Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i'm willing to bet that line sounds really good coming out will smith's mouth, as do most of the terrible things he's been forced to say throughout his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I cannot believe this thread has failed to ask the most important questions:

How quickly does Slipknot die? Does he even get to rope anybody?

WHAT HAPPENS TO loving SLIPKNOT GOD DAMMIT?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Yeah I mean what happened because of WWI

Nothin that's what

WW1 or as my school text books call it "The Clean and Cool War"

BigglesSWE posted:

I haven't seen any of them, how much of the Holocaust does it actually show? Because knowing Snyder, he wouldn't want to be too vague. Meaning we'd see Wonder Woman a la "Schindlers List", meaning, disaster.

You realize WW1 had tons of awful inhumane poo poo that went on it right? Not to make this oppression olympics or w/e because all wars suck rear end, but WW1 has plenty of reasons for someone to give up on mankind. And as Jar Jar Fan points out, Snyder didn't direct or write WW.

Grendels Dad posted:

Could a lot of the squad's problems been solved with rope/knots?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Trump posted:

You are hilarious if you think Deadpools succes was due to the character being a "meme".

That's literally why, though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

How quickly does Slipknot die?

Dude, when u assume u make an rear end out of u & me

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The X-Men movies have the Neon Holocaust in em and nobody batted an eye.

The first X-Men movie opened with young Magneto twisting the gates at Auschwitz after being torn away from his mother.

Burkion posted:

Yeah I mean what happened because of WWI

Nothin that's what

WW1's important just because of the sheer loss of life and the introduction of mechanized and dehumanized warfare. However, there was really no clear villain, nothing like a faction that was built on hate, operated on suppression and oppression, and created the machinery of industrialized genocide that WW2 had. An Imperial German conscript was the same as his Anglo-American-French counterpart, pure cannon fodder by their own side. The closest you have to a bad guy are the nobility who turned their parlor game of treaties and detente into a charnel house for the poor underneath them, old nationalists stoking fires while they'll never see the enemy, or military command of both sides operating under aspirations of honor while ordering soldiers to die unceremoniously into the meatgrinder of concertina wire, land mines, and Maxim machineguns. It's why the most memorable things that come out is the universality of the common man and it's defilement and corruption by the isolated elites, jingoists, and military bureaucracy as seen in works like "All's Quiet On The Western Front", "Paths Of Glory", "Johnny Got His Gun", the poems of Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, or even recent stuff like Blackadder Goes Forth and not all the weird creepy propaganda of the Hun cutting off POWs tongues, Belgian babies on Bosche bayonets, how dying in a foreign field that will be forever England or that old lie, "Dulce et decorum est. Pro patria mori."

WW1 is a horrible time because of that. If it couldn't have been WW2, I would have rather had Paradise Island be discovered and Wonder Woman entering the world of Man around the time of Libya intervention or the beginning of Syrian civil war, you know, since Amazons have been historically from that region anyway. Have Wonder Woman have a rudest of awakenings entering Man's world.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dude, when u assume u make an rear end out of u & me

Holy poo poo. Best. Spoilers. Ever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hope the actors don't regret getting those SKWAD tattoos.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

I hope the actors don't regret getting those SKWAD tattoos.

Don't worry, they were henna tattoos

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Grendels Dad posted:

WHAT HAPPENS TO loving SLIPKNOT GOD DAMMIT?

Yo, this, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MacheteZombie posted:

Don't worry, they were henna tattoos

Oh, I thought they were real since there were set photos of Margot Robbie using a tattoo gun/machine thing. Lmao.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pirate Jet posted:

That's literally why, though.

The vast majority of its audience almost certainly had no exposure to any of that though.

Deadpool was a success because a lot of people found it to be actually funny. Crazy idea I know.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Oh, I thought they were real since there were set photos of Margot Robbie using a tattoo gun/machine thing. Lmao.

