Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super J Cup Finals are only a week away now!

Super J Cup Finals 2016
August 21st at 2:00 AM EDT/7:00 BST
Ariake Colosseum

Eita(DG), Yuma Aoyagi(AJPW) and David Finlay vs. Gurukun Mask(Ryukyu Pro), Kaiji Tomato (K-Dojo), and BUSHI
Super J Cup 2nd Rd Match:Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Taichi (SZKG)
Super J Cup 2nd Rd Match:KUSHIDA vs. Kenoh (NOAH)
Super J Cup 2nd Rd Match:Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru (SZKG)
Super J Cup 2nd Rd Match:Matt Sydal (ROH) vs. Will Ospreay (CHAOS)
CMLL Spotlight Match:Caristico, Volador Jr, and Titan vs. Ultimo Guerrero, Gran Guerrero, and Euforia
Super J Cup Semifinal:Liger/Taichi winner vs. KUSHIDA/Kenoh winner
Super J Cup Semifinal:Taguchi/Kanemaru winner vs. Sydal/Ospreay winner
GHC Jr Heavyweight Tag Championship:Atsushi Kotoge and Daisuke Harada(c) vs. Taiji Ishimori and ACH
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Championship:Young Bucks(c) vs. Motor City Machine Guns
Super J Cup Final ???? vs. ????

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rootin' hard for Matt Sydal

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

congrats ospreay

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I think the winner's gonna be a NJPW guy who writes his name in all caps romaji. Not sure which one though.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Oh hey this is this morning! at 5:30am. Oh boy... What day is the 2nd night of this tournament?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Osprey vs Sydal will be a loving incredible match, holy crap.

I'm betting that KUSHIDA takes this since Osprey won BOSJ's.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So two hours from now? So much wrestling this week :stare:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Sanguinia posted:

Osprey vs Sydal will be a loving incredible match, holy crap.

I'm betting that KUSHIDA takes this since Osprey won BOSJ's.

Saw them wrestle last year and can confirm, it was really good

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
kaji is going over

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Oh hey this is this morning! at 5:30am. Oh boy... What day is the 2nd night of this tournament?

2:00 am on Sunday August 21st. One week to the hour after the the G1 Finals show begins.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Show's starting!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is this dude a cheerleader?

This guy for Champion!

Edit: His name is Tomato. Make him DOUBLE champion!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Is this dude a cheerleader?

This guy for Champion!

Edit: His name is Tomato. Make him DOUBLE champion!

I've seen him like on two other matches and he's an ideal opening match jobber for this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rest in peace, sweet Tomato-man :shobon:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:laffo: at overdubbing Taichi's singing with fast punk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I completely forgot Taichi existed, he's been over in NOAH, right?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:siren: EITA :siren:

[edit]gently caress, WHY?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 20, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He's a jerk! :argh:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I completely forgot Taichi existed, he's been over in NOAH, right?

Yes with the rest of his stable. without the music the only reason to miss him is his valet

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

:siren: EITA :siren:

[edit]gently caress, WHY?

With Maru beating Okada it looks like they may do the same here and have a bunch of NOAH VS. NJPW title matches at King of Pro Wrestling. If KUSHIDA's not in the tourney when they need to try to fill Ariake Colosseum they really need Liger.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Taguchi is going over brothers

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this some good poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whole show has been fun but this match is really good.

Edit: Yep, KUSHIDA owns.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 20, 2016

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Good matches when Suzki-gun wasn't involved but it is a shame that no outsiders made the "real" portion of the tourney.

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

Some decent matches but the booking makes my head hurt. No good surprises, and it's starting to feel like a vehicle for them to make good for Kushida not winning BOSJ and to burn people out completely on Kushi/Ospreay (which feels weird to say but I already felt serious diminishing returns with the Dominion match).

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
lol bushiroad making everyone else who follows japanese wrestling feel dumb for thinking that a non-bushiroad wrestler was going to win a match. i guess okamura was okay with the amount of cash they sent to kobe.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 20, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Having Eita not at least make the semis and lose to Kushida is a huge waste

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

All I wanted from this tourney was an Eita/Kushida match, but he doesn't even make it past the first round. gently caress this company.

Eita no Molestar :smith:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

Some decent matches but the booking makes my head hurt. No good surprises, and it's starting to feel like a vehicle for them to make good for Kushida not winning BOSJ and to burn people out completely on Kushi/Ospreay (which feels weird to say but I already felt serious diminishing returns with the Dominion match).

KUSHIDA winning is the sensible way to go, but it's way too loving early with another match with Ospreay. Especially since they'd probably put Ospreay over the third time around and lead to a fourth match at KoPW

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

All I wanted from this tourney was an Eita/Kushida match, but he doesn't even make it past the first round. gently caress this company.

Eita no Molestar :smith:

Same.

At least Sydal/Ospreay should be good, and Liger/Taichi should be hilarious.

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

Thauros posted:

KUSHIDA winning is the sensible way to go, but it's way too loving early with another match with Ospreay. Especially since they'd probably put Ospreay over the third time around and lead to a fourth match at KoPW

Maybe it's unpopular opinion - I love KUSHIDA's actual matches but the finishing sequences when he wins are pretty loving eye-rolling. And yeah, totally agree that KUSH/WillyO needs to wait until WK11 and honestly I'd rather have Will go through other contenders first - at least BUSHI/O'Reilly (the latter moreso because it can't happen in the US now) and follow that up with another (the last in NJPW?) Ricochet match at KoPW.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

kenou ospreay final. ... Mark my words !

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Kaiji Tomato for next Tiger Mask.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Of course to no ones surprise is that Taichi's awful dirty heel gimmick is the worst thing of the tournament. Sucks that its going to be him vs. Kushida in the semis. I don't think Ospreay is going over Kanemura if both of them win their next matches. Feels like the finals will be Kushida vs. Kanemura.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I guessed Taguchi beating Kanemaru and going to NOAH to challenge for the GHC Jr. title when I first saw the bracket and we're one step closer to that now.

I really don't think Taichi is beating Liger.

I will say for as boring as the field just became, I really have no clue who is going to win. KUSHIDA, Ospreay, Sydal and even Kenoh all seem like possibilities. I guess KUSHIDA is probably the favorite, especially since they already set up a challenger for him in Volador Jr. and so don't necessarily need to use this tournament to do that.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 21, 2016

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Killing off all the outsiders in Rd1 :negative:

Tomato and especially Eita needed to win.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tonfa posted:

Killing off all the outsiders in Rd1 :negative:

Tomato and especially Eita needed to win.

I'll defend Liger making the second rd, but Eita really should have either Taichi or Taguchi's spot. Tomato is basically the perfect opening match jobber IMO so while I like the guy I can't complain

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

KungFu Grip posted:

Of course to no ones surprise is that Taichi's awful dirty heel gimmick is the worst thing of the tournament.

As someone who's unfamiliar with Taichi and won't have the chance to watch this tournament for a little while, could you please break down who he is and why he sucks?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thauros posted:

I'll defend Liger making the second rd, but Eita really should have either Taichi or Taguchi's spot. Tomato is basically the perfect opening match jobber IMO so while I like the guy I can't complain

It would have made the tournament feel exciting from the get go (also not 100% a Bushiroad joint). While Sydal is technically immaculate I wouldn't exactly say people are tuning in to see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i've kind of come around on the "dg got paid so whatevs" to "if you're going to do something outside of dg control (j-cup or cwc), then they don't give a gently caress and won't make a stink either way about it"

• Locked thread