Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In that case, I am so drat excited for Star Crash

Well, there is a clip from that movie at 32 seconds in, and when I saw it I could not have been more excited for the new episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ballz posted:

I think I'd probably give the episode a grade of a solid "B" overall. The intro definitely felt too forced/long and while I do like Tom's and Crow's new voices they do sound a lot more similar than I was expecting, which sometimes made it hard to know who was delivering the riff in the theater. The convoluted way they now control the puppets seemed to give problems with Crow and Gypsy's mouth movements in particular -- they weren't as synched/pronounced as they were in the original series.

The riffing was overall good but the faster pace may take some getting used to. The movie choice was great. Kind of a dry ho-hum movie with Dutch people that goes completely off the loving rails whenever the monster shows up

Overall I think it's a solid return with some great potential going forward. I think it should be best compared with episodes 101 and 801, and in that regard, I think it's the best episode of the three.

I agree with most of this; it definitely felt like a solid "B" for me overall. The intro overstayed it's welcome quite a bit, and personally I was hoping to get a little more time with the Mads to get used to them. I was honestly not really digging things until the movie itself went off the rails, and that first host segment really sold me on the new season.

It was definitely promising though, and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the season to see if some of the kinks get ironed out.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Ape of Naples posted:

I didn't see the episode yet (too poor to back) but I'm wondering if the fact that the show can be binged played at all into how it was shot/directed (water the right term is). Maybe they figure people will get enough of the Mads over a few episodes? I dunno. Just spitballing.

It will make a little more sense once you see it, but it just felt like the scenes with the Mads were a bit shorter than they could have been, at least compared to some of the older episodes. It made it hard for me to get a really good feel for their characters.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Avalanche made me legitimately angry. Not at MST3K, but at the movie itself.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bruteman posted:

Beast From Hollow Mountain needed the titular creature to show up for more than just the end.

I don't know if I could have handled the sheer majesty of the titular creature for much longer than we already got.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/CarvelIceCream/status/852983632968859648

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ElliottKalan/status/852887062969757696

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

HannibalBarca posted:

What contribution level was it to get your name in the credits? Just wondering; don't see mine but I don't remember what the threshold was.

Looking at the Kickstarter, the cheapest tier to get your name in the credits was at $85 unless they changed something later on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
"Are they raised cruelty free?"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Wizards of the Lost Kingdoms 2 really hurt to watch. I don't think there was a single likeable character in the entire movie.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, the first one's "hero" at least has the benefit of being the same age as the princess, as opposed to Troxartus being a creeper.

That being said, the Crabby bits are great.

I thought the first "hero" was ok. Bland and kind of dumb, but not too terribly irritating. The second kid was just miserable though. Not only was he irritating every time he had to speak, his constant "hot for teacher" gimmick was super creepy.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Both movies feature prominently a much older woman seducing a (pre?)teen boy, wtf was that about?

"Let's not think about how much creepier this would be if our genders were reversed!"

Sigh. At least we had Crabby.

At least the temptress in the first movie was actually some kind of hellish spider-creature; the second movie can't even fall back on that flimsy excuse.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Gaspy Conana posted:

The opinion that Reptilicus is weak and the season picks up after episode 2 or 3 is likely just an acclimation issue more than anything. It's like spinning a new album for the first time and then warming up to it over repeated listens. I imagine the same would be said for any episode if it were the first.

Reptilicus does have some legitimate issues though. The setup overstays its welcome, and personally I felt the movie itself made things drag until the titular monster showed up. Once you had the monster (and the monster rap) though it got much better.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Not Operator posted:

What the gently caress is with the surprise bigfoot in the literal last two minutes of the Hercules movie? I get they didn't want their hero to just murder a dude, but was this the most elegant solution they could contrive?

I'm genuinely flabbergasted.

Couldn't have been a bigfoot, he didn't have an afterlife alert medallion on him.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

rydiafan posted:

It's possible some explanation was cut from the episode. I'm assuming they still edit these movies down for MST3K, because the episodes are only 90 minutes, including skits, commercial breaks, and opening/closing credits.

Having watched Starcrash on its own prior to MST3K, I can safely say that no, there really isn't an explanation mentioned in the movie. Star Wars had a magic guy, so obviously they had to have one too.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jet Jaguar posted:

My favorite shorts are probably The Truck Farmer and A Date With Your Family. I do mention "two pints of oysters and the new vegetable" a lot while grocery shopping--it's from the short about being a homemaker and the perils of letting the husband buy groceries.

I remember that "two pints of oysters" short from Rifftrax; it was where I finally learned about products that weren't Grade A.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bicyclops posted:

There is an unwritten contract our society has all signed to simply treat all Muppets as if they are real celebrities and it's kind of amazing to be honest.

