Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Cluster_M/status/913041366275575809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Are there any like the former but without the six button layout and turbo stuff? I don't want that stuff

Yeah, 8bitdo's older controller, same deal with regards to needing a separate dongle though http://a.co/4UohK6q

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

So we just had a trauma patient come in on northern NJ. Went to TRU and waited with 40 other people to get one, TRU only had 5 that weren't preorders. They promptly sold all 5 to the first guy in line, he was promptly hit by a car in the parking lot and several others were trampled.

Strong work, Nintendo. Even stronger work by TRU.

:shepface:

But what happened to the snessesses??

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rewind is a very good feature and extremely thoughtful for folks who can clear a boss after multiple attempts but don't have the time to go through entire levels again

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

It's Nintendo's fuckup if scalpers can get away with tremendous profit on these products. Everybody is always going to capitalize on a broken system (ex. hackers gonna hack, cheaters gonna cheat, scalpers gonna scalp) Nintendo should take notes

It's actually on the retailers but I think we can all agree scalpers can get hosed

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It really isn't a very good CRT filter but I still like it and use it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

How the gently caress has Krusty's Super Fun House passed two audits of that list. That is a travesty of a game what is wrong with you people.

Yo, FOR REAL

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I've never played a lot of those games :shrug: so I don't know any better.

So, as far as I know, the first actually good Simpsons game was the Konami beat 'em up, which you have to emulate now unless you got it on XBL/PSN during the time it was available. The next one - again, based on memory - is Simpsons Road Rage.

In all seriousness, unless the Simpsons game in question is one of those two, avoid it like the plague

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

Thought the "Simpsons Game" on the 360 and PS3 was pretty fun at the time. It had a level where you raid Matt's mansion and all the enemies are Bender and Doctor Zoidberg.

Ohh yeah, I think I heard of that one and have trouble remembering it because of the name and setting. I'll take your word for it because my fuddy-duddy self hates the idea of including Futurama stuff in canon Simpsons work

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I had my Dark Souls friend over last night (you know who I mean) and the first game he fired up was SGG

guess how long that poo poo lasted

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

metallicaeg posted:

Are there any foolproof guides to hacking more games onto the SNES? I saw a few pages back someone confirming that you can maintain the box art and save state system like with the included games but I didn't see any link to anything and nothing in the OP about it either.

Not foolproof, no. Still waiting for the developer of hakchi2 to post an official fix to update it for the SNES classic. Should be days away.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
N64 is so incredibly underappreciated, might look like total garbo by modern standards but a lot of stuff still feels great to play by the same.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

Okay then you need to buy a Wii U and then hack it to be able to play other Gamecube games. Then buy other said Gamecube games that can be quite expensive.

It's not quite Raspberry Pi territory for ridiculousness but it's not far

If you have all the Nintendo consoles you're not the target market for a classic gamecube but there is one.

I actually agree with you but once you hack a Wii U to play GC games, you're not playing GC disks on there

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nintendo no longer makes or sells the Wii U

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat570935

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Works pretty ok

...goodness I love this little box

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Can you set it up so that everything is in the same folder? I got it working the normal way, just wondering how much I can customize.

You can within limitations, the FAQ recommends limiting it to 30 games per page or folder but there is customizability. I tried my 26 extra just mashed into the one main screen and it worked but janky

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody know if they've figured out how to put regular NES games on this thing and if so, does the rewind feature work with them?

You need to install retroarch and then they work great. Save states yes, but no rewind.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

techknight posted:

TUSH for quickly checking whether or not your ROM has a header, and changing it (explained below)

Way back some pages, but thank you very specifically for posting this tool. Anyone who wants a good full guide to dealing with roms and patching and stuff should click back through to the full post. (Assuming quote links are working, those have been weird recently)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Link to the post?

Ha yeah, I could just post a link couldn't I? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783186&pagenumber=199&perpage=40#post477178400

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

does this thing have support for wireless controllers? can i sync a wii remote to it and plug the snes controller into that?

It needs dongles but it can work nice
https://twitter.com/turfmasta/status/916123846473928704

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't really understand how to install retroarch or how one would remap. Also don't retroarch not work with save states? Couldn't play Ninja Gaiden like that.

