Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharona mostly took notes during magic.

Now, though, she thinks, cracking her knuckles unconsciously as she does.

"If I were in a dungeon...I'd check the architecture. That'd tell me a lot - which direction led to the surface if I was underground, how traveled the part I was in was, if I could set up a safe camp in the room, barring monsters showing up. After that, uh, probably make sure I was ready to fight?"

Crafts roll:
[12:48.04] <MorsRattus> .roll 4dF+3
[12:48.05] <skybot> MorsRattus: 6 (4dF+3=+, +, +, 0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

FP OOO Physical OO Mental OOOO Consequences Mild/Moderate/Severe

Still embarrassed by having put my foot in my mouth, I reach for the simplest answer I can think of.

"I'd light a torch, or a lantern first."

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Making mental notes of Haarthford's response, Sartre listens attentively throughout his lesson. At Ashe's question, Sartre considers the rules of dungeon exploration. There were plenty of considerations: checking for traps, using tracking techniques to see what paths monsters tend to patrol in, finding food and water in cases of longer explorations, etc. But all of these were routine, long-term actions, not necessarily immediate concerns when you end in a dungeon.

Precedent failing them, Sartre considers their classmates' responses. Torches, exits, architecture... all focused on getting your bearings. Hearing Lucia's response gives Sartre an idea. "I would check there are no monsters or unfriendly folk in the immediate area around me."

Lore: Remembering the rules of dungeon exploration: 4dF+3 0

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

"Yeah, Sharona's got the right idea. I'd make sure that all my gear and potions were ready. You can't chuck a freezing bomb into a pack of goblins if you don't have the right reagents prepped!" At this, Clara opens one side of the heavy cloak she always wears. Strapped to the inside are a number of vials and bottles, some full of brightly colored liquids. "Check!"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Ashe seemed pretty happy by the responses. "Knowing where you are and your surroundings are important. But Clara's idea about being prepared is also important. So here's the deal. In a dungeon you often find yourself needing to react in a moment, with many important things to do and not enough time to do them all. When you're working with others, the key is to know what you are going to do, and what the others will do, to make sure you don't get injured, caught by surprise or stranded." She gestured to the group in front of her and spoke again. "So consider you stepped into a dungeon right now, and the six of you are a group. What do you think needs doing and what would each of you do to help the group?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Aspects: None | FP: OOO | Physical: OOO | Mental: OOO | Consequences: Mild/Moderate/Severe

Rin bites her lip in thought. In honesty, her practical skills are a mile wide and a foot deep at the moment, so she'd mostly thought of herself as helping out than having a specific roll herself. But then she thinks of a couple things.

"Well, we'd need someone to keep track of our supplies and where we've been right? I could make a map and track supplies, and hold onto a lantern if we needed light."

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

For once, a fairly simple question. If there was one thing Sartre knew better than anything else, it was what they were good at.

"I could scout around to figure out what paths we could take. My memory's good so I could keep track of which is which, plus I'm built tough so if it turns out there's monsters or a trap, I probably have the best chance of making it back to the group."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Clara flaps her cloak, from which emanates muffled clinks. "I'd make some healing potions and...bombs" At that last word her eyes glaze over a bit...

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"We're supposed to be already in the dungeon in this example though. We should already have our potions and bombs ready. I could send Rennie to scout with Sartre, and he could hurry back to the rest of the group if Sartre needed sudden assistance. Meanwhile I guess I'd want to stay together with everyone else and try not to let anyone get separated, and if a fight did break out with some monsters, well, I'd support everyone as best I could with my witchery."

I'm a little bit put off by the way the other girl--orange-mouth, what was her name--Clara? seemed to be so distracted by the thought of bombs. That didn't seem to bode well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Well, we're all together in the dungeon, right? And all working together? I'd stand watch and be ready to start reciting if I had to."

Sharona cracks her knuckles.

