Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
Are you talking about two separate records, or the single record for the longest-and-loudest fart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
What would be the criteria for the longest-and-loudest fart?

Simply this: a single unbroken fart that is both LOUDER (according to a professional decibel meter) and LONGER (according to an atomic clock) than any other recorded fart

Given the set of all farts, there would necessarily exist a maximally loud-and-long fart.

That would be the world's record.

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait. Wait a moment. What I just wrote is incorrect!

Given a set of two farts, and fart A is louder than fart B, and fart B is longer than fart A, which is the "world record?" It's a paradox!

But that is an edge case. Let's "bar this monster" and stick with typical cases, where there are large sets of farts, shall we?

I offer a conjecture: there will exist a single unbroken fart that is both LOUDER (according to a professional decibel meter) and LONGER (according to an atomic clock) than any other recorded fart IFF (if and only if) the set of farts comprises only one, or more than two, farts

Think with me here, GBS!

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
My god! Germstore, you are right.

DOes there exist a minimal number of farts that the set of farts would need to contain in order to guarantee the existence of a single loudest-and-longest fart?

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
... you're talking about the fart singularity!

"The Big Rip"

http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/dark_energy/de-fate_of_the_universe.php#the_big_rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

Fartmaster posted:

I am tired of everyone's childish humor

Are YOU the world record holder?

• Locked thread