Retroarch totally works with the built-in save-states, it's great. (e: no Rewind, though) It's the same process as installing the hakchi kernel initially, very easy. Grab it here: https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/releases/ You download the zip, drop it on the hakchi window, and follow the instructions.

Manky fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 12, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

404notfound posted:

Anybody using a wireless controller that they're happy with? Not sure I want to wait until December for 8bitdo's solution.

I'm extremely happy with a solution 8bitdo has out now, I've got one of their nes classic receivers (firmware update makes it work with snes) and a nes30 pro and it all works fantastically.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Echoing recommendations to try Metal Warriors if it's not on your radar, game is rad

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
h/t to quiggy for reminding me about this gem

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Probably a dumb question, but the 8bitdo receivers probably only work with one controller at a time, right? So I'd need two receivers for multiplayer, correct?

No worries, you are correct

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

What is the current Hakchi? Do you still need to dump your rom before updating?

Check here: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases
If you dumped your rom before and still have the img you're fine

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
:cripes: long story short, I'm not sure I have my original backgrounds folder intact from /usr/share/, could anyone do me a favor and PM or email a copy to me?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

Do you need a backup copy of the entire Snes kernel? How did only part of it get deleted?

I still have my original kernel dump, and the first thing I tried was flashing it and grabbing from that, but even fresh and clean it seemed my fuckery to that folder had persisted. That sounds ridiculous to me so I'm going to try it again but I swear

e: ooo probably b/c when I reflash the custom kernel so I can ftp in, it's restoring my fuckery...

e2: so I thought using a fresh hakchi and flashing a fresh custom kernel would do the trick and restore /usr/share/backgrounds but it did not.

So if anyone could send me a zip of that folder, I'd really appreciate it!

e3: Thank you for help, kind goons! you da real mvp

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 16, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How well does Retroarch work on this thing, anyway?

Varies a bit, but pretty well for the most part! Genesis stuff seems solid, based on my time with Gunstar Heroes, Outrun (haven't been able to get an arcade version to work), Landstalker, and a little Sonic & Knuckles. The few TG16, GB/GBC/GBA, NES titles I've played all feel and look good as well. Got arcade Xmen working, sound is bad but it plays fine. N64 sucks, Super Mario plays well but every other title I've tried has major issues.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just wanna say thanks again to the goons who helped me out with my backgrounds problem, was able to replace my corrupted files and also make a modified space background to change hue for maximum :catdrugs:

Also, retroarch is super good software and calling it a "big pile of poo poo" because a few pixels are cut off by borders not designed for those resolutions/aspect ratios is pretty silly (balls). It's fixable, as noted

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s not just this one issue. Having fought retroarch on the 3ds for a long time, trust me, it’s poo poo. It’s workable, but it’s poo poo.

Lmao, it didn't work on a 3ds so it's poo poo? :rolleyes: ok pal. Yeah, the 3ds is so good at running things, just such a beast of a machine, so of course it's retroarch and nothing to do with a hacky rear end implementation of emulation on a weakass machine

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
God forbid a person step between a goon and their hyperbolic making GBS threads on something that works quite well within the context of the thread/conversation

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
There are a few Genesis games very worthwhile throwing on there, my personal run n gun recommendation is Gunstar Heroes. Here's a handy list for other good Genesis titles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Sega_Genesis

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Agreed, thanks ExcessBLarg! Anything you want to post going into detail on the other chips the SNES used would be well-received :allears:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Read 'n' learn!

techknight posted:

You need to get the original ROM and then patch it yourself. There's a quite a mess of utilities involved. For anyone who hasn't done this before, I present a mini guide:

How to patch translations and hacks onto ROMs for the SNES Classic

The best source for the most up-to-date English translations, weird level hacks, and utilities is ROMhacking.net

Here's the software you'll need:

Floating IPS for applying patch files to ROMs
TUSH for quickly checking whether or not your ROM has a header, and changing it (explained below)

Obtain a patch in the form of an IPS file

Have a look through the translations section on ROMhacking.net. You can limit your search by platform, so be sure to select Super Nintendo from the dropdown. (The download link on each page is not very prominent, so use ctrl+f to find it if you can't see it at first. The site may ask you to verify that you're not a bot before it lets you download your patch.)

Unzip the download, and have a look through whatever README or other text file is included in the zip. This file has very important information that you need to properly patch your ROM.

