Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"We ration. Best idea." She said still staring into the fire feeling good about the warm coming from it. Memories perhaps, though her face has no emotion on it as she watches. "Water more important. I would say one packet tonight, though I am not going to eat any, tomorrow morning I will eat some." She says matter-of-factly. Yawning a bit, as she pulled her self up to the fire and laid down with her face toward the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Jeff

"Duck's good," Jeff says, busily setting up a place to crash - a little emergency spacey looking blanket here, his rolled up jacket for a pillow...and the big .44 next to it. "Thinking this isn't the climate for duck, although I'm no..." he taps his forehead in thought. "Ornithologist? I think that's it. Not much climate for French anything I don't think, either."

He lies back. "Thinking I'll save some of mine until the morning. The nuts we found, that is. Honestly, after all this, I ain't as hungry as I thought I'd be." He grins. "So am I first or last up? Seems like half of us haven't decided."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Things seem to be settling out, as most of the others begin their preparations for sleep.

~~I believe Sir Miles and I are assuming the first shift. If you wish to take second, we will wake you up in two hours, I believe.~~

Just her and the knight, then. She could have worse company.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"I welcome the company, my lady," he says to Azure as the lady's voice fills his mind. Strange, he thinks, how used to it he's already becoming. "I also doubt i wil be able to sleep so quickly, despite the activities of today."

He picks out a small meal of food from his bag, consisting only of meat and mixed vegtables still slightly damp from the ocean. He also helps himself to some boiled water once it's had a chance to cool some.
"We will take first watch then we rotate every two hours. If Jeff and the Lady Irina wish to follow us. By my counting we are one short of having two for each watch, so i will volunteer for the last as well."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"I do not mind Jeff." She said looking at Jeff. "If you do not mind me." She added uncertainly, these colonists were strange. "I have training and can go watch alone, and stoke the fire." Irina privately wondered if she had brought her knife to try to whittle the hours away waiting for dawn.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector - Campsite
"It's probably better to have two people awake at a time, right? Just in case."
Hector turns towards the fire again, poking at the embers. The fire, to tell the truth, is alright; he's justhe feeling thoughtful. Everything happened so fast, he didn't really internalise the reality of the situation: but in this moment of calm, he can feel uncomfortable questions bubble up inside of him. How many worlds are out there? Why did this storm pick up all these strangers and deposit them here? Did Grandma Toadstool know about this?

There is no benefit on dwelling on this, he decides. He ought to think about something else. For example...

"Irina, madam? Earlier you called me "tracker". Is that... something from your world?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Well, I thought I'd said first or last, not middle," Jeff says, "but on reflection, it also doesn't really matter, what I said this time, and so this is fine." Being up for two hours in the middle of the night isn't exactly his preference, but the Russkie seemed like a pro at this, so he isn't about to complain, either. "Giant birds'll be in trouble if they show up when we're awake."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"Native Tracker, one who shows the path and walks like one of the wild." She looks at the others and then back to Hector, "Is word right? The Algonquins are the best trackers in the world, can follow most animals, and make path through any wood. Russians used them for years up North during the Great Scare." Irina said shaking her head and scratching the back of her head as she did. Not sure what to add she looked away for a moment, before adding, "Large Birds will be Lunch." With a smile toward Jeff.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi - The Campsite

"Birds wouldn't be a problem," Naomi said. If they didn't want her to take a watch yet, fair enough - she'd just say quiet and alert until they were ready, and until she knew how far she could trust them. "Problem when it's a looklike bird but is very not a bird. Problem, yeah."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Jungle

As members of the group fall asleep, the first watch find themselves as the only ones awake. Besides the sounds of people sleeping, the watch is serenaded by the sounds of the jungle, which is composed of Bugs and small animals of unknown types going about their business.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He sits now with his back to the fire, eyes watching their surroundings for movement or sounds other than that of bugs and insects. Every so often he stands and walks the perimeter of the camp before returning to sit by the fire. He always has one hand on his sword.