Yeah and with those tattoos they can get free hot dogs for life at Circle K.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Young Freud posted:

WW1's important just because of the sheer loss of life and the introduction of mechanized and dehumanized warfare. However, there was really no clear villain, nothing like a faction that was built on hate, operated on suppression and oppression, and created the machinery of industrialized genocide that WW2 had. An Imperial German conscript was the same as his Anglo-American-French counterpart, pure cannon fodder by their own side. The closest you have to a bad guy are the nobility who turned their parlor game of treaties and detente into a charnel house for the poor underneath them, old nationalists stoking fires while they'll never see the enemy, or military command of both sides operating under aspirations of honor while ordering soldiers to die unceremoniously into the meatgrinder of concertina wire, land mines, and Maxim machineguns. It's why the most memorable things that come out is the universality of the common man and it's defilement and corruption by the isolated elites, jingoists, and military bureaucracy as seen in works like "All's Quiet On The Western Front", "Paths Of Glory", "Johnny Got His Gun", the poems of Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, or even recent stuff like Blackadder Goes Forth and not all the weird creepy propaganda of the Hun cutting off POWs tongues, Belgian babies on Bosche bayonets, how dying in a foreign field that will be forever England or that old lie, "Dulce et decorum est. Pro patria mori."

WW1 is a horrible time because of that. If it couldn't have been WW2, I would have rather had Paradise Island be discovered and Wonder Woman entering the world of Man around the time of Libya intervention or the beginning of Syrian civil war, you know, since Amazons have been historically from that region anyway. Have Wonder Woman have a rudest of awakenings entering Man's world.

Eh. While this is all well said, I think the WWI setting works for a couple reasons:

1. Ares is a shoe-in as a villain (not sure if he's in the movie or not) because, as you say, there's no clear villain on any side of the conflict. Having the personification of war be an instigator for - or at least take pleasure in - this senseless meat grinder gives Wonder Woman something to work with.

2. This is probably the rudest awakening she could ask for as an introduction to man's world. You have men's lives being spent like they're nothing on an unprecedented scale, all for misguided ideals of manly virtue, king and country, and the glory of battle. What's more (and I would love if the movie touches on this) you have women actively shaming and prodding men to walk into the meat grinder with things like the Order of the White Feather. It's a perfect loss of innocence story for Wonder Woman. It makes her walking away from humanity for a century believable.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

I'm just kidding. I don't know if they got real tats or not. I assumed most of that set stuff was fake for publicity, tbh.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Yeah and with those tattoos they can get free hot dogs for life at Circle K.

Dude, hell yeah

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

K. Waste posted:

Crosspost:

Like, you'll notice that the frequent point is that "Suicide Squad is trying too hard to be an edgier version of Guardians of the Galaxy," but the basis of this criticism is literally that GotG exists at all, and implicit within it is actually a far more troubling premise where GotG is actually superior because it has no aspirations whatsoever. The film is praised highly for having a foul-mouthed alien raccoon character which it 'effortlessly' renders as indistinct and non-disturbing, for example. Like the editing, this quality is good because it doesn't arouse any particular feeling at all, but is rather reassuring about the consistency of the projected gaze with our own ideological comfort.

You see the same thing with the commodity fetishism regarding Deadpool. "Look, two comic book movies about wisecracking mercenaries! Coincidence?!" Meanwhile, David Ayer is sitting somewhere wondering if anybody has actually watched his films, or considered that he doesn't think Marvel movies are good, while he types an obscurantist tweet about a Mexican revolutionary. This is this awkward guy's feeble attempt to tell the socially-mediated world that he doesn't share the oppositional cynicism of Deadpool or the candy-striped morality of GotG, but none of this matters because the point of these lazy criticisms and appraisals is never actually that people earnestly believe that Suicide Squad is more like those films than, say, Sabotage (another underrated action film compromised by studio meddling); it's that they want all movies to share in the inoffensive mediocrity of Deadpool and GotG because it makes their jobs easier.

