Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Have we gotten an orb maze redux yet? I know we've gotten retakes on sonic 1's jewel maze and 2's half pipe but I don't remember any new orb content. 3D Blast's sky walkways never got any love either, but that's more understandable.

They could ALSO try actually doing something new but like that's ever gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, I changed my mind, because I realized it's going to be a mediocre "retro" game attempting to draw on the nostalgia of Sonic 3 and Knuckles instead of being a good game on its own.

The Sonic Cycle is back.

Thing is, part of that nostalgia is for "2D physics that feel good", which Sonic hasn't had for over 20 years (not counting Rush, I haven't played enough of those).

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evil Eagle posted:

Collects rings when getting damaged?

Presumably being able to collect rings that fly out of you will be the "thing" for hedgehogs alone.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I thought the lyrics to Amy's song were "sweep sweep goes the sweep" for years.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because they're completely updated, with modern graphics, music, and gameplay. You're autistic, not stupid.

The remastered Mania levels will also have updated/modified graphics, music, and gameplay so that's not really a good reason.

Generations also had cutscenes between levels (Mania's look like they're going to be simple energetic little things, and much less obtrusive) and clutter (Generations has background elements that look identical to the actual ground you're supposed to stand on, I haven't seen anything like that in Mania).

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 30, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

You just reminded me of a weird little secret in Sonic and Knuckles that I think only I know about...and I'll share it with you.

Knuckles has a hidden animation in Sky Sanctuary Zone that I found as a kid that I've literally never seen discussed anywhere ever so I like to tell myself only I know about it. When Knuckles jumps off screen to connect the bridge to you , if you stand like 2 character widths to his right and crouch he'll do a special animation. I won't spoil what it is here here just go try it!

I found it as a kid but I could never figure out what specifically triggered it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I kinda like the water in Carnival Night, it helps with the whole feeling of "broken down lovely carnival".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mo Hawk and Headphone Jack 2.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The worst thing about Sonic Mania I've seen so far is that speed shoes have a separate power up theme rather than just speeding up the BGM. I hope that's just temporary since the soundtrack isn't finalized, I hate power up themes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Why would it be temporary? I mean they made a whole new track, why would you even think that

I dunno. I just dislike it and if other playtesters dislike it maybe it'd change. :shrug:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Here are some solid looks at the Chemical Plant zones. The layout of Zone 2 is really weird, you're mostly trying to move upward, zigzagging left and right as you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52UGIIIp9WE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG6z9E6_LA8&t=1s

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Hello, world's only Shuffle apologist here. There's a button you can press when it's not your turn that shuffles your hand, and you should be mashing it whenever anyone else is choosing a card. I, uh, don't know if it actually helps against AI, but I do seem to remember them landing in bad places when taking from my hand. It's been years though, I could be wrong. One thing I'm not wrong on though, the spinning card roulette is absurdly easy if you just stop and watch it for a bit.

I don't have any counter-arguments for the rest of your points. It's all true. Shuffle is pretty bad, and for some reason I like getting good at certain bad games. At least some of the minigames were fun.

You're not alone, I too enjoyed the Shuffle. I think if the heinous load times were excised it's just a good dumb time with avoiding Robotnik's sinister shaken soda traps and killing surfing yetis and making Knuckles pet a unicorn.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope other people's OCs are used to populate the rebel headquarters or something, I want to see everyone's abominations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The official Sonic tweet specifies that they've been speaking with previous popular creators so we'll see.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888538195045998592

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm also curious which version of the music they go with, I really like all of Stardust Speedway's music so it would be neat to have something more than just a riff on the JP version alone.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't think 'one zone per game' is even possible, since that'd mean 5 returning stages max, but the game has 60% classic levels and is at least as long as S3&K's 14 stages, so unless they start repping 3D Blast or something we're getting multiple stages for some of the games.

The Lava Reef and/or Death Egg remastered dream is still alive~

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evil Eagle posted:

How about a Lava Reef where the Death Egg actually crashed through the volcano

That would be super cool

Does that mean a level that's a mix of Lava Reef and a busted-up-but-still-somewhat-functional Death Egg because that sounds like the best thing ever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Picking up blue orbs.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

Hearing the blue sphere sound outside of a special stage gave me an unexpected conditioned feeling of rage and loathing

I know, there are so many complicated emotions involved with that one.

Also: getting air with an air bubble, the echoey thump when a heavy thing slams like the Sandopolis midboss jumping. The ring pickup sound is also really good; they've been using that same sound for decades and it hasn't gotten old.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The sound design in Sonic games is so good that it's primarily responsible for 15 years of false belief on my part that the Genesis had a superior sound chip to the SNES. I almost still believe it.

Nah, FM synthesis is genuinely a really good sound that can do things the SNES chip can't. Anything involving bass for instance; the Genesis can do funk really well. I don't think it's right to say it's "better" but I prefer the sound.

It's a harder chip to use, though. There are some nasty-sounding games on the Genesis.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 2, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnkXaLmYG34

Genesis is better at rock type songs imo

Hel yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYUVRSbjehA

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

I know dusty diamond and both panic puppets are the usual suspects when talking 3d blast gen but tell me this isnt great stuff
https://youtu.be/Le9dTWyXc1E

Shoutouts to the volcano zone too. Also we all know panic puppet 1 is the best song right

:yeah:

Also 3D Blast has some top tier zone names. Diamond Dust, :discourse:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

The genesis and Saturn soundtrack both have some pretty good songs.

