Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Discendo Vox posted:

Eggman is pretty close to the modern SA goon ideal. Feminist, computer-toucher, overeducated, gets to flirt interact with Sonic the Hedgehog...

I was thinking it would be funny if they redesigned Eggman to wear a fedora and cargo shorts because he's totally the kind of guy who would, but that might be a little too on the nose and mean-spirited for an official product for kids.

I've also totally thought up what the story to an Eggman spinoff would be like because I'm a total goon. In it, Eggman would finally get rid of Sonic, but realizes that what he always wanted isn't what it's cracked up to be. For one, he never actually planned what he would actually do once he got rid of Sonic, and he becomes depressed because he has no friends and in a bizarre way, Sonic is the closest thing he has to one.

Sega, take my fanfic and make it into a game please, kthnxbye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Overbite posted:

I think Ecco the Dolphin should be in sonic games.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was thinking it would be funny if they redesigned Eggman to wear a fedora and cargo shorts because he's totally the kind of guy who would, but that might be a little too on the nose and mean-spirited for an official product for kids.

I've also totally thought up what the story to an Eggman spinoff would be like because I'm a total goon. In it, Eggman would finally get rid of Sonic, but realizes that what he always wanted isn't what it's cracked up to be. For one, he never actually planned what he would actually do once he got rid of Sonic, and he becomes depressed because he has no friends and in a bizarre way, Sonic is the closest thing he has to one.

Sega, take my fanfic and make it into a game please, kthnxbye

Sorry but I also thought about it and ACTUALLY you would be fighting Sonic and friends with various robots and carrying out a nefarious plan but in the end after you've beaten them you'd make a dumb mistake and Sonic would win.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sonic and Robotnik just need each other.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Eggman is a feminist?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Eggman is a feminist?

Yeah it's been in all his official profiles since at least the Saturn era. It's one of those arbitrary things that don't show up in the games like Tails loving Christmas and mint candy and being afraid of lightning or Amy reading tarot and being nicknamed Rosie the Rascal.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Overbite posted:

I think Ecco the Dolphin should be in sonic games.

ColdPie posted:

Eggman is a feminist?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gammatron 64 posted:

So basically Megamind? I can dig it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I like to imagine that Eggmanland would actually be a genuine paradise of plenty, prosperity, social justice and equality for all, free of prejudice. And everyone knows this, but the idea of living in a paradise with an eye-searing red and black paint job and eggman's mug everywhere would be too much to bear.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

I thought that was a mistranslation and it's really supposed to read "womanizer".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Mido posted:

I thought that was a mistranslation and it's really supposed to read "womanizer".

That wouldn't really make sense in the context. They may have changed the writing from the original but "A romanticist, womanizer and self-professed gentleman" isn't actually coherent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doubleeggpost

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Joke's (Yoke's) on Eggman there, I can count the number of human women in the Sonic games on one hand and they would rather kiss Sonic, a literal animal, instead of him

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
It makes sense to me. A romanticist (Nice Guytm), a womanizer (sleazeball), and a "self-professed" gentleman (a very poor gentleman because his charms are hard to see). When I look at it like that feminist is the one that has no business being there when it reads like a laundry list of why Eggman is a nasty dude.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Eggman is a feminist in that he completely believes in equality between men and women. Men and women will be completely equal in that they will spend at least 12 hours a day praising Eggman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not that it really matters but I did a little research and it apparently is not a mistranslation, it actually is supposed to be 'feminist', but the application of the word 'feminist' in Japanese is closer to the womanizer thing. Whether that is correct or not, who knows, it's just what I found.

VJeff posted:

Eggman is a feminist in that he completely believes in equality between men and women. Men and women will be completely equal in that they will spend at least 12 hours a day praising Eggman.

This is more important, though

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Eggman is pretty close to the modern SA goon ideal. Feminist,

Feminist??

