Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best dog race
Lab
Bulldog
Retreiver
German shepherd
Beagle
Poodle
Collie
Yorkie
Boxer
Rott
Dash
poo poo on sue
Chiwawa (?!)
Husky
Cat
Spaniel
Pug
Bull terrier
Great dane
Doobieman
Sheepdog
Eddie from Fraser
Corgi
Whatever lassie is
Other pls state
View Results

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The biggest dog i've seen in person was a half-wolf dog a friend had back in the day. Her name was Bear, was 8 years old and all bark and no bite, but still scary as gently caress in old age, and she was like 1/2 the size of that loving thing.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
The problem with a lot of dogs is that people don't research them beforehand. Yes, Malamutes are big loves, but they shed every hair twice a year, can be destructive, and like to fight. Rough collies--the Lassie kind--are wonderful with families because they have a lot of energy and can handle kids. They also shed. German Shepherds are great IF you can find a good breeder. They shed constantly, so your house will be carpeted in smelly, oily fur. Dalmatians are the same. Dobermanns are wonderful so long as you get one from a reputable breeder. They're big softies and will love you to death. Little dogs are lovely because their people let them be that way. If they are trained, they're just as good as a bigger dog. If you're in a little apartment, they work because they get their exercise running around the place. Labs are generally pretty good, but again make sure the breeder is reputable and not 'hey, let's breed our dogs and sell puppies'.

Reputable breeders sink a fortune into all kinds of genetic testing. You know what you're getting into. Sadly, you don't always know with mutts. A friend's German Shepherd with horribly dysplastic hips bred a husky. The puppies were cute, but the health problems facing them down the road are going to be hell.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Most of those health problems are caused by breeders and dog snobs are the worst type of loving people who enable poo poo like puppy mills.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mutts trump actual breed dogs on basically every level. "Find a good breeder" is useless advice to a huge chunk of the population who cannot afford the luxury. Saying "this dog is good if you get it from someone who is doing more than churning out inbred mistakes to sell at $5000 a litter" is bad advice. A dog with a pedigree from someone who isn't a terrible person is not something you can just do with a shitload of money laying around to spend on a loving pet lol.

For example, every dalmatian I've ever met has been a monstrous rear end in a top hat, I haven't met a pug that wasn't wearing a diaper and wheezing after 5 years of life. Pitbulls are generally ticking time bombs that will explode and eat their owner's children.

Breed dogs have tons of kinks and problems, and it's really not worth it.

The closest thing to a breed i casually endorse is a texas heeler for that reason. half way to being a mutt and has a temperament that can endure bad breeders and bad owners and bad circumstances a lot better than an old world breed that casually develops a genetic disease that cripples you financially around the time you bond to it and care whether it lives or dies. gently caress that! Mutts! Mutts for everyone!

Akkabar Abdul
Jan 31, 2006
Camel Rider

Hahaha oh my god thats great, thanks for making that. You had my whole household cracking up.

Akkabar Abdul fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 14, 2016

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

kelpie x koolie is the best dog followed by the border collie
thats what my dogs are so there

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My dog has a fever and I worry maybe she's going to die soon

gently caress you god for making dogs have 10 year lifespans :argh:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

look at my puppy dogs they are clearly the Best Dog

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
My goal in life is to start dying slowly of exposure on the side of a blistering cold mountain, and as the light fades I see a dutiful St. Bernard bounding through the snow at me, a barrel full of whiskey bouncing at its neck. That way I can get good and shitfaced as I continue freezing to death

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

hemophilia posted:

Mutts trump actual breed dogs on basically every level. "Find a good breeder" is useless advice to a huge chunk of the population who cannot afford the luxury. Saying "this dog is good if you get it from someone who is doing more than churning out inbred mistakes to sell at $5000 a litter" is bad advice. A dog with a pedigree from someone who isn't a terrible person is not something you can just do with a shitload of money laying around to spend on a loving pet lol.

For example, every dalmatian I've ever met has been a monstrous rear end in a top hat, I haven't met a pug that wasn't wearing a diaper and wheezing after 5 years of life. Pitbulls are generally ticking time bombs that will explode and eat their owner's children.

Breed dogs have tons of kinks and problems, and it's really not worth it.

The closest thing to a breed i casually endorse is a texas heeler for that reason. half way to being a mutt and has a temperament that can endure bad breeders and bad owners and bad circumstances a lot better than an old world breed that casually develops a genetic disease that cripples you financially around the time you bond to it and care whether it lives or dies. gently caress that! Mutts! Mutts for everyone!

You can pay for a puppy, have a good idea of any health issues, or you can get a mutt and go into it blindly. How much do you think a dog from parents with bad hips/elbows/eyes is going to cost you over the years?

