Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bluemillion posted:

Is it possible for a normal human being to just like, buy one of these at a store yet? Or are the Hyperscalper A.I.'s still snapping them up?

I wandered into my local Target yesterday around 5pm, found 3 on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The SNES sound never blew me away at the time, not that It wasn't good but I had an amiga years before the SNES came out so it never sounded that groundbreaking.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Captain Invictus posted:

My hot takes are correct takes, though.

Literally the only other person on the forum consistently as terribly wrong on every subject as you is Zaphod, buddy. Think about that next time you gear up to dispense another one of your laughable hot takes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently SNES Classics purchased from Amazon do not include an AC adapter.

https://twitter.com/andrewalerts/status/920417289224183808

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

jivjov posted:

Apparently SNES Classics purchased from Amazon do not include an AC adapter.

https://twitter.com/andrewalerts/status/920417289224183808

Japanese distributed systems don't come with AC adapters and that's definitely not sold by Amazon US.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought the US ones didn't have adapters, either?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

US ones do have it

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Echophonic posted:

I thought the US ones didn't have adapters, either?

They have them.

efb

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Walmart cancelled my August 22 preorder, just a heads-up if anyone else had one in limbo.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
What was the link to High quality SNES box art?

also does Hackchi have issues with the diffrences in SMC and SFC

edit: decided on ten games that if I do try Hackchi. Good Variety?

1. Sim City
2. Mario All Stars
3. Aladdin
4. Zombies Ate my Neighbors
5. ChronoTrigger
6. TMNT IV
7. Super Bomberman
8. Actraiser
9. Gradius III
10. Maximum Carnage

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 18, 2017

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Bluemillion posted:

Is it possible for a normal human being to just like, buy one of these at a store yet? Or are the Hyperscalper A.I.'s still snapping them up?

You have probably missed the last restock for a week at least but if you pay attention to brickseek (for Walmart at least, dunno if they fixed the issue with tracking Target supply) and istocknow you could get a hold of one probably pretty easily. I've managed to get my siblings info so they could get their own from Walmart, one for myself and when my local Walmart gets stock in I'm going to grab one for a friend.

It's not nearly as bad as the NES classic but you will probably not be able to walk into a store on a whim and get one anytime soon if ever barring an insane supply, especially with the holiday season coming up. Online I'd say even less of a shot. It helps that a lot of stores seem to be limiting how many you can buy at a time. From my reading (and experience) target was allowing one per customer per day and Walmart was allowing two.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm playing through Earthbound for the first time ever and I've had the Twoson music stuck in my head all day.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

CVagts posted:

Walmart cancelled my August 22 preorder, just a heads-up if anyone else had one in limbo.

ugh, that sucks. My backorder email said they'll cancel by 11/30 if they don't get more but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens sooner

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Kevyn posted:

I'm playing through Earthbound for the first time ever and I've had the Twoson music stuck in my head all day.

Earthbound is easily the best game in the bundle. Close second is Mario RPG. TBH, I would have bought it if it only had these two games.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

What was the link to High quality SNES box art?

also does Hackchi have issues with the diffrences in SMC and SFC

edit: decided on ten games that if I do try Hackchi. Good Variety?

1. Sim City
2. Mario All Stars
3. Aladdin
4. Zombies Ate my Neighbors
5. ChronoTrigger
6. TMNT IV
7. Super Bomberman
8. Actraiser
9. Gradius III
10. Maximum Carnage

It’s basically fool proof, just go for it. Also add Tetris & Dr Mario

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

It’s basically fool proof, just go for it. Also add Tetris & Dr Mario

Yes I want that as well but these were ones I wanted to demo it out on. There are at least 5 more I can think of off the top of my head that I’d add and most of them are Mega Man Related :P

This is to use as a pilot and to give my system more variety.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
I was wondering why my step-brother's system didn't come with an AC adapter and I now I know why. I hadn't opened mine yet, but I see that it was distributed by Active Boeki as well so that kind of sucks. I don't know if I care enough to try and exchange it or anything though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

is there problems running Chrono Trigger on this thing? I've heard statements towards that possibility.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

is there problems running Chrono Trigger on this thing? I've heard statements towards that possibility.

I just made it to Robo and haven't had any issues

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The things I'm most looking forward to trying on the Classic are a few romhacks and translations. I put together a cut content one for Chrono Trigger (Chrono Trigger+), CT Crimson Echoes, Parallel Worlds Remodel, the Woolsley Uncensored FF6 patch, fixed versions of Terranigma, Lufia 2, and SD3. Also am going to throw the GBA emulator and the Mother 3 english Translation.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Echophonic posted:

The things I'm most looking forward to trying on the Classic are a few romhacks and translations. I put together a cut content one for Chrono Trigger (Chrono Trigger+), CT Crimson Echoes, Parallel Worlds Remodel, the Woolsley Uncensored FF6 patch, fixed versions of Terranigma, Lufia 2, and SD3. Also am going to throw the GBA emulator and the Mother 3 english Translation.

Add Marvelous Another Treasure Island to that list. Eiji Aonuma’s first game he directed. You can totally see why Miyamoto brought him on for Zelda after playing it. Really cool charming game with a fan translation.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SeANMcBAY posted:

Add Marvelous Another Treasure Island to that list. Eiji Aonuma’s first game he directed. You can totally see why Miyamoto brought him on for Zelda after playing it. Really cool charming game with a fan translation.

