Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
The rapid fire nature of news today has piqued my interest of news in the past. Not just the big historical stuff, but the big stuff that vanished after a week. News of major events from the point of view of a paper on the other side of the country. Hometown news is a big draw as well. It can be good news, bad news, bad news covered well, and Florida man does insane thing. My own semi arbitrary cut off date is 1992 but that's more a guideline then a rule.

My main source is https://www.newspapers.com/ which is a huge searchable newspaper database covering 4,200 papers since from the 1700s-2000s. The only real draw back is it's very expensive chalking in at 75$ for 6 months. It does however have a free trial week with all the features.

First thing I looked up was my home town coverage (Reno) of the Tulsa Race Riots. This coverage is surprisingly straightforward, discarding the idea that the Rowland crime was the reason behind the riot and skipping straight to a large group of white men who had planned it, and the presence of armed black resistance indicated that they new that it was coming and they needed to defend themselves.

Reno Gazette-Journal Wed, Jun 1, 1921 page 4

This is just a short little blurb about the joys of cutting taxes to increase revenues.

The Indianapolis Star, 31 Aug 1925, Mon, page 1

Gun control is always a hot topic. I don't think this article could happen in one of today's major papers. The police want strict gun control so they can avoid militarization, judges wanted direction from Congress, and ends with the idea that black people should not give up guns until the police will protect them.

The Montana Standard
Fri, Dec 31, 1960 Page 468

Moral panics don't seem to have the same weight as they used to. Maybe were moving on to the next one so fast we don't have a chance to get emotionally attached. Here they tackle comic books by maturely presenting both sides of the debate. On one side you have police chief who wants to ban them, on the other you have a comic writer who wants to ban them. After that it just kind of dissolves into the 1940s version of a comment section.

Delaware County Daily Times
Sat, Jul 31, 1948 - Page 1,9

These next two are from my home town again. An advertisement for an Oyster proudly proclaiming that they do not employ Chinese cooks. The next one is a movie listing for a film in Moscow that leaves me clueless.

Reno Gazette-Journal
Tue Mar 28, 1876 -Page 5

Reno Gazette-Journal
Thu, Mar 3, 1949 - Page 2

If you told me that this one came out of the 1949 edition of the Onion I would take it at face value.

Reno Gazette-Journal
Thu, Mar3, 1949 -- Page 1

Sex Ed. Just a list of how much crime we could prevent if we had sex ed. I'm mostly curious about the category "Other Sex Offenses" and why the boys don't have one.
The Brownsville Herald
Sun, Feb 6, 1944 -- Page 8

And I'm gonna finish off with another onion candidate. Police inadvertently assist with a illegal-legal abduction.

Arizona Republic
Thu, May 6, 1937 -- Page 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Let's take a look at the Times DIgital Archive, which offers full access (and full-text search!) to the entire run of the London Times from 1785 to 1985. There's an upgrade to the archive which extends it to 2010, but my university doesn't have that, sadly.

(July 15th, 1789 - Wednesday)

Oh dear, tumults in the streets of Paris? :ohdear: Jacques Necker was the Swiss-born Finance Minister under King Louis XVI and had the reputation of being somewhat of a reformer, which made him massively popular with the general population.

(July 16th, 1789 - Thursday)

The following day the news reaching London get somewhat clearer. Necker wasn't arrested, but rather unceremoniously thrown out of the Kingdom. Apparently the tumults have grown into almost a full-blown rebellion by now without the Times really saying it, but one thing they make clear: the King has nothing to be afraid of, as the military remains firmly loyal to him, as do the nobles and the clergy.

There was nothing new to report on Friday, merely a recap of what was happening,

The Times had no weekend edition, so for two days its readers wouldn't have access to the latest news about the Parisian tumults. Let's fast-forward a bit, shall we?

(July 20th, 1789 - Monday)

Oh. Oh dear :ohdear:

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
It's good to see that bragging about an exclusive story has a long tradition.

Here it is from the other side of the pond. Bandits from Italy and the Swiss battling the Marechaussees.

The Pennsylvania Packet
Mon, Oct 26, 1789 --page 2

• Locked thread