Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

This is a picture of Takashi Iizuka coming up to Ken Penders' booth at Sonic Revolution last year.

Never before has a more awkward image existed.

"I've come to put an end to this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic rush has some of my favorite sonic tunes of all time

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Dr. Ivo Robotnik, who you may have heard of him, he was recently on the show

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Congratulations internet, Sonic's original designer drew sexy fan art of his own characters:
https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/860791710267224065

Disturbing fan art is baked into the very dna of sonic

Also I think I just figured out who the third character in sonic forces is

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Why does dog suck so bad

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just realized that Sega is going to successfully trick me into making my first OC.

You ain't fooling anyone

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

did you know that the lyrics to it doesn't matter perfectly encapsulate the feeling of getting trapped in a longwinded internet argument?

This fight is not for anybody
This is purely for myself
There is no way I'm gonna give up
'Till the very end
I can't tell what is wrong and what is right
I've got to find the answer
But until I do there's no way
I will ever give up
Place all your bets
On the one you think is right

Also what was up with the "when all alone in my chair" line from tail's theme, was that song translated from japanese originally?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because conceptually those characters are fine and they deserve their fans, and whether their gameplay was implemented well or not, they have their place in a celebration of what Sonic is all about, especially if their existence is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the story, gameplay, or anything else.

I feel like I could argue "dark twisted sonic with a gun" is an idea flawed at its very inception but sonic adventure 2 came out when I was like 13 so I still have a soft spot for all those dumb characters

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this game is on preorder on steam at 10% discount. if i play a lot of megadrive sonic 123&k in my childhood, should I buy it, thread?

you can't even design your own character in this one, HARD PASS

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Considering everyone's favorite perception of Sonic is 90's "bad attitude", I can't help but people are a bit too exacting on Vegeta the Hedgehog.

also "Sonic with metal armor and claws and BLOOD RED EYES" was everyone's favorite character back in the 90's so "black hedgehog with hoverboots" doesn't seem too far off from that.

I think you and I like very different things about sonic

Also I loving hated metal sonic he destroyed me over and over again in sonic 2 yes I'm aware that's technically silver sonic shut up

Edit: I also feel like "90s raditude" and "I'm cursed to walk the earth forever after the only woman I ever loved died" are 2 pretty different things

Zelder fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 31, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

There are 14 different iterations of robotic Sonics, and only one robotic tails. Focus up Robotnik

Edit: metal knuckles and mecha knuckles are two different robots!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man.

There are way too many names for that dumb thing.

also:

Dude, think what you want about Shadow himself, but Maria is like 12.

An important friend dying isn't always a love interest.

I didn't say romantic love!

Though I always thought Maria was older. The whole Gerald Robotnik and Maria Robotnik subplot is super hazy in my mind

Zelder fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 31, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik is a loving hack!!

Also drat I was really close

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Please do not post small sonic or small tails

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The sonic dating sim was weird

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic lost world is an excruciating game to play. It just feels so bad, it's surreal

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I know it was Dimps I was just listing well (or ish) received Sonic games that I could think of.

Agreed, I don't really know why people lost their poo poo over Mario Kart 8 or whichever one it was that had transforming cars because Racing Transformed already did that poo poo and was awesome. Also the track layouts and characters options don't seem as good in the new Mario Kart series as they are in the Sonic All-Stars series.

We're really overdue for a new installment and I don't know if we're going to get one.

Have your tried playing it with friends

Sonics racing is indeed an awesome game but the skill cap is way higher so it's not fun to bust out at parties/when hanging with your drunk friends. Also the items suck

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I've played it online, so I know what it's like to be that drunk, bad friend without actually being drunk.

The people that can play that game well really play that game well and it's scary.

Oh yeah, definitely. Sonic racing is a very fun game but i feel it occupies a much different space than Mario kart

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Spinball is a legit bad game ™

With two of the best sonic tracks of all time, weirdly enough

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic blast is amazing but I haven't played it since I was 10 so that opinion might be possibly out of date

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Why isn't Wang tang in any of the marvel vs capcom games

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

True but they aren't nearly as memorable or hilarious as knuckles themes

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So the way to take the series forward is to use the same ideas over with some slight new gimmicks, but the mistake Sonic team is making is using the same ideas over with slight new gimmicks?

I'm excited about Sonic Mania but I think people are going "this tickles my nostalgia, ergo it's go" more than anything. Which is fine but the future of the franchise being Sonic Mania would suck.

I'd be okay with the future of the franchise being good sonic games at this point.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Take sonic mania, pair it with the modern sonic generation levels, boom there you go there's a winning formula sonic team. Don't do anything else you'll just hurt yourself in the process

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I Like generations a lot, a whole lot, but it doesn't feel like there's a ton of meat on the modern sonic levels at times

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Wow, Jim Sterling is a contrarian piece of crap, huh? It's almost like he says poo poo just to get attenti- oh, wait...

Jim Sterling is the internet given voice and form, it's unnerving how much that dude sucks

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Sterling plays an important role in at least trying to weed out both lovely corporate practices in the industry and cheap money-grabbing schemes from "indie developers" who just crank out garbage and poo poo it onto Steam. He had an ad-farming site taken down shortly after he did a video exposing them, he's had attempts made to sue him which backfired on the assholes who tried it...

Call him "grating" or what-have-you but he's one of the only people out there actually trying to push back against some of the worst aspects of the gaming industry. His clickbait articles on Destructoid were the only things I had a problem with, but that's in the past and he doesn't even write for them anymore that I know of.

I just wish he could do all that without the persona and being a bellend. But I suppose that doesn't bring in the views in the same way

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The game where you finally make your own OC and they tenderly kiss sonic on the lips to make him go super sonic is gonna outsell mania

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lost world is very bad

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Please look forward to the adventures of fasto the mammal coming to Archie comics this fall

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

So where Sonic Mania is attempting to encapsulate everything good in 2D Sonic games Forces is trying to capture everything good in 3D Sonic games.

Good 3D Sonic stuff being butt rock and nothing else.

chao garden

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

*Submits his latest research paper on modern-day Marxism for peer review* "GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

I Lol'd quietly

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

I feel like Dr. Robotnik is actually a pretty nice guy who would just want to build a theme park, he's giving work to machines anyway to build stuff so I bet he contracts out too, boosting the economy.

He turns innocent animals into killing machines

Like he doesn't even kill them first he wants them to be cognizant of the poo poo they're about to do

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lmao the sonic thread is about to hit a new nadir

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

poo poo man are you a professional comedian? That's loving hilarious...

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Goddamn the sonic forces character creator is looking good

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ken Penders is back, baby

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

In the new sonic comics, it's all juli-su all the time!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Bring back Scott Shaw!

Make this man's username relevant in the new comics!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The "stuff people say bubsy" comic series is surprisingly limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I have "canonical" evidence of Donkey Kong hanging out with Crash via the last Skylanders game having the ability to have both of them on-screen at once and that is something that can never be taken away.

Donky Kong is a lout