Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
OOC Thread

<Cast to go here>

<Description of School facilities and local area to go here>

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The First Week
Season: Late Summer
Current Scene: Dining Hall

The sun rose serenely over the school. Whether people had arrived the day before, or had come from further afield and had arrived earlier, today was the day that you began lessons. While the school had two classrooms, Ashe had decided to hold the first session outside to enjoy the pleasant weather. Breakfast was a good chance to get to know your other students and teachers a little better before the classes began. Well one of them at least, Mervahn had not come down from his tower yet and so you were left to dine with Ashe in the morning. The dining room looked like it could fit another five tables comfortably, but for the time being was made to feel less empty by a number of mysterious crates and piles covered by sheets.

Ashe was not wearing her customary armor this morning, instead dressing in a simple but comfortable looking leather vest, practical working pants and a pair of fine leather boots. She was eating a mix of fruit and bread, which had been brought in by the serving staff along with your own food. The serving staff today was a young boy by the name of Edward who apparently worked for a farm nearby. He was old enough to be annoying and underfoot to his family, but not quite old enough to be working in the fields or apprenticed off to a trade. While he was excited by all the new people and by Ashe, his masters, a kind couple by the names of Harold and Giselle kept him on a short leash. While Ashe had clearly chosen a simple breakfast, all students had been assured that they could be cooked for and that arrangements for approximations of their native cuisines could be organised if given enough warning.

Your classes today were in order: An Introduction to Magic in the morning, and the Basics of Dungeon Ecology in the afternoon. These would continue for the week, after which a new pair of lessons would be taught. Ashe and Mervahn would be present in each and take a share of the teaching, although it seemed clear that there would be more input when there was an area of specialty. Magic obviously would prominently feature Mervahn. Perhaps this was the source of a slight annoyance with Ashe that her companion had not seen fit to be present for the meal this morning.

I'll add in a few details and characters to the opening post to make it easier for everyone (including myself) to track. For now I'll let people introduce and mingle a bit before we go into lessons, which will be done as a montage across a week.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 25, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Ashe smiles a little and says gently; "We cannot teach everything at once. Both Mervahn and I discussed at length what sort of classes we should teach and at what points. He will be teaching the magic class of course, but I can tell you that it is not about teaching you all how to use magic but instead about magic itself. Even if you don't use magic yourself, your companions will and it is good to know the limits to their abilities. Many people in this world use magic for ill deeds, and there are beasts and other beings that can use it as well. Basic knowledge of magic saves lives." It sounded like a speech she had given a few times. There wasn't the cadence and familiarity in the words that would betray an oft spoken adage, but Ashe was speaking confidently and without pausing to chose words. It was something she had said before.

A minute or so after Ashe had spoken, Mervahn walked in one of the doors. His eyes were a little red and the black shadows under his eyes told a story of a night without enough sleep. He asked for a similar breakfast to Sharona, although notably his fruit was fermented and came in a cup instead of on a plate. His companion gave him a look with a flicker of annoyance, but nothing was said and she continued to eat and listen to the conversation.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Mervahn paused in the middle of eating his breakfast, swallowed his food loudly and hastily and answered; "I will be creating tailored dungeons to each lesson. Although you may be disappointed to find that the early ones are rather mundane in their creation. As for why, you will all be finding that out soon enough." He took a swig of his ale and drank loudly, contrasting to the slower and more polite manner in which Ashe ate her meal.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

「 お茶を注ぐしてください。湯のみは空で、天気は寒い外です 」Mervahn replies in fluent Elven without raising his eyes from his breakfast. Ashe snorts at him showing off.

"Don't let it bother you Tabetha, it was very clear from the way that you said it that you did not understand what it actually meant and also that you did not mean what you were saying."

Ashe tried to be calming and sympathetic to the upset young woman sitting near to her.

Please pour the tea, my cup is empty and the weather is cold. Probably not perfectly idiomatic but I don't have my dictionary and Japanese IME installed at work so I had to finagle with Google Translate.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Ashe and Mervahn exchanged a glance at each other as the rest of the scene unfolded. They waited until Mervahn had finished his current mouthful and for a pause in the conversation.

We'll be outside today Lucia, there won't be any chairs. Not unless you bring one with you I suppose.
This isn't a grand library or academy, with six students you won't have to compete to get a clear view and hear the lesson.
Exactly. And you can ask as many questions as you want.
While we're adults, or nearly adults, and we don't want to treat you like children...
Make sure you use your own magic or talents responsibly.
There isn't a rule, but blowing up or bewitching a companion isn't going to build trust or help you in the thick of danger.