This is part of why The Muppet Christmas Carol works so well. No one questions the fact that half the cast are Muppets.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Winters Holy Hand posted:

Live tour announced. Tickets go on sale this Friday. Two shows in most cities. One previously riffed film and one secret film.

This was in the Kickstarter update about the tour:

quote:

Now, I know that some of you might rather we just get started on Season 12, but the truth is, there's nothing we can do to get started on more episodes yet. We don't have an official order for Season 12 yet, though we're very hopeful that it will come – especially if we all keep watching the new episodes on Netflix. But I promise, as soon as we hear anything about the next season, I'll be sure to tell you right away.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still confused why they made reptilicus the first movie. It's so weak compared to the next few and I turned it off the first time after 15 minutes because the riffs were so bad and so rapid fire

Cry wilderness would have been so much better of a welcome to the new mst3k

Joel's take:

quote:

Why did you go with the Danish monster movie Reptilicus right out of the gate?

Hodgson: Danes! People love Danes! I don't know, I think I picked it just because it was the most emblematic of a classic MST. It was to demonstrate how good these guys were and I wanted to get that locked in with the audience. Also, it's ultimately a nice print and the sound is nice. It's a funny environment to spend 90 minutes in.

From Jonah:

quote:

ComingSoon.net: So I saw the “Reptilicus” premiere episode and then the “Cry Wilderness” episode. When I talked to Joel he was very insistent, “I want to stress there’s a big uptick in quality from the first episode to the other ones.” And I felt it. The “Cry Wilderness” episode felt like it was stronger, faster, funnier. Can you talk a little bit about the leap from the pilot to the rest of the episodes?

Jonah Ray: Yeah, it’s funny because when we started doing the episodes, I got to this one I really wanted to dub. And I was like, “Joel, we should make this the first episode. This is such a solid episode.” Then Joel, in his shaman-like way, was like, “No, man, you gotta start them off easy, then you progressively get better and better.” And I was like, “Oh okay. I don’t know if viewers work that way anymore, that you’ve got to wow them right off the bat.” But he is wise in his comedic timing, so I do think that we did get exponentially better the more we did it. “Reptilicus” was the first one we wrote and it was the first one we recorded. So we were still trying to find our rhythm, find the voices and get used to it, and also just kind of get over the mind trip of doing it at all. It was overwhelming to just be in that position of like, “Oh, wow, we’re actually doing this. We’re actually doing this. This is crazy,” that we’re getting to make “Mystery Science Theater.” I think there is a bit of that, which I hope people find charming, the way I found early episodes of “MST” charming, but they weren’t perfect. I do think that “Cry Wilderness” is such a great movie, and there’s this Korean monster movie, “Yongary,” which is basically Godzilla with a horn on its nose. When they sent us that one, the completed episode of “Yongary,” I saw it and went, “Oh man, this should be the first episode.” But hopefully people will stick with it and enjoy it as we get better at it and everyone’s more comfortable with the positions.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/923577881950932994

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CrimsonAuthor posted:

How long does it take MST3K to respond to emails? I bought the mystery gift and it's at the bottom of my backerkit but they didn't include it in the shipment!

Not sure; I've also got the Mystery Gift addon sitting on my rewards page, but it wasn't included in any shipments so far. I emailed them on the 9th asking when those would ship, but haven't heard back from them.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

Not sure; I've also got the Mystery Gift addon sitting on my rewards page, but it wasn't included in any shipments so far. I emailed them on the 9th asking when those would ship, but haven't heard back from them.

I got a response today (from Ivan), and it's not good. The TL;DR is that they didn't realize you could add on Mystery Gifts through Backerkit until people started asking where theirs was, and thus didn't order enough of them to actually fulfill the orders. They're currently trying to figure out what they can do; they spent the most of money on Season 11 and so they can't offer cash refunds. Their options are 1) see if they can order more gifts (which if possible won't be until next Spring), 2) letting you swap out for items of equal or greater value, or 3) finding some to-be-determined alternative.

The email does close with this though: "In the meantime, we’re sorry (again) for this mixup, and we’re so grateful for your patience — we hope you enjoyed the other rewards you received, and are still enjoying Season 11. We’re hoping to have more news about Season 12 very soon, so stay tuned." (bolding mine).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
They sent out an official email to everyone who added the mystery gift (which is the same thing they sent me as a reply) so here it is:

quote:

Dearest MST3K Add-On Backer,

If you’re receiving this email, it means that you ordered the MST3K MYSTERY GIFT as an Add-On Reward when you filled out BackerKit and that it wasn’t in your recent shipment of rewards.

Ivan here. As much as it pains me to deliver bad news, this is totally our fault.

(Please don’t panic: we’re going to do our best to take good care of you. Keep reading and I’ll explain.)

