Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
While I always liked this show, I actually drop/lost track of it somewhere in season 4 as it originally aired. I caught a few episodes here and there but never completed it. I recently did a full watch.

Show’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

People need to stop thinking of Londo as someone who chose his direction. He did at first, but past a point he was propelled by momentum. If he had tried to stop, Refa would have had him killed and done it anyway. Think of him as a man on a horse. He starts out riding sedately and it's all good. The horse goes into trot without direction and it's a bit bumpy, but he can roll with it. Then it goes nuts and breaks into a gallop, going any way it wants, and all he can do is hold on and maybe try to bring it back under control because if he tries to get off, he'll break his neck.
I don't think this is right. You could argue Londo was propelled by momentum during the Shadow War, but when Season 5 comes around and the Centauri are again under fire, his attitude is essentially the same. He was given ample and repeated opportunities throughout the series to turn away, and in nearly all the instances he seemed to fully understand the dilemma yet proceeded regardless. If he didn't "chose" his direction, it's because he willingly abdicated his choice in service of his vision of The Centauri Republic. Londo is a genuine patriot and nationalist and in it's purist form that is all but nihilist.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

You guys seriously don't think that ren fest geeks given the technology would be like that?

So Marcus is a theatre geek with special forces training and Technomages are ren faire geeks with nanotech access.

That tracks.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
In other news, having finished a complete watch for the first time and feeling an itch for more, I went through all the movies (mostly good) and Crusade (mostly bad) and now I’m on another rewatch. Just finished The War Prayer.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

McCloud posted:

Why didn't Marcus just get 4-5 other people and then have everyone donate a little bit of life to Susan instead of cranking it up to MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Because then it wouldn’t have been him saving her, it would have been the others. This way, when he drains his entire life force and dies, Ivonova will realize how much he’s sacrificed and they’ll live happily ever after he wakes up from draining his entire life force and...wait...what...wait, oh poo poo wait, is the machine on? somebody turn off the machine I need to rethink///***

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

So I'm after watching Deconstruction of Falling Stars and I have one small question. When the Nazi propaganda guy made holograms of the crew for his video, why exactly did he make accurate representations of them if he just overrides their personalities to make them say or do what he wants to anyways? Especially when you consider that making an accurate hologram of Garibaldi led to a nuclear war.
Fox News has one of the most accurate and reliable fact checking departments in the business. The reason is that you have to know exactly what the truth is in order to tell the best untruths that fall just short of being lies so you can avoid being sued for libel and slander.

The nazi guy needed to know what the command staff knew and how they would act in order to properly manipulate it for the official record and narrative.

Garibaldi was just the narrative getting away from them.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The avalanche line always stuck with me as a metaphor for the entire series, so on my rewatch I was genuinely surprised it happened so early and in such a one-off episode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've always thought it one of the better episodes of season 1. If nothing else it does an incredible job demonstrating the cultural values of the major races because they all refuse to get involved for a different reason. The Narn practice brutally pragmatic realpolitik, the Centauri don't care until they're paid to care, the Minbari say it's not their place to decode what is right or wrong for someone else, and the Vorlons are enigmatic fuckers.

It’s a good episode, but it doesn’t really move the series-wide plot, which in some ways actually makes it the perfect episode to drop the line; it’s purely thematic.

In other words:

CainFortea posted:

I think it works on both levels, which is very Kosh.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
“I found myself remembering the day in kindergarten when the teachers showed us Dumbo, and I realized for the first time that all the kids in the class, even the bullies, rooted for Dumbo, against Dumbo’s tormentors. Invariably they laughed and cheered, both when Dumbo succeeded and when bad things happened to his enemies. But they’re you, I thought to myself. How did they not know? They didn’t know. It was astounding, an astounding truth. Everyone thought they were Dumbo.”

~ Elif Batuman, The Idiot

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
You people are hosed up. Perhaps if you followed the purple you be on the winning side.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Green rules, purple drools.

Nice avatar color.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I’ve been binging through a bunch of shows in this last pandemic hell-year and there are a lot of ways, both good and bad, to end a show.

I think one of the things that really separates B5 is how they managed not just to stick the landing on the finale, but narratively and emotionally bring the entire series to a proper close. The last three, maybe four episodes are all of a piece that basically lets you emerge from the show without getting the bends.

It really lets everything sink in. It lets the viewer breathe.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, I think Deconstruction of Falling Stars really helped in setting up the ultimate finale. It kind of set the mood.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The president of the CW kept Nikita on the air for 4 seasons just because he liked it.

And Superman & Lois has good production values. They could pull it off.

Story-wise, I really don't think they need a reboot or reimagining; The Deconstruction of Falling Stars covers enough time that they could easily fit a new arc in between any one of those vignettes. Start with the medieval segment and go full A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

CainFortea posted:

"Why is it so...blocky?"
"The vorlons have been around a long time, even their ships are retro"
Ulkesh shows up with a modern CGI ship
"Kosh was....a giant nerd"

Kosh is the Worf of Vorlons.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

I always thought it was weird as poo poo that Vir's reports about his diplomatic mission were supposed to be re-written to portray the Minbari as lazy and decadent. Even from a "spy" aspect of diplomats you'd want as accurate information as possible.

I suppose the novelty of finally having a Minbari based diplomat and reading the reports was more of a "lol those weird foreigners" to the Centuri nobility rather then any sense of spycraft.

It's because it was the Centauri who were lazy and decadent.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I just finished Season 3 Episode 22 Z'Ha'Dum , drat that was good and this new opening is different with everyone saying something is cool and good. I'm now on Season 4.

G'Kar's final monologue is absolutely killer. I think it was played at Andreas Katsulas' funeral.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdKcJH9ONqk

These are the dumbest motherfuckers this planet has ever produced.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

not giving the comicsgater clicks thx

You are wise than I.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey, related to recent discussion. I think this is the first time I've seen JMS explain part of Lady Morella's prophecy.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1685108066759643136

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yes, the galaxy burned, but on the other hand we got Vir’s 👋 scene so it was a net positive.

This is really interesting because the wave is Vir's answer to Morden's "What do you want?" So Vir also surrendered to his rage and need for revenge, thus damning Centauri Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_5aBnMHwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I didn't mean to suggest either Vir or Morden had direct influence on what happened, rather that Morden's offer and Vir's response operated on the Ancient Greek prophetic level.