Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Today marks a special anniversary in Apple History: it's been 13 years, 3 months, and 5 days since the release of everyone's favorite iPod, The Third Generation Apple iPod.

In this thread, share your favorite memories of The Third Generation Apple iPod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aonh2eaWyvc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I have one of these with a bad hdd in a drawer somewhere...could I stick a cheap ssd in it?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

these days you stick a cf/sd card in http://www.iflash.xyz idk if The Third Generation Apple iPod is compatible though

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

i found my 1st gen shuffle from high school in a box the other day. The thing hasn't been touched (or charged) in at least 10 years but fired right up with some sweet limp bizkit

No idea how it held a charge for that long

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

5th gen ipod best ipod

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you bought one formatted for Windows, you couldn't reformat it to work on a Mac.

the Christmases of innumerable teenagers were ruined that year.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I love the design of the 3rd generation Apple iPod but it's comically bulky by today's standards. I would buy one if it was smaller and had an OLED screen (but keep the same resolution, keep it monochrome, and keep the Chicago typeface)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
iPod nano is the best

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Management posted:

iPod nano is the best

4th gen

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

6th gen best gen. i still use it today

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
loved those dedicated buttons

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Jimmy Carter posted:

if you bought one formatted for Windows, you couldn't reformat it to work on a Mac.

the Christmases of innumerable teenagers were ruined that year.

nobody owned macs in 2003

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

nobody owned macs in 2003

or 2016

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

BANME.sh posted:

I love the design of the 3rd generation Apple iPod but it's comically bulky by today's standards. I would buy one if it was smaller and had an OLED screen (but keep the same resolution, keep it monochrome, and keep the Chicago typeface)

chicago is a great typeface

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

chicago is a great typeface

It's Deece, but not nearly as good as Liberation Sans

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i had the firewire version of that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Smythe posted:

It's Deece, but not nearly as good as Libertarian Sans

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

*carefully inspects quote* What the Hell?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Smythe posted:

*carefully inspects quote* What the Hell?

I'm just picturing a font that somehow conveys "gently caress you, got mine"

seems to go well with early iPods.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm just picturing a font that somehow conveys "gently caress you, got mine"

seems to go well with early iPods.

agreed

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I never had a 3rd gen. bought a 1st gen factory refurbished after the 2nd gen came out from the apple store (you used to be able to actually purchased refurbished goods at the physical apple stores long ago) and then I think I got a 4th get after that. I dunno. my 5th get is still sitting at work and sometimes gets used.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what was the first video one? I've got that. it's good except needs to be plugged in the entire time. imagine if it just one one lightning instead. it would now be worthless

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

good op. love that orange glowing text on the buttons

i had the third gen, it was my first ipod and in my po-dunk midwest high school nobody knew what it was and when i told them an ipod that confused them more

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

echinopsis posted:

imagine if it just one one lightning instead. it would now be worthless

lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Smythe posted:

It's Deece, but not nearly as good as Liberation Sans

sorry, i'm not familiar with that one.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
i loved my 3rd gen ipod, the dedicated buttons ruled and so did having to get a firewire card for my pos pc

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

good op. love that orange glowing text on the buttons

i had the third gen, it was my first ipod and in my po-dunk midwest high school nobody knew what it was and when i told them an ipod that confused them more

same. then all those normies got on board with gen 4. posers didnt even know what firewire was

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my first ipod was a 15 GB gen 3. it had more disk space than the power mac g3 b&w that i hooked it up to (6 gigs), so i had to store my itunes library on a 15 gig drive in a firewire enclosure, which i bought from my physics teacher for 15 dollars ($1/GB). i also bought a usb cd burner from him, which came in handy when my 15 GB gen 3 ipod was stolen by some impoverished hillbilly at my high school. the joke's on him: now i make a sick five figgies and i can buy all the ipods i want on my My Best Buy® Credit Card (powered by Citi). i even get 5% back in rewards, or 12 month interest-free financing - The Choice Is Mine.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

come to think of it i'm pretty sure the guy i suspected of stealing that ipod is now dead of a heroin overdose. looks like i got the last laugh, fucker. i've got several ipods and you've just got a grieving mother who tried her best.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but he's dead, hell yeah, work sucks

who really won that one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

my first ipod was a 15 GB gen 3. it had more disk space than the power mac g3 b&w that i hooked it up to (6 gigs), so i had to store my itunes library on a 15 gig drive in a firewire enclosure, which i bought from my physics teacher for 15 dollars ($1/GB). i also bought a usb cd burner from him, which came in handy when my 15 GB gen 3 ipod was stolen by some impoverished hillbilly at my high school. the joke's on him: now i make a sick five figgies and i can buy all the ipods i want on my My Best Buy® Credit Card (powered by Citi). i even get 5% back in rewards, or 12 month interest-free financing - The Choice Is Mine.

Lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

come to think of it i'm pretty sure the guy i suspected of stealing that ipod is now dead of a heroin overdose. looks like i got the last laugh, fucker. i've got several ipods and you've just got a grieving mother who tried her best.

Werthog is the best poster in this forum

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
I wish my credit card was powered

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i wanted the 3rd with the sweet red button lights but got a nano eventually to replace my lol scale lyra

Smythe posted:

Werthog is the best poster in this forum

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

5th gen ipod best ipod

i agree, i think the click wheel was the best in the end

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i used this ipod until the first iphone came out negative space wheel ftw gently caress click wheels (although the first ipod nano was gorgeous tbf)

poty fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i had a 1st gen nano. i left it in my car and it warped but continued working just fine. i stopped using it when i got an iphone, and it eventually had a battery recall and they sent me a refurbished 6th gen, which i gave to a friend whose ipod was stolen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

poty posted:

i used this ipod until the first iphone came out negative space wheel ftw gently caress click wheels (although the first ipod nano was gorgeous tbf)

I always felt the touch wheel on the third gen was much more accurate than the click wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
why does everyone love the 3rd gen so much when it had separate buttons

sure it's an improvement over ipod / ipod 2 but it wasn't as good as integegrated ipod4 or ipod 5 xtra wide with color

• Locked thread