"What a day..." he says more to himself than Azure. "I have seen many works of magic in my world, yet never did I think of encountering one so strong that it would take me to another world." Whatever reason there is for them being here, there must be some way back. The Lord would not banish him here with no way to return, not when there is so much to do back home.

"If there is a way back, we will find it," he says with ironclad determination, once again though it is said more to himself than Azure.

The knight shifts his sight momentarily from the surrounding jungle to the magical lady he shares his watch with. "My lady, forgive me for asking a personal question but have you always been without a voice? I mean, in the traditional sense. As I said, I have seen many works of magic, but yours is very unique. Are all from your world the same?"

Per - 13 to watch for danger.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Everybody shifts and beds down, leaving Azure awake with Miles. The woman watches the others settle, then reaches over to fish into her purse and pull out a small flask. The little oblong thing turns in her hand, brushed metal reflecting the firelight.

The knight is talking to himself. She looks askance at him, pulls her purse a little bit closer to her hip.

When he actually turns to look at her, to ask her a question, she seems startled.

~~No,~~ comes the response, the voice in Miles' head flat, firm. Her fingers move and she unscrews the cap on the flask, flipping it open. ~~I doubt we are, Sir Miles,~~ she answers. ~~The others,~~ and Azure takes a swig of the flask, even while her cast continues, ~~all seem from different worlds. The Captain, for example, indicated Russia had conquered Japan.~~ Azure shakes her head, then holds the flask out towards Miles, turning to face him better.

~~We have travelled across time as well, if you're any indication, while we're checking off pulp story plots,~~ Azure says. ~~The Holy Roman Empire fell hundreds of years ago, defeated by Napoleon.~~

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He takes the handed flask with a grateful nod, has a swig and passes it back. "Forgive me," he says, with a hint of embarrassment in his voice. "I did not mean to cause offence by asking about your voice. We have only just met after all."

His gaze shifts back to the jungle as he thinks on what she has said and he remains silent for a moment. "Indeed," he says finally, looking back to Azure. "Different worlds as well as different times. And you are from one where the Empire was destroyed by a Napoleon?" He says the name slowly, trying to repeat it correctly. "And the Captain from one where Russia has dominated countries I have not even heard of." Worlds where his way of life must be as different to them as the Ancient Roman Empire to him.

And this 'Banestorm', it might indeed be the answer as to how the New Men arrived in the Empire...

"In my world..." He pauses, trying to think of a way to explain it to the lady. "A new group of Germans had recently arrived in the Empire. They were different. Their clothing and technology was far superior than anything I had ever seen and the Emperor was charmed by this. These 'New Men', as we call them, gained power within Germany but they began to act with cruelty and malice to its subjects and those they deemed inferior. Myself and others took up the sword against them, fighting to keep the Empire as Barbarossa had envisioned it and protect the people."

He reaches into his bag and pulls out a Walther P38, although he does not know it by this name. "They carried these. And after coming here and meeting you all, I now know that the New Men came to my world through this 'Banestorm' or in a similar fashion. But the one I took this firearm from told me that they came intentionally, not by accident through worlds as we have. So if that is the case, than there must be a way we can travel back to our own worlds." He shakes his head and sighs. "Although how we do that in our current situation, I do not know..."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~~You were not aware,~~ Azure's cast comes, after a dozen heartbeat's consideration. ~~I understand curiosity in a situation as unusual as this one.~~ A pause for contemplation, or perhaps simply to emulate usual speaking patterns.

~~Emperor Napoleon the First, of France, conquered much of Europe before he was turned back. Not the last to try, either,~~ Azure explains, taking a delicate sip from the flask. ~~The 'New Men' you describe,~~ and Miles can nearly hear the quotation marks, ~~seem similar to another group that...~~

Azure stops cold when the gun appears. Gaze fixed, she shifts towards Miles, reaches out and takes the pistol, checking to make sure the safety's on and the chamber clear. ~~You should be very careful with these, Sir Miles~~ she casts, a sterner tone, one laced with worry. ~~They are far more deadly than weapons of your time.~~ Azure puts the pistol down on the ground, careful to make it point away from any in the group. Just in case.