But then this exists.

Christ, how have I never looked up he Saturn soundtrack before, that is dire. And what's with the Santa's-Workshop-rear end Diamond Dust, yeesh.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

richard jacques owns, imo. and that gene gadget song is pretty cool, but i have a hard time finding a catchy melodic hook to remember it. Volcano VAlley 2 even more so. No idea what the gently caress he was going for with spring yard, but I like the instrumentation.

I love how Spring Yard uses a duck call but man, I think circus music is one of the most dangerous kinds of video game music. You need to treat it lightly or else you're going to get something way too overbearing and that song... did not treat it lightly. It's especially notable here because 3D Blast's levels are looooong.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look at all those Eggman's robots!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like the Nebulas in Sky Chase because instead of an animal it looks like some nerd in a little helicopter.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

The best badnik is mantis mcthrowey arms

I like how he goes from one of the scariest badniks to one of the saddest and most pitiable after he de-limbs himself.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

Carnival night managea to make circus music good. I mean listen to that drum beat.
Im a sucker for flashy garish colors so imo cnz would be a top pick. Its one of my favourite zones

I love Carnival Night's music. It's sorta the polar opposite of that Spring Stadium song in that it's super understated and weird, like the sound of a broken-down carousel in a crappy amusement park. The act 2 music cuts out even more instrumentation, which fits how the level starts losing power and becoming flooded. It's one of Sonic's best pairings of music to level design imo. Still circus music though, I can't really blame anyone for hating it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Say something nice about your least favorite sonic levels (serious replies ONLY!!):

Marble Zone: the music is good and I like that glitch where sonic jumps off the cement block in the standing/walking animation

Metallic Madness: the good future is prob the best looking 2d sonic level ever. So pretty...

Hill Top Zone: the music is good and I like the lava chase at the end

Oil ocean: I like the robotnik fight

Sandopolis Zone Act 1: sick bgm and sonic looks really cool repelling down the walls on

Planet Wisp: great music and it's a very pretty looking zone

Labyrinth Zone: It's really pretty, I like all the gargoyle heads. I also like the spear spikes, they're weird in how if you position yourself just right they won't hurt you.

Oil Ocean: I like how all the traps and mechanisms look and sound. The seahorse badnik is rather memorable as the most "oh poo poo" badnik in the entire series. I hate that guy. But in a good way.

Marble Garden: The yoyos are good. I like the whole earthquake sequence a lot because it goes on for so long and it's scary.

Launch Base: I really like how different Knuckles' version of the stage is. Spin dashing through the water pipes and then going through them is really satisfying. Big Arm is one of my favorite boss fights in the series.

S&K: None. I love literally every level in this game. v:shobon:v

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't know if it's unpopular, but I want Flying Battery Zone. The music in it is dope as hell.

Good news, my friend!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyXg9kAp4Vc

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey everybody. I know a game to pass the time. Let's all draw and post our own lovely Sonics.

I've been drawing crappy Sonics for like a decade now, here are some:

...technically :nws: ...maybe??

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

well, when trying to disprove some idiot about something, someone linked a screen of leaked mania content. kind of a shame that i know about it but, a lot of our prayers have been answered.

gently caress yes, Sonic and Tails kiss???

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trick Question posted:

Finally, we can play as Sonic's other friend, the president of the United States.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

the question that still plagues me: when the hell was this picture taken?

I was about to say after they saved Earth in SA2 but I forgot that Shadow "died" there. So what the gently caress.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Y'all are trifling and not being tolerant of sonic.

We're just shocked and saddened that Sonic went slow for the first time in his life.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you play it on the Switch you won't be able to show all your Steam friends you're playing Sonic Mania

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I went to change the special edition order I had for the ps4 over to the switch but according to gamestop "dude sorry, we only got a single switch allocation and the dude who got it showed up early decked in a sonic shirt and everything."

So stuck with the ps4 one. Ah well.

Note that the Sonic shirt thing doesn't work just for this one game. It's standard GameStop policy that Sonic-shirt-wearers have dibs on anything in the store.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mikedawson posted:

Also, thanks for the av.

All the Spinball avs are really good but man you got an especially choice one there.

I'm kinda bummed I'm gonna need to avoid this thread for two weeks. Spoiled myself on what some of the new stages are but I don't really wanna risk anything more than that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frankston posted:

Finally completed all the blue sphere stages. gently caress the last one. gently caress it hard.

I beat my head against that stage for so long before I decided "okay, this is way too annoying, there has to be a better way to do this". And there is! You can jump your way to the center of the spiral right at the start so you do the difficult part while you're slow and the long, tedious part while you're fast. You have to do some tricky jumps at the start - jumping in the middle of a turn and jumping over two orbs - but at least they happen right at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfsOj0WduWg

I've actually since discovered an even better method that has you reverse the directions of the zig-zag to the center you do right at the start, but it's tedious as heck getting to the blue sphere stage since after you medal all of them they all loop forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stink Terios posted:

A perfect pile O–

Chieves posted:

I'll make you eat those words!

Stink Terios posted:

–F poo poo.

:thurman: