Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only thing I know about Mammoth Mogul from second-hand info is that he's immortal and at some point had the realization that he's immortal and Sonic the Hedgehog isn't so there's no reason he can't just wait until Sonic dies of old age and THEN take over the world.

Which, to be fair, is a pretty good super-villain plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol dropping that much money for the non canon version of sonic with the green eyes smdh.

Excuse me, I think you'll find that Sonic Generations confirmed that both versions of Sonic are canon, one merely grows into the other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crash Bandicoot is in Skylanders.

Sonic is in Lego Dimensions.

Sonic wins.,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't confirm it's accurate but supposedly this easter egg shows up in the new Deus Ex.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Is there a widely agreed "worst level" in Sonic Generations?

I mean other than the boss fights.

Planet Wisp for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zernach posted:

I had to share this... thing the moment I saw it on PYFs Bootleg toys thread.

It's just magical.

It's also a photoshop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

60fps, true widescreen, massively smoothed animation (check the special stages especially!) plus Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 and Hidden Palace in Sonic 2.

Holy poo poo I just looked up the special stage thing. That's crazy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Everyone knows Sonic celebrates Christmas. Please respect his Faith.

You don't know Sonic's faith! He is very private.

We do, however, know Mario's faith. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Which makes it weird why Sega (or Archie as the case might be) is suddenly deciding to pull the plug now. Has there been any further info released about this?

If it's really happening it probably has something to do with Sonic Boom and an interesting in refocusing and rebranding the character. For good or ill the Sonic comic is largely out of their control and may not represent what they want from the characters or they may just not like having something being published with their IP that doesn't fit their marketing plans.

Or maybe nothing is happening at all, who knows?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A good poster posted:

Would it be a bit of embarrassment for Sega if Sonic Mania, the game made by a bunch of fan-game creators, winds up being a lot more profitable than the bigger game from Sonic Team proper slated for this year?

No? It is a game they are funding and publishing and is probably being made at a fraction of the budget, why would that be embarrassing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Kinda depends on if Project 2017 is another wacky gimmick game in a long line of wacky gimmick games, or if it's also actually what fans have been asking for, that being Generations 2.

It probably will be more profitable given the lower development cost, I bet you they're prepping to put out a mobile version of Mania and so on.

If anyone should be embarassed, it's DIMPS. Hopefully after Mania destroys Sonic 4 in every capacity they burn their offices down, salt the earth, and go home to be humble farmers to atone for their sin.

Considering DIMPs is currently responsible for the apparently wildly successful Dragonball Xenoverse games I'm sure they'll go cry into their pile of money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sonic is nobody's friend. He is too cool for school.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VJeff posted:

Bringing up the comic reminded me of how Ian Flynn used to post here. I miss him. :(

People poo poo on him basically nonstop so I'm not particularly surprised he left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

why were people making GBS threads on the only good Sonic writer

It was a combination of "lol, you write the sonic comic", him being too enthusiastic (he put a reference to I think BSS in one of the comics and people got angry/snarky about it) and it being one of the absolute most negative times when it came to any discussion of Sonic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's possible for Eggman to be mildly threatening in a way a superhero can stop without a game being a grimdark angstfest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://soundcloud.com/mr-kingalocious/for-the-land-of-the-sky?in=mr-kingalocious/sets/sonic-ova-ost-reconstruction

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

At least it's not as bad as Aeris/Aerith thing where Square Enix went back from the nicely localized name to one that sounds like awkward engrish.

Aerith's name is literally supposed to sound like Earth. It's literally the english word Earth turned into a name and it was missed due to FFVII's translators being bad, not due to an intentional localization change. There's a reason they changed that but you still have Terra and Sabin instead of Tina and Mash.

Regardless, he's been Eggman for about twice as long as he was Robotnik. It's a silly thing to keep clinging to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Time is not the important factor but rather the shittiness of the games where he was called Eggman. Which is all of them. All the bad games. Return to Robotnik and return to the glorious years of good Sonic games and a good Sega console.

Mr Phillby posted:

Basically if you have a franchise with characters beloved by millions don't change their names arbitrarily is all I'm saying, treat your long time fans right.

It's very rarely arbitrary. Long-term fans who can't accept the idea that maybe something was badly translated and there's no reason to cling desperately to bad translations basically don't deserve to be 'treated right' because their only argument is "nostalgia is more important to me than anything!"