Of course, this premise that 'trying too hard is worse than not trying at all,' that the invisibility of the spectacle is preferable to testing the audience and risking their vitriolic rejection, forces a series of comorbid premises which adopt vague memes: Mediocrity is good, 87% of cape-man movies are "fresh" (conveniently benefiting whichever corporation just manufactures the most of them), the problem with the cinematic minority lies with the absence of "color" and trying too hard to be "edgy," etc. Meanwhile, virtually never in this discourse are particular scenes cited, shots juxtaposed, cuts analyzed, dialog deconstructed, criticism merely persists on the level of vague memetic subscription. It's almost like debating Ed Wood, "Filmmaking isn't about the little details, it's about the big picture!"

But isn't the comparison with GotG going to be inevitable when SS feels so hard like it's trying to ape that particular movie? I mean if 'what it is' is a cynical chasing of a Marvel success, then isn't it right to discuss how it stands compared to that one? People draw parallels between similar material all the time, it's literally a basic function of communication and criticism.

I actually didn't mind the movie myself (It's clearly a David Ayer movie butting heads with a WB movie), but there is still the distinct feeling that someone in charge watched GotG a few too many times and then set out to make their own one. Those thoughts are unavoidable.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

MacheteZombie posted:

You realize WW1 had tons of awful inhumane poo poo that went on it right? Not to make this oppression olympics or w/e because all wars suck rear end, but WW1 has plenty of reasons for someone to give up on mankind. And as Jar Jar Fan points out, Snyder didn't direct or write WW.

It'd be quite easy to navigate around the more horrendous imagery from WWI without being tactless.

The Holocaust is a whole different can of beans. Not gonna argue this any more, I just want to make it clear that I do NOT think the Holocaust would be a good setting for a Wonder Woman movie.

This is what life has brought me to. I have plenty of regrets.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I will offer my thoughts on the movie.

The filmmakers seemed to have misunderstood what the Suicide Squad does in the comics. In the comics, they are a black ops team that does the government's dirty work. They do the sorts of things James Bond or Mission Impossible would do, except they're a team of colorful and disposable criminals instead of volunteers. In this movie, Waller presents them as a counter-weapon to the growing metahuman threats. "What would happen if Superman decided to kidnap the President?" asks a Pentagon official. If that's the aim I wonder what's the point in hiring a guy who's just really good with guns. Only two, maybe three, of the SS are true metahumans. Only one of them, Enchantress, has powers that could counter Superman, and Waller unsurprisingly loses control of her because Waller does not understand her powers.

Harley Quinn's only asset is insanity and that makes her the equivalent of a squad of commandos who are not insane. I know that in superhero comic books this isn't too much of a stretch, but this is not what Harley Quinn was in the Bruce Timm cartoon. She was a comic relief sidekick to the Joker. Here they try to turn her into DC's version of Deadpool, but with no healing factor to compensate for her recklessness and rudeness.

I like the character of El Diablo, if only because he is the quiet and courteous one. When Diablo transforms into an Aztec fire god, it is the best scene of the movie. The character designs for El Diablo in god form and his sorcerer opponent rival the aesthetics of the Thor movies. For brief moment I felt I was watching a comic book movie.

The Joker shows up mostly in flashbacks, and these flashbacks are a lot of fun. But he also shows up midway through the Suicide Squad's mission in an attempt to rescue Harley Quinn, and the scene doesn't go anywhere. He shows up, he loses Harley, he gets shot down and disappears until he shows up again in the epilogue.

Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang are just there. I'm disappointed that Boomerang didn't get the colorful blue costume he has in the comics. They hide his blue jersey under a black trenchcoat. It feels like the DC films, like the X-Men films, are a bit embarrassed by their comic book roots and think everyone should dress in black. How they can think this when Marvel Studios happily embraces color is beyond me.

There is a quiet scene in the middle of the movie where the Squad takes a break in a bar and commiserate on their sad lives. El Diablo shines in this scene. He is a villain who is trying to atone for past mistakes - comic writers are typically terrible at these characters but it works rather well here.

