Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I know I corrected myself. Either it happened after the video was over, or I've been thrown under the bus by underhanded audio editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Somebody bought me a thing. I hardly recognize myself.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Rirse posted:

Those are neat. Is that Venture Bros version of Nate and Sully?

It's HelloWinter's fanart, but the colorized version she made later

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

You want some dissonance? How about comparing today's Amish to the Radical Reformers they descend from. My wife and I started a history podcast a few months ago, and there's a new episode out today!

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

http://historyhoneys.podbean.com/e/anabaptists/

This time we talk about the Anabaptists, a movement of related Protestant sects dating back to the early days of the Reformation. Are our civil liberties inspired by people who dropped out of the society they protect? How can small communities survive in isolation, and how could they survive without isolation? Why are people living in modernity fascinated by those who chose not to be?

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 13, 2016

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Drake's company can salvage anything... EXCEPT THAT CAMCORDER LP!!

HEYOOO~~~~~

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

All right guys, I just heard some really disheartening things about comments left on DeviousDrake69's channel and that poo poo has to stop. We won't keep making videos like this if people keep acting like assholes over it. Using a camcorder is not a moral failing.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

To note the lived in feel of the house, I bet why that pill bottle is so torn up is that it got left in the laundry accidentaly, as for who in the house needs blood pressure medicine , not sure so it must be working.

I left a pen in my pocket when it went in the laundry and lost 3 shirts I really liked. I am now living the life of an action hero.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Do you like streams? Maybe! Do you like Gex? Probably not! Do you like helping sick and injured children? Of course you do!

The two of us, Voidburger, and my wife will be going through the entire Gex series in a 24-hour stretch this weekend, Saturday morning into Sunday, and collecting donations for Hurley Children's Hospital in Flint, Michigan. Chip and I are from Flint and still have plenty of friends and family living there. This is a chance to help that community care for people in their greatest need. It's also your chance to hang out with us as we are driven into sleepless ecstacy by Dana Gould's sweet one-liners. We're going to have giveaways and other donation incentives, it's gonna be great. You can find even more details and donate at https://gextra.life. Feel free to spread that link around!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Technowolf posted:

The url can't be reached yet.

The forums added the http bit, but it works as just gextra.life. You can also use the much less memorable http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=214807 instead.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 31, 2016

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

The forums added the http bit, but it works as just gextra.life. You can also use the much less memorable http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=214807 instead.

We've been live for almost 12 hours, raised over 17 thousand, and boy are my Gex tired. Please come by and join the fun!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

standard owl posted:

Hey, you know there was at least one new character where everybody else wasn't all, "It's been a while after our long and storied past together, full of interesting anecdotes that will only be alluded to."

Jeff!

That explains why they never went back to it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Gextra Life and my computer exploding means we ran out of backlog. While we get back to it, have some other content in the mean time!

Episode 8: The Magic Kingdom Alaina brings us to the Most Magical Place on Earth, Magic Kingdom Park in the Walt Disney World Resort. We learn about the park's inception and development, and follow a number of notable attractions from opening day to the present. Does the Magic Kingdom have a unique identity, or is it just Disneyland 2? How does something so compelling come from the collision of family passion and profit-seeking? Is there really any hope they'll give us a free vacation for saying mostly nice things?
Supplemental 1: More letters, some outtakes, very cute

Episode 9: Haymarket Grant takes a turn at Chicago tragedy with the Haymarket Affair. In May 1886 a bomb was thrown, igniting a shootout that killed over a dozen people and changed the fight for workers' rights forever. Can equality be gained in a system run by those who profit from inequality? Are the voices of the dead louder than those of the living? While we don't know who started the fight, can we even know who won in the end?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

thechosenone posted:

Is there a place where the Gextralife stream art will be compiled?

http://imgur.com/a/j5Kg2

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Hey folks!