"I mean, I don't sleep a lot anyway, and...well, I've got all this muscle. I might as well be the one there when things start getting rough."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"I would cast my holy light to help illuminate the path, staying in the front and always facing evil head-on!"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"So far, you have thought of keeping watch, scouting and knowing where you are going, and illuminating the path forward. These are good ideas, but there are more things each of you can do that you will learn in time. If you work with other people, one of the important things is that you learn each other's strengths and weaknesses so you can help each other by covering for them." Ashe said looking to the group and thinking for a moment. "So, consider you know, or suspect, that there are monsters, creatures or people that will attack you within the place you are exploring. Say, there is a corridor and there is a door at the end of it. Beyond that door are three goblins that will attack anyone that isn't a goblin that comes close. What do you as a group do? Where is everyone when you do it?"

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 21, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharona grins.

"I'm in front! No offense, but the rest of you don't really look like you could take a hit that well. I, on the other hand..." She flexes one arm, grinning wider.

"And I'd be coming up with a good insult and winding up for when we open the door."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aspects: None | FP: OOO | Physical: OOO | Mental: OOO | Consequences: Mild/Moderate/Severe

Rin looks a bit startled by Sharona's forcefulness, then nods in agreement. "You're right, you'd be good at that! And someone needs to take point."

She turns to face everyone. "I think we should try and come up with a list of all the things that we need someone doing, and then figure out who'd do them best!"

Rin flips a page in her notebook and starts the list. "We need someone on point - that's Sharona! Uhm, we also need someone to... be the one to open the door? And someone to watch our backs?" She looks around. "What else?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"I'm not very good at fighting or physical stuff, so I'd probably be best in the middle," I suggest, "where I can use magic to help everyone else."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"Sometimes its things you do for your companions, like keep a track of where they are and let others know if they need aid, that can be important as well." Ashe suggests.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"I'd be good either on the front lines or watching the back."

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

"I would probably do best up front or back, depending on if we end up surrounded or not. Again, pretty tough-" Sartre only briefly, but pointedly glances at Sharona, "so I can definitely roll with the punches or stabbings or whatever the goblins are using. Plus I'm pretty okay at punching things." The hours Guldor made them spend wrangling owlbears pups were not for nothing.

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 26, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharona looks ab it surprised at this.

"...really? I always figured golems were fragile. I mean, you're like a wooden statue that's also a person, right? But if you break, you need to be fixed, like a statue, rather than just healing, right?"

Sharona was raised by dwarves. She learned to respect craft and artifice...but learning how to make things also taught how how fragile they can be when it doesn't seem like they would be.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Sartre scratches their head at this, making a soft scraping noise. "To be honest, I don't really know much about how people make golems out in the world but my dad ... tended to complain about the level of craftsmanship a lot. He's kind of a perfectionist." Sartre decided against reciting Guldor's rants about peddlers gouging people with golems "salvaged- -if you can call it that- from Dwarven dumpsters. Bunch of no good dragon-sweat selling hucksters that wouldn't know good craft if it rammed them up the -"

"But for me at least I was made for hard labor, lugging around logs, building houses, mass harvesting, etc. Can't exactly do that if you crumble under a little pressure. The literal, physical kind, not the abstract thing." Sartre knocks against their chest for effect, producing a solid thunk. "Petrified wood's about as hard as stone anyway."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Sorry about the delay, I was giving people a few days to respond and then I got tired. I will move the game along now since we seem to have exhausted the lessons for now.

"It's fine to not have an answer or know for now. After all you're here to learn. You've been having some good thoughts so far, and it takes time and experience to work out who is doing what."

Ashe's lessons were about entering a dungeon, taking note of where you were and what kind of dangers you might be dealing with. Looking around you and then reacting to what was coming. Sometimes adventurers would step into a dungeon to immediately face a trap or ambush, but such events were uncommon. Even if one was not walking into immediate danger, it was a good idea to be prepared for it. Each room, corridor, cave or chamber had the potential for a new danger, and the party needed to be prepared at the threshold for that danger.

At the end of the week, the morning of the sixth day you were lead outside again. Instead of the fields however, a different sight awaited the group...

Instead of the field lay a recessed area. There were six open chambers without roofs set into the ground, with iron-wrought figures that seemed to be filled with anticipation. Two of the figures had staves, while the others did not. One had a collection of items strapped to the metal figure, and another seemed to be slim and lithe compared to the others. In the centre was another chamber, with a simple pedestal and a token on it that was difficult to discern at this distance and through the three shimmering barriers that blocked entry from the outer chambers. The six outer chambers additionally connected to the adjacent two allowing travel between each of them, as well as one entrance from the outside.

