Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Banpresto looked at the plugsuits and went "yeah, that's good and all, but what if they were even MORE blatantly latex fetish outfits?"

At least it's equal-opportunity fanservice. Sorta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ardeem posted:

Had FFX happened yet when this game was made? Hugo could compete with Lulu with the number of belts on his jacket.

FFX was roughly three years past when MX released. July 2001 versus May 2004.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

S.D. posted:

I think the reason is 'because the pilot isn't a Newtype'. Newtypes use their special space-evolved brains to remotely direct funnels (and getting around the whole 'Minovsky particles block off all forms of radio transmission' thing that's in UC Gundam), so non-Newtype-based machines need a wire system to guide their funnels and funnel-like weapons back to the robot. See also: the MP Nu Gundam that Corbray gets in Alpha 3.

This is in fact actually the reason. Only Newtypes and machines with independent programming get to be off the wires. For manually controlled bits, you have to have the wires. For proof, note that any Gundam mech with wired bits don't require Newtype for them.

This applies to OGs, as well.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

thetruegentleman posted:

Probably meant to be Auslöse then, so: "LCL filling in. Starting movement. Starting the NERV terminal. Linking the plug suit. Releasing from the left clothes." Needless to say, still makes no drat sense. That's because the full thing is supposed to be:

"LCL Einlass. Anfang der Bewegung, bestätigt. Anfang des Nervenanschlusses, bestätigt. Anfang nächster die Herzmonitor, bestätigt. Synchro-start, nun!"

("Input LCL. Start sequence: nerve connection, confirmed; heart monitor, confirmed. Start synchronisation!")

Yeah, was kinda off (and the German and English are probably off as well, honestly) but...almost close enough, I guess?

It's Banpresto and anime in general so I suppose we should be grateful it's not complete gibberish.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Rabidredneck posted:

It was only a couple years ago I finally got to see the original Getter Robo series, and it was as good as I've heard. The first exposure I ever had to the Getter series was the typically americanized version of Getter Robo G called Starvengers as a little kid. I remember thinking it was the coolest show ever on Saturday mornings, but when I finally got a chance to watch the Original Getter Robo G I realized how messed up the Starvengers version was. I think the only other anime series that was even more screwed over was Mazinger Z's translation into Tranzor Z, though that's an entirely different rant.

One thing that did sort of suprise me was that I didn't enjoy Getter G quite as much as the original Getter Robo. The animation quality was certainly higher, but it just felt like something was missing. To me it just didn't have the same kick that the original series did.

Grandpappy Tetsujin 28, or GIGANTOR, would like to have a word with you.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Alacron posted:

So... I'm guessing that I'm supposed to be confused as hell with all this Rahxephon plot stuff at the moment, and it will make more sense later?

Yeah. RahXephon's opening plot intentionally makes poo poo all sense in the beginning.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

After reading the 2nd OGs translation I'm surprised Aqua is already right the gently caress on Hugo and his many, many health problems in the original.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brunom1 posted:

Devil Saturn - and the Gyandolar in general - are not from Dendoh, mind.

What ARE they from, anyway?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brunom1 posted:

Though if we're talking about most characters voiced in a single game, I'm all but sure Akira Kamiya takes it due to Alpha 3: Ryouma, Sanshiro, Kazuya, Fokker and Akira.

Limiting to OG characters, the answer isn't even up to debate: Okiayu's had the most roles (to the point that I think Terada's got him on speed-dial, right next to Midorikawa).

Who did Okiayu voice, again? I'm dreading the length of the answer but I need to know.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

You get a bunch of them in the OG games too, but I'm not terribly sure they count.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

heavybassX posted:

The fact that Haken from Endless Frontier showed up in Moon Dwellers plus there is references to Reiji and Xiaomu in said game has convinced me that they are going to show up in specially designed mechs that allow them to use their various guns and swords.

I can't say that they'll make an appearance in OGs, personally; the Gespenst Haken was a special concession because of Haken and Aschen's very explicit tie to the Shadow Mirrors (and because it was an actual plot point from Endless Frontier) . It would be an incredibly difficult sell for Reiji and Xiaomu to suddenly have twenty-meter tall robots custom-built for them.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AradoBalanga posted:

Plus, Reiji and Xiamou are almost certainly covered by the Namco x Capcom license. So, in order to use them in anything would require the SRW staff to walk to another floor of the building to discuss licensing particulars with the Namco x Capcom/Project X Zone people. Whereas with Haken and Aschen, those two are straight-up Banpresto Originals and don't require the SRW staff to do the Featured Series Licensing TangoTM to use them in projects.

I imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult to convince them, at the very least. That's only one of the inherent problems with the idea, though.

Brunom1 posted:

I'm at least expecting Suzuka to come over - she has her own bot (which looks sooo cool) and could join Latooni and Shine's Idol band.

Now I'm just imagining how ludicrously complex controlling a twenty-meter robot with puppet strings would be.

Materant fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 4, 2016

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

heavybassX posted:

I know Heero Yuy's VA loves Super Robot Wars and when he gets asked to do it and can record new lines for free.

Z2 is an example of how much development he got in said game.

There are a number of people who deeply love the series that actively contribute on their own but Midorikawa is easily the one that stands out.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just invent Shin Grendizer to go with Shin Mazinger.

Keep hoping like that and maybe one day we'll get Shin Great Mazinger.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GilliamYaeger posted:

Instead of almost causing another apocalypse at the end of the film, Shinji accidentally opens a hole to the Z3.2verse and all the Evas go through.

So they basically just skipped the whole thing. We don't even get the Wunder.

A quick reminder that 3.0 is going to be in V, but without any plot. I don't think Banpresto's going to even try until 4.0 is released they know where the creator is actually going with this poo poo, since 3.0 goes off the rails from the shows in a convoluted and completely batshit way you have to build around.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Never underestimate the lengths a villain will go to just to be a dickhole even if it's a complete waste of time. It's not even the first time this trick has been used! In the old Mazinger Z manga Count Brocken has a mechabeast which is covered in embedded glass chambers, which he proceeds to fill with women (that he's stripped naked for some reason possibly involving Nagai's love of titties) so there's not a single point on his mechabeast that can be be attacked without killing someone. I believe they actually use that bit in SRWZ3 to some extent.

Yeah, Brocken does actually use that bit in Z3.1 in the fourth stage. Except it's also rigged with explosives so he's not allowed to attack anything. You all remember that stage as "wait what the gently caress how did I game over" if you've played Z3.1.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

heavybassX posted:

I think BX did the same as well since it had Nadesico minus Gai

BX, as far as I can tell (since I'm fresh off the game) plays Nadesico entirely straight but for the presence of AGE. This does lead to an absolutely amazing finale for both, though.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

V's not dealing with the plot of Hathaway's Flash, so I think you're in the clear on that one.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Onmi posted:

Same for Kai, he's basically, by the time of Unicorn, the final surviving and active pilot of the White Base. Hayato died during the first Neo Zeon war and Amuro just vanished at the end of the second.

Active is probably not the word I'd use there since he never pilots an MS again after the war with Zeon concludes.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Broken Loose posted:

To this day, I'm convinced that the Shining Trapezohedron glitch was intentional.

It really was just too perfect that the two meeting without a clear victory crashed the game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Turn A kind of needs a special set of circumstances to not feel completely shoehorned in. It's great but it needs the setting to be built around its inclusion. It's the reason we haven't seen it outside of Alpha Gaiden and the Z series, it clashes too hard with most mecha series, and unless you go full-on post-apocalypse you just simply can't make its big reveal work.

Materant fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 22, 2016

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

For what it's worth, I can now understand the changes 2nd OGs made to this plotline after this.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ashram posted:

I like that Bright's face in his conversation portraits always looks like his is soooo done giving a gently caress.

This is literally his fourth war looking over mentally unstable kids. I'm pretty sure he's checked out by now.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh man this machine robo ending is too good

Next is gonna be some soulcrushing rahxephon and NGE stuff isnt it.

Brunom1 posted:

Misumaru’s just finished briefing our people on the upcoming Operation Bagration. Ruri pokes at how they outright ripped the name off the Soviets’ Operation Bagration back in WW2 (named after Pyotr Ivanovich Bagration, Russian general in the Napoleonic wars).
The gist of this operation will be to gather all MP Dragoons and MSs for an all-out assault on the Gulfer, Vegans, Giganos AND Martian Successors. In other words, Bright surmises, it’ll strike at every space-based enemy. Misumaru makes a haiku/pun about the name andUUUUUUURRRGH. It’s an awful, huge stretch of a pun and even Ruri calls him out on it.

So no, it's probably going to be the Dragonar, Dendoh and PoD finales first in line.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Alacron posted:

So in the end, is Guiltorre the only real "sad death" that Dragonar has? It's like they saw Mobile Suit Gundam and said "How's about we cut out all that sad stuff."

Not saying it's bad, it's just that there's a really striking difference between it and Zeta Gundam, and Zeta's few survivors are literally right there.

Honestly, given how well the Giganos War ended they would probably take it as a personal victory.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I might have just lost it in the updates but I don't think Hugo and Aqua have really had much interaction with the other characters either. I remember Aqua and Rain had a couple of scenes but I can't recall anything else, maybe because of that they don't really stand out too much to me. I kind of think they could use some stronger connections to a few of the other series.

Banpresto may have realized this shortcoming as well, since they made Hugo and Aqua much more of a presence in 2nd OGs.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ulube indulging his inner Dio Brando there for a bit. MUDA, MUDA, MUDA, indeed.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Man, gently caress Evangelion.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

:psyduck:

That's not even a one-emote post, I can literally sum up whatever post I could write as that.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I can only really offer this in congratulations.

It seemed fitting, in the end.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brunom1 posted:

:staredog:

Did I get tang'd overnight?

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

MX does still take sort of a side seat to the major plots of 2nd OGs (D, Alpha 2), but it's much less egregious than in its own game. MX's plot is on more of a personal scale anyway, so it works out.

• Locked thread