Hahahahaha I love Sonic games even more now. Sonic not only is fighting a mad scientist who wants to implement a futuristic dystopia by exploiting/subverting nature to death, he is fighting a feminist! Actually makes sense, nature over technology. 10/10, thank you Sega.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
How can Eggman be a feminist? Isn't he the only human?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

How can Eggman be a feminist? Isn't he the only human?

Not since at least Sonic Adventure, no.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not since at least Sonic Adventure, no.

Eh, I still don't buy it. Eggman only cares about one person: Eggman.

...and maybe Dr. Robotnik.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Eggman has eyes only for his exquisitely detailed submarine sandwich, obviously.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Eh, I still don't buy it. Eggman only cares about one person: Eggman.

Maybe he's a homosexual trans man who don't need no man.

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 21, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I sometimes like to think Robotnik finds the concept of misogyny confusing. "You think they should stay in the kitchen and raise your children? Why on earth would you want that?!? They could be building statues of me on that time! Also, why aren't you building statues of me?"

Other times I like to think Robotnik is incredibly woke. His doctorate is actually in intersectional gender studies with a minor in social justice. He builds in red and black to show solidarity to antifa and Marx. Which, come to thing of it, is also why he has the moustache.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Other times I like to think Robotnik is incredibly woke. His doctorate is actually in intersectional gender studies with a minor in social justice. He builds in red and black to show solidarity to antifa and Marx. Which, come to thing of it, is also why he has the moustache.

*Submits his latest research paper on modern-day Marxism for peer review* "GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dr Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik Dr Eggman "Ivo" Robotnik on the subject of proper representation of women characters in video games

https://twitter.com/PixelMatt64/status/888069931371085824

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 21, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Not that it really matters but I did a little research and it apparently is not a mistranslation, it actually is supposed to be 'feminist', but the application of the word 'feminist' in Japanese is closer to the womanizer thing. Whether that is correct or not, who knows, it's just what I found.

No, that whole thing wasn't in japanese at all, the English team inserted it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A lot of Robotnik's true leftist motivations make sense if you've seen Rossum’s Universal Robots- or if you just know the true origins of his name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MikeJF posted:

https://twitter.com/PixelMatt64/status/888069931371085824

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Robotnik has been trying to get rid of Sonic not because he keeps foiling his plans, but to make room in the series to allow Amy Rose to take her rightful place as main protagonist.

Also, the reason why Robotnik abducted Amy in Sonic CD was to remove the patriarchal programing causing her to fail the Bechdel test as a character.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

MikeJF posted:

No, it's absolutely in his profiles in Japanese as well as far back as Sonic Jam. If you Google "エッグマン フェミニスト" his Sonic X site profile is one of the first results, even.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

*Submits his latest research paper on modern-day Marxism for peer review* "GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

I Lol'd quietly

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

smh at people trying to erase eggman's feminist beliefs

he wants to rule the world, but not in like, a bad way ok

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

I want them to make Super Eggman cannon.
I want them to make Breakdancing Eggman canon.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

No, it's absolutely in his profiles in Japanese as well as far back as Sonic Jam. If you Google "エッグマン フェミニスト" his Sonic X site profile is one of the first results, even.

I don't know about the Sonic Jam stuff, but I think that poster was just talking about the Heroes manual there. Only translation thing I could find from it was this, where the translator gives a more literal translation and it doesn't mention anything about this.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So it's been revealed that Eggman's a Feminist. Good.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

A lot of Robotnik's true leftist motivations make sense if you've seen Rossum’s Universal Robots- or if you just know the true origins of his name.

I followed that, and when I looked up "Other uses of the name Robotnik" link, I eventually found my way here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotnik_Automation

It almost wouldn't be so worrying if like half the research project names didn't also sound like badnik names.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
I hope Sonic Mania has a switch in the options menu or something to change any reference to "Dr. Eggman" to "Dr. Robotnik".

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If a Sonic game has more text than Start Game, the Options menu, and maybe COPE, they already hosed up.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ColdPie posted:

If a Sonic game has more text than Start Game, the Options menu, and maybe COPE, they already hosed up.
I look forward to the game credits being told entirely through mime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have noticed that the old-school EG logo is all over the place.