Mervahn was waiting for the group, while Ashe waited to the side observing.

"Now is the test. Each of the Tomata that I had fashioned will use magic in a specific way, and will cast it on a set timer when you enter the chamber. You must discern the method the Tomata uses magic and then disable it before it can act, to proceed. Disable enough of them and you will be able to enter the chamber and claim the victory token."

He looked over the group and considered things for a moment, tugging at his beard before continuing.

"You may enter alone, in pairs or however the group wishes. The intent is that you should work together to solve the whole puzzle, so I would ask that you do not simply wait for another member to solve everything for you."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Frowning in thought, I look around. "So...let's go in in a group, like we talked about in class, right everyone? We can all go together and solve the problems as a team that way."

Rennie paces back and forth in front of me. He's eager to get moving.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Yeah!" Rin agrees with Tabetha enthusiastically. "We should stick together. We're stronger as a team."

She looks over the chambers. "Why don;'t we start with that one?" She indicates the figure with all the gear strapped to him. "I bet he's an alchemist or artificer of some kind. I can't really tell with the others, but we can guess a bit about how that one will work."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Getting closer you can notice the following pieces of interest on the various figures. Otherwise they were uniform in every respect:

A - Staff and robes
B - Book and robes
C - Staff and vines
D - Instrument and tunic
E - Pouch and vials
F - Headband with crystals inlaid

If you have questions or want to know anything please ask! I wanted to give people time to respond but I'm worried people are losing momentum or interest.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FP OOX Physical: OOOO Mental: OOO

"Gear, huh? I know how to handle that..."

Sharona grins, cracking her knuckles. "Be ready to back me up if it turns out to be trickier than we thought, but...can't do anything with objects if you can't move!"

She charges towards the artificier-tomata, bellowing a dwarvish war cry. It translates roughly as 'YOU CAN'T HANDLE THIS'.

Then she just lunges for the tomata in Chamber E, trying to wrap her arms around it and lift it up bodily in a crushing bear hug.

Physique: [08:25.57] <skybot> MorsRattus: 2 (4dF+3=-, +, -, 0)

Spending an FP to invoke Adopted Ogre and push that up to 4.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

As Sharona rushes into the chamber, a circle set into the ground lights up as she crosses over it. As the circle lights up, the Tomata springs to life and begins to pull something out of its pouch. Sharona is already in motion and lunging as it begins to move its arm to throw the vial in its hand. Time slows down for a second for Sharona, will she grab the construct in time before it can let go of its payload?

Give me an athletics check, difficulty will be Good [+2]; on a fail the Tomata will be able to unleash its explosive vial. Sharona will be able to hold on to it, but will be knocked to the edge of the chamber on a fail.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FP OOX Physical: OOOO Mental: OOO

[11:39.34] <skybot> MorsRattus: 2 (4dF+2=+, -, 0, 0)

Sharona is a full-blooded ogre raised as a full-blooded dwarf. Dwarves aren't slow to begin with - they're quick to take action, quicker to brag in triumph. Ogres aren't slow, either - while they're large, they are not ungainly, and their long limbs and powerful builds make them fearsome to have to deal with. As the tomata reaches for its vial, Sharona locks its arm in place with one of her own. Her bear hug raises the machine up as she lets out her war cry, holding it fast and keeping it from being able to so much as grab the vial, let alone throw it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rin's a bit taken aback by Sharona charging in, but rolls with. "Good going Sharona! Hold it still and I'll strip it of its stuff so it can't hurt us!"

She looks at the others. "Anyone got something that could help with that? Anything that would make me quicker or more, um, nimble fingered."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 16, 2016

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

"ooh I've got something! It needed to be tested anyhow..." Clara starts rummaging inside her bag, and the gentle clinks of glassware tapping each other can be heard. Her arm goes in beyond her elbow at one point, and a look of triumph crosses her face. "Excelsior! I knew putting it in a shaped bottle would be handy!" In her hand is a bottle. "This is a spray of Cat's Grace. Put this on your hands and you'll have nimble fingers a pianist would kill for!" She looks down for a second, "...that is, if you want to use it...just let me know and I'll add the catalyst."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"Oh! Oh! I'll help too! I'll cast a good luck jinx on you, too!" Eager to show off my talents, I don't even wait for a reply before casting the spell.

