Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

I'll never be able to unhear it either now, THANKS BUDDY.

:)

Man, there's a live version of Creeping Death where Newstead sings and I know what tour period it's from, but years ago i had a version that was just spot-on perfect and I've never been able to find it since the Kazaa days. I've listened to pretty much every video on youtube so I think it was some home-made recorded thing that I stumbled across somehow.

I'm gonna go home after work and get drunk and listen to a whole shitheap of Metallica I don't do it nearly enough.

Not sure about Creeping Death, but Newstead took over vocals when James threw a hissy fit one time for Seek & Destroy, and it's pretty drat great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQjehHvJlQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

symbolic posted:

it's alright

i guarantee that the album won't be as good as the one Megadeth released this year though

Truer words have never been spoken :megadeath:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Secular Humanist posted:

Metallica was awesome until James Hetfield adopted his gruff tobacco farmer persona.

Death Magnetic was *almost* a return to form but they just couldn't resist that pump-up-the-troops redneck horseshit with the first single.
Death Magnetic's return to form was more or less skin deep, but it's an okay record.

It's really sad that people supporting troops makes you mad. The Day That Never Comes isn't really about The Troops anyway, but the video is and I guess Metallica pandering to a huge segment of their modern fanbase works a certain kind of liberal up in a tizzy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bonzo posted:

If you told me this was an unreleased B side from Load or whatever from the late 90s I would have believed you. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that they sound the same.

I'm just now listening to this but as someone who actually listened to Load, this sounds nothing like anything on load so far, and it's almost over.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

symbolic posted:

it's alright

i guarantee that the album won't be as good as the one Megadeth released this year though

I would like Megadeth more if aliens hadn't kidnapped Mustaine and replaced him with some Christian red state weenie

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This actually sounds like they discovered a really old demo from the Kill Em All era. It's not as good as anything on Kill 'Em All, it just sounds like it's from that era but with better recording and james' modern vocal style.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

I would like Megadeth more if aliens hadn't kidnapped Mustaine and replaced him with some Christian red state weenie
i separate the man from the music, so it doesn't bother me

although that does remind me of the time when Mustaine ranted about his guitar tech and then spent like 10 seconds trying to turn off his camera while looking directly at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dgAZqBjuNY

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

symbolic posted:

although that does remind me of the time when Mustaine ranted about his guitar tech and then spent like 10 seconds trying to turn off his camera while looking directly at it

Nice

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

symbolic posted:

yeah the day people rationalize and realize exactly how much of an rear end in a top hat Mustaine is and choose to just base it off the music, they start to like :megadeath: more.

Mustaine person bad, music good.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Not sure about Creeping Death, but Newstead took over vocals when James threw a hissy fit one time for Seek & Destroy, and it's pretty drat great.

he sang seek and destroy during the black album tours, and a good chunk of whiplash too

hemophilia posted:

This actually sounds like they discovered a really old demo from the Kill Em All era. It's not as good as anything on Kill 'Em All, it just sounds like it's from that era but with better recording and james' modern vocal style.

it's almost note-for-note the main riff from the first song on the last album

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 18, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i liked the new single better than anything on death magnetic or st anger

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lars Ulrich is an objectively better human being than Dave Mustaine.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yeah that new song is just some leftover riffs that didn't make it on the last album

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

comes along bort posted:

he sang seek and destroy during the black album tours, and a good chunk of whiplash too

it's almost note-for-note the main riff from the first song on the last album

i dont remember the first song on the last album, but i also don't care. This sounds like 80s thrash so even if they took it note for note, they still took it and turned it into an 80s thrash song, which is entirely possible. iirc enter sandman and king nothing are note for note the same in many places, or just an inversion, but they sound different.

This is clearly Imitation Kill 'Em All and I'll be vindicated by this assessment when they release another single.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That song has more St. Anger than Death Magnetic in it. Take that for what its worth.

I also love a bunch of the riffs on St. Anger even if the songs all suck so I am not unhappy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That song has more St. Anger than Death Magnetic in it. Take that for what its worth.

I also love a bunch of the riffs on St. Anger even if the songs all suck so I am not unhappy.

12 songs over two cds it'll definitely share the 3 minute songs stretched out to 9 aspect with st anger

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A metallica song written in the 21st century that doesnt meander around the same riffs for 8minutes? I was not expecting that.

Lyrically it is garbage (not always James' strong suit but Blackened is the same theme and its significantly more mature) and the title is :lol: but I guess they figured out when a song has run its course this time around instead of just copy/pasting the riffs in protools to pad it out for far too long.

the strobe in the video clip is synced to the drum track in protools and flashes every time they had to correct it :smug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

this is the album cover, lmfao

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the single artwork is even better

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kirk: "hey guys.. my kid has been fiddling around on photoshop and i thought it was cool enough to be the album cover and we also won't have to pay an artist or anything."

James: Yeah this is perfect. It's just the perfect amount of lame and lovely for our dumb nostalgia cash in record and it's your kid's right? This way we don't have to pay an artist.

Lars: I am a lovely bald danish monster. This art is loving fantastic. I love how lame and lovely it is and how we won't need to pay an artist for a real cover or anything

Robert Trujilo: I'm way cooler than everyone else in this band. that's a perfectly lovely image that we won't have to pay for. This is ideal

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i trust that everybody has realized that metallica does not, in fact, own

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

what a silly hat

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Iron Maiden had some worse album covers than that. There was that one that was literally a screenshot taken from Second Life IIRC.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Iron Maiden had some worse album covers than that. There was that one that was literally a screenshot taken from Second Life IIRC.
Dance of Death

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Metallicas new cover is one and a half Herzeleids

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

ROFLburger posted:

i trust that everybody has realized that metallica does not, in fact, own

This album cover discussion is persuasive to say the least. LOL if the dude's kid knocked this out with a pirated version of Photoshop.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

In real thrash news, Demolition Hammer has reformed and they're as ferocious as ever.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
my favorite metallica song is Orion but only at the 4 minute mark onward the first half of the song is well i cant make a jerkoff motion while typing but you know

here i fastforwarded it for your convenience its a lot easier with youtube than it was with my dad's cd player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qrwON1-zE&t=230s

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

In real thrash news, Demolition Hammer has reformed and they're as ferocious as ever.
apparently they played at MDF

really wish i went :smith:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Master of Puppets is a start to finish masterpiece and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Mustaine's biography is a must read. He claims that Belinda Carlisle wanted to date him but when she saw how high he was she backed off.

tl:dr drugs have broken his brain and his dad probably contributed to that.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

p happy with this

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
now they need to go on tour one more time

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

hemophilia posted:

I see someone's been digging into their Crowbar album collection

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lars Ulrich is an objectively better human being than Dave Mustaine.

The relationship between musician and good person between the two is inversely proportional

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

symbolic posted:

Dance of Death

the story to this is funny and sad. the artist sent the band this picture as a mockup to show the layout of what he was going to paint properly later. the band decided that the weird poser mockup was good enough to be the real cover. the artist was horrified and asked for his name to be taken off the credits.

edit: new metallica is decent in its sound, has extremely terrible lyrics. its like they've aged and developed musically in reverse.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FirstPersonShitter posted:

the story to this is funny and sad. the artist sent the band this picture as a mockup to show the layout of what he was going to paint properly later. the band decided that the weird poser mockup was good enough to be the real cover. the artist was horrified and asked for his name to be taken off the credits.
i forgot about that

:laffo:

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
God I hate how lars' drums are mixed on any modern metallica recording. The kick is more of a "CHH" sound. In retrospect the load albums sound fuckin awesome production wise especially compared to this stuff.

Hard to believe Bob Rock did both the Black Album and St Anger lol

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is Lulu the just god awful project they did with Lou Reed or was that something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Any Minneapolis goons going to the concert tomorrow night? I'll be there

• Locked thread