WHAT HAPPENED
After the most recent rewards shipped, and a number of you contacted us about missing Mystery Gifts, we discovered that there was a setting in BackerKit that we somehow missed. As a result, you were charged for your Mystery Gift(s), but we didn’t know about your order when we coordinated reward production with the factory, and didn’t order enough units of the Mystery Gift.

WHAT THAT MEANS
Right now, we don’t have enough of the original Mystery Gift to send you the Add-On reward you’ve paid for. And, because we already spent most of your contribution making Season 11, we don’t have the money to offer you a full refund. (And even if we could, that would be pretty disappointing after all this time.) If you’re upset about this, please know that we’re just as upset, and we are going to figure out how to make it up to you.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW
We’re talking with the manufacturer of the Mystery Gift to find out if it’s possible to place another order for the additional gifts that we need. We’ll know soon, but even if we are able to do that, it could take until next spring for them to arrive and get to you — which, we know, totally sucks.

We’re also exploring a bunch of alternate options, including possible exchanges for other rewards of equal or greater value, because we don’t want anyone to be disappointed. We don’t know what’s possible yet, but we’ll do our best to get more information for you in the next week or two.

For the moment, please just know that — as disappointing as I know this might be — we haven’t forgotten about you, and we’re not going to leave you hanging. It might take some extra time, but we’ll do our best to make you happy, and to make up for the disappointment.

I’ll send you another email as soon as we have more information.

In the meantime, we’re sorry (again) for this mixup, and we’re so grateful for your patience — we hope you enjoyed the other rewards you received, and are still enjoying Season 11. We’re hoping to have more news about Season 12 very soon, so stay tuned.

Thanks for reading, and for understanding.

Sheepishly,
Ivan

business hammocks posted:

It would be a great deal if they gave you better stuff instead. The blurays cost as much as the funko thing.

I took the Blu-rays instead of the mystery gift originally, which is how I ended up in this situation. I agree though; I'm definitely curious to see what options they come up with that aren't the funko pop, since those aren't really something I collect.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 16, 2017

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Edit: double post

Anyway, what's everyone looking forward to seeing on Thursday for the marathon? If they're not going to show anything from a previous marathon, we might get to see some really deep cuts.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 16, 2017

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ballz posted:

They totally tricked me out when Joel said “are we forgetting something...?” And I thought they were gonna drop a season 12 announcement. :mad:

All the live segments so far have been kind of a nudge-nudge "wasn't season 11 so great guys?" which really feels like they're building up to an announcement. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ferret posted:

Santa's problematic toy factory

Welcome to the land of stereotypes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mangler103 posted:

YES! I totally turned it off when the ad came on. Holy poo poo!

Any details?

I'm glad I left the last set of ads run, just in case.

No details though, just announcing that there will be a season 12.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I'd buy it.

Is there some reason they can't come to Canada for the tour? It's very depressing to see them come so close but not here.

As someone who lives in Alaska, I feel your pain. Nothing ever seems to come up here, so unless I want to fly down to the lower 48 I'm hosed.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

MST3K with only with comics instead of movies apparently. Interesting idea but I'm not sure how well they'd be able to make it work.

Reminds me of when MSTing was still a thing, so I'm definitely down to give this a shot.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Early 2000s? I was MSTing Usenet posts in 1994 you whippersnapper!

And I was reading you MSTing Usenet posts, at least when they got put up on Website #9 later on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

It won't process my payment :negative:

I had to use Paypal instead because it wouldn't take my credit card directly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

rydiafan posted:

I legit want Bittersweet Hearts to be a thing.

They were for awhile. Despair.com used to sell them for Valentines (as Bittersweets), but stopped a couple of years ago.

remusclaw posted:

Any word on whether there are going to be any Jonah eps?

I would hope so, since it looks like they're trying to do a first/last thing with the hosts to help them cover 30 years of the show.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Double Agent posted:

So, just noticed that the first two episodes were Joel and the next two were Mike. Last two from Jonah, maybe?

They seem to be going for first/last appearances of people, so I wouldn't be surprised to at least see Reptilicus in the mix.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The beginnings and endings theme continues, I see.

To continue with the theme, the last episode will either be The Thing that Couldn't Die (first ep with Bobo and Brain Guy), Diabolik (last Mike episode), or Reptilicus (first Jonah episode).

Personally, I'm banking on Reptilicus. If you're trying to promote the new season, you want to show something with the new star/host/victim.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I have some serious questions about Leonard Maltin.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

HannibalBarca posted:

Extremely solid choice.

And apparently a very topical one!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
This movie is cinematic puberty.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hogama posted:

Realizing that with this episode, even without doing a Sci-Fi era episode, we manage to get Pearl's Crew and Bill Corbett on this marathon!

We finally got the whole family together for Turkey Day!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Red Hawk died for real this time and we need a place to crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well, I guess that's it. See you all again Thursday.