Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I probably should have been curating my SNES library for this moment.

It seems like as long as you backup your kernel there's almost no chance of bricking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

eonwe posted:

im a big really dumb idiot and I did this easy

I downloaded the thing, followed the connection instructions, dumped kernel, added my roms, did the google thing built in to pick my box art, synced the games, and thats it

of course anything can happen and youc ould brick it, but you'll probably be okay

Thanks! I haven't heard any horror stories other than people who didn't back up their kernel. I've gotten my hands dirty with PSP modding and Raspberry Pie Retroarch stuff so I'm not too worried about the act of doing it. Now if I can actually curate a tight list of games or if I end up with a bloated list of games that just clutter up the list.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

techknight posted:

Oh wait, I see what I hosed up - you have to drag and drop the retroarch_with_cores.zip file onto the hakchi window to install it, rather than extracting to what appears to be the right folder.

Ok, doing all that, then adding the --retroarch argument to the command-line did not fix Terranigma, but it did make Illusion of Gaia work, (at least getting past the title screen):

All right, this is what I've settled on for my library.. I ditched Contra, DKC, FF3, Kirbys, SGnG, SMW, and Yoshi's Island from the stock list and added these:

Happy to take suggestions!

Add Yoshi’s Island.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

techknight posted:

You shouldn't need to delete them - at least I didn't, I just re-sync'd and it sorted things out

It's at the bottom, I removed the stock version and added a patched ver that disables the crying sound :)

My bad, I stopped reading at “removed Yoshi’s Island” then my nerd rage set in. :)

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

uniracers has a weird thing where the cpu racer will flip out and just display a sprite in the middle of the screen. also is there a way to get every game to show up on one screen without folders, or is 21 the max?

Disable folders in the hakchi settings. I have 59 games on the main screen

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

64 is way better than SNES mario kart and it's not even close.

this is coming from someone who played both a whole bunch

Not only is 64 not as good as SMK, it’s not even a good game.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

God drat that's a spicy hot take.
I think the tracks are too long, it’s ugly, and I would probably play any other Mario Kart over it.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Name a game on the N64 that wasn't ugly. Star Fox 64? Maybe???

And that's your choice, but it's a poor one!

I don’t think you’ll catch me defending or praising the N64 in this lifetime.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Great post Blarg, love reading about this stuff

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
So I modded my SNES back with the first official release of Hackchi 2 that supported the SNES Classic. I put 35 games plus the original 21 and it all seems to work but sometimes does some funny stuff.

Occasionally when going back to the home screen it will get stuck in an HDMI handshake loop. Power off/on will fix it but the last time I waited it out and it found its way.

After that though, Mario would run through the homescreen to launch demos - every game he jumped into would just bring up an empty box and it wouldn't launch the demo.

Didn't see anything on Google or in the pages of this thread that I have read. If I install the newest Hackchi, I can just resync through there and it will maybe fix it? Also, if I have a second SNES Classic to mod - do I just use the portable version on the same computer and just move the saved data out of the folder?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Ok that’s good. One problem down. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
So my SNES Classic got into that weird HDMI handshake loop and wouldn’t get out of it even after unplugging the power for a minute. Totally bizarre.

I reflashed the stock kernel and moved some games into folders (boo) so I wouldn’t have 59 on the homescreen. Seems good now, back to being lost in Super Metroid.