Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Part 6.?????: oh jesus christ

So thanks to forums pal END ME SCOOB, I bring you the game's one(?) easter egg, which comes up if you hammer the a button and skip a bunch of dialogue in the radio tower cutscene.

So I first played this at a weird time in my life.

I mean, I say weird but I mean kind of nightmarish? Endless housewifin' and lots of getting screamed at for little mistakes and everything from Liking Things Wrong to cable management-ing wrong to putting a moratorium on pie-baking to existing too hard. Not a lot of downtime, not a lot of stability.

So, y'know, not a lot of headspace for retaining dumb game stuff. (other than playing the Phantom Pain and occasionally looking at it like a puppy that poo poo the bed so hard it shunted the bed off into an entirely separate dimension, i will forever hold that memory in my heart)

So I completely forgot about....

that.

I completely forgot that existed. Totally slipped my mind! And then Scoob linking it brought back the memory of the full-body wince I got from seeing the shimapan line at some point and it's like...'oh oh yes right this is a thing that exists and it is DREADFUL.'

So that's a thing.

Endings are recorded. Look forward to Giant Baby Satan's Wild Ride, uh....tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
END ME SCOOB sure seems to be an expert on awful things, what between this and they Sword of Truth thread

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

speaking of:

for gently caress's sake

yes i know it's a joke :v:

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 5, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Deceitful Penguin posted:

END ME SCOOB sure seems to be an expert on awful things, what between this and they Sword of Truth thread

Say what you like, but between some solid art design and the excellent OST, this game is way above "awful", story or not.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Thuryl posted:

Voting Ending A, because frankly it seems like the more sensible and straightforward of the two options and we should save the worst for last.
Voting A.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

END ME SCOOB posted:

Say what you like, but between some solid art design and the excellent OST, this game is way above "awful", story or not.

Eeeh, it's kind of subjective but sometimes a game's narrative is so lovely and gross that for most people it tanks most everything else?

The backer stuff and the AI and some of the mechanics don't help, either.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Ningyou posted:

Eeeh, it's kind of subjective but sometimes a game's narrative is so lovely and gross that for most people it tanks most everything else?

The backer stuff and the AI and some of the mechanics don't help, either.

Yeah, the world isn't lacking in options for games with good gameplay, art and music. Even without feeling that the story or other elements are so bad as to ruin the rest of the experience, there are other games to experience that are as fun and pretty, without stories that you need to ignore to enjoy.

Also a game shoving GG's poo poo in your face is a totally legitimate reason to call it awful. If a game is unplayable for any reason I don't see how mechanics, art, or music can redeem it. Those being good just makes those specific aspects good parts of a bad game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FicusArt posted:

Also a game shoving GG's poo poo in your face is a totally legitimate reason to call it awful. If a game is unplayable for any reason I don't see how mechanics, art, or music can redeem it.

I'd argue it's not "shoving" anything given that I just thought that NPC was a nerd. But at the very least, whoa Nelly this is not "unplayable". I can start pulling out actual busted-rear end games if you wanna go that far.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
What's "pink a shimapan"? Is that supposed to be "a pink shimapan"? And shimapan are...

...oh.

Oh for the love of...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'd argue it's not "shoving" anything given that I just thought that NPC was a nerd. But at the very least, whoa Nelly this is not "unplayable". I can start pulling out actual busted-rear end games if you wanna go that far.

It's "playable" only in that it's free of any significant bugs that render the program inoperable, or similar technical issues. Just because you have the literal ability to play the game, doesn't mean it's something a person is able to play in good conscience. I'm sure everyone in this thread can think of a game or three with messaging so gross that they could not imagine playing it for any reason other than mockery.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

EclecticTastes posted:

It's "playable" only in that it's free of any significant bugs that render the program inoperable, or similar technical issues. Just because you have the literal ability to play the game, doesn't mean it's something a person is able to play in good conscience. I'm sure everyone in this thread can think of a game or three with messaging so gross that they could not imagine playing it for any reason other than mockery.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of playing games I don't enjoy to mock the devs. And if it's a game with a disgusting theme, there's a second reason not to play, since just buying the game would put money in the developers' pockets.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Davin Valkri posted:

Personally, I don't see the appeal of playing games I don't enjoy to mock the devs. And if it's a game with a disgusting theme, there's a second reason not to play, since just buying the game would put money in the developers' pockets.