In case you hadn't heard, October's Chipod Ironicast will be recorded with a live audience at the 2nd Annual ValorCon! https://valorcon2016.sched.org/event/8EfJ/chipod-ironicast-live-podcast

I encourage anybody who's in the Chicago area that day to check it out, we'd love to see you. Chip and Voidburger are coming in for a bit of the show, and I'll be there all three days and running some RPG sessions, two of which still have available seats: https://valorcon2016.sched.org/speaker/general_ironicus.1vo4v4g3

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Today's new History Honeys covers, among other things, two pirates that will never rate inclusion in an Uncharted game: http://historyhoneys.podbean.com/e/great-lakes-oddities/
However, one of them was part of a Warehousee 13 episode, so that's something.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Sometimes even people mostly forgotten in popular history rooted out deep-cover assassins and took bricks to the head putting down riots.

Episode 11: John Jay

America's founders have been immortalized, lionized, and mythologized; but one seems to have fallen through the cracks. Grant shares what he's learned about John Jay, the forgotten father. Was he instrumental to the birth of the United States, or did he just happen to be in the right place at the right time? Is he forgotten because he left things half done in his career, or because he used his retirement to rest? Why on Earth is this episode mostly about a horse Alaina made up?

[ed note: An actual Jay scholar has corrected us. The horse was named Hermoso.]

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I called it so hard and I'm still disappointed.

I'm sorry this game is longer than six hours and contains a variety of locations. That must be very hard on you.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

The promise of Paradise killed more pirates than the legitimate navies of Europe ever could.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

ManSedan posted:

Ok maybe this is the place to ask. Why did old timey sailing ships travel to Brazil on their way 'round the Cape? That leg of the trip came up in the Jack Aubrey yarns I've read a few times as well, and googling mostly turns up stuff about the slave trade.
The south branch of the Gulf Stream goes that way. It's also a handy way to profit off the slave trade.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

You don't have to travel to remote locations to find ancient tragedies that lead to supernatural weirdness. Sometimes, it happened in your own backyard!

Haunted Honeys: Chicago Spookums

Welcome to our bone-chilling Halloween special! Alaina teaches us about haunted hotels, haunted graveyards, and other spookum-scarems in the Windy City.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Related to the Honeys podcast, is there any theater (dramatic, not cinema) that isn't haunted by a worker who died during construction? My high school theater had one (I saw it once while closing up) and I've run into similar stories for four other places.

That would be asking me to prove a negative, so I'll have to refer you to Rhetoric Roommates (a spinoff from Philosophy Phriends) instead.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

TheLoser posted:

And here I was hoping for some kind of reference to the best episode of The West Wing.

24:12, talking about the Shoreline goon that left a cigarette butt on the floor

ishikabibble posted:

God dammit Ironicus!

I can never escape the Bill & Ted association with my home town, not even in LPs! San Dimas is an actual real city that's just a boring rear end suburb of Los Angeles and people only know it because of that movie and will always bring it up...

Well now you can think of Uncharted 4!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jIiL9ruJDA

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

He's been calling Sully 'Sullivan' occasionally for the whole game so far (he did it earlier in this very episode) and as dumb as it sounds it's actually been legitimately bothering me.

It's what Sam calls him. Sam is rubbing off on Nate.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I remember this recording night! It turned out pretty cool in the end, so I made a whole episode about it!

Episode 14: The Chicago Cubs
Sometimes, when you're talking about history, it happens right in front of you. Grant takes hold of the one good thing to happen in this God-forsaken year and goes back to the 1870s to see how it all began. Alaina does her best to feign interest. How does a legacy push a team forward; how can it hold them back? What arcane might lies inside goats?

Episode 13: Firsthand Philadelphia
Alaina and Grant return home from Philadelphia and the Wyoming Valley to tell tales of all they learned. Is there a minimum length for a street? Or minimum a width? What DIDN'T Benjamin Franklin do? What's better: a ruin; or a preserve?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Fecha posted:

If not, you can always just record an LP of the Pirates of the Carribean ride.

Hey guys, welcome to my Assassin's Creed stream, coming at you live from the Hall of Presidents.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

George posted:

FDR actually spent some time treasure hunting. Also, I first saw a "second-biggest" gag in Commander Keen 6.

Seriously though, folks should read up on the Oak Island Money Pit, poo poo's wild. Here's two of my friends talking about it for their show: https://www.blurryphotos.org/episode-69-oak-island/

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

Oak Island is a testimony to the stupidity/gullibility of people. Its real cool but also 100% gotta be bullshit because never in the history of history has something like that ever actually happened.
Yeah, that's the wild part. Anything that's ever gone missing, and many things that haven't, have been theorized to be in the hole. My favorite theory is that the original sighting was actually pirates retrieving their treasure, so there was never anything left to find in the first place...

Oh poo poo I have a new theory about this game.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Fecha posted:

On the subject of general C&I discussion, sorry if it's something I missed but do they have plans for covering MGSV?

I'm told there is a notebook full of plans. What there is not, is an ETA.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

While Chip is in the most magical place on Earth, I just put out an episode on some other beloved family entertainment. gently caress Nazis!

Episode 15: The Sound of Music
It's the Holidays, and we'd like to share one of our traditions with you. Alaina tells us about the creation of a classic film, The Sound of Music. First, we delve into the creation of the fictional family Von Trapp, then look at their actual lives which inspired it. How much fidelity is owed to the truth in an adaptation? What lengths would you go to in resisting a fascist takeover? What unexpected benefits come with accepting refugees?

It's also been exactly six months since episode 1! Thank you for all the love and support!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I'm really excited for two of those four, and one I forget entirely!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Its a small pc running an emulator in a recycled case. Very nostalgic.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

You know what else takes a beating and keeps running? These segues!

Episode 16: The Battle of Michigan Avenue

In 1968, the Democratic Party nominated a loyal member of the party leadership that did not reflect their members' views and could not present a compelling vision of the future. Meanwhile, prophesies of civil unrest became self-fulfilling as protests provoked a police riot miles away from the convention itself. What sort of protest makes the most change? How do you make leaders listen? Does democracy end on election day?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Shame. I was curious where things were going to go, but now... much less invested.

I'm sorry the fiction was extra fictional this time.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Box-shaped robot buddy :3:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

The first post-apocalypse novel has a surprising story behind it, and is briefly touched on in this episode about two other interesting stories.

Episode 17: A Look Back at ‘16
Happy New Year! Our New Year's special has two topics for you. First, Grant takes us back to 1816, the Year Without a Summer, to tell the story behind the story of Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus. Next, Alaina pops into 1916 to share the foundations and highlights of Dada. How does a geological event on one small island shape all of Western culture? If art is created by war, can art go to war?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

All this travel is fun but waaaay too difficult. I want simulacra of interesting places put all together.

Episode 18: EPCOT
Alaina continues her Disney Parks series with an episode on Walt Disney World Resort's second gate: Epcot. Walt Disney's original idea for all that Florida land was a planned city so unique that the world would come to see how his people lived and worked. After his death, some of those ideas, and the name, were recycled to be a theme park that serves as a permanent World's Fair. Is high modernism the path to despotism? Even so, could it have worked? How can you hit a forever-moving target: the future? Who needs rides when you can visit 11 themed gift shops and drink?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Sorry! I've been holding up the final stretch and I take full responsibility for this break. Everything but the final video has commentary recorded though and is just waiting for that audio to be edited. Speaking of, Chip's told me that the last 4 Chipod Ironicasts will be coming soon, posted back-to-back.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

The final video is big enough that I had to bring on another commentator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Sully's not the only crotchety old thief around!

Episode 19: Stan Lee!

Face front, True Believers! Grant takes us through the life and career of every nerd's grandpa, Stan Lee! From humble beginnings as a teenage office assistant, to luminary of the field, to midlife crisis, to global celebrity! His talent, bluster, and talent for bluster carried him through it all. Who deserves credit for a collaboration? Which characters were really being sold? What is the value of a figurehead that has no contact with the rest of the ship? Excelsior!

• Locked thread