Localization is good but what you're arguing isn't carefully thought out localization. It's stuff done by underpaid translators a couple decades ago. I don't particularly care which name you use for Dr. Robotnik Julian Kintobor Ivo Eggman The Third but there's no real good reason to still be angry about it over a decade later.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Did Sonic Chronicles have a conversation wheel?

Yes, and dating mechanics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

"Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings, Black Knight, and Sonic Colors. He also directed Sonic Lost World."

That seems like not great news.

Sonic Colors is probably unironically the very best 3D Sonic game. Colors and Black Knight had potential but suffered a ton for being Wiimote waggle designed. It's not as bad as it sounds though it probably means it'll be cheesy as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The characters so far are past sonic and present sonic, character #3 is going to be future sonic.

You mean the one who is silver-haired, from the future and has psychic powers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Ah, so instead the new playable will be Sonic Black.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

Ian Flynn is good.

Man I don't know, "What if Batman responded to the Joker with 'have you tried to be good?' and the Joker got SUPER OWNED" is kind of ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

the joker is a sociopath, not an edgelord teenager

That specific line is literally from a Batman/Joker story called The Killing Joke. (It's not a coincidence either, Ian Flynn used to post in BSS.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't click. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't even deal with this this morning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seems these are the only options available.

Wow. Dog gets completely hosed on their special ability.

"Double jumps! Magnet shield! Safety Ring! ... uh, you get 5 rings when you die."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The big question is: Can your Original Character go Super Saiyan or no?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Barkley 2 is looking good.

Sonic Forces will come out before Barkely 2 and eclipse it in quality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andre Banzai posted:

You and me too, my dude.

You and me, too.

There was only one thing that could ever be better than an XCOM reboot.

It's this.

What about an X-COM reboot but with Sonic characters? Or maybe Mario characters? And they could include hip new crossovers like the Rabbids!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone explain the elevator joke 123km?

"Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Mania."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mikedawson posted:

I remember reading about how even back in the 90s, the writers realized the Amy in canon was a bit 2-dimensional, and expanded her character and made her more of a tough tomboy who used a crossbow. I can attest to British women I know who found her inspirational as kids.

To be fair like at the time wasn't Amy-in-canon like a five second bit in Sonic CD and nothing else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

The developers are black forest games or whatever, who brought back the loving Giana sisters. Look that poo poo up and tell me more people remember them than Bubsy.

Gladly. Giana Sisters were apparently actually really big in parts of Europe despite their weird history, especially since Nintendo was less successful over there. People legitimately really cared about Giana Sisters and bringing them back in a less-ripoffy way makes sense. Bubsy is a meme.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Wait...

Doesn't this mean there's incest in Knuckles' family? Or am I reading the chart wrong? :what:

It's going from bottom to top and it looks like the only shared connection is two family different brothers like a dozen generations back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver is a constant failure just further confirms he is Sonic the Hedgehog Trunks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know, for some reason, this reminds me. Ken Penders loves to talk about how progressive he is, but I'm remembering now that of all the Guardians, the only one to die on the job was the only one (out of 12 generations) who happened to be a woman.

It doesn't seem very fair to blame him for Tikal when she's all Sega's fault. Unless there's another one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Every time they reveal that the wisp powers are in these games my hype erection instantly droops a little. I am so tired of LASER! SPIKES! ROCKEETTT!

Way to be objectively wrong, CJacobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnyIJeOqoF0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Sonic Boom is just Sonic as Seinfeld with Eggman as Evil Kramer. The season finale was about assembling IKEA furniture. It's kind of funny sometimes but it's not very Sonic at all.

That sounds pretty drat Sonic to me? I mean Eggman spends as much time helping out (usually after a problem he caused himself) as he does as a villain these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think that the Werehog stuff wouldn't bother people if

A) There was no medal system so you weren't obligated to replay missions if you didn't have enough
B) It didn't override the music every time you got into combat.

It would never be popular but fix those two things and it probably would have been overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have you actually played Sonic Utopia? It plays really badly. It's incredibly awkward and outside of the proof-of-concept part isn't actually very fun or interesting either and there's no real indication the playstyle could translate easily to enjoyable levels.

It isn't just a case of 'time + money + talent." Outside of looking like a Sonic game in 3D it doesn't actually translate mechanically very well. There's a reason 3D Marios are not just 2D Marios in 3D and that is because the two have very different design philosophies.