The two things that you need to know, is whether the patch needs to be applied to a "headered" ROM or an "unheadered" ROM, and, which version of a ROM the patch applies to.

Headers

In the old days, cartridge dumping tools would add a small section of information about the cart to the top of a ROM file. That information was necessary in back when people were copying ROMs onto floppy disks that plugged into a SNES add-on that enabled piracy.

That information is largely just ignored by modern emulators, so more-recent dumps of SNES ROMs don't include that information at all.

Versions

When cartridge games were found to have been released with a serious bug, companies would sometimes update the game and release all new cartridges from that point with the new version. One of the most famous examples of that on the SNES is the "sketch" bug in the initial US release of Final Fantasy 6 (FF3). In later shipments of the game, the bug is fixed.

That means a patch you download for Final Fantasy 6 might require any of six different versions of the game. These three distinct versions, plus headered or unheadered:

Final Fantasy III (USA)
Final Fantasy III (USA) (Rev 1)
Final Fantasy VI (Japan)

Original game ROM

This could come from your own cartridge if you have one of these, but otherwise a quick google search will generally get you what you need. If you do get a ROM from who-knows-where, the older that dump is, the more likely it is to have a header.

How to tell if your ROM has a header

For me, the quickest way was to load TUSH and browse for a file:

As soon as you load a ROM, it will let you know whether there's a header or not. If there's no header, and your IPS file requires one, go ahead and click Add Header and you're ready to patch. (as well as the reverse situation)

Applying the patch

Load up Floating IPS and click Apply Patch:

That will prompt you to select the IPS file, then select the ROM file, and finally the name of the new ROM file that you want to output. Make note of where you saved that, and then add it via hakchi.

Exceptions

There are some exceptions. There were other ways of storing ROM files that I haven't gone into, and the older the translation, the more likely it is that something extra has to be done. ROMhacking.net will sometimes list "Addendum" patches that roll up changes and are meant to be applied to more modern ROM dumps, like with Tales of Phantasia for example: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2335/

Others have their own separate patching tools.. Radical Dreamers - the visual novel prequel/sequel to Chrono Trigger - has an EXE file to run instead of an IPS file: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/403/

Good luck!

I hope that clears it up a bit if you've never patched a ROM before - but if you run into trouble there's lots of us in the thread who can answer questions.

Edit:
Oh yeah, also I found a lot of good high-res box art scans through here if anyone needs it: https://games.alphacoders.com

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh. Thanks a lot. That's a huge help.

Yep, good luck. I can tell you that Mystery of the Emblem should have no trouble running once patched.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah pretty sure it has an SD card slot. That uncut Super Turrican it comes with is listed as "digital" as is Super Turrican 2

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

Why is this $200 while the NT Mini is almost $500? That is such a huge price disparity. Is the hardware a lot less powerful or something? It just makes me very suspicious as to why their new FPGA offering is less than half the price.

Plastic case vs a metal case is some chunk of that, also possibly less r&d costs if they "figured out" the successor from producing the Mini. They're probably also counting on selling a lot more units, can make bigger orders at lower costs

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ah, in that case it sounds great. I’ll consider one if it can run all games with special chipsets accurately.

It's got some limitations. I'm cross-quoting from the retro thread, which knows a lot more than I do. This was about whether the Super NT might do TG-16 games as well, with an unlocked firmware.

Asbrandt posted:

The PC-Engine/TG16 may be simple but it has a CPU that is capable of randomly accessing memory in a single bus cycle (6502 based) and clocked at double the speed of the SNES's (16 bit extended version of 6502)
Pressing DRAM into service when SRAM or ROM is expected has some surprisingly low access speed limits, since it has a pretty extensive sequence of 'preparation' cycles to access at random instead of sequentially.

The same holds true for SA-1 (which is the exact same CPU the SNES already has, just clocked 3 times faster, and some extra functions) and SuperFX.
Which to clarify, work just fine if you're using a cartridge with the chips, but a "jailbreak" firmware wouldn't be able to run ROMs needing them.

As an aside, calling the NT devices "emulation" is inaccurate, I think; it's hardware simulation, really

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Platypus posted:

Joycons are fine, I have no idea why people nonstop complain about them

Especially in the wrong darned thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Sega consoles might actually be decent in the future. Especially if they can fix what sounds like a really irritating UI.