Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last time I wore a hat was a baseball cap I wore for a week in middle school because I got my hair cut too short and it looked dumber than the hat did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does it occur to any of these PUA people that these techniques, to the extent they work at all, probably work just as well on men?

I mean obviously it doesn't because they're irredeemably terrible but it's not like humans in general are particularly robust against psychological tricks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Talking about subjects that you aren't comfortable with is nerve-wracking even if you aren't explicitly afraid of the rejection. If you don't get practice with it during middle/high school for whatever reason, you can easily end up in a situation where asking someone out is outside your comfort zone for years past the point where everyone else is settling down. It's not hard to imagine why some percentage of those people (mostly the ones who were already terrible for other reasons) might take the attitude adopted in this thread.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think in many tribal-based cultures that still survive, marrying anybody from within your tribe is basically the same as incest--all marriage is supposed to be with someone outside the tribe. It's probably a lot easier to say you're interested in a girl when some or all of the following are true:

You went, with other men your age, on a trip to another tribe specifically to scope out potential brides
The person you need to tell is your father, or the girl's father, rather than the girl herself
There's a social expectation/obligation to get married now

This is assuming you have any say in the matter and it isn't just your father negotiating with another father over how much of a dowry he can get

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Decebal posted:

I guess, but people still fell in love and felt awkward & elated about each other. I wish we could track down when it changed from "hey, I like you " to complicated rituals and taboos

It's probably always been complicated rituals--it's not like humans invented those. Look at the courtship patterns of birds for instance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He's just not a fan of sports and likes lame jokes, that statement has pretty much no bearing on anything else

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tears In A Vial posted:

tell me more about the foods you like

Tomatoes are terrible and very restaurant has tomatoes in 90% of their dishes, it's terrible

I go out for Asian food mostly to avoid that bullshit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

Is "go out for asian food" code for "go to costco and pick up a pallet of ramen?" because in my experience that's all tomato-haters ever eat.

tomatos are amazing, versatile, and delicious. That's why they're in everything you goon.

Tomatoes are the exact opposite of delicious

Asian food is good anyways so preferring it isn't exactly a burden

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stinky_Pete posted:

Have you tried chicken tikka masala?

Yes. I can tolerate cooked tomatoes in small quantities as a background flavor (e.g., lightly sauced pasta, pizza) but raw tomatoes or tomatoes as the primary flavor are just horrid

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So far I've found that saying "Hi" in a social situation where talking to strangers is acceptable (i.e. not on the bus) is a pretty good way to talk to a girl

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
These aren't nudes. Just dick

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

I was gonna say I'd really like to know what was going through that guy's head when he said that but the answer is probably "nothing"

He probably pulled his pants around his ankles and congratulated himself on finding a loophole

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Genitals feel good but look weird how is this not universally accepted

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
She isn't morally culpable for stringing him along as long as it's unintentional. Ideally she would realize what's going on and let him down gently, at which point he would ideally give up gracefully, but not realizing what's going on isn't a sin

Of course ideally she wouldn't have to because the guy would either make his feelings clear, or, if she's not single, give up of his own accord

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well then she should stop that it's not nice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pick posted:

That's weird and sad. this thread is a pretty crazy look into the world of men. like how could you not just be able to give your friend a gift just because you appreciate him and you love him. how do men show they love each other?

I was with one of my bffs recently and we hadn't seen each other in a while so we were whippin out little gifts we'd bought for one another on a like hourly basis

Well first off you never ever use the word love to describe a male/male friendship

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pick posted:

I don't know, it just strikes me that dudes seem to have a lot of "friends" that are more like activity buddies. To me, a friend is someone who is so solidly on your team that no one is keeping score of whatever, your "stuff" is basically their stuff, their feelings are your feelings, everyone gives as they can and only takes their fair share.

You have an extremely high threshold for what counts as friendship

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

This guy should engineer a nuclear war, then the ladies will be all over his hunting and fishing skills

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm allergic to horses therefore kill all horses

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wait does the person being hot suddenly make it socially acceptable to bother them on the bus with my advances? This changes everything!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People spend a lot of effort trying to rationalize their way through the contradiction that everybody deserves sex, but nobody deserves sex with any individual person. The real solution to the problem is just that life sucks and isn't fair but, just like with conspiracy theories, some people can't accept a world where bad things happen without a reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

I'm pretty sure the "alpha" of most animal species would be just be called a straight-up violent rapist in people terms. Just because the behavior is found in nature within animal groups doesn't mean it's desirable or the best thing for the species, the best thing for a species is cohabitation and mutual cooperation.

I'm just glad humans aren't like sea lions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

it's pretty rare that someone is legit so ugly that a decent haircut and wardrobe can't at least raise them to average

If you add losing weight, then pretty much only people with legit deformities can't clean up to "moderately attractive"

• Locked thread