Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There's a supervillain that fights the Flash who uses rainbows.

But to answer your question: No, they aren't menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Only Euzeth Gozzo could jam together a bunch of unrelated mechs and wind up with something as on-brand and intense as the Adamatron.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm okay with Sanger not having any story, because he's not really built to need one. He yells, he swords, he yells about swords.

Most of The School kids and the non-Kusuha Alpha 2s have stuck around past whatever plot they had, though. And that does bother me. If I'm honest, I don't think I have ever cared about Arado, and now he's not even doing anything.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Earlier people were talking about not liking SRW stories that feel like a military campaign, but I do miss the way you could look at the PTX series and see technology being developed. The Wildschwein is clearly the midway point between Gespenst and Huckebein. Then the Twin Birds got built as a midway between Alt Eisen/Weissritter and Huckebein Mk2. The in-fiction explanation for why there's no new Wildschwein is that it already did what it needed to do.

That said, The Inspectors anime replaced the MP Hucky with an MP Wildschwein; so if they wanted to, the game devs could do that. I suspect nobody feels the need, though.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

But at this point, I think the matter is more that the OG universe hasn't really done much to upgrade the mass-produced side of robot development. Sure, Isurugi rolled out some new Lion models last game, but that was part of the Gaia Sabers' rise to power and what is seen in Moon Dwellers was probably leftover stock from Euzeth's rollout plan. Everywhere else seems to have gone all-in on the one-of-a-kind units or the limited production units, and the need for MP units for the playable roster has kind of stagnated. Hell, Mao Industries has slowly been shoved to the side so other things can take the spotlight. Even if part of the GC plot was to try and market a MP Soulsaber idea to the top brass, the end result seen in the next game is most likely going to be Soulsaber stays and their attempts to get a MP version fall apart for whatever reason.

The interesting thing about the GS is that, discounting Euzeth's secret motives, they're an attempt to "mass produce" the effectiveness of the Steel Dragons with more hybrid army strike-forces. That's a cool concept, and a nice nod to the heroes who have stopped so many alien invasions at this point. But I doubt if the next game will even bother keeping us up-to-date on the Earth government forces, seeing as we'll be heading to space for Alpha 3 and W. Maybe something will come of Team FDX's involvement, but as I recall they use those ridiculous super-custom Gespensts.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

I... What the hell? When did this happen? I knew the brass were being dicks in MD but this is a bit much. They all were very manipulative but not comically sociopathic in 2nd OG so them suddenly turning into the Titans is a disappointment. IIRC only one of the three federation bigwigs was actually somewhat nice (must be part of hanging out with Gilliam) and he had asked Lefina out on a date by the endgame. Not sure what came out of that.

I mean, there's that forgettable side plot about a hostile takeover of the Federation government by hardline warhawks, but that got undone in OGs2 when the Hagane accidentally ran over the ringleader of the conspiracy. Between that and the defeat of the Gaia Sabers, there shouldn't be anyone left to be the Titans.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Literally the only shows I had seen dubbed, prior to jumping on Dragonball Super because dumb nostalgia, were TTGL, Gundam 00, Gaogaigar, Shin Mazinger, and some Getter OVAs. If I ever get bit by the bug again, I'll probably beeline for VOTOMS and more Gundam.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I just don't care about anime teenagers trying to smooch each other. It isn't in me.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Is the Leonisis Varga the most SEED looking Banpresto Original?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'm kind of surprised that we didn't end up getting Albero with, I dunno, AI1 as a subpilot so we could field both MX mecha. Alternately one of the unused F/Final pairings.

I still wonder why we got Giado and Garnet instead of a F/Final couple.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Some discussion of game lore last week got me to check out SeyzerKoze's LP for the first time. On the subject of Ingram Plisken and Kurt Russell:

quote:

It certainly could be, given that in Alpha 3 you have a couple similar characters named Macready (The Thing), and then in 2nd OG there's another one named Barton (Big Trouble in Little China).

:monocle:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've decided that if Katina ever gets the Gab-L, I hope it's a secret with similar requirements to the Free Electron Cannon in 2ndOGs.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hokuto posted:

As it turns out, once you defeat the Federation, your goal becomes putting out your own army's fires from crazy people like Adler Koch and Egret Fehu in time to actually do battle with the Aerogators. Have fun busting into the Earth Cradle the hard way with your Lions.

Hard mode should just be a route split where Shu doesn't join you.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Has the Moon Dwellers encyclopedia been dumped online at all? I know it's all the same information as the standard wikis, I'm just curious.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Pretty good chunk of those are video game originals. Somehow the Bigro that's been "modified" by becoming the head of a Mobile Armor 5 times its size isn't though, that's good ol' MS IGLOO.

Also, gadDAMN that's pretty. That fuckin' Gouf Custom with blood on it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Nintendo has named Bandai-Namco as a Switch developer. Should I hope for SRW or settle for Tales?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Goddammit Imp, why can't you say "I want Neo 2" and let us think happy thoughts? Quit using your powers for evil.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Quicken sounds like it should be the two actions in one turn spell, not extra move spaces.

Edit: You know what? I'm thinking of Final Fantasy's Quick spell. So make Accel 'Haste' if you really need to change it.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 28, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

With this logic we should also use Hagwane and Kurogwane.

