Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The problem with game planning like some fans seem to expect is that a fighter isnt an rpg character. You cant just put effort in at bjj and magically get better than nate or put in some time wrestling and be suddenly able to grind on nate for 5 rounds.

You tweak what youre good at enough to be able to be effective at it by exploiting your opponents weaknesses.

Conors path to victory against Nate is staying outside of his boxing range through the use of kicks to the legs and body and change up often. The problem is like anyone who fights a diaz keeping up the necessary pace is something only a handful of guys have ever been able to do and similarly being able to survive the diaz onslaught when you inevitably get tired and start getting hit.

I fully expect Conor to look fantastic in the first round and start to wilt half way through the second into the third where he'll cop a battering in the latter rounds.

Conors talent has always been giving just enough ground without taking damage to land that kill shot. Even when he wasnt finishing guys he was getting the ascendency in the fight through those talents. Nates jab game is just too good and his unyielding pace and pressure is a bad mix for conor.

Diaz wont just rush in, he doesnt get frustrated on the feet and is content just to stand back a flip you off till he gets his chance to go to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gameplanning for a specific opponent is a good thing not because you change something drastic about your own game, but rather you're better about anticipating and reacting to what your opponent is doing. NFL teams do it every week. Their scout teams imitate the upcoming opponents. They study film to find tendencies and how to exploit them. It's no different in fighting and is what good coaches should be doing with fighters anyways.

I agree but like I said theres only so much a team or a fighter can do to adjust.

I'd rather be working with Nate to better nulify Conors rear hand than working Conor to figure out how we deal with a rangier better boxer in a crossed swords match up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They were willing to call Conor on his poo poo because they had Brock in their back pocket. They didn't fudge any tests. They used the exemption and the time before they announced him to let him get clean to pass USADA. This is why they got so mad at Ariel - if he leaked it before they were ready Brock would get tested and popped or their timing surrounding the exemption would look even more shady and the fight would be off. Brock isn't going to fight again and doesn't want to risk fighting Hunt without his gear so he starts juicing late enough that when he pops it's too late and the PPV and sale are sorted and he's got his however many millions for 15 minutes of laying on a fat guy.

Goddamn you are retarded. When everyone says you're wrong you should probably let it go and stop arguing.

The UFC called Conor on his poo poo because the mantra has always been that no one is bigger than the UFC. They called him on his poo poo because they had Jon jones v Cormier in place as the main event.

There wasn't some exemption for Brock, there simply wasn't a fight signed because they hadn't ironed out the deal with the WWE.

Stop reading into poo poo that obviously has a very straight forward and public reason.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

red19fire posted:

Bisping-like is Conor in his ability to talk poo poo but then be a thin-skinned baby when it's dished back, Joe.

Thats middleweight champion Bisping to you friendo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

It was me who said that about weidman, and no i did not get bullied and pushed into lockers by jocks in high school. I just think weidman has that vibe, as a 30 year old man which is pretty lame. He's also dumb as poo poo.

His brother used to beat the everloving poo poo out of him when he was younger and has spoken in the past about hating bullies and he saved a womans life not that long ago. He also did some cool stuff for a sick kid. He doesn't give off that vibe at all.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I love Conor because he made my friend Nate a whole lotta money.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Poor Chael. What happened

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Less than 3 weeks till we see an amatuer on the main card of the UFC and overeem vs stipe.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bisping will finish Hendo inside two rounds and it'll be cool and good when goons sperg out hard about Michael Bisping being a dick because he'll probably flip Hendo off after the KO and be completely justified in doing it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Did cb dollaway throw anything before Machida exploded his liver?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

a mini-tournament would make the most sense to me. Weidman vs Rockhold 2 on one side of the bracket and Bisping vs Jacare on the other side. Winners fight for the vacant belt, losers fight for the #1 contender so they still have another shot at it anyway. Keep Yoel Romero around as a replacement dude.

I love when they do this because someone inevitably gets injured and they have to pull some chump in to fight instead or one of the fights ends in a draw.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The boner pill medicine excuse will always be funny and i think a lot of fighters miss an opportunity to give their opponent poo poo about being impotent.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Nate got the poo poo beat out of him in that fight and it was pretty obivous, this really should not be a controversial opinion

I think the more accurate opinion would be

Both fighters got the poo poo beat out of them in this fight and both, had overwhelmingly dominant rounds.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Condit is also extremely good at cracking dudes and getting the gently caress outta dodge.

I agree maia is a puzzle but condit is much better at touch butt in the park than matt brown.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I scored rounds 1 to 5 209 motherfuckers

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

On this subject - I just rewatched Maia/Munoz, and Maia had him practically out on his feet in the first from punches on the feet, and Munoz said as much in the post fight interview. I think Maia hits a lot harder than people suspect. It makes you wonder how much worse he'd be loving dudes up if he focused more on GnP.

Rutten was a good fighter with absolutely horrendous takedown defense. When he started fighting MMA in Pancrase he was a kickboxer who had no grappling training at all and was literally learning moves by watching matches that happened earlier on the card than him. He was able to be successful despite this because he was an extremely talented athlete that picked up things very quickly, but he never got particularly good at wrestling.

He's not a joke, but he does have a couple weird opinions that always seem to come out when he's doing announcing, like his belief that no one should ever tap to a straight ankle lock. He's probably responsible for a number of broken feet on people who didn't know better.

My first BJJ coach me it was still a held belief in some bjj circles and he'd broken a bunch of feet in tournaments because of it.

Also people do tend to forget about Franklin's extremely high finishing rate. He only won by decision 4 times in 29 fights. That's kind of insane in itself.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

tumor looking batty posted:

It was all about the money bro

Gsp could sit on his rear end the rest of his life and never worry about money again. If hes coming back its not just about money imo unless he wants generational bucks.

Woodley, wonderboy and maia are good match ups for him, so would a super fight against silva, a super tough, hard to keep down wreslte brawler like robbie isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eat Bum Zen posted:

actually snipers are significantly more detached from the action of killing than infantry

Certain circles believe ptsd is more common in jobs where they were often waiting to be attacked, so people doing check points and patrols etc.

Being the hammer rather than the nail like special teams is more condusive to not having ptsd according to the current shool of thought.

In any event, gently caress tim kennedy. You cant walk off a psychological issue anymore than you can a blown off leg. oval office should shut his trap.

Also im not surprised joe silva has called it quits. I remember reading about how he spent his vacation with his family and it didnt exactly sound fantastic for your quality of life outside work

• Locked thread