Most of the purebred problems can be traced to puppy mills run by people who are only in it for the money. There are truly horrible people out there who have no business raising houseplants, let alone puppies. They give everyone a bad name and make a mess the responsible people have to clean up.

The best compromise--breed rescue. People get a puppy, don't understand that it will grow/shed/tear up the house because it is bored, and breed rescue gets involved. This dog was a rescue after her people got divorced:

She became my service dog. We lost her to a brain aneurism when she was 15 1/2.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

error1 posted:

My dog has a fever and I worry maybe she's going to die soon

gently caress you god for making dogs have 10 year lifespans :argh:

It's the folly of man that we bond to pets as if they're family, don't drag God into it.

(I'm sincerely sorry your dog's old and sick, it's scary & sad when your dog is ill and you know its near the end of its life)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

You can pay for a puppy, have a good idea of any health issues, or you can get a mutt and go into it blindly. How much do you think a dog from parents with bad hips/elbows/eyes is going to cost you over the years?

Most of the purebred problems can be traced to puppy mills run by people who are only in it for the money. There are truly horrible people out there who have no business raising houseplants, let alone puppies. They give everyone a bad name and make a mess the responsible people have to clean up.

The best compromise--breed rescue. People get a puppy, don't understand that it will grow/shed/tear up the house because it is bored, and breed rescue gets involved. This dog was a rescue after her people got divorced:

She became my service dog. We lost her to a brain aneurism when she was 15 1/2.

A mutt is way less likely to have recessive genetic disorders, but having a working knowledge of common breeds and their problems can help you head off potential hip problems and stuff, but I'm just saying that doling out premium animal acquisition advice isn't useful. I don't wanna be a jerk but i want people avoiding breeds generally because it feeds the demand for those mills.

People who need a working dog or a service dog, fine, but people looking for a pet really don't need to be drawn into the world of breeds, and people who are involved in the showdog circuit can gently caress off forever!!

Rescuing dogs is always good where you can do that, I agree with that though.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
samoyed

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Weimaraners are the best dog if you train them strictly and thoroughly when they're young. I can imagine if you don't do this they might actually be the worst dogs though

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
Khazar-khum and hemophilia need to agree to disagree. You both have very valid opinions.

I enjoyed having two retired racing greyhounds, who were brothers from the same litter, for 8 years. From 4 years to 12, we really rocked it.

When a greyhound looks into your eyes, you identify an old soul. They are sighthounds and have an intelligence beyond belief. And they sleep, and sleep, and keep on sleeping. Doggie furniture.

After they passed, I moved on. Now I have a silver lab I got as a puppy, and a rescue who was a turn-in by a crack whore to a humane society thrift store. I can't make this poo poo up.

So what is the best dog breed? I could write and write and write about my lab and my crack whore dog rescue. But in the end, the best thing is about how they are loved, they are healthy, they are taken care of by an amazing vet. I have enough money to do whatever we need.

It's a struggle to debate whether you don't have the resources to adopt a dog, versus them dieing and being thrown into a landfill.

A better option: get a cat.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Op should get a Giant Schnauzer

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Microwaves Mom posted:

I don't even see Irish Wolfhound on the list. shameful list.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Border Collie
Re:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXM-5j9NDDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wHs4Ua_obs

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Carmant posted:

Huskies or herding dogs are best

A shetland sheep dog tried to "herd" me one. By biting me behind the knee deeply.

No, herding doges are not the best.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Rescuing dogs is always good where you can do that, I agree with that though.

My favorite local charity:
http://pflu.org/adoptions/available-dogs/

I am seriously considering leaving most of my earthly crap to them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

wiener dog

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Cartouche posted:

A shetland sheep dog tried to "herd" me one. By biting me behind the knee deeply.

A trained herding dog won't bite. Hell even one that is just doing it by instinct will normally attempt to body bounce you in the direction they want you before snapping, and the snapping is just supposed to be for effect, not a real bite. Your issue wasn't herd dog it was bad dog.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Cartouche posted:

That's because you were walking in the wrong direction, idiot. Do better next time.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Keep your hands and arms inside of where the herd dog wants them at all times, and promptly follow any instructions by your herd dog. These rules are here for your own safety. :colbert:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This thread is lacking in both gifs and the right opinion. Here are some gifs of the best dogs ever created (Corgis).

Jukeboxblues fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 14, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jukeboxblues posted:

This thread is lacking in both gifs and the right opinion. Here are some gifs of the best dogs ever created (Corgis).

nice gifs

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

thanks nerd

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

zakharov posted:

The actual best dogs are Greyhounds. They run like crazy for like 20 minutes and spend the rest of the day napping on your couch.