Mervahn paused and looked at Clara.

I take it that's your own concoction?
I don't remember us ordering anything to whiten or clean teeth...
I can assure you that we did not.
The apothecary is me, as long as I can find my books, or there's one in town.
But I'm afraid you don't have time to go there before we start.
If orange teeth really bother you come with me after we finish eating and I'll get you sorted out somehow.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 30, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Mervahn nodded and shoveled more food into his mouth, which ruined any series mentorship he might be trying to project at that moment. He took Clara off to his tower, which was connected to the main building by a hallway. The bottom floor seemed like a well furnished guest room, and he asked her to remain there for a moment while he gathered his materials for the lesson. After returning from the upper floors, he came over to Clara and asked her to smile. As she did he muttered something in dwarven and clicked his fingers.

"All done." He said and carried a book with him as well as some chalk and other odds and ends. Beckoning to Clara they headed out to the field where the rest of the class had gathered.

"Okay, so the number one rule about magic is that it is not free. It costs effort or energy to do any sort of magic."

Mervahn made a square shape with his fingers and expanded it out, then after saying a small limerick about indelible darkness summoned a chalkboard. He took a breath and then continued speaking;

"Now it would have taken me as much effort to carry this chalk board down from my tower."

He looked to the class and paused for a second.

"So, anyone have any questions or thoughts about this so far?"

If people have relevant skills they want to roll to get some insight about this feel free to roll.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"That depends on a lot of things. For example, for a weak man carrying a large boulder is difficult or impossible as he lacks the strength to carry. He can do this with magic, but will feel as tired as if he had carried it by hand. Magic is another muscle that has its own strength, yet takes energy. When it comes to physical tasks, the amount of effort is similar even though the muscle is different. For tasks not possible by men and women of dwarf-like form, such as humans or elves, there is still a cost but it is not the same. There is a lot of nuance to it, and sharing the cost with others helps greatly, but this is but a simple lesson to introduce the concept." Mervahn replied to the tomata's question, but smiled and seemed pleased by the insight behind it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Mervahn shook his head slightly. "The answer is complicated, but the simple answer is yes but not because of its limitations or special requirements. The reason with bardic magic you bind it into a song, so the cost of it is split into a physical cost as well. A Druid shares the cost with nature spirits, or in a pinch their own innate connection to the Nature itself. Where there is a way to ameliorate the cost, through a shared burden, something else paying the cost, an implement or some other structure it is easier for the caster to do. That is why what I did was so much more taxing, because I did it only with my own raw power and I had no kind of tool or structure."

The dwarf wizard drew a couple of magic forms on the board: a magic circle, an equation, an incantation, an alchemical recipe and a prayer.

"Quick question. Which of these is similar to which others, and for what reasons? If you don't know that's fine, this question is a little more advanced than the scope of this lesson but it will be good to get all of you thinking about it."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"That's correct. That's not the whole answer, they are actually all linked in a way, but I will cover that in another lesson." Mervahn said nodding with approval.

The rest of the lessons that week concerned mostly the idea that if you could either separate a spellcaster from their implement or prevent them from using gestures or sound, then casting became difficult for them. For many spellcasters that had only figured out a few spells, usually lethal, on their own then you might even shut them down completely. It could save the lives of an adventurer and their companions in a pinch.

Next it was time for Ashe's lessons.

"Let's start it simple." She said to the group of students. Unlike Mervahn she had no tools or aids with her to teach. "If you were in a dungeon, right now, what is the most important thing you'd do first?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Ashe seemed pretty happy by the responses. "Knowing where you are and your surroundings are important. But Clara's idea about being prepared is also important. So here's the deal. In a dungeon you often find yourself needing to react in a moment, with many important things to do and not enough time to do them all. When you're working with others, the key is to know what you are going to do, and what the others will do, to make sure you don't get injured, caught by surprise or stranded." She gestured to the group in front of her and spoke again. "So consider you stepped into a dungeon right now, and the six of you are a group. What do you think needs doing and what would each of you do to help the group?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"So far, you have thought of keeping watch, scouting and knowing where you are going, and illuminating the path forward. These are good ideas, but there are more things each of you can do that you will learn in time. If you work with other people, one of the important things is that you learn each other's strengths and weaknesses so you can help each other by covering for them." Ashe said looking to the group and thinking for a moment. "So, consider you know, or suspect, that there are monsters, creatures or people that will attack you within the place you are exploring. Say, there is a corridor and there is a door at the end of it. Beyond that door are three goblins that will attack anyone that isn't a goblin that comes close. What do you as a group do? Where is everyone when you do it?"

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 21, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"Sometimes its things you do for your companions, like keep a track of where they are and let others know if they need aid, that can be important as well." Ashe suggests.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Sorry about the delay, I was giving people a few days to respond and then I got tired. I will move the game along now since we seem to have exhausted the lessons for now.

"It's fine to not have an answer or know for now. After all you're here to learn. You've been having some good thoughts so far, and it takes time and experience to work out who is doing what."

Ashe's lessons were about entering a dungeon, taking note of where you were and what kind of dangers you might be dealing with. Looking around you and then reacting to what was coming. Sometimes adventurers would step into a dungeon to immediately face a trap or ambush, but such events were uncommon. Even if one was not walking into immediate danger, it was a good idea to be prepared for it. Each room, corridor, cave or chamber had the potential for a new danger, and the party needed to be prepared at the threshold for that danger.

At the end of the week, the morning of the sixth day you were lead outside again. Instead of the fields however, a different sight awaited the group...

Instead of the field lay a recessed area. There were six open chambers without roofs set into the ground, with iron-wrought figures that seemed to be filled with anticipation. Two of the figures had staves, while the others did not. One had a collection of items strapped to the metal figure, and another seemed to be slim and lithe compared to the others. In the centre was another chamber, with a simple pedestal and a token on it that was difficult to discern at this distance and through the three shimmering barriers that blocked entry from the outer chambers. The six outer chambers additionally connected to the adjacent two allowing travel between each of them, as well as one entrance from the outside.

Mervahn was waiting for the group, while Ashe waited to the side observing.

"Now is the test. Each of the Tomata that I had fashioned will use magic in a specific way, and will cast it on a set timer when you enter the chamber. You must discern the method the Tomata uses magic and then disable it before it can act, to proceed. Disable enough of them and you will be able to enter the chamber and claim the victory token."

He looked over the group and considered things for a moment, tugging at his beard before continuing.

"You may enter alone, in pairs or however the group wishes. The intent is that you should work together to solve the whole puzzle, so I would ask that you do not simply wait for another member to solve everything for you."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Getting closer you can notice the following pieces of interest on the various figures. Otherwise they were uniform in every respect:

A - Staff and robes
B - Book and robes
C - Staff and vines
D - Instrument and tunic
E - Pouch and vials
F - Headband with crystals inlaid

If you have questions or want to know anything please ask! I wanted to give people time to respond but I'm worried people are losing momentum or interest.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

As Sharona rushes into the chamber, a circle set into the ground lights up as she crosses over it. As the circle lights up, the Tomata springs to life and begins to pull something out of its pouch. Sharona is already in motion and lunging as it begins to move its arm to throw the vial in its hand. Time slows down for a second for Sharona, will she grab the construct in time before it can let go of its payload?

Give me an athletics check, difficulty will be Good [+2]; on a fail the Tomata will be able to unleash its explosive vial. Sharona will be able to hold on to it, but will be knocked to the edge of the chamber on a fail.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Rin handily removes the bag and vials from the Tomata, which fidgets in Sharona's mighty grasp. Once everything is removed, the circle of light winks out and the construct stops moving. At the same time one of the barriers of light in the center chamber fades, and Mervahn claps.

"Good. That's one of the enemy dealt with, but there are still more. Pick another chamber and move on, you need to disable two more to pass the test!"

The wizard made no comment about Rin's new fur gloves however.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Lucia makes her way into the next chamber, running at the Tomata. The circle lights up as she crosses it and the crystals in the head band of the manikin begin to glow. It begins to lift its hand and Lucia feels a hum and throb of power around her. For a moment it seems as though the ground and sky themselves were trying to swap.

Will check of a challenge rating: Good (2) please. Failure will result in Lucia being thrown out of the circle telekinetically, success will let her grab the head band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Sorry for the delay, I've been a bit sick the last few days.

The Tomata begins to move its arms, and Lucia can feel the air around her slowly begin to thrum again. The build up is much slower and feels weaker this time however.

You and the group have a short time to react.

• Locked thread