Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

I'm fairly sure that it was cheaply available from a costumier. It was reused five years later in Buffy.

No, actually if I recall correctly, they spent a lot of time and effort to make N'grath work, but they just didn't have the technology/budget to do it justice. I wish they had just used more smoke or mist to hide the lower body, because the upper was so drat cool and would have been a great recurring character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Hard to make an encounter suit that doesn't interfere with showing expressions. I doubt it's a coincidence that B5 only used it for the mysterious aliens with unknowable thoughts, and for the black market insect that's basically a just vending machine for illegal stuff.

I feel like that's an opportunity as much as it is a problem. Write it into the script! Let the main characters complain to one another about not being able to read the guy in the suit. I think that sort of thing, done to a certain degree, helps make the world feel real.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I feel like that's an opportunity as much as it is a problem. Write it into the script! Let the main characters complain to one another about not being able to read the guy in the suit. I think that sort of thing, done to a certain degree, helps make the world feel real.

Well that's basically what they did for Kosh and it's fine there, but it's not like they could replace G'Kar with a spacesuit where people wonder if he's sad inside it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Would've been great if it worked both ways, they complain about inscrutably cloaked aliens in encounter suits and the suited alien complains that like, the translator orb can't transmit pheromones so everyone's just as hard to read on his end.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I endorse this notion entirely.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Re-watching the remastered HBO episodes for the first time in 10+ years and it's really hitting hard how many of those actors are no longer with us. Scenes with 4-5 characters and you'll just realize, they're all gone. Michael O'Hare was an incredible actor.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I don’t remember how I wiki-rabbit holed my way to the page of the wiki devoted to abandoned scripts and rejected episode ideas but I am so glad I did because lol @:

quote:

"He is Captain Jack Carr of the Earth Alliance; his female Russian second in command is Commander Dylan (a human version of Delenn, played by Mira without makeup), and his security chief is Len (the human version of Londo, played by Peter without makeup). They don't believe his story that this is a dream...neither do the various ambassadors, Minbari ambassador Sherdinn, Narn ambassador S'san, or Centauri ambassador Garabaldo...The only constant in the real world and the dream world is Kosh, who may hold the secret G'Kar needs to heal himself and break out of his dream existence."
The proposed season two episode would have centered around G'Kar in a "healing coma", a Narn way of dealing with the disease. His dream is populated by people he knows in real life, but all are in very different roles. The episode ultimately went undeveloped as the network felt that viewers would be "too confused."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CaptainPsyko posted:

I don’t remember how I wiki-rabbit holed my way to the page of the wiki devoted to abandoned scripts and rejected episode ideas but I am so glad I did because lol @:

Aww, that sounds like it could've been a lot of fun shuffling the roles around for an episode :allears:.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That sounds incredibly wild, but honestly I'm not sure how jarring it'd be to see Katsulas and Jurasik playing humans, on Babylon 5.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Sounds similar to DS9's Far beyond the stars. Same premise (fever dream altered reality, mostly focusing on regular cast being humans without makeup) but different tonality (DS9 episode was about racism).
I guess there are more shows that explored such a premise, in a dream or alternate reality (sg1 being one of these but its later) but I don't know one that aired before ds9

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Rappaport posted:

That sounds incredibly wild, but honestly I'm not sure how jarring it'd be to see Katsulas and Jurasik playing humans, on Babylon 5.
It probably fell apart when Jurasik realized saying "Mr. Garabaldo" wouldn't help get him into character.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That would've been better than some of the episodes we got.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Unlike with DS9, you would be hard pressed to find enough cast members to do a script read-through for charity or anything. :smith:

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

CaptainPsyko posted:

im lord reefer garabaldo and this is my favorite hypnobongery on Babylon 5!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unlike with DS9, you would be hard pressed to find enough cast members to do a script read-through for charity or anything. :smith:

You could reassemble all the phonemes from the episodes, but it wouldn't be the same at all.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have Ardwight Chamberlain do all the voices, on the grounds that “we are all Kosh.”

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm not sure Jerry Doyle would have quite been able to pull off a flamboyant Centauri, accent and all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dirty posted:

I'm not sure Jerry Doyle would have quite been able to pull off a flamboyant Centauri, accent and all.

Isn't there a scene where Garibaldi did try to do an impression of Londo?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Londo was the only Centauri with an accent though, wasn't he?

Which, lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Which, lol

I'm thinking it was sorta the difference between a posh accent and a cockney accent, especially since Londo was a bit of a traditionalist when it came to status

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It depends on what you mean by "accent." Refa had a more subtle version similar to Londo's, and so I think did the guy he killed in a duel. There were some ministers of this or that in the royal court who had more like English accents.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Which, lol

A couple of others tried doing his accent, such as Refa and his fencing buddy, but it's usually toned down compared to Londo's.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Certainly the only one who apparently got the memo that "Centauri should sound like Romanian provincial lords" or whatever

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

A couple of others tried doing his accent, such as Refa and his fencing buddy, but it's usually toned down compared to Londo's.

Both Mariel and Adira put on an accent as well. On the other foot, I'm not going to fret over an entire planet of people not sharing the same accent because I have the example of the one I'm sitting on. Maybe Londo and his friends and family are from Space Yorkshire and the others are from Space New York.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I really think they missed out on not having Brian Blessed on the show as a Centauri who gets in a shouting match with Draal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dirty posted:

As much as he personally was a dick, by all reports he took acting very seriously as a trade skill, I have no reason to think he couldn't do it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today, as I start season 5 for the first time: I just met Byron and I feel powerful incel energy from this man

e: maybe not incel energy but he’s definitely been given noogies before and been inside lockers

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 11, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today, as I start season 5 for the first time: I just met Byron and I feel powerful incel energy from this man

e: maybe not incel energy but he’s definitely been given noogies before and been inside lockers

That's why his hair is so big. Self defense mechanism vs noogies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just bear in mind as you trudge through his very, very weak-rear end performance: This was, effectively, Robin Atkin Downes' first role in anything, ever, and so he was in completely over his head.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It would help if I liked literally any of the non-Bester telepath plotlines because I really really don’t. They don’t cohere with the worldbuilding and feel like they’re from another show entirely.

e: To elaborate as I'm at a laptop now, the telepaths are never mentioned whenever they're not around, no one takes defensive action against them at any point (EVEN DURING THE WAR jesus do they not care about big leaders getting mindwiped or whatever), and toss in my own personal dislike of telepath plotlines and welp!

Bester gets a free pass because he's the third most charismatic person on the show, and he genuinely owns.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 11, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, there's never going to be a telepath around in a scene that isn't about the telepath. We're told that they're commonly kept around for negotiations and various other purposes, but there's never a moment when they go "hey, go get a telepath so we can trust these negotiations". They're not really sold as an integral part of the world.

We're also told that most races aside from the Narn have telepaths, but the only alien psychics we see are some Centauri mystics, which seems like a different thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, there's never going to be a telepath around in a scene that isn't about the telepath. We're told that they're commonly kept around for negotiations and various other purposes, but there's never a moment when they go "hey, go get a telepath so we can trust these negotiations". They're not really sold as an integral part of the world.

We're also told that most races aside from the Narn have telepaths, but the only alien psychics we see are some Centauri mystics, which seems like a different thing.

Vir gets absolutely hosed up by a Centauri telepath during the whole Refa debacle. But yeah the rest of this is true, we don't see telepaths...basically ever?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are some Minbari telepaths at various points in season 3, and of course the Vorlons. But yeah, telepaths are underdeveloped. Chalk it up to limits on what could fit in 110 episodes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure we see Minbari and Centauri telepaths. If nowhere else then that episode where a young human telepath has to decide whether to go to Psi Corps or not.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

We see Minbari telepaths in several memorable scenes, especially one with Bester in it as well.

Harriman Grey isn't really a main character in Eyes, and he does fall into the "go get a telepath" category. And the Lumati Paul Williams plays is almost certainly a telepath and not central to his episode. And while telepaths do seem to be used for commercial negotiations (we see both Talia and Lyta doing this sort of work), it doesn't seem to be very frequent, and I'm unsure why most business people would meet on B5 instead of somewhere else. We do see the Centauri Emperor travels with telepaths (not mystics), and Lord Refa does as well (based on And the Rock Cried Out...), but it doesn't seem to be common.

It is unclear how common telepathy is in the various peoples. The B5 Encyclopedia Online claims that telepathy in humans occurs in about 1 in 10,000, or .01% of the population. Besides the Narns, we know nothing about telepaths in other races. We also don't know the total human population: if it is 50 billion, then we'd expect 5 million telepaths, although of those some will be unregistered and others will be on the sleepers.

Then again, we don't see more than a fraction of the 250,000 B5 residents, so we're getting a skewed picture. (As an interesting aside, I wonder how many B5 residents appear across the five seasons of the show, counting both speaking parts and extras.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure we see Minbari and Centauri telepaths. If nowhere else then that episode where a young human telepath has to decide whether to go to Psi Corps or not.

That's not disproving the assertion that we only see telepaths when telepaths are relevant.

That said, they boxed themselves in badly when they decided that there's apparently so little call for psi services that a business station with 250,000 people on it only needs one human telepath stationed there. And as humans are the only race whose telepaths wear an obvious marker, that would mean any time they wanted to show an obvious telepath for non-relevant reasons they'd have to pay Andrea Thompson's episode rate instead of putting a badge on an extra.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always thought it was a missed opportunity that Byron's group was all human. It would have been interesting to get some perspective on how the other governments treat their telepaths, and would make it feel more like a reaction to the ISA's formation - now you've got an interstellar government, you start to get pan-species activist groups and alliances emerging in response.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I always thought it was a missed opportunity that Byron's group was all human. It would have been interesting to get some perspective on how the other governments treat their telepaths, and would make it feel more like a reaction to the ISA's formation - now you've got an interstellar government, you start to get pan-species activist groups and alliances emerging in response.

Byron's group was all human because everyone else respects and honours their telepaths. It's only humans who put them in a box.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

That's not disproving the assertion that we only see telepaths when telepaths are relevant.

That said, they boxed themselves in badly when they decided that there's apparently so little call for psi services that a business station with 250,000 people on it only needs one human telepath stationed there. And as humans are the only race whose telepaths wear an obvious marker, that would mean any time they wanted to show an obvious telepath for non-relevant reasons they'd have to pay Andrea Thompson's episode rate instead of putting a badge on an extra.

Actually, we could have seen thousands of telepaths pass by on screen who weren’t relevant to the story. In the absence of Psi Corps markings, nothing visually distinguishes a telepath from anyone else. We know the Underground Railroad for unregistered human telepaths ran thru B5, and none of the other races mark their telepaths, so any non-Narn extra on screen could be a non-relevant telepath.

But because our only way to positively identify a telepath aside from the Corps badge is when they do telepath-things on screen, the only telepaths that can be proved to be telepaths are the story-relevant ones.

Maybe most business-people doing business on B5 are non-human and employ non-human telepaths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It would have been awesome if they put little details in the background like a woman turning around and slapping a guy who hasn’t said anything or two people walking up to each other, not talking then nodding and walking away. But I’m sure they had way more things to worry about than that in production.