whatever and since japanese ppl are retarded they leave the pres start message and you have to guess whether they mean z, x, space, or some other key for start and u have to press every key on the kb until u find it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Start > Option

This.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

i like it when its a japanese port on steam or whatever and since japanese ppl are retarded they leave the pres start message and you have to guess whether they mean z, x, space, or some other key for start and u have to press every key on the kb until u find it.

Flip the keyboard and press down

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Are there any games that allow you to start playing by pressing a direction on the analog stick or D-pad? Being able to use any button to start is convenient and makes sense but I don't think I'd be comfortable if a game started when I pressed up on the analog stick.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Treebeh posted:

Are there any games that allow you to start playing by pressing a direction on the analog stick or D-pad? Being able to use any button to start is convenient and makes sense but I don't think I'd be comfortable if a game started when I pressed up on the analog stick.

depending on your mappings, divekick

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

where's the ****ing any key

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

mysterious loyall X posted:

japanese pc games are epic

my favorite is the ones where pressing 'escape' instantly quits to desktop.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

japanese pc games are epic

my favorite is the ones where pressing 'escape' instantly quits to desktop.

I assume it's for emergency purposes.

Remember back in the DOS days when games had "boss mode" where you could press a key and it would switch to an innocuous looking C:\ prompt?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

depending on your mappings, divekick

My friends and I would do a version of divekick where if you lost your opponent took your controller and got to rebind your keys without you looking

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Remember back in the DOS days when games had "boss mode" where you could press a key and it would switch to an innocuous looking C:\ prompt?

Yes

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I miss games using ALT+X to quit :(

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Buttons contextually changing in game mode. All the buttons is start

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
how come when i press the start button, mario stops? someone needs to learn a thing or two about UX design

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I reflexively tried to use the share button as a select key and games that use the track pad as menus still mess me up. Like witcher 3

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like when games won't let you scroll through options with the d-pad. You MUST use the select button.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

And then there's Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego for the NES. I remember mashing all the buttons over and over until I finally left the start screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

frank.club posted:

I reflexively tried to use the share button as a select key and games that use the track pad as menus still mess me up. Like witcher 3

Wit her 3 used the track pad for shortcuts better than any other ps4 game so far

• Locked thread