Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
A world infested with hostile penguins. Sure, why not.

Getting some FFX vibes from this though, except it's wintry rather than tropical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Glaive17 posted:

I have never played CT and know nothing about it except time travel and anything else already mentioned in this thread, so this game is even MORE boring for me. But like others have said, I stick around for TDI.

Play it, it's great.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I think Loud Soldier is my new favorite NPC. Should have made the game about him instead.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I don't get it. Avalo is the one who gets flung across the room by a scythe but Dinas is the one who croaks?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Crowetron posted:

I'm really trying to understand the point of that "confrontation" in the mountains. Between that and the dire threat of plush toys you'd find in a claw machine, and I wonder if this game is some sort of experiment to make a plot with the lowest stakes possible.

Well, low stakes can be okay if the storytelling is competent. However, that does not appear to be the case here.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The Third Birthday made me wish Id was playing one of the older Parasite Eve games instead, and this game, while still vastly more worthwhile than Third Birthday, is making me wish he was playing Chrono Trigger for us instead.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Ah, who cares about the stupid beetle kid, jeez.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

If this doesn’t work and she keels over or turns into a giant teethed vagina we have to put down or something, you’re still on the hook for guild duty! Got it?!

You mean guide duty here, right?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i am pretty sure that the item description writer was way more dedicated to his job than whoever did the scenario and dialogue writing.

And yet it seems like such a waste anyway.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Right then, we can add Persona 4 to the big list of JRPGs that this game unfavorably compares itself to. Also: what?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

...yeah there's really no way around it, that's a magical girl wand.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Though, the Absorb modifier numbers are...

Nice!

Thanks, I needed that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is actually a pretty good idea for that ridiculous anti-climactic resolution for the possession thing to have not really resolved anything at all. i guess if it didn't do anything that would explain why the butler dude was fine with it, too.

I can't believe that incredibly shady Magic Consortium guy failed us.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Where else are we going to get the quantities of rope and wood needed in order to enact the catapult plan? Not to mention making sure that wood and rope won't disappear like Aeterna and the Walrus Dagger did. If the Walrus Dagger can just up and poof out of existence, anything can :ohdear:

Let's face it, using this plot point as a reason to send us on a fetch quest is exactly the sort of thing this game would do.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

But look at it! I only see two horns!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Is Epoch taken?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'm incredibly unoriginal so: Big Dick

Nah, dress it up a little.

Schlong.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

We started with Endir, then got Nidr, then Kir, so the only logical thing is to keep the trend going. The ship is obviously the Ir.