Will Smith does a decent job as Deadshot. I know some fans may get pissed that a black actor is playing a traditionally white character, but Deadshot is too much of a C-lister for me to care. Smith does his best in his role and while he gets too hammy at times it's mostly good fun.

This film is better than Batman v Superman, but still not that good. It's a lukewarm effort, and I find that like BvS I dislike it the more I think about it. Captain America: Civil War by contrast gets better with repeat viewings.

An irritating scene is where Waller gives Bruce Wayne a file identifying Aquaman and the Flash in exchange for "protection". DO SECRET IDENTITIES EXIST IN THE DC MOVIES? Batman is the one superhero who absolutely needs a secret identity because his superpower is money and his weakness is freezing injunctions. Didn't they learn the lesson of BvS, with its awful Quicktime portfolio of the future Justice Leaguers?

One stupid nitpick: Harley Quinn doesn't have a toilet or even a bucket in her prison cell. Why do filmmakers keep forgetting this? It's not just a question of comfort, but hygiene. No warden wants his prisoners pissing and making GBS threads all over the floor. Prisons are stinky enough as they are.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kurzon posted:

Spoiler (barely) nitpick:

One stupid nitpick: Harley Quinn doesn't have a toilet or even a bucket in her prison cell. Why do filmmakers keep forgetting this? It's not just a question of comfort, but hygiene. No warden wants his prisoners pissing and making GBS threads all over the floor. Prisons are stinky enough as they are.

Girls don't poop.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To add to the spoiler about their purpose: it's extra silly that movie SS are supposed to be metahuman counters considering, you know, most of them are in prison because they got beat by a metahuman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The X-Men movies have the Neon Holocaust in em and nobody batted an eye.

Yeah isn't one of the first shots in Days of Future Past a bunch of emaciated corpses being bulldozed into a mass grave?

I've come to appreciate the bad taste of the X-Men movies.

Same. X-Men comics, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What are superhero comics for other than grand statements made in questionable taste? That's like, key to the success of the X-Men, as much as fetishistic otherness or incestuous soap opera stuff.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

What are superhero comics for other than grand statements made in questionable taste?

Kitty Pryde would like to have a conversation about race in America,

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

What are superhero comics for other than grand statements made in questionable taste? That's like, key to the success of the X-Men, as much as fetishistic otherness or incestuous soap opera stuff.

Growing up watching soap operas it's crazy how trashy/distasteful those can get. For good reason too: people love that poo poo. So of course the best comic books, which are straight up soap operas, ape that hard.

I wonder if soap opera writers get super jealous seeing how meme-ified the incest in Game of Thrones got.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So how's this movie in terms of portraying Joker and Harley's relationship? Is it overtly abusive or is that not really explored?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Growing up watching soap operas it's crazy how trashy/distasteful those can get. For good reason too: people love that poo poo. So of course the best comic books, which are straight up soap operas, ape that hard.

I wonder if soap opera writers get super jealous seeing how meme-ified the incest in Game of Thrones got.

That's the key, really. The main difference between GOT and Sons Of Anarchy that I could tell is that Sutter is a meddler and GRRM is a goldbrick.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

So how's this movie in terms of portraying Joker and Harley's relationship? Is it overtly abusive or is that not really explored?

I haven't seen the movie but I've seen many reviews and impressions saying this version of the Joker is genuinely interested (some go so far to say he's in love) in Harley.

Neurolimal posted:

To add to the spoiler about their purpose: it's extra silly that movie SS are supposed to be metahuman counters considering, you know, most of them are in prison because they got beat by a metahuman.

Batman is no metahuman tho

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

sean10mm posted:

The vast majority of its audience almost certainly had no exposure to any of that though.

Deadpool was a success because a lot of people found it to be actually funny. Crazy idea I know.