Good call, added!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been trying to get a few romhacks to work on this, and only the Mother 1 20th anniversary one seems to work. I've tried it both with the english patch for Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem and the english patch for Rockman & Forte.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's usually those loving headers man. You either need to remove them, or add them, and there's no telling which way you need to go if you don't have a readme for the hack, and you need to be on the right rom version as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no idea what those are, or what I need to do to remove them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Read 'n' learn!

techknight posted:

You need to get the original ROM and then patch it yourself. There's a quite a mess of utilities involved. For anyone who hasn't done this before, I present a mini guide:

How to patch translations and hacks onto ROMs for the SNES Classic

The best source for the most up-to-date English translations, weird level hacks, and utilities is ROMhacking.net

Here's the software you'll need:

Floating IPS for applying patch files to ROMs
TUSH for quickly checking whether or not your ROM has a header, and changing it (explained below)

Obtain a patch in the form of an IPS file

Have a look through the translations section on ROMhacking.net. You can limit your search by platform, so be sure to select Super Nintendo from the dropdown. (The download link on each page is not very prominent, so use ctrl+f to find it if you can't see it at first. The site may ask you to verify that you're not a bot before it lets you download your patch.)

Unzip the download, and have a look through whatever README or other text file is included in the zip. This file has very important information that you need to properly patch your ROM.

The two things that you need to know, is whether the patch needs to be applied to a "headered" ROM or an "unheadered" ROM, and, which version of a ROM the patch applies to.

Headers

In the old days, cartridge dumping tools would add a small section of information about the cart to the top of a ROM file. That information was necessary in back when people were copying ROMs onto floppy disks that plugged into a SNES add-on that enabled piracy.

That information is largely just ignored by modern emulators, so more-recent dumps of SNES ROMs don't include that information at all.

Versions

When cartridge games were found to have been released with a serious bug, companies would sometimes update the game and release all new cartridges from that point with the new version. One of the most famous examples of that on the SNES is the "sketch" bug in the initial US release of Final Fantasy 6 (FF3). In later shipments of the game, the bug is fixed.

That means a patch you download for Final Fantasy 6 might require any of six different versions of the game. These three distinct versions, plus headered or unheadered:

Final Fantasy III (USA)
Final Fantasy III (USA) (Rev 1)
Final Fantasy VI (Japan)

Original game ROM

This could come from your own cartridge if you have one of these, but otherwise a quick google search will generally get you what you need. If you do get a ROM from who-knows-where, the older that dump is, the more likely it is to have a header.

How to tell if your ROM has a header

For me, the quickest way was to load TUSH and browse for a file:

As soon as you load a ROM, it will let you know whether there's a header or not. If there's no header, and your IPS file requires one, go ahead and click Add Header and you're ready to patch. (as well as the reverse situation)

Applying the patch

Load up Floating IPS and click Apply Patch:

That will prompt you to select the IPS file, then select the ROM file, and finally the name of the new ROM file that you want to output. Make note of where you saved that, and then add it via hakchi.

Exceptions

There are some exceptions. There were other ways of storing ROM files that I haven't gone into, and the older the translation, the more likely it is that something extra has to be done. ROMhacking.net will sometimes list "Addendum" patches that roll up changes and are meant to be applied to more modern ROM dumps, like with Tales of Phantasia for example: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2335/

Others have their own separate patching tools.. Radical Dreamers - the visual novel prequel/sequel to Chrono Trigger - has an EXE file to run instead of an IPS file: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/403/

Good luck!

I hope that clears it up a bit if you've never patched a ROM before - but if you run into trouble there's lots of us in the thread who can answer questions.

Edit:
Oh yeah, also I found a lot of good high-res box art scans through here if anyone needs it: https://games.alphacoders.com

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh. Thanks a lot. That's a huge help.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been double checking my hashes before I patch stuff, which'll hopefully avoid issues. If you're on Windows 10, you can just open up a Powershell window (hold shift and right click the folder your files are in) and run certutil.exe from there. I just hit tab to fill in the filename.

The command is certutil.exe -hashfile <filename> MD5

The last one is whatever hash you want to use, most of the things on romhacking.net give you MD5 hashes.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh. Thanks a lot. That's a huge help.

Yep, good luck. I can tell you that Mystery of the Emblem should have no trouble running once patched.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well I got Fire Emblem working but not R&F, even though I went through the same steps. Hrm.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I got mine from Amazon today.

It came in a vanilla packing envelope. The box was slightly dinged but whatever.

It also came with an AC adapter and that stupid old poster with all the games on it that was super cool when I was like 4.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

sinepost posted:

If you like those, there’s a good primer of Follin’s music here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=GC1dTzyb5Gs

If you have the time, watch/listen to this. It's pretty amazing what he was able to squeeze out of those early PC's and gaming consoles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Easy way to tell at a glance if a rom has a header, if it is an odd file size. Without a header will always be an even number. With will always be odd cause that header is one byte.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Hold up. As in patched, like Illusion of Gaia, to work with the default emulator? Or using Retroarch.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Snuffman posted:

Hold up. As in patched, like Illusion of Gaia, to work with the default emulator? Or using Retroarch.

Retroarch, but fixed as in NTSC and a cleaned up font. I just went with a translation on SD3 and am going to try out the Lufia 2 Fixxer patch.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 18, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say that getting the Sword of Kings in Earthbound is just as loving annoying to get as I remember. But gently caress, I guess my levels will be really high now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

okay apparently the rom I was using for Rockman & Forte to begin with wasn't even working.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Duckman2008 posted:

I just want to say that getting the Sword of Kings in Earthbound is just as loving annoying to get as I remember. But gently caress, I guess my levels will be really high now.

This is one of the rare things I use save states for since I don’t want to be too overpowered. I only go for it since it’s Poo’s only weapon. I never bother with the other 1/128 items.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, "Mega Man & Bass" now works, as does Fire Emblem. That's a nice cap to two days of frustration.

I wonder what other modded stuff would be good to put in this thing. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Super Star Wars games all work, though SESB has wonky music for me.

Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures also works perfectly... it's not a bad game, all things considered.