Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'm moving into my first adult adult place and want to stock it with art. I've spent a few hours online but am having a hard time finding good websites and artists. I was wondering if y'all have recommendations. I'd consider both originals and prints. My budget is $300-2k per piece with a total budget of $5-10k. I like Lichtenstein and other pop art as well as landscapes of mountain or nautical/beach scenes.

My wife and I also can't think of the term or style name, but we love the massive (4-6 feet?) photos, often of something like a wave, printed with/on something like acrylic, that have very very vibrant colors and a glossy finish. You see them in almost every gallery in a bougey ocean-side town. Can anyone help with how to describe or search for this?

edit: Found this, this is a good example of what I'm referring to. The artist is Peter Lik, lik.com:

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

augias
Apr 7, 2009

If you really like huge acrylic prints of tropical beaches, then you should find a superhigh resolution photograph that you like and print it yourself, because you shouldn't be paying upwards of 2k dollars if you aren't really knowledgeable and involved with art and photography. Maybe second bit of advice is try getting into art and the arts in your town before spending serious amounts of money on any or you'll regret the money spent.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Love the suggestion, I found bigacyrlic.com, they'll print up to 3ft X 5ft. Are there any particularly good sources for highres photos?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Well i was thinking of good ol google image search and you can set some search tools to give you only high res results. Hipefully someone more knowledgeable about photography will chime in. Best of luck!

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

What image quality is neccesary if you want to blow it up to a 3ft by 5ft acrylic? My wife noticed something was 300dpi and remarked it sounded low, but neither of us are experts?

Also, any other artist or website suggestions?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

What image quality is neccesary if you want to blow it up to a 3ft by 5ft acrylic? My wife noticed something was 300dpi and remarked it sounded low, but neither of us are experts?

Also, any other artist or website suggestions?
300dpi is standard.

e: to further clarify I've printed digital art I've done at 300dpi and a lot of people thought they were smooth surface acrylic paintings.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ignore the dpi of a source image, it's irrelevant. dpi is a printing term. make sure your image is around 3,000-5,000 pixels wide if you're going to be printing that size.

A 5ft print at 300dpi means you need an 18k wide image. Outside of custom work for marketing purposes it's unrealistic.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Not trying to be rude here, but if your post were about cars it would basically say, "I really like cars. I like classic muscle cars like the '68 Charger as well as 1997 Honda Accords. My budget for a car is between $2,000 and $75,000 dollars, where should I go to find a car and what car should I buy?" I get the impression that you like the IDEA of art, but aren't really familiar with the specifics - is that accurate? Not trying to be rude, it's relevant to the advice you'll get though.

If you aren't that knowledgeable about art but want to learn more, the best way to do that is find some galleries or openings that show local artists. Get out there and see some art, and you see something you like you'll have a chance to buy it directly from the artist which is one of the best ways you can support them. There's a lot of super cool stuff out there if you just go out looking, and you'll learn a lot about your own tastes in the process. The downside is that you won't get a ton of art RIGHT NOW for your move-in date, you'll gain the collection slowly but they'll all be pieces that appealed to you directly.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Also if you are dead set on having a gigantic generic stock photo dominate your living room then just go to getty images or istockphoto or some other site and purchase a super-high-res photo from there. At least that way you know the quality is good and the artist got paid for their work (unlike just grabbing whatever off of google images). If that's what you want, that's cool! Go buy a photo of the biggest wave you want and decorate your first apartment exactly the way you want it! Just be aware that there is a reason these photos are in doctor and dentist waiting rooms all over the country: they are generic and calming and do not invoke any sort of internal critique or strong feelings in anyone.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'm familiar with the world of art, the various historical movements and key artists in each if that makes sense. I took 3 art history courses in school from ancient, medieval to modern art. I just found the websites devoted to buying decent art for your home as an average young professional very lacking. I was hoping for some suggestions of some semi-well known artists to look into that offer something unique/unusual/interesting good for hanging on a wall at home and some websites that offer a well curated selection of potential art and quality printing & framing options. My wife has previously gotten stuff from olivergal.com, not sure if that's a chick thing. I like the idea of an acrylic piece, even a larger one, but I hope I have a little more taste than a massive acrylic wave as the centerpiece of my house.

My main focus will be prints, but I'd also like to perhaps explore buying limited edition prints from a specific museum/year or smaller original works from unknown artists if it's something that makes sense. Maybe I need to do some Etsy browsing? I don't really have time to immerse myself in the world of art too deeply.

Are there people you can pay to buy art for you that isn't for millionaires? Maybe an art-focused interior decorator?

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 22, 2016

testadura
Jul 23, 2016

by 2017 exmarx
i'm not sure if the style appeals, but i have two black-and-white ink pieces i'm trying to sell currently. they're each about 70 x 40 inches, without frame.

i have them listed here: http://www.saatchiart.com/account/artworks/876411, price is completely negotiable of course.

also considering your budget saatchiart.com is probably a good site to look through.

best

testadura fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 27, 2016

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

testadura posted:

i have them listed here: http://www.saatchiart.com/account/artworks/876411, price is completely negotiable of course.

best

Those are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Do you have any art studios in your city? If meet a local artist, you can see the work firsthand before buying. Purchasing from an artist can genuinely be helpful for them (it's a tough living for most), and it's nice to have art on your walls that you can tell a story about, instead of just saying that you found it online and it looked cool.

I met a really amazing local artist and bought a big graphite drawing of a severed deer head squirting out floating mushrooms. I'm really happy to have it hanging on my wall.

• Locked thread