Garcin posted:

I enjoyed having two retired racing greyhounds, who were brothers from the same litter, for 8 years. From 4 years to 12, we really rocked it.

When a greyhound looks into your eyes, you identify an old soul. They are sighthounds and have an intelligence beyond belief. And they sleep, and sleep, and keep on sleeping. Doggie furniture.

Much motherfucking greyhound love! :woop:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

feld posted:

Op should get a Giant Schnauzer

We had one of those when I was a teenager - stubbornest goddamn dog I've ever seen, and I've had multiple dogs all my life. Training it was an experience from the 5th circle of Dante's hell, and it spent it's entire life -knowing- it was far smarter than I was. Probably was. Typical Kraut attitude, in spades.

But it was absolutely devoted to the family and was scary-fierce, we lived in a weird rural area with shifty people around and nobody hosed around once it arrived.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like boxers though i dont normally like dogs with hosed up looking faces like that boxers are p cool

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
lol if you don't get a shepherd or collie type dog cos they're the smartest and easiest to train

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Lastgirl posted:

lol if you don't get a shepherd or collie type dog cos they're the smartest and easiest to train

I too am a smart dog elitist but smarts arent a universally good trait in dogs. When your stupid loving dog is unhappy with you, the mischief they can get up to is limited cuz them dumb as gently caress. A border collie can take that kind of mischief to diabolical levels. Woman hath no fury like a border collie scorned. Or gently caress merely even just bored really.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
No matter what kind of dog you have, there's a few things to keep in mind.

You get the dog you train. I've trained several service dogs, and I can't stress this enough.

The average dog's IQ falls somewhere between 70-80. We know this because of a variety of tests and studies done over the years to try and understand how people learn. Dogs make the same kinds of connections that humans make, unlike primates. That's because we've co-evolved with them. It's a true symbiotic relationship. The very smartest dogs, Border Collies and Poodles, have an average IQ just like people. The big difference is that they have different drives motivating them. You probably don't think the entire yard needs to be checked every 10 minutes, but a Border collie does. That's why it's so critical to find jobs for these kinds of dogs. Otherwise they will make their own jobs, and you may not like what that job turns out to be. All dogs like having something to do, but some breeds are more intense about it than others.

Regardless, your dog wants to be with you, not alone in a yard or tied up somewhere. You'll get back what effort you put into a dog in ways that just can't be measured.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

One crazy thing is that smart dogs can learn limited english. Some people will deny this until they are blue in the face, but I done seen it. It is NOT always just an understanding of emotional tones. At least some dogs can gain a limited vocabulary. My mom has to spell out the words "walk" and "cookie" when talking about random things in front of her aussies, unless she wants an instant whirlwind. If they want something you can also just flat out ask what it is. "What? You want a cookie?" *aussie stare* "uh ok what? You want attention?" *impassive look* "You want outside so you can go chase some birds?" *dog runs to the door*. Ok then.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Nathilus posted:

I too am a smart dog elitist but smarts arent a universally good trait in dogs. When your stupid loving dog is unhappy with you, the mischief they can get up to is limited cuz them dumb as gently caress. A border collie can take that kind of mischief to diabolical levels. Woman hath no fury like a border collie scorned. Or gently caress merely even just bored really.

JR Terriers train YOU.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Nathilus posted:

One crazy thing is that smart dogs can learn limited english. Some people will deny this until they are blue in the face, but I done seen it. It is NOT always just an understanding of emotional tones. At least some dogs can gain a limited vocabulary. My mom has to spell out the words "walk" and "cookie" when talking about random things in front of her aussies, unless she wants an instant whirlwind. If they want something you can also just flat out ask what it is. "What? You want a cookie?" *aussie stare* "uh ok what? You want attention?" *impassive look* "You want outside so you can go chase some birds?" *dog runs to the door*. Ok then.

I thought pretty much all dogs could this - my GF and I have five smallish rescue mutts between us, and every one of them knows the basic words "up, treat, walk, out, ride, dinner", etc. I always figured almost all dogs that got enough human contact(i.e. not being exiled to a backyard all the time) would pick up the basics.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
serious post:

English Mastiff or Bull Terrier

Both dogs look cool as gently caress yet don't have the personality to destroy people like most other cool dogs.

My house backs onto a big green space area and this guy walks his dead son's English mastiff. It's not even fully grown yet and weighs 208lbs. My lovely normally leash aggressive red haired retriever wouldn't even make eye contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Seems like ltos of people in this thread want a dog that hates everyone for some reason.. but I love that my dog loves other people. Makes it easier to go on walks too, cause if someone decides to run up and pet her she just goes with it instead of freaking out and making me look like an rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread