Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
David Ayer hasn't made a bad movie (Sabotage owns gently caress you).

Hopefully Batman gets emasculated by Slipknot, the lynchpin of the DCCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MinibarMatchman posted:

sounds like it wouldn't have mattered, because the reason he left was due to his character not doing anything that important or fun or something to that effect. If anything it would be another dinger against the movie and reviews would just be like "they wasted Tom Hardy in this" much like people are saying the Joker or Killer Croc wasn't used enough

He left because shooting on The Revenant ran long, if I'm not mistaken. He talked about being pissed that he lost money by having to back out of Suicide Squad and that that anger helped his acting in The Revenant.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Basebf555 posted:

You're joking but Will Smith absolutely has a line where he says something like "what is this? Some kind of......SUICIDE SQUAD?!?!?!

While the line is dumb in isolation, I give it a pass because this is almost always how they get the name in comics. The official name is Task Force X, but usual a member of the #skwad or another character gives this moniker in dialog.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Young Freud posted:

WW1's important just because of the sheer loss of life and the introduction of mechanized and dehumanized warfare. However, there was really no clear villain, nothing like a faction that was built on hate, operated on suppression and oppression, and created the machinery of industrialized genocide that WW2 had. An Imperial German conscript was the same as his Anglo-American-French counterpart, pure cannon fodder by their own side. The closest you have to a bad guy are the nobility who turned their parlor game of treaties and detente into a charnel house for the poor underneath them, old nationalists stoking fires while they'll never see the enemy, or military command of both sides operating under aspirations of honor while ordering soldiers to die unceremoniously into the meatgrinder of concertina wire, land mines, and Maxim machineguns. It's why the most memorable things that come out is the universality of the common man and it's defilement and corruption by the isolated elites, jingoists, and military bureaucracy as seen in works like "All's Quiet On The Western Front", "Paths Of Glory", "Johnny Got His Gun", the poems of Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, or even recent stuff like Blackadder Goes Forth and not all the weird creepy propaganda of the Hun cutting off POWs tongues, Belgian babies on Bosche bayonets, how dying in a foreign field that will be forever England or that old lie, "Dulce et decorum est. Pro patria mori."

WW1 is a horrible time because of that. If it couldn't have been WW2, I would have rather had Paradise Island be discovered and Wonder Woman entering the world of Man around the time of Libya intervention or the beginning of Syrian civil war, you know, since Amazons have been historically from that region anyway. Have Wonder Woman have a rudest of awakenings entering Man's world.

Eh. While this is all well said, I think the WWI setting works for a couple reasons:

1. Ares is a shoe-in as a villain (not sure if he's in the movie or not) because, as you say, there's no clear villain on any side of the conflict. Having the personification of war be an instigator for - or at least take pleasure in - this senseless meat grinder gives Wonder Woman something to work with.

2. This is probably the rudest awakening she could ask for as an introduction to man's world. You have men's lives being spent like they're nothing on an unprecedented scale, all for misguided ideals of manly virtue, king and country, and the glory of battle. What's more (and I would love if the movie touches on this) you have women actively shaming and prodding men to walk into the meat grinder with things like the Order of the White Feather. It's a perfect loss of innocence story for Wonder Woman. It makes her walking away from humanity for a century believable.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tenzarin posted:

Arn't you guys glad they already made the DC movies for next year! Even before finding out they make bad movies! Yay!

Assuming it isn't meddled with, Wonder Woman looks incredibly promising to me. Suicide Squad has never been an "oh poo poo I have to see this right away" movie for me. I'll see it in theaters if my friends want to go, otherwise I'll rent it in a few months. I'm glad I saw BvS in theaters, but Man of Steel was also one I rented later on. Wonder Woman looks like it's giving me everything I want, but I don't think I have high standards for comic book movies and TV so whatever.

Franchescanado posted:

Is it a coincidence that Wonder Woman will be introduced during WW1 and Capt. America was introduced in WW2?

They almost certainly decided to go with WWI so as not to catch the "you're copying Marvel" line, even though both characters' origins are in WWII. Even so, it's a more novel setting and offers the potential for a more complex kind of story since "complicated web of alliances, chauvinism, and the mechanization of warfare" has a few more shades than "good guys vs. Nazis."

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 3, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, BvS got the same sort of weirdly specific records, and that movie barely broke even before paid merchandise.

That's not a statement of either's quality, just dont want you to set yourself up for a fall.

Batman v Superman had a record-breaking opening followed by a record-breaking dropoff on the second weekend, if I remember correctly. So yeah, who knows how this movie will do next week at this point.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Suicide Squad 2: Slipknot's Revenge

I haven't seen the movie yet but hopefully he lives :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I Before E posted:

Shane MacGowan

There's still a part of me that wants Crispin Glover.

• Locked thread