On the first point, it's the same reason MST3K was wildly popular, clever jokes about a bad game make for a fun experience for many people. As for the second, if the devs are true reprobates, well, I certainly wouldn't encourage financially empowering them in the process of acquiring their game for the purpose of mockery. So, yeah, probably don't play it. Though, one person buying and mocking it could ultimately cost the dev far more in lost sales, with the right platform and audience.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Davin Valkri posted:

i-i bought this game because the premise sounded neat and the aesthetic looked okay and i was hopeful and only learned about the lovely stuff the hard way :ohdear:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ningyou posted:

i-i bought this game because the premise sounded neat and the aesthetic looked okay and i was hopeful and only learned about the lovely stuff the hard way :ohdear:

Oh, sorry if I sounded like I was criticizing you. I mostly just read ET's comment and wondered "is there any circumstance where I would play Hatred or something?". This is a good LP. It probably fits their first point accurately.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Davin Valkri posted:

"is there any circumstance where I would play Hatred or something?"

If you buy enough bundles, you too can have the Springfield Tire Fire of gaming libraries.

Hatred is sub-Postal 1, incidentally.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Also this is kind of late because apparently having four different chat clients open at once wrecks my attention span, but...

END ME SCOOB posted:

i dunno, sticking the fairly recognizable mascot of a harassment group that harassed women cis and trans alike a ton for Saying Mean Things About Video Games (but one that saved the worst of it for trans women in particular) in a game about a trans lady trying to navigate a transphobic society is kinda hard not to read as lovely nerds trying to shove things in to ~trigger some sjws~ or w/e?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm sad that somebody made a cyberpunk game with a trans lady protagonist but the result was, well, this, instead of a game that literally anybody would want to play, ever. Just using us as props to argue... well... whatever this game's completely incoherent point is meant to be. :smith:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm sad that somebody made a cyberpunk game with a trans lady protagonist but the result was, well, this, instead of a game that literally anybody would want to play, ever. Just using us as props to argue... well... whatever this game's completely incoherent point is meant to be. :smith:

There is a good cyberpunk game with a trans lady protagonist (slight background spoilers for that game) Lao, one of the player characters from Technobabylon..

Ningyou posted:

Hi five, fellow regretful purchase LPer.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ningyou posted:

fairly recognizable mascot

But this is my point. Sure, if you know what it is it might be clear, but until you told me, I had no idea that mascot even existed, and I don't think the character is ever named. She's just "nerd with a hair clip who kinda sucks at video games, based on her dialog"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

....but, uh, unless I'm just bad at reading tonight your argument is "this isn't shoving recognizable symbols of a hate group in people's faces because i myself did not recognize this thing." :s

Like, I hope this doesn't sound super snippy, but that you didn't recognize it doesn't necessarily mean it's some mega-obscure thing, and that the hate group mascot doesn't say anything gross doesn't make her any less of a hate group mascot shoved into this game about the kinds of people that hate group tends to target.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ningyou posted:

....but, uh, unless I'm just bad at reading tonight your argument is "this isn't shoving recognizable symbols of a hate group in people's faces because i myself did not recognize this thing." :s

Like, I hope this doesn't sound super snippy, but that you didn't recognize it doesn't necessarily mean it's some mega-obscure thing, and that the hate group mascot doesn't say anything gross doesn't make her any less of a hate group mascot shoved into this game about the kinds of people that hate group tends to target.

Especially since the entire rest of this game seems to be at least sort of conversant (I mean, not in a good or coherent way but clearly they've encountered the ideas before) in internet discourse, feminism, gaming culture, etc. I have a really hard time believing that somebody could make this game, specifically, without any idea who Vivian James was (assuming the GGers who got her in the game even tried to hide their affiliation in the first place).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
My argument is "if you were not somewhat familiar with the character already, you would never know any of this", yes, because the only different thing about them in-game is a more colorful sprite. No name, no politics, about three stupid jokes about playing games poorly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
This is where we could talk about the limits of artistic vision and how this mixes wit the kickstarter model but I havent the foggiest loving clue what, f anything, this game wanted to say

Also the game is also hella mediocre as a game, not just storywise. I defend bad games sometimes and there might be stuff to defend here but its not really a hill worth dyin on

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
This is like a wacky misunderstanding where you thought you were at a halloween party where everyone came as a ghost.

