Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this was an extremely good episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

:hai:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am glad that the diving club got my friend Teko out of her slump by being super great friends i disapprove of sad tekos

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I am glad that the diving club got my friend Teko out of her slump by being super great friends i disapprove of sad tekos

So not disapprove of sad Teko. Disapprove of the sadness affecting Teko.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Colonel posted:

:yeah:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Personally I turned it off when she started having an existential crisis over the photos on her phone.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol at dropping an episode because a character who has been previously established to be super emotional and anxious got super emotional and anxious over something personal to her

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Personally I turned it off when she started having an existential crisis over the photos on her phone.

What's it like to be a robot?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Can't believe this character, people never get emotionally invested and hung up on things that appear silly from the outside, especially not lonely teenage girls, no sir

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What's it like to be a robot?

Pretty good. I don't have to have a mental breakdown when my cereal gets soggy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nitrousoxide posted:

did you not watch the last eight episodes of this show

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Colonel posted:

did you not watch the last eight episodes of this show

I did. All the other characters are fine. But she is the embodiment of the Japanese simpering, emotional woman archetype that I despise.

I honestly don't know how we are supposed to believe that she manages to get by every day without having several breakdowns a week when things don't go perfectly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps my friend Teko is stronger than you think.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

she is the embodiment of the Japanese simpering, emotional woman archetype that I despise.

lol/yikes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I did. All the other characters are fine. But she is the embodiment of the Japanese simpering, emotional woman archetype that I despise.

please never post in this thread again

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why do you watch anything at all? I mean, most of us non-robots derive enjoyment from the emotions these shows evoke, since you apparently don't have that capacity I have to wonder what you find interesting about stories in general.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I honestly don't know how we are supposed to believe that she manages to get by every day without having several breakdowns a week when things don't go perfectly.

Oh, ok, you're not a robot, you're an rear end in a top hat. :ms:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why do you watch anything at all? I mean, most of us non-robots derive enjoyment from the emotions these shows evoke, since you apparently don't have that capacity I have to wonder what you find interesting about stories in general.

I enjoy plenty of slice of life shows. The only emotions this one evoke in me are frustration with the main character and boredom with the glacial pace.

I realize this is a at least partly a show about how Futaba gets out of her shell, but she is so timid and spineless at the start so as to be unlikable, at least for me. Clearly people can reasonably differ on that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if all this show does is frustrate and bore you then why are you even watching it

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nitrousoxide posted:

But she is the embodiment of the Japanese simpering, emotional woman archetype that I despise.

Chiri mo tsumoreba Yamato Nadeshiko, shi nuki de- iya, shinu ki de!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I enjoy plenty of slice of life shows. The only emotions this one evoke in me are frustration with the main character and boredom with the glacial pace.

I realize this is a at least partly a show about how Futaba gets out of her shell, but she is so timid and spineless at the start so as to be unlikable, at least for me. Clearly people can reasonably differ on that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Can I not express my frustration with this show? Or is this thread only for people who like everything about it?

I like the other characters and the detailed art and the scuba diving setting. I dislike the main character.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
well that's not what you said earlier

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem isn't so much you expressing your opinion of the show as much as up until now, all you've said implies that you don't like it on a level that just makes me question why you'd waste time watching it in the first place

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

well that's not what you said earlier

What? about those faces? I still don't like those.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
simpering

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I said the main character is simpering? Yes? That is one of the reasons I don't like her. Correct. That doesn't undermine other elements of the show that I do like.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not liking a thing is fine.

Nitrousoxide posted:

But she is the embodiment of the Japanese simpering, emotional woman archetype that I despise.

This is less so. More damningly, it appears to be the only substantive criticism you've offered, so there's not much anyone can say in response beyond "I dunno it rang true enough for me." If it doesn't resonate with you, that's fine, but if that's the extent of what you have to say about it then you're not really offering anything to the discussion beyond a wet blanket, and I don't know why you'd expect people to be to enthusiastic about that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it's a little odd to be frustrated with a show for effectively portraying what one of its characters is supposed to be about, because that is not a problem of the show. You can dislike those character traits (though your description was perhaps not the best choice of words), but that isn't a flaw in the show. Some people relate to Teko and you don't, and that's fine, but you're being oddly aggressive about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

if all this show does is frustrate and bore you then why are you even watching it

Goons are weird like that, just look at the no mans sky thread

Or better yet, don't

Nitrousoxide posted:

I said the main character is simpering? Yes? That is one of the reasons I don't like her. Correct. That doesn't undermine other elements of the show that I do like.

You're as insufferable as you claim her to be

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm not great at telling VAs apart, but it sounded like they had Hazuki Erino voice one of Teko's old friends.

If that's the case, it's a really great bit of fan service. Kozue Amano, the mangaka of Amanchu, wrote Aria, and in its anime adaptation, Hazuki Erino voiced the main character, Akari.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
when the entire point of the show is a character desperately wanting to be more than a 'simpering, emotional, woman archetype' (I think that's the literal worst way to put that criticism, that's the main reason it made people go 'yikes', it's kinda weird to be all 'ugh she had an emotional reaction to something that should be trivial but because she has so little context/experience with the world around her she puts a higher value on it? BYE'

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tatum Girlparts posted:

when the entire point of the show is a character desperately wanting to be more than a 'simpering, emotional, woman archetype' (I think that's the literal worst way to put that criticism, that's the main reason it made people go 'yikes', it's kinda weird to be all 'ugh she had an emotional reaction to something that should be trivial but because she has so little context/experience with the world around her she puts a higher value on it? BYE'

)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This was a very good episode. Teko was very much relatable, and my eyes have have gotten wet from something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

:yikes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol those loving emotional women amirite guys? :jerkbag:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

I'm not great at telling VAs apart, but it sounded like they had Hazuki Erino voice one of Teko's old friends.

If that's the case, it's a really great bit of fan service. Kozue Amano, the mangaka of Amanchu, wrote Aria, and in its anime adaptation, Hazuki Erino voiced the main character, Akari.

Yes, Hazuki Erino voiced Akane

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

unpronounceable posted:

yeah this was fantastic :kimchi:

The early setup episodes were a bit rough but the adaptation has really come into its own by now and enhances the original material rather than just rehearsing it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

unpronounceable posted:

her first line in the episode is a freakin "hahiii"

thank you, whoever did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

someone please post a gif of pitari blowing steam out her nose, tia

• Locked thread