[00:09] <MollyMetroid> .roll 4dF+4
[00:09] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 3 (4dF+4=-, +, -, 0)

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 16, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rin accepts the potion with a "thank you!" She sprays it on her wrists and sniffs it, like perfume. It smells of cinnamon and catnip. She shrugs and sprays more on her hands, then claps them together eagerly.

When Tabetha casts her spell, she hops up and down in place. "That's the spirit Tabetha! I feel luckier already!"

She gives Tabetha and Clara a v-for-victory and a wink, enhanced with a sparkly magic star that pops up next to her head, the runs in after Sharona. The elf ducks around the war poet, deftly snatching vials and pouches and bottles. She steps away, hands well full, and sets the down in a neat pile, out of the Tomata's reach

Then she notices the thick yellow fur that's appeared on her hands. "Eeeeeh?!" Rin's dismay is clearly written on her face, as she holds her hands up in front of her.

Burglary!
23:47 <skybot> Gorbash: 1 (4dF+2=0, 0, 0, -)
Clara's stunt gives me +2, I'll invoke Good Luck Jinx for another +2, for a total of +5.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"What--was that supposed to happen? I don't think that's supposed to happen..."

I glance at Clara suspiciously.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Rin handily removes the bag and vials from the Tomata, which fidgets in Sharona's mighty grasp. Once everything is removed, the circle of light winks out and the construct stops moving. At the same time one of the barriers of light in the center chamber fades, and Mervahn claps.

"Good. That's one of the enemy dealt with, but there are still more. Pick another chamber and move on, you need to disable two more to pass the test!"

The wizard made no comment about Rin's new fur gloves however.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

"...less cat hair next time." With that Clara snaps her little notebook shut. Taking a look at Rin's hands, she nods sagely, "We can just shave them!" A glint appears in her eyes, "...or I could whip up a depilatory..."

FP=2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I step forward and point my blade towards Chamber F.

"We should go for that one next. It looks like it has the least opportunity to cause us harm. I'll go first."

I follow my blade and close my eyes, blocking out the world to grab for the headband.

Athletics: <skybot> Waffleman: 2 (4dF+2=0, 0, 0, 0)

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Lucia makes her way into the next chamber, running at the Tomata. The circle lights up as she crosses it and the crystals in the head band of the manikin begin to glow. It begins to lift its hand and Lucia feels a hum and throb of power around her. For a moment it seems as though the ground and sky themselves were trying to swap.

Will check of a challenge rating: Good (2) please. Failure will result in Lucia being thrown out of the circle telekinetically, success will let her grab the head band.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

<skybot> Waffleman: 2 (4dF+3=-, 0, -, +)

"JUSTIA, GIVE ME STRENGTH!"

I grit my teeth and work through the force to approach the Tomata and pluck the headband from its head.

"Hey guys! I got it!"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Sorry for the delay, I've been a bit sick the last few days.

The Tomata begins to move its arms, and Lucia can feel the air around her slowly begin to thrum again. The build up is much slower and feels weaker this time however.

You and the group have a short time to react.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Sartre recognizes the Tomata's hand motions from a spellbook back in Guldor's library. Thinking quick, they shout, "Lucia, it's casting a Lasrever spell! It's supposed to make things opposite, turns up into down, left into right, that sort of thing! Use that against it!"

Spending an FP to use my stunt I Know This One!, to give Lucia the advantage "Opposite Day," the Tomata needs to roll +3 to remove it.
FP: 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rin is still wringing her now furry hands, but hurries over to help as best she can. "Nice going Lucia!" She looks around, then tries to snap her fingers, fails, and takes a second to look sad before exclaiming, "We need to bind its arms! Or something. It's using a somatic component to this power! It's weaker since Lucia took its psi focus, but it's not out of the fight yet!"

Used Idol Facts to auto-succeed on Lore and create the advantage Forewarned is Fore-armed with two invokes.

• Locked thread