Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Dr. Samuel Nantell

Interview 48

Subject: Dr. Samuel Whitaker Nantell
Interviewer: [REDACTED]

[START INTERVIEW: 1100]

Interviewer: Do you have anything to say before we begin?

Dr. Nantell:
You'll forgive the weak handshake. Some of the nerve damage goes past the waist. At least I'm general practice, eh? A surgeon's career would be over with hands this shaky.

Interviewer: [chuckle] Alright, let's begin. What do you remember about the night of October 3rd, last year?

Dr. Nantell:
Haven't I already told this story a dozen times?

Interviewer: Yes, but repeated recollection of mission-related incidents can help reveal discrepancies that might result from natural or trauma-induced memory drift, dishonesty on your part, or implanted memories. Or all three. Sometimes what we think happened reveals more than the actual events do.

Dr. Nantell:
Christ, you're not saying... Alright, fine. Good to work with such trusting people. At around 6 PM, I got a call from an old college girlfriend of mine. Marie Cline. We dated for a few years, broke up right before I went to med school. Hadn't heard from her in years. Hadn't thought of her in years, to be honest. Then, out of the blue, she's calling my cell phone. She sounded bad, like she'd been crying. She wanted me to come to an address with a doctor's kit. She wouldn't tell me anything else, kept insisting that I was the only person she could trust and that she'd explain what was going on once I was there, because the phone lines "weren't safe." Then she hung up on me, or maybe the line went dead. It was hard to tell, there was a lot of hissing and crackling and clicking on the line. I thought it was a bad connection then, but now, well, I don't know.

Interviewer: Do you remember the address?

Dr. Nantell: It was some shoddy apartment in a bad end of town. Uh, something something Clayridge Boulevard. I'm sure I told you the number in one of the previous interviews, I don't remember it anymore. Don't look at me like that, it's been a year of recovering from injuries and crazy brain-scrambling bullshit treatments, not to mention all the world-shattering revelations. You go through all this and you try keeping perfect track of every last detail.

Interviewer: Don't get sidetracked. You are not being judged.

Dr. Nantell: Fine, whatever. [Subject pauses for a drink of water]

I took a taxi over. She buzzed me up to her room, I think it was room 5C. She looked even worse than she'd sounded on the phone. Dark bags under the eyes, thin and pale. Her hair was thinning and she smelled like a hospital ward. Looked like a cancer patient, to be honest. I figured it was that or drugs. Anyway, before I can really say anything, she slams the door behind me, throws something like 4 or 5 locks, then lifts up her hair and shows me the thing in her neck. Some kind of metallic implant, just under the skin. It w-[Subject coughs, twitches, closes eyes for several seconds]

Sorry, sorry. I just-- A flash of something. A man reaching for a brown wood door with a gun in his other hand. Looked like a hotel, red carpets, Room 11E. Give me a pen and paper, I need to write down the details for the interview at the Monday clinic visit. Hurry up, dammit, I lose details with every second!

[INTERVIEW PAUSED: 1113]

[INTERVIEW RESUMED: 1149]

Dr. Nantell: Alright, continue where I left off? Alright, The implant. At first I thought she might've done it to herself, some kind of mental illness thing, but it was too clean. No scarring, no tissue abnormalities, not even any signs of surgery. The best surgeon in the world couldn't have gotten something in so cleanly. She wanted me to remove it, wouldn't be specific about who put it there. She just kept insisting that "they" were dangerous and that they were after her, and that she needed to get rid of it to help get them off her trail. But like I said, I'm general practice, I'm not a surgeon. My kit is a stethoscope, tongue depressors, that kind of thing. I don't walk around with a scalpel. I'm trying to explain this to her and she's getting more and more agitated, demanding I go get a drat steak knife out of her kitchen and use that if I have to. I mean, can you imagine what that sounded like to me at the time? In those conditions? The apartment was disgusting, she'd have died from infection even if that thing wasn't attached to her spine or something else valuable.

She wouldn't let me take her to an emergency room. She said they'd find her if she left the apartment, and that she couldn't trust any other doctors to not be working with "them." Finally, I tell her that I'll go get some proper gear and come back as soon as possible. Of course, I was going to just call an ambulance. I'd have sedated her before they arrived if I had to, anything to get her to a hospital. She opens the door for me, and standing outside are two men in black suits, dark glasses and earpieces. The classic stereotype in the flesh. They had the same drat face, could've been twins. And before I can even say anything, the closer one punches me square in the face and I black right out. I had some wild college days, okay, I've been a few fights, and I've never had someone hit me so hard with so little movement. It wasn't anything more than a jab, but it felt like a freight train.

