Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dabir posted:

Unless you just jump at the ghosts.

He's talking about the rising sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I liked sonic unleashed's "GO!!!" and "WOOOoo!!" more than the Sonic Generations' boost clips. He sounds like he's having so much fun in Unleashed :unsmith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just heard a rumor on my way into work that Sonic just got busted for PEDs in Rio. Anyone know if this is true? I'm on the train & can't check right now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Guys I'm having a Bad Day :(, do any of my sonic friends have any cool sonic fan art of Sonic like doing cool flips or peacefully overlooking the rolling hills of Mobius? Anything cool would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
-your friend

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

These are all cool and awesome as heck and pretty much nailed exactly what I was looking for :) keep it comin :):)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

PS3s can read usb thumb drives

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope Sonic Mania includes the Carnival Night Act 2 Barrel in some capacity, like maybe its own boss fight would be sweet.

Kashuno posted:

If you enjoy the tails and eggman stages in SA2 you should probably not

Not sure what yEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't think I ever understood the health system for tails/eggman in SA2

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

I can imagine a simple mini-boss fight but how do you get that perfect moment of blasting through the level when suddenly you're spat onto a barrel and the door locks behind you? You're trapped kid. Trapped with the barrel.

I think you just described Sonic Mania's anti-piracy gimmick :getin:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey all I'm just laying here looking at the sky thinking about my life, my loved ones and of course Sonic Mania and I had a couple of ideas I wanted to run past you guys.

How do we feel about sonic 3 style level transitions? I always liked its seamless act 1 > 2 zone transition as well as a 10 second cutscene showing how you get from place to place, but a lot of you Sonic 2 puritans out there don't seem to keen on it.

Secondly this is the first time I've thought about this ever but what if there were modern era 16-bit level de-makes of, say, Eggmanland (Sonic Unleashed) or Tropical Resort (Sonic Colors) in Sonic Mania. How fuckin sick would that be.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lost World was really really pretty with tons of promise but imo the game couldn't deliver on anything and the controls went at best poorly explained at worst completely unexplained and the game just felt very sloppy and janky to play, which is saying something for a modern 3d sonic game. It also had the #1 limpest final boss fight I've played in any game in years. Left a total bad taste in my mouth.

I will say though I loved absolutely everything about this level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxBi5GdnJ7w&t=6s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Happy labor day, everyone. While thinking critically about Sonic Mania on my run this morning my mind went wild hoping that Sonic Maniac isn't >50% reimagined old world content. I'll explain. I I fear it will send SEGA the wrong idea if most of their most critically accepted Sonic games in the last 5 years are all throwback games.

Of course one might say that Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors send the exact opposite message (one is an abortion of a throwback that everyone hated, the other is an amazing breath of fresh air with all new content), but you all know how stubborn japanese game developers can be when it comes to handling consumer feedback and knowing where to go with each success. What do you think?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've had enough of the negativity in this thread. We are brothers. It greatly disturbs me when I think about how stubborn and absolutist some of SA's Sonic "fans" can behave so I'll begin the healing by saying some nice/constructive things about all of the Sonic games that aren't my favorite:

Sonic Lost World is extremely pretty and the music is nice, I think if they had another year or two to polish it up it could've been as good as Generations.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 had really chill special stages and I had fun no-damaging the final boss for the achievement.

Sonic 4 Ep 2 was much better looking than Ep 1 and the physics were a bit better so I think they took some fan feedback.

Sonic 2006 has probably my favorite Main Theme of any Sonic game and honestly the story isn't that bad.

Sonic Unleashed was a necessary and pivotal step in what would lead to the best sonic games in a decade. Rooftop Run is probably in my top 5 fav Sonic levels of all time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jsor posted:

The best thing about '06 is that it's the gift that keeps on giving as far as wonky speedrun tricks and glitch exhibitions go.

I still watch that one famous game grumps vid every once in a while and it's always funny. The part where they game over and it dawns on them they have to start from scratch because they didn't know they had to manually save the game is really funny too

What I said about 06's story, I dunno, I kinda want to expand on it but you all made me feel embarrassed now :(

edit: found the clip

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 6, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Every post I make is sonic related

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One thing I like about sonic 3 were the sheer amount of special stages in s3&k.

Was the only other 2D sanic to have non-chaos emerald/ring special stages just for lives/funsies Knuckles' Chaotix??

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know this is heresy but I'd be okay with lives being in Sonic Mania if it has unique special stages just for rings & lives :shobon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thinking more on this, I actually had a lot of fun with Sonic 3 & Knuckles' and also Knuckles' Chaotix's non-emerald special stages that you only get lives, powerups and rings from. They're kinda chill since there's really no risk in doing them. I will write Christian Whitehead my idea and get this into the game pronto.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I listen to a podcast where the winners of weekly bets are awarded Werehogs for their efforts. So at least some kind souls out there are keeping it alive :unsmith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Elfgames posted:

you admitted this

EXCUSE me but what are you trying to say exactly. Listen up buckaroo if you're thinking about stepping up to grandpa, you do it or don't do it. You got something against werehogs, bitch?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think Sonic in general could use a lot of the Ico/SotC guy's well documented "design by subtraction" method where instead of adding a bunch of lovely half-baked ideas you just remove unnecessary bloat until the purest most well fleshed out features remain, and then build off of that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Link pls

Big's stages are great. :colbert:
Spoilering in case anyone gets triggered by podcasts, which I've seen far too many times on these forums

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199181&page=291 Do a ctrl+f for werehog (easy allies is my fav video game podcast, good jolly vibes all around. just like sonic)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Morning everyone, I hope you're all staying "cool" today :)

I have had fantastic results this month incorporating the Sonic Mania debut trailer music into the final mile of my runs and decided I should take it a step further and see what kinda results I'll get.

With that said, who wants to make a sweet as hell sonic the hedgehog music playlist for me for when I run in the morning?

Requirements:
1) going for maximum 60min but if you only suggest a couple that's fine! but please don't go over like 15-20 suggestions
2) all tracks must be high energy, high tempo (lyrics count as exxxtra high energy)
3) list separately 1-3 "power up" tracks for the final sprint where I'll need all the power I can get

I think this will be fun! :-]

P.s. I think the best way to do it would be to list the track name and what game it's from, and maybe optionally a YouTube vid link if you want (but PLEASE link it in the title, don't embed imo), I can do the rest!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You are all darlings & this page has been fantastic, great moves, keep it up, I'm proud of you sonic thread :)

I'll probably get to making this tomorrow, just need a super pretentious sounding playlist title so the drat wife doesn't think I'm a loser if she sees "sonic jams" in my loadout...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

elf help book posted:

super sonic jams

Actually that sounds pretty badass

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey all, hope you all had a great weekend :)

I just finished the greatest thing ever and I want you all to see. I used everything recommended here plus some stuff I was thinking of tonight (most recommendations I pulled from this guy's channel.

What do you think? How insanely epic is this going ot be?

I dare someone to try to f*ck with me tomorrow.....

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hell yes!!!!!

I smashed it this morning, beat my PR for the same 4 mile river path I've been running for 3 years. Thanks for all the suggestions over the weekend, my list certainly still has room to grow :) after I posted last night I added the Sonic OVA's "Look Alike" to the mix but was so pumped from completing the playlist I didn't want to edit my post!!

Me vs my PR today:

http://i.imgur.com/6JnXCQa.mp4

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Me looking at that sick Sonic Mania bundle :dance::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhtOHeAmCbs

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good morning and happy Friday everyone. I want to join this pleasant conversation to formally announce that I turn 30 next week and for my annual birthday 4-miler I will be proudly wearing my sick Sonic T-shirt because it owns and I am who I am, and I'm not a bitch who's afraid of his own hobbies and interests. If anyone had a problem with that they'll have to catch me first :owned:

Remember, it's your move, break it out, that's what life is all about it's YOUR adventure...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spergatory posted:

So, kind of an odd question: can anyone tell me exactly what was wrong with Lost World? I've never played it, but looking at videos of it, it actually seems to have a lot of neat ideas. The parkour stuff looks pretty cool and is an interesting use of Sonic's speed (using spindash to climb a sheer wall, for example). It looks like when you homing attack you have the option to hit multiple enemies or kick one enemy in a given direction, which seems like it could have a lot of neat implications. Was it just the level design? The controls? The story? Whatever it was, unlike 06 and Boom, it's really not obvious just from watching videos of the game.

It doesn't come across in videos but the game just feels very jerky, sluggish and just plain bad to play. It breaks my heart cause if they had another year or two in the oven to iron that out I think we could have had another classic on our
hands.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

elf help book posted:

It is a lot of neat ideas, but they are all done poorly. Many of those ideas are also never explained so many players probably never realize the multihit homing attacks work and wonder why a boss dies in two hits or don't use the kick because why does Sonic have a kick? And even if you know they're there, they aren't very satisfying to use. It's a bizarre game that constantly feels like you're playing it wrong.

It took me a very long time to kill the big red monster boss at the end of the game because the multi-lock on mechanic which was required to damage him was never explained or required ever in the game. I think I may have had to look it up online :negative:

In the end I accepted it as my comeuppance for constantly bashing all the dorks who couldn't defeat Senator Armstrong because of the blade mode section lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Been thinking about this all day today...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think Sonic is a good guy who is very brave and loyal to his ftriends but would make for a disappointment as a dad (no offense intended). Too much of a "free spirit" tio settle down, in this poster's opinion.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

No offense.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic Jam Easy Mode deserves a much more dignified post than that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It has just dawned on me that I do not Sonic X's main theme, Gotta Go Fast, added to my running playlist. I have failed myself, all my Sonic friends and brought great shame to this thread.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good morning everyone, for those wondering, my birthday was great and I cut 50 seconds off my PR on my 30th while wearing my cool sonic shirt. As usual, it's only black dudes that ever acknowledge the shirt/say it's cool/give thumbs up :whatup:

But anyway, I really just wanted to post the cherry on top of it all for anyone who hasn't seen this yet:

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/780144468561432576

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What's to explain? Seems like the most self-explanatory thing on earth to me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Everybody stand back! Nobody try to help me...I have to destroy this imposter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

a.lo posted:

I've got some good news for you

If the one you want to watch was made in 1996 then you're in for a great time! :)