Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
this game is weird, on the one hand it's like, 'yeah, all that stuff in Impact, that happened, man it's great that we're all best buds' and then on the other you have Judau who's all 'what's a getter robo' despite presumably having hung out with each other for 99 stages of fun

unless Impact is weird and no routes have Judau or the Getter Team at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
didn't Z3 have like this whole alternate planet of mostly water, that getter robo was then on none of the route splits for

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Wounded Land posted:

Man, I forgot how terrible some of the animation in MX is. The kick in the middle of God Slash is bad and whoever approved it should feel bad.

It's probably the same stuff that was in Impact, which would be their first PS2 game. I'm not sure what they redid from that game (the ZZ looks like it might've been prettied up a bit), but the God Gundam is likely the same.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ImpAtom posted:

"Flight" has also become a more common thing among robots as just a default thing. There are fewer and fewer robots who don't fly or can't fly and with SRW using newer shows more regularly there's not a lot going on there.

I think it's usually been sorta half and half? There's a fair few recent shows where flight is limited that come to mind: Iron-Blooded Orphans, Broken Blade, M3...and Argevollen where for whatever reason it was just never invented so you have really weird situations like an ordinary-rear end concrete wall in a valley being a major thing designed to hold back anything giant robots could throw at it. But the vast majority of old super robots I can think of also could just fly around whenever, and the only big real robot thing from ages past where stuff doesn't fly around that much is more or less Mobile Suit Gundam.

I remember in J there were like only 5 important units that couldn't fly - the Boss Borot, the FMP trio, and the Strike if for some reason it wasn't rolling with the Aile or IWSP. Maybe also stuff like the ground-type Aestis, Sayaka's old rides, and...the Buster/Duel? But I never used any of those things.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Dr Pepper posted:

The Aile sucks. :colbert:

No reason to use it ever in J or W.

Well I usually stuck with the Aile just because the simple nature of everything flying meant that anything stuck on the ground was always lagging behind! And given most maps in J usually involved a rapid succession of 'oh no, the enemy has just spawned in on the exact opposite side of the map from where you just put everyone!', you do have to run everyone around a lot.

Materant posted:

Now I'm just imagining how ludicrously complex controlling a twenty-meter robot with puppet strings would be.

I kind of imagined her actually just controlling the regular Jyaki-Gun-Oh, within the cockpit of a much larger one that tracks the motions of the smaller one, in what has to be the most convoluted way to pilot a robot ever conceived.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Alacron posted:

I've only read like 5 or so chapters of Mazinger Zero, but it seems completely insane. There was one really awesome scene of Kouji doing a rocket punch with his own severed arm. As in, like, no robots involved, his arm gets chopped off and he just fuckin throws it at the guy who maimed him.

...jesus christ i hope this happens in SRW V

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

MarsDragon posted:

More specifically, it's the first Banpresto Original, being the final boss of SRW1. Masaki's just the first Original that isn't a modification of an existing unit.

Nah, Mecha Gilgilgan wasn't in 1, that was just regular Gil. The Mecha variant first showed up in 2.

Sadly, even though it did indeed pop up in Impact, we don't get to see it here, even though it looks rad as hell. There's an absolute ton of other stuff from the myriad of Mazinger movies in this game though.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Glazius posted:

Are all of Zeorymer's animations that contemptuous? That wrist-blaster looks like it's barely even trying.

i wouldn't have zeorymer any other way

just like i wouldn't have godmars any other way

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is why i dislike the nadesico portraits.
They always face directly forward. They look like anime voldemorts.

Ruri especially is extra creepy.

I wonder why that is, actually? It's oddly consistent...and it makes me wonder how exactly they make these portraits. Are they just direct rips from the actual anime? I feel like it might be, I don't think they outright redraw the characters or anything. Especially with Zeorymer stuff? Everyone's faces from that here in MX look exactly the same in J, just pixellated more (though I think they did just draw them by hand for earlier GBA games, just look at Kamille, who looks very little like Kamille)

speaking of which where the hell is Kamille

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
another facet of J that was kind of weird: Yuratei actually gets her own final boss mech, the Hau Dragon from some spinoff material, and it looks pretty sweet! it's pretty much Great Zeorymer Lite. it'd be rad if she used this in MX even though...considering that Yuratei decided to basically blow herself up for the greater good, I forget why she even rolled out in this in J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdHrCOwi4w

but! ...if you're doing it right, you should never see this thing, because if you're getting Great Zeorymer, she just shows up in that instead. it is slightly unfortunate! but I hope we see both of them again if SRW ever uses the show again (and like, all the robots look pretty cool from it so why the heck not!)

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 2, 2016

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

EclecticTastes posted:

What I want to know is, does his car split in half when Daimos transforms? Because the trailer it goes into becomes the legs, and you can clearly see that the car stays there in the rendition of that sequence from SRW Alpha 2.

Ultra belatedly: I think the implication is that it moves through the trailer into the torso?

In the Soul of Chogokin figure it's just very tiny and only goes in one leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Congratulations!

so what you're saying is that unlike almost every other set of originals, OGs actually improves the MX crew? Though I can only imagine that despite MD kinda not being narratively swell to Calvina, the J people have a net positive since these two games are really weird in how detached the originals are from the rest of it, since I guess around Alpha 2 they got skittish about their characters being too central? IIRC even W had the Ardyguns a little detached from people besides the Astray crew, it was just harder to notice because they had such good chemistry within each other and were in more scenes in a commanding role on account of having an original battleship and all

• Locked thread