~~You would want to return?~~ Azure asks.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"The Empire defeated by an Emperor," he muses. "And a Frenchman at that." He chuckles jovially despite the knowledge that the Empire he so loves has fallen in one world or another. He offers no resistance when the gun is taken but simply waits until the lady has set it down. "Do not worry, my lady. I have become accustomed to it and I know how to use it should I wish. I simply do not know the ins and outs of how it functions. Believe me, I have seen firsthand the damage these small weapons can inflict..." The images of his fallen comrades and friends flash briefly through his mind.

When asked if he would want to go home, he looks at her in surprise. "You would not? How can I want to stay away knowing that evil men commit atrocities upon innocent people in a land I have come to love? I swore to protect those in need of it and yet here I am, stuck in a distant world far from the people who need my help the most..."

One thing Azure said earlier lingers in his mind, demanding an answer. "You said the New Men seem similar to another group? Who?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~~Napoleon ruled Europe for a decade~~ Azure explains. ~~Certainly a genius, even if he betrayed the revolution.~~

Azure take a deep breath. ~~Good,~ she says, untensing visibly.

~~Evil men,~~ Azure answers, ~~who committed atrocities upon innocent people.~~ A pause, perhaps just for dramatic effect. ~~They sought to exterminate those they deemed inferior, succeeded in many cases. They desired nothing more than the whole world under their rule.~~

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight nods along to the history lesson. "I see. Strange to learn of future events as if they are ancient history..."

The explanation of the New Men, or those similar to them turns his expression more grim. "They sound similar indeed," he says, gazing off into the jungle. "These men I fought may well be the same group from a world like yours then." They were unsatisfied with one world and so their greed brought them to his.

He falls silent again, watching the jungle, listening to the crackle of fire and the sounds of small wildlife around him. Further thoughts on the troubles of home can wait until he has found a way to return to it. Surviving this place is all he shall afford himself to think of now.

Ready to move on, unless there is something to add.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~~Strange to see ancient history living in front of me,~~ Azure replies. Her lips press into a line, as she rolls Miles' suggestion over in her head. The same group. What could they do, if they had the power to travel across worlds? The dark of the forest takes on a more sinister cast. Azure edges closer to the fire, and Miles, as she waits out her shift.

Fine moving on. Thanks, Veloci!

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

The first watch passes as the telepath and the knight discuss themselves. The time comes when the second watch is due to take over.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He may not have a way of keeping accurate time, but he still has a good sense of it so when two hours feels to have passed he turns to Azure. "Our watch is over, my lady. I hope sleep comes easily for you."

He walks over and wakes Irina and Jeff. "Your turn," he whispers. "All quiet so far." The knight then beds down for the night and shuts his eyes.

Next up. Thanks PS!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

The dark-haired woman's been rubbing her eyes, increasingly hard for the past twenty minutes. When the shift change comes up, she nods, immediately turning to go to sleep. ~~And you as well, Sir Miles.~~

She's asleep in a snap.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

Curled up in sleep one moment, Jeff's eyes open in seconds. He blinks rapidly, then starts to hoist himself up. "Well, you're not yelling, Mr. Sheriff of Nottingham, so I guess it must have been quiet," he says, keeping his voice down, with the slow cadence of a man who was still waking but is still mostly-there already. "You two get your rest. We'll wake the next batch."

He eyes the fire for a moment to make sure it's still going the way it should, gets himself the rest of the way to a sitting position, then gently sets the blanket aside. With the fire and the inherent mugginess of the environment, that and the jacket had been almost too much warmth to fall asleep in the first place; shirt, vest, and pants will do fine from here on out. He lays the .44 across his lap, takes a quick look around the campsite, and wonders to himself, silent, only in his mind: how in the world did it all come to this?

After a few seconds' meditation on that thought, he looks to the hopefully-also-awake Irina. "So, two hours down, and two hours just us against any weird jungle poo poo," Jeff declares. "Then tomorrow we start to figure out how to be anywhere but here." He scratches his head, then sets his eyes to the treeline, talking as he keeps watch. "I was wondering - you're a soldier. Russian. A different Russia. So probably different wars than where I come from too. Where'd you fight?"

PER 12/Observation 12 as and if necessary.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

She stretches and goes off for a moment to steady herself and only emerges with a blanket draped across her shoulders, she shivered slightly in the night air having been warm in bed. She yawns and sits down across from Jeff. Her hair down and not in her tight functional bun falls to her shoulders, and it is obvious that she was a bit more tired than she had expected from the day. She stretched her arms above her head and then pulled her smaller pistol out and laid it at her feet as she adjusted to being awake.

She eyed Jeff very envious that he seemed to be perfectly warm and even a bit hot, and she supposed she would be too, as soon as she let the fire and the cold sweat of sleep shake off. Irina stared into the fire for a moment before jerking her attention as Jeff spoke and she nodded along to his assertion that tomorrow they would have to try to escape their island prison. "I fell too asleep." She said taking her blanket off of her and getting use to the warm air against her skin.

"Fought in the Oregon county mostly, did sorties over Pullayap. Earned my wings." She took a swig of her canteen slowly and looked into the fire, "Red Coats did not leave it willingly, but the native rebellion for democracy helped. The Sioux joined us with two full battalion of trackers and we rolled over them in Iron Trains." She said a bit confidently, "Our tanks are still too much for the Red Coats and they retreated. After that, we stopped and had to find a new job. So took to flying between the Colonies and Oregon, it is a job." She shrugged, "Still a Citizen Soldier, we know next big war will happen soon, but who knows how it will start. As is all things, yes?" She said in a rather fatalistic smile.

Irina looked at Jeff and thought for a moment, "In your Russia, do they still have a Czar?" She looked almost fearfully at the prospect.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

He listens, intent but more and more surprised and baffled as Irina's description of her service record continues. Jeff had certainly expected something different, but not quite this much so. Suddenly some of the others seem less strange to him too.

"They haven't called 'em Czars in a long time, Cap," Jeff said finally. "There was a revolution about, oh, maybe eighty years ago. From my time, you understand." That is a phrase, he reasons, he might have to start using a lot. From my time. "They're Reds now. Communists. I ain't as anti-Red as a lot of folks might be back home, but I can tell you that a country run by one political party doesn't look too much different from one with a king or a czar or this and that. Maybe they're getting a bit freer, but they got a long way to go."

He pauses, rubbing his temple, wanting a cigarette and deciding after a long moment to light up. "poo poo, if anything doesn't see the fire and does see this little spark, they deserve to find us," Jeff grumbles after taking a drag.

"Oregon, huh." He shakes his head. "Redcoats, Sioux, colonies. drat." It's a lot to process. "Haven't been Colonies since we kicked the British out, starting in 1776. And I don't think there's been Russians in Oregon just about ever. That right there is part of what's called the United States of America in my time, the first real democracy since Athens, and we've been there over two hundred years. Sounds like where you come from that never happened. Man, that's wild."

Looking off at the treeline again, Jeff trails off a moment, taking a long, long hit, before he continues. "I suppose I oughta tell you, too - my country, and the Russia in my world - haven't gotten along in a drat long time. Haven't fought - sometimes backed other groups that were fighting each other - but always a bad move away from blowing each other up with nuclear weapons. Cities to rubble and dust with just a handful of warheads, so no one wants to be the first one to do it. A big standoff." Grinning, he adds, "But that doesn't seem to matter here and now all that much, I don't think, since that ain't your Russia, and your Colonies ain't my America, so we're even."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"Communism do sound like the days of the revolutionary governments, but that was finished in 1992 with Citizen Gorbachev." She said tapping her finger to her lips for a moment, "It is a strange world. I know a few Washingtonian Masons who after his many defeats was forced to fall back to Virginia where he surrendered. The Masons also talk of the Lincoln-Lee Rebellion that failed after. The Ben Franklin went to ask the French Royals for help, and you see how that turned out." She ticked her tongue, and squinted at the fire before giving up on the scraps of history.

"The natives are good, the Imperials thought they could buy loyalty, they were wrong. They have supported us for many years, and even taken to the Yaponese training." She nodded before finally asking what she was wondering since she heard of it. "What is this that can take away a city with just a bomb. That seems like magic." Irina said moving her hands out in front of her.

"What would you do in a world were any bomb could kill everyone? How do you work? What do you do in a world with such a terror?" She asked incredulous, there had been wars, terrible large wars, but to watch a city disappear with a few bombs, that was just horrific.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

Jeff blinks. "Washingtonian Masons, huh. Our war against the British was led by a Washington. George Washington. Maybe it just failed in your world, other things happened wrong, and..."

He's almost down to the filter already on his cigarette. drat. "It ain't just any bomb, just a certain kind of bomb. Plenty of regular ones still. I don't know the science too well, just that it uses a way to split an atom, or mash other types of atoms together, and it creates a lot of heat and a lot of energy. You can use it to make electricity, or you can use it to make a bomb. The Russians have a bunch of 'em. We do too. Few other countries have a handful. They got used twice, at the end of the second world war, and that was that - no one's used them since, because everyone figures just having them keeps anyone else from using them. 'cause if you go to use 'em, the other guy's gonna know, and hit you back just as hard. Doesn't do any good winning if there's nothing left of your own country, you know?"

Staring into the fire, at the flames of orange and red, Jeff shakes his head, finding it hard to explain what to him never made much sense in the first place. "So, you grow up normal - everyone's still got to make a living, go to school, find love, put food on the table, have a hobby, feed the soul with art and music, whatever you got." Then he looks up at Irina. "I mean, it can't be to different being a soldier, right? You trust training and your buddies, but you know every day could be the day. It's just like that for the rest of us too, with that kind of weapon in the world. Me, I just do my tours, and record my music, and have fun every way I know how. Give as much of my money away as I can, and try to do the good I can with the platform and the wits I've been given. And try to keep myself on the wrong side of bad people, if you get what I mean." He smiles.

"But I remember when I was a kid in school we'd do drills, hide under our desks for if something did go wrong and someone was crazy enough to use the drat things again." Laughing at the absurdity of it all, he continues: "Now that I know how dumb it was, it comes off as just: 'bend over and kiss your rear end goodbye,' since hiding under your desk wouldn't do poo poo. But that's how it was."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"It is hard to think of cause as a Soldier you can do things. You can be in the air, you can hide in a bunker. It is very frightening." She said looking at the sky for a moment and then back to the fire, "I hope we never get such a bomb. The Imperials would use it without mercy." Irina said shaking her head and tossing her hair back like it was weighing down her shoulders. That brought about the next question she had been wondering and hadn't asked in front of the others. "Are you like Azure, do you play French music too like she likes her food?" Irina wasn't sure other than the little spats of music the man had played on his guitar.

"I have mainly been around the Sioux battle songs and traditional revolutionary songs, I haven't heard music like that before. I know that the Operas of the French are still prized as is the Piano of the Prussians." She trailed off not sure exactly how to talk about it. There were no words for the type of music that had been thrown around her today at all. "Is your music very popular in your United of States."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Sure, you can do things, I'm just sayin' - in a lot of things, you got to know that some things are just out of your hands." Jeff flings the spent filter into the fire, and watches it burn up, satisfied, for a brief second. "Oh, it ain't French, that's for sure." He pauses, his eyes lighting up as he gets theorizing. "I mean - maybe you can make the argument that early Louisiana blues had some Creole in it and that there's a little bit of influence from the French in a roundabout way, but that's a bit of a stretch, and...it would take me a long-rear end time to walk you through all that music history, anyway." He half-sighs, half-grumbles at that.

"Anyway, yeah. It's not the only popular music, but it's big. Not just mine - a lot of bands and artists and songwriters all in my kind of style. Worked with some of 'em. Would never work with a few of 'em." He smiles. "I'd get out the guitar now, but I don't wanna wake the others up. Or attract anything that might hear better than it sees, you know. But when the sun's out I'll make sure everyone gets to hear some stuff. A little rock n' roll, a little blues, maybe a little classical guitar...get people ready for the day, you know?"

"Sioux battle songs sound like they'd be pretty cool too," Jeff admits after a moment's thought.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"Yes, this is the Rock And Roll, and Blues." She said nodding trying to remember, she didn't really have anything equivalent, and with that she watched the fire. "I will be fine when we are out of this wood. I want cooler temperatures, and drier places." She said watching the fire start to slowly burn lost in her own thoughts. Taking up a stick she stirs the fire slowly and start remembering days long past and battles well fought.

"The Sioux called them Cry's of the Dead. Something about how the Imperials first defeated them, I do not know the language, it was very... powerful." Irina finishes as she looks up into the night. "I do not know what these jungles hold, but the talk of big birds make me think that we will hope for nights as quiet as these."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"I'm with you on that, Russia," Jeff says with a long, drawn-out breath, thinking of what music from other worlds would even sound like. "Too warm for it to be the middle of the night. And yeah. We don't know what's out there." He fiddles with the grip of his pistol. "And the problem is, from just what we know about the seven of us, it could be just about anything. We could be anywhere on Earth or maybe not Earth at all. There could be a nice little port town ten miles away where I can stock up on smokes and have a nice drink, or we could be just the only drat human beings for a thousand miles."

He stares off in the distance. "That's the part that scares me. I mean, I've seen some poo poo. Been in some real bad situations before. But I knew where I was. I knew my options. My outs. But the not knowing, here, that's the thing that gets in my head."

Silent for a while, Jeff finally looks over towards where the others are sleeping. "Probably about time for them, don't you think? I..." He taps his forehead a few times. "...who was up next?"

Probably best to keep this movin' along and let the next block have a shot, unless something comes for us before the end of our shift.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

When the two begin discussing who is to be on watch next, they both hear a hissing sound. They go quiet trying to hear the sound again. The hissing sound becomes louder and then there's a different hissing sound. The hissing stops and then its followed by the sounds of something or somethings moving through the jungle outside of the camp.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"Everyone! Up toward the fire!" Irina said getting around the fire, and pulling out a red stick from her shorts. She was just in a shorts and a tanktop against some predator in the dark. Irina pops a flare and lets the light surge around her like it was magic, there is a new sort of hissing coming from the flare as she waves it around her head trying to get more of a view into the the surrounding bush in the read light. In her other hand, she levels her pistol toward the force and the very base metal look seems to glint in the red flare's light. To Irina it seemed like it was all there was between her and the darkness around them

Igniting an Emergency Flare. Lasts about 30 minutes. Illuminates a 5-yard radius. She is going to try to use it to illuminate what is going on.
Also leveling her pistol in the direction of the sound.
Per 13 to discover the source

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

Jeff starts to ask again, before he hears it. He stops in mid-mumble, and his eyes go wide as eggs. The giant .44 comes off his lap and into his hand. He shakes the nearest person to him, trying to wake them quietly, to whisper that there is something out there, that they need to get up now, and then the flare...

Oh, gently caress.

From sitting, he pops up into a crouch. Unconsciously, he bares his teeth, and hisses between them somehow at whatever was out there. He thumbs the hammer back. This feels natural to him, even if whatever was out there is anything but natural.