This, and it had a fantastic marketing campaign, not to speak of the fatigue from the squeaky-clean blockbusters we are used to these days.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

That's the key, really. The main difference between GOT and Sons Of Anarchy that I could tell is that Sutter is a meddler and GRRM is a goldbrick.

Yuuuup.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

It's kind of half baked. I mean its definitely an abusive relationship, but I felt more like Joker sees Harley as his property rather than someone he 'loves'.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Arn't you guys glad they already made the DC movies for next year! Even before finding out they make bad movies! Yay!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Kitty Pryde would like to have a conversation about race in America,

Gee, Phil,

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only acceptable post credit scene for this movie would be a Will Smith music video.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only acceptable post credit scene for this movie would be a Will Smith music video.

Uh, wickey wild wild
Wicky wicky wild
Wickey wild, wicky wicky wild wild wild west,
Dead eye, desperado, suicide squad

I quickly wrote these lyrics for you.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Define 'bad filmmaking'.

"A lack of artistic sophistication in" so on and so forth. Seems this is the case here. Don't make an argument for subjectivity. These are self-defeating 100% of the time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is it a coincidence that Wonder Woman will be introduced during WW1 and Capt. America was introduced in WW2?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tenzarin posted:

Arn't you guys glad they already made the DC movies for next year! Even before finding out they make bad movies! Yay!

Assuming it isn't meddled with, Wonder Woman looks incredibly promising to me. Suicide Squad has never been an "oh poo poo I have to see this right away" movie for me. I'll see it in theaters if my friends want to go, otherwise I'll rent it in a few months. I'm glad I saw BvS in theaters, but Man of Steel was also one I rented later on. Wonder Woman looks like it's giving me everything I want, but I don't think I have high standards for comic book movies and TV so whatever.

Franchescanado posted:

Is it a coincidence that Wonder Woman will be introduced during WW1 and Capt. America was introduced in WW2?

They almost certainly decided to go with WWI so as not to catch the "you're copying Marvel" line, even though both characters' origins are in WWII. Even so, it's a more novel setting and offers the potential for a more complex kind of story since "complicated web of alliances, chauvinism, and the mechanization of warfare" has a few more shades than "good guys vs. Nazis."

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 3, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DrVenkman posted:

But isn't the comparison with GotG going to be inevitable when SS feels so hard like it's trying to ape that particular movie? I mean if 'what it is' is a cynical chasing of a Marvel success, then isn't it right to discuss how it stands compared to that one? People draw parallels between similar material all the time, it's literally a basic function of communication and criticism.

I actually didn't mind the movie myself (It's clearly a David Ayer movie butting heads with a WB movie), but there is still the distinct feeling that someone in charge watched GotG a few too many times and then set out to make their own one. Those thoughts are unavoidable.

Thoughts being unavoidable is not the same thing as thoughts being accurate or truthful. Knowing that Marvel movies literally exist and are economically successful, and therefore that WB/DC know about this, or that test audiences are also aware of this, is not substantive of the formal or thematic similarities between popular works.

It's turtles all the way down, mate. Suicide Squad is only "like GotG-meets-Deadpool" because it's an ensemble action movie that combines high-stakes violence with levity/ironic distanciation. This is a shallow appraisal of the film that describes the generic formula governing any number of action movies running the gambit from Ghostbusters to The Expendables to Jurassic World, many of which may or may not be thematically or aesthetically related to Suicide Squad, but the particularity of which we get no closer to understanding because clarification of analysis isn't the point. The point is commodity fetishism: that the 'unavoidable thought' regarding the apparent generic similarities between GotG/Deadpool and SS actually overrides the numerous particular differences and, thus, the necessity of critical investment. Again, the point is not even that GotG/Deadpool are good, but that they possess some 'essence' consistent with other fetishistic aspects of our reality, like RT scores and box-office reports. SS is bad because it's 'trying too hard' to steal this precious essence from movies that 'earned it.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, looking at the reviews people have already posted in this thread, would I be correct in assuming Katana doesn't do much except look cool?

• Locked thread