Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

so it turns out Greenland sharks are the longest living vertebrates on the planet, with some of them living for up to 400 years

they get huge (near 20 feet) and apparently only grow about 1 cm a year

these guys are an apex marine predator in the arctic yet they have a flat out swimming speed of less than 2 mph, half as fast as a seal. yet this still happens

apparently they roll up on prey all slowcoach style when they are resting, pretty freaky imo

this thread is for chatting about and posting scary pics of these methuselahs of the polar sea, also other sharks are ok too i guess what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Im the :what: seal

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 13, 2016

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
There's some sort of Viking delicacy, where they cut the shark into chunks, pee on it, then bury it to ferment.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

sharks are cool

old sharks are esp. cool, even if they look like they are rusting

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
how long until they put these things in a stupid loving tornado

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

SnotGrumble posted:

There's some sort of Viking delicacy, where they cut the shark into chunks, pee on it, then bury it to ferment.

they still do this in Iceland and I am convinced it's solely to gently caress with tourists at this point

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

also all of them are blind because of a parasite that lives in their eyes

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Whorelord posted:

also all of them are blind because of a parasite that lives in their eyes

To me that's the scariest part, combined with the slow movement. So fuckin creepy!

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
That's one sad looking seal. :(

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.
Megalodon is still cooler.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

SnotGrumble posted:

Per Wikipedia it appears that Vikings don't pee on the fish, but the fish is instead a piss fish to start with:

quote:

The Greenland shark's poisonous flesh has a high urea content, which gave rise to the Inuit legend of skalugsuak, the first Greenland shark.[32] The legend says that an old woman washed her hair in urine and dried it with a cloth. The cloth blew into the ocean to become Ekalugsuak.

Also:

quote:

The flesh of the Greenland shark is toxic because of the presence of high concentrations of TMAO (trimethylamine oxide). If the meat is eaten raw or even if cooked without pretreatment, the ingested TMAO is metabolized into trimethylamine, which can produce effects similar to extreme drunkenness. Occasionally, sled dogs that end up eating the flesh are unable to stand up because of this effect. Similar toxic effects occur with the related Pacific sleeper shark, but not in most other shark species, whose meat is often consumed fresh.

Let's all get pseudo drunk on piss fish.

:coolfish: :gizz: :guinness:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

imagine the stories these fish could tell

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
poo poo thats one hell of an anime shark.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

im gaye posted:

imagine the stories these fish could tell

I'd imagine you'd get pretty bored after the 500th " This one time, I ate this seal.." story

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Anthrovore posted:

so it turns out Greenland sharks are the longest living vertebrates on the planet, with some of them living for up to 400 years

these guys are an apex marine predator in the arctic yet they have a flat out swimming speed of less than 2 mph, half as fast as a seal. yet this still happens

apparently they roll up on prey all slowcoach style when they are resting, pretty freaky imo

this thread is for chatting about and posting scary pics of these methuselahs of the polar sea, also other sharks are ok too i guess what the hell

stop using tinypic

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thing looks like a friggin doofus. :ohdear:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Anthrovore posted:

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

this seal looks pretty disappointed in going out like that

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

hell yeah

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

thats a manatee you idiot

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

how high did the pool level raise when it entered?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQXzOE12xuM&t=11s

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Microwaves Mom posted:

how high did the pool level raise when it entered?

hehehe... you should ask you're mom :grin:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SnotGrumble posted:

its actually that the sharks contain toxic levels of urea (a normal component of urine) which helps them live in such cold water. Somehow, vikings figured out that if you buried the shark for a few months or whatever it would become technically edible, which is to say that after they discovered that the piss shark was poisonous they decided to try again on one that had been decomposing for months.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Anthrovore posted:

that seal is having none of that sharks poo poo

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Goatfather posted:

its actually that the sharks contain toxic levels of urea (a normal component of urine) which helps them live in such cold water. Somehow, vikings figured out that if you buried the shark for a few months or whatever it would become technically edible, which is to say that after they discovered that the piss shark was poisonous they decided to try again on one that had been decomposing for months.

thats my life story

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Piss Shark would be a good band name

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Oooohoo! Baby seals!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

mods plz rename me poo poo shark in piss ocean, tia

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol piss shark eat teh seals

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Hogge Wild posted:

hehehe... you should ask you're mom :grin:

why was she there watching?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Frilled shark

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

EorayMel posted:

Frilled shark

woah

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

piss shark eat teh seals

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EorayMel posted:

Frilled shark

holy crow

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
we are all gonna die when they figure out whats at the bottom of the ocean (it aint pretty_)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

we are all gonna die when they figure out whats at the bottom of the ocean (it aint pretty_)

gently caress that. fish aint gonna take over, they had 80 million years. Not gonna happen

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress that. fish aint gonna take over, they had 80 million years. Not gonna happen

good luck with that

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anthrovore posted:

mods plz rename me poo poo shark in piss ocean, tia

Niiiiice. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

good luck with that

my knee hurts but I can still walk on land. The fish may have 70% of the planet but I know how atomic bombs work.
Don't make me create a Godzilla

• Locked thread