Sorry pal an emblem is an emblem, and the folks who would recognize it either follow its ethos or were hurt by those who do. That being the case I envy you your ignorance of the scum of netlandia

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Vivian James is such an exceptionally gross emblem: "See, it's okay we threaten to rape and murder real women, because we totally love this imaginary waifu it means we don't hate women."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Empress Theonora posted:

I think the game's point is "One-eyed shapeshifting monsters secretly controlling the world is bad"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Vivian James is such an exceptionally gross emblem: "See, it's okay we threaten to rape and murder real women, because we totally love this imaginary waifu it means we don't hate women."
Lol, was thinkin the exact same thing coming home from work; it's like if the people against BLM would have invented some kind of Uncle Ruckus type character to be the fictional mouthpiece for their poo poo

like, having to invent a 2d waifu to show you don't hate women is such a self own I'm still baffled it took off

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lol, was thinkin the exact same thing coming home from work; it's like if the people against BLM would have invented some kind of Uncle Ruckus type character to be the fictional mouthpiece for their poo poo

like, having to invent a 2d waifu to show you don't hate women is such a self own I'm still baffled it took off

It would be like Jeff Dunham "proving" his jokes aren't islamophobic by having Achmed the Dead Terrorist vouch for him.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Yep.

Like, I'm going to half-qualify this by saying I know some chan-adjacent people who are lovely folk - queer as heck and generally pleasant, don't eat, sleep and breathe slurs and regressive bullshit, don't rant about The Ess Jay Dubyas Stepping On Me And By That I Mean Taking Are Games!!!! - but grundygalleta types kinda.....aren't big on self-awareness.

And so we end up with "yes making a fictional altright Cool Girl who is never not either hypersexualized or One of the Dudes and gosh wouldn't you know she Just Wants to Play Games without those agenda-driven sjws killing the mood by talking about being deluged with harassment UGH and literally putting words in her mouth, this will show those skeletons."

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Ningyou posted:

speaking of:

for gently caress's sake

yes i know it's a joke :v:

As someone who owns 2 of those shirts (I'm in deep), I coulda gone my whole life without seeing this game connected to it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

It would be like Jeff Dunham "proving" his jokes aren't islamophobic by having Achmed the Dead Terrorist vouch for him.

Not really. Dunham never tries to use him as a political statement and openly admits his characters are steeped in stereotypes. Also Achmed is funny so it's okay.
It would be like if his audience used Achmed to make NOTISLAMAPHOBIC statements.

I dunno what this game is going for cause it's neither funny nor incisive.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 6, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

SSNeoman posted:

Not really. Dunham never tries to use him as a political statement and openly admits his characters are steeped in stereotypes. Also Achmed is funny so it's okay.
It would be like if his audience used Achmed to make NOTISLAMAPHOBIC statements.

:crossarms:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Part 7: In my dreams we're all burning and the only one left is Giant Baby Satan

Being disappointed is part of being. Not a constant, unrelenting part, but....it's a thing! It happens! And if you had any hope for where this ends, you are going to drown in it.

In which we, well, drown in it. (The Watcher)

This is the part where I say "GOSH I MEAN I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S TOO OBVIOUS BUT i didn't like the ending."

It's the capstone to an arc that starts in actual relevant issues even if they're handled hamhandedly and ends with....

"The illuminati did it."

"The illuminati encouraged a lovely internet nihilist's idea of Humanity's Worst Impulses because gosh, they're bored."

"The illuminati distracted you so they could PUT TESTOSTERONE IN THE WATER MWAHAHA to foment conflict because fuckin yolo i guess."

"Everything that has ever happened is because the illuminati spurred it on or let it happen because for the illuminati the whole of human history is a homegrown reality tv marathon."

"Everyone is blind to everything because Our Bud with a Bad Rap, Our Pal, Our Cuddle Chum, Enormous Gruel Baby Satan, he's been kept in the least child safety law-compliant day care EVER and humanity sees what he sees and gosh he sacrifices so much of himself for all of us even if NO ONE APPRECIATES HIM and it's only now that humanity's eyes have been wrenched open"

It's just such a loving cop-out, chalking everything up to The Illuminati Pulling the Strings.

I get the feeling that the dev is going for some kind of messy funhouse-mirror critique of big government here - people can't drive their own fates because the Sentient Sundae Syrup Nanny Statists think people can't be left on their own and have to be thrown way off-balance and then spoonfed progress and encouragement and "ways of thinking that suit the times!" People who Know Better can't be kept under the government's thumb! - but...I don't know. It's dumb.

e: oh right, I'm scatterbrained as heck and I forgot to add this. So, the thing about Elsa 120 years ago is a callback to the dev's previous game, Subbania, where you play a Nazi submarine crew who try to invade the US by submarine at the behest of another Literal One-eyed Illuminati Pyramid Head and there's not-great art and oh by the way you're literally playing nazis and oh gosh whoops suddenly you're in Hell! I am more and more unsure I want to do a little sub-LP (haw) of this but from what I can glean, uh.....she was on the submarine, that it ended up in hell wasn't an accident, now i guess she's one of the Gal Pals from Brazil but also an ageless shapeshifter. I don't loving know.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 6, 2016

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Ningyou posted:

Part 7: In my dreams we're all burning and the only one left is Giant Baby Satan

Being disappointed is part of being. Not a constant, unrelenting part, but....it's a thing! It happens! And if you had any hope for where this ends, you are going to drown in it.

In which we, well, drown in it. (The Watcher)

This is the part where I say "GOSH I MEAN I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S TOO OBVIOUS BUT i didn't like the ending."

It's the capstone to an arc that starts in actual relevant issues even if they're handled hamhandedly and ends with....

"The illuminati did it."

"The illuminati encouraged a lovely internet nihilist's idea of Humanity's Worst Impulses because gosh, they're bored."

"The illuminati distracted you so they could PUT TESTOSTERONE IN THE WATER MWAHAHA to foment conflict because fuckin yolo i guess."

"Everything that has ever happened is because the illuminati spurred it on or let it happen because for the illuminati the whole of human history is a homegrown reality tv marathon."

"Everyone is blind to everything because Our Bud with a Bad Rap, Our Pal, Our Cuddle Chum, Enormous Gruel Baby Satan, he's been kept in the least child safety law-compliant day care EVER and humanity sees what he sees and gosh he sacrifices so much of himself for all of us even if NO ONE APPRECIATES HIM and it's only now that humanity's eyes have been wrenched open"

It's just such a loving cop-out, chalking everything up to The Illuminati Pulling the Strings.

I get the feeling that the dev is going for some kind of messy funhouse-mirror critique of big government here - people can't drive their own fates because the Sentient Sundae Syrup Nanny Statists think people can't be left on their own and have to be thrown way off-balance and then spoonfed progress and encouragement and "ways of thinking that suit the times!" People who Know Better can't be kept under the government's thumb! - but...I don't know. It's dumb.

I don't even know if the dev is trying to have a big message about anything with the illuminati, since their next game seems to be about helping them come to power?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I was vaguely curious about this game because I totally want to see more trans protagonists, but I ultimately avoided it because it looked like it was going to be really hamhanded. It's impressive how they managed to not only be really hamhanded, but also completely devoid of any actual coherent message because somewhere along the way the developer thought it was a good idea to turn the plot into fighting the illuminati with the help of ghost buddy and Satan.

also every line of dialogue makes me want to grind my face off with a belt sander

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

d-d-d-d-drakengard...???

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

SSNeoman posted:

d-d-d-d-drakengard...???
if only.

Ryushikaze posted:

I don't even know if the dev is trying to have a big message about anything with the illuminati, since their next game seems to be about helping them come to power?
I mean, of course the dev isn't trying to make a Grand Statement about the illuminati, this isn't Mario Party 16 Now Featuring Waluigi, Space Yoshi, Alex Jones, and David Icke but uhhhhh

But what I was saying was, trying to explore serious issues (even hamhandedly!) and then kind of tossing everything and going 'IT WAS ALLLLLL 'COS THE LATEX BIG GOVERNMENT BOOBMONSTER ILLUMINATI but it's okay because our pal li'l lucifer morningstar is here' is a copout.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

d-d-d-d-drakengard...???
Yeah, that's about what I was thinking.

And as noted, this ending is such patent nonsense even compared to how the story has attempted profundity but fallen way short. I'd call it unintentional bathos if it were humerous, but mostly it's just repulsive. (Though the ending taken on its own absolutely is funny and thus qualifies.)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

d-d-d-d-drakengard...???

The difference is that with Drakengard, it was intentional (well, for 1 and 3, anyway). This thing is just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So I just read this thread in one sitting and...

what?

• Locked thread