From there it's all hazy. A thousand images of things that seem to be happening all around the world, but I can't tie any of them together or figure out where I am or what's happening. I suppose that was the advent of this "anomalous cognition" thing. I woke up again a month later in a hospital bed. That punch put me in a goddamn coma. Apparently while I was out, somebody put three pistol bullets in me to try to finish the job, and one of them hit the spine. I'll never walk again. Nobody knows anything about Marie, and that apartment is supposed to have been abandoned. Everyone claimed my memory got scrambled by the blow to the head, and that I was just filling in my memories with dream images and details from my past. I knew they were full of it, because I couldn't get a straight answer as to how they thought I ended up concussed and shot in an abandoned apartment across town from my house. I brought up the flashes of imagery I was getting, and all that got me was a few inconclusive brain scans. Then the spook in black showed up, asked me a few weird questions, and then had me moved to one of your hospitals. That's how I found out about, well, all of this. Aliens and conspiracies and psychic powers and who knows what else. Any more questions, or can I go?

Interviewer: No, that will be all. Thank you for your time, Dr. Nantell. And Dr. Nantell, two last things. For one, I've been informed that you may receive a call soon with your code phrase. Be prepared. And second, here's your next batch of supplements. You should know: be careful with these. They can have highly detrimental long-term effects, and you're no good to us fried. Understand? Bring them with you to your Monday appointment at the clinic.

[INTERVIEW TERMINATED: 1215]

pre:
Name: Dr. Samuel Nantell
Profession: MKULTRA Psychic (12/3)
Concept: Crippled Medical Doctor/MKULTRA Clairvoyant

Strength: 1
Dexterity: 1
Constitution: 3
Intelligence: 3
Perception: 4
Willpower: 3

Life Points: 26
Endurance Points: 26
Speed: 8
Essence Pool: 17

Skills: 25/25
-MKULTRA Psychic (3 Point Package)

Bureaucracy +4 (4)
First Aid +3 (3)
Guns (Handguns) +2 (2)
Medicine +2 (4)
Notice +2 (1)
Research/Investigation +2 (1)
Smooth Talking +4 (4)
Systems Operation (MHIC-EDOM) +1 (1)
Surveillance +1
Trance +1 (2)

Qualities: 15/15
-MKULTRA Psychic (Anything Unmarked, 12 Point Package)

Basic ESP (0)
Influence (Civilian) 1 (1)
Influence (Paranormal) 1 
Psychic
Resources (Middle Class)
Status 1

Pulling Strings:

Experimental Psi Drugs 
Medical Support (1)
MHIC-EDOM 
Mind Control Drugs
Psi Labs
Stopping Investigation (1)

Drawbacks (11/10, not spending the extra point beyond the maximum)
-MKULTRA Psychic (Anything Unmarked, 7 Point Package)

Crippled Legs (4)
Obligation (Total)
Addiction (Psi Drugs) 4

Psychic Powers 5/5

Clairvoyance (S1, A1)

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Alright, so here's my thoughts just from glancing over it. I have 10 points from two level 1 Influences.

I could spend 5 points and pick up an Estate, which comes with a whole bunch of free useful stuff (pool, gym, 4-car garage, enough bedrooms for all of us) and has 20 Space for other facilities to be added. The downside is that we can't install an airstrip or more than 1 4-Space facility, but there's still a ton of room for all kinds of useful stuff. If we go with this one, I can spend the rest of my points on a Medical Workspace, Handguns, Rifles, Laser Sights, and Doctor's Bags.

Alternatively, I could spend all 10 of my points on an Industrial Park. 16 Space, and it comes with a free Mainframe Computer for information storage and processing. We can have up to 2 4-Space facilities and there's no forbidden facility types.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Estate because it has a greater value of free stuff (and because it leaves me some extra points to spend on supplies). On the other hand, we do have a pilot who could use an airstrip. Either way, right now I'm thinking I'll buy the facility, everybody else can handle getting the Stuff to go in said facility.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Alright, here's a tentative list of what I'm buying for us.

1. Civilian: 5/5

-Estate (5)

2. Paranormal: 5/5

-6 Cellphones (1)
-8 Scramblers (2)
-1 1-Space Workspace (Medical) (1)
-10 Laser Sights (1)

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 8, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I can literally make a phone call and have a CIA mind control laser in my hands within the day, operating our missions out of stately Wayne Manor isn't exactly a stretch.

e: That being said, I dig Dyne's list, let's just go with that.

• Locked thread