"If they catch you in the back seat tryin' to pick her locks," he says, to everyone, "they're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box."

He levels the revolver at whatever he can see.

"You better run."

PER 12, and aiming if he sees anything to aim at.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 6, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Courtney D'Arvent - Campsite

"With your nerves in tatters..." Courtney unconsciously whispers between snores as they try to rest, uncomfortably propped against a rock. "...as the cockleshell shatters...and the hammers...batter...down...the door...guh!"

It's only then that they throw themselves awake, and reach for their revolver resting on top of their folded vest. "Holy gently caress, Very lights! What's happening?!"

Things that could be useful here: PER 14, Acute Hearing (1), Acute Vision (1), Combat Reflexes?

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight sleeps like a log. Having slept in some of the roughest conditions, battlegrounds and sieges, sleep comes easily to him now despite the circumstances. A shame though that he has barely a few hours to rest before the Captain shouts. But he's up in a second when the shouting starts, springing to his feet. He pulls his sword out in a smooth motion, the steel rasping as it's drawn; his own growl to match that of whatever creature might be approaching them.

He's by Irina and Jeff seconds after the Captain has lit her strange torch, the musician seeming to be babbling nonsense as they both level their firearms into the jungle. He stands ready to face whatever might jump out of the jungle, his blade appearing to be made of flame as it reflects the campfire.

"What is it? What do you see?"

Per - 13

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Welcome to the Jungle

She hadn't slept easily - how could she possibly? Only heaven knew what was going on in the world she'd been taken away from, the work of years peeling up and blowing away. It would've been hard if she'd been on the most comfortable bed in the universe, and on the harsh jungle ground surrounded by strange noises and unfamiliar people, she was amazed that she drifted off at all.

When one of them spoke - the woman in the uniform, it sounded like - she didn't need long to be alert. As the light of the flare cast dancing shadows, she scrambled for her otherworldly gun and kept her breath in check, straining to see if there was anything to be seen.

Per 13

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector - Campsite

Hector awakens with a jolt, looking around without immediately understanding where he is. Once he realizes that, and what exactly is happening, he awakens completely and scrambles for his sling, depositing a lead bullet in it and looking around in the darkness.

"W-who's there? We're not scared of you! We're many, and armed!"

Per 14 here.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach Camp

Irina lights the flare she has and thrusts it towards the darkness. Jeff follows her lead by readying his weapon and looking out into the darkness. Neither of them see anything. Jeff happens to hear something moving away from the flare. Whatever is making the sound is easily hides in the darkness provided by the jungle.

Courtney and Miles then wake up and start looking for danger. At the very edge of the camp fire light, they see something run further into the jungle away from the light. Before either of them can do anything the intruder disappears into the darkness.

Naomi and Hector wake up last. They look around, but they don't see anything moving. However there are some tracks at the edge of the clearing where they are set up. The tracks look like the large bird like tracks seen before.

Upon further inspection around the camp, whatever the intruders (it seemed like there were more than one of them) fled the area.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"There was one-hundred-percent something out there," Jeff insists, as if expecting at least one of the recently awakened to protest. His knuckles are ivory-white as he grips the revolver. "Heard 'em moving around and making weird sounds. Sounded to me like there was more than one." He grits his teeth and scans back and forth in the uneven, flickering light from the fire and the flare. "Only lucky thing is I guess they're scared of us too."

With that, one question, the only one that mattered: "Now what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"They do not sound like Birds I know." She said looking at the ground in the flare light. "We can't run off into the night. We need to do get closer to the fire and keep it stoked. They seemed scared of fire." Irina said as the flare lit up the camp ground, "We might even try a circle of torches... not sure if good or no." Irina yawns as she looks at the others.

"We should do the last watch with more people maybe," She said nodding to the woman, "I don't remember your name." She said looking embarrassed at least, as she talked toward Naomi, "Are you good for fight? You seemed to be the most experienced one with these different worlds, I do not know if you also know how to war."

• Locked thread