Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

Or you think about Richard Biggs, who had some pretty severe hearing difficulties and yet gave fantastic performances time after time. For all the talk of a Babylon curse affecting the fictional station, it certain seems that there wasone hanging around the cast and production, too.

Biggs was almost entirely deaf during filming for the show if I remember right. You can see him watching people's lips to see when he needs to do his line throughout the first season (after which point they figure out blocking and closeups better; everybody has more closeups from that point on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Also I'm getting the impression that Netter is a world-class douchebag. He wrote himself into the show as an offscreen General? :psyduck:

Netter is the president who gets blown up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The biggest obstacle to me rewatching Babylon 5 is finding my DVDs in storage because apparently the streaming rights lapsed from Netflix 4 or 5 years ago and the show has never returned since to any service.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eyud posted:

It's on iTunes if you don't mind buying it again ($20/season or $70 for all five).

I'm not that lazy.

I am however watching the Gathering and my mind blanked out so, so many things. The biggest being Delenn's horrendous makeup job and ending with whatever the hell this is supposed to be:

You can tell the Babylon 5 prop department was truly a fly by night operation what with the repurposed roller coaster seats.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Say what you will about Sinclair having the personality of a doorstop but O'Hare definitely played the manic taunter in Infection pretty well. It's really one of the better early season episodes though McCallum really doesn't put forth much effort into his guest spot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm rewatching the series and really, the only two absolute stinkers in the first season are Believers and TKO. And even TKO is only half the episode dealing with the martial arts crap, the stuff dealing with Ivanova sitting shiva is important to character development.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
S1 doesn't actually have a lot of G'kar or Londo come to think of it. G'kar is only in 11 episodes and Londo in 14. Season 2 gives them vastly more time on screen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Finally got up to the point where Katsulas and the guy who was runner up to getting his role (W. Morgan Sheppard) meet each other on the show. It's strange to think that the guy who played the Soul Hunter in the second episode could have been G'Kar.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Same, I gotta know.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Please tell me Elon Musk is in your circle of friends so we can finally get the drat remaster after he loves it and shovels 100 million to WB or whoever.

Considering how primitive the visuals are I'm surprised they haven't just contracted it out to a college for graphics design/animation courses.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dirty posted:

That really doesn't sound like a remaster we'd like.

You'd be surprised. This is by one guy (for the most part) and it's pretty decent looking.

https://vimeo.com/108650530

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've owned the various season box sets for at least half a decade and I still haven't seen Season 5.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

So I tried Zima for the first time today. It was poo poo.

Probably because the last Zima produced was made in like 2008.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Platonicsolid posted:

"President Trump signed a decree today declaring marshal law..."

It's martial law, unless you want a clone army of Tommy Lee Jones controlling the judiciary.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Babylon station is never a civilian station; it's always been a military outpost foremost and a diplomatic/free port after that. :psyduck:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

neongrey posted:

Isn't that her natural accent?

She didn't speak English before she started work on Babylon 5, IIRC.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The problem with the Boxleitner acting is a lot of scenes he comes off a bit psychotic (which works towards the end) because he's saying his lines with half a smile on his face. O'Hare when he was pissed/delusional from torture was a bit more terrifying.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I saw Arena while drinking on Netflix at least 4 or 5 years ago; it's an amazing movie for shooting the poo poo with friends about.

If I recall correctly they were hoping it would take off and become a new Star Wars-type success.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The biggest plot point that comes out of The Gathering that you don't see in the regular show (except in maybe one flashback?) is There is a hole in your mind.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
No, I meant that specific line/scene, not the whole plot line.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Pretty sure every sudden 2 digit post count this thread has seen was a result of an actor death.

There was also that secret symbol easter egg; that was good for a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Narsham posted:

Some actors rely a lot on directors, especially if they're uncomfortable with their role, and some don't. I think much of the "bad acting" in the early part of the show is down to actors getting little or no help from their directors. Try watching S1 performances from episode to episode tracking the director and you'll see some interesting variation.

Compton appears to have been more interested in action and effects than in characterization, and he directed "The Gathering".

Season 1 is really the only time you can sort of notice that Biggs is deaf, because the shot framing has him staring to the other actors mouths very often. Once you get to the second season they don't frame him with other actors, they'll switch cameras instead.

Also tidbit: JMS hated Jerry Doyle's habits of putting his hand in his pockets because it hosed with continuity and caused reshoots, so he ended up giving him uniforms without pockets. Doyle responded to this by punching his fists through the sitched seams and driving the costumers crazy.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 20, 2017