What really bothers me is how much of the theme naming tends to get mangled. Guys, it's German. You can look it up.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hokuto posted:

I know it's a bit :filez:, but would anyone happen to know if any kind of raw scans exist for the Record of ATX manga?

I mean, I've read translated scans, so I assume so. Lemme know if you find OG Chronicle.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The best Banpresto original is now Mazin Emperor G, by a wide margin. I hope we get a V2 featuring Mazinger Angels.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I just rewatched it and noticed Seabook sporting his post-Crossbone scar in the F91. Here's hoping he outright replaces the crap guy in the blue F91.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

Nah, chances are fairly high that Harrison Martin will make his return to SRW in this game as well.

Bleh. I just want to believe that Seabook and Judau 'Gray Stork' Ashta will join the Steel 7 instead of some randos.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

There's apparently a goofy callback in SRW V. According to TV Tropes, of all places, Grungust and Huckebien are products of the Nicola Wilhelm Research Labs instead of the Tesla-Reich Institute. The joke is that they're both named for Nicola Tesla and Wilhelm Reich (inventor of Orgone :flashfact: ).

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

That's a bit of a leap. It could just be the third lab.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I asked before, but how many main characters does that Crossange or whatever show have? It could be a hint to platoon size.

According to Dr. Google, it's 7. Have fun with that math.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm partly convinced they brought in Crossbone specifically because they wanted a game with good-rear end battleships alongside the Yamato.

But yes, they end up pulling a 0083 on the Mother Vanguard to preserve canon.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 14, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

6-Arms is also a GGen Original, I believe. It's name is the Titania, and it's basic deal is Paptimus seeing the Qubeley and saying "Yeah, The O definitely needs some of that." Something about him wanting to find a wife too, I think?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Huh. I always figured it was some bullshit pedantry. Like, the Antarctic Treaty only applied to the Principality of Zeon, not neutral colonies or whatever you'd call the Delaz fleet.

For sure the GP-02 on its own doesn't violate the treaty. As long as it never actually fires a nuke, it's golden.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

You think that's nuts, some OG mechs like the Grungust run on Nuclear Pulse Generator. Near as I can work out, that's either meaningless technobabble or they use nuclear fuel for loving internal combustion.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

GilliamYaeger posted:

Depends on when this happens, really. If its still early on and Ryouma just got back from the moon, he might not know jack poo poo about NERV's current operations.

Meaning he'd probably end up stealing the Reiclone and taking her along for the ride.

Throw in Gundam 00 S2 for some hobo-Exia & Black Getter action.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I read the OP for the ADTRW Cross Ange thread. It's seems like a fine, sensible show.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's fine, people in robot cartoons can be exposed to space with no consequences.

Well, not Amuro's dad, or Kamille's mother, but everyone else can.

It's fine.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Aw, you're no fun.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Everyone OYW Story in a nutshell:

"Wow, I am a (Federation/Zeon) Ace Pilot! How convenient that I found a (high tier mobile suit) and happen to be on the vague outside of important events. Oh look, a thematic rival who also has a similar (high tier mobile suit)! We must fight to the death. Fortunately I have my team that contains one older guy (probably blond), one younger guy and a girl (probably redheaded) at my side."

Do you think Amuro would've been as paranoid about being a human target if he knew that there was someone in Federation HQ keeping track of all the prototypes and making sure they didn't meet?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

There is one side story, I forget its name, that stars a bunch of murderers whose job it is to murder corrupt federation officers. It starts with the main guy saying "in war, the good and young die first. Luckily I'm neither of those things". That one stood out at least.

edit: Missing Link, that's it. I expect someone to say "I love it when a plan comes together" at some point.

I had to look this one up. Pretty ballsy, it's a OYW story whose high-tier mobile suit isn't a super-custom GM or a spare Gundam somehow. It's straight up a newer, better suit than the RX-78. If you're looking for it in G Gen, it's the one with the HADES system.

ImpAtom posted:

It's not entirely a new suit, it's an upgraded EXAM System suit. The HADES is just modified EXAM.

Pff. By that logic: the Gouf isn't a new suit, it's just an upgraded Zaku. I think we all know that's not the case.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 1, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

There's a spinoff of Gundam: The Origin about Doan's Island. I can't wait for SRW V2 to feature 40% water stages so Getter 2 and Gundam Marine Type can shine.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Dark History Turn-A was in World and/or Overworld too. It only had two attacks, a basic melee and ranged, but it's stats were supreme.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 8, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Endorph posted:

The kind of otaku that are into giant robots probably aren't also into magical girls, and 4 year old girls probably don't play much strategy RPGs, is probably the logic they're using.

For those who haven't seen this before, it's a breakdown of information about some Precure or another. Including demographics.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Which in turn opens the door to the RX-78-2 Gundam using Super Napalm again.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It wouldn't surprise me if the original intention was that the White Base crew unlocked Newtype powers because their souls stopped being held by gravity and they evolved/enlightened. But as it is now, Newtypes are like every other Young Adult X-Men knockoff where some people are born special for no reason. It is what it is, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Basically, Zeon Zum Deikun's hippie bullshit was right. The vastness of space causes human conciousness to expand, eventually unlocking the potential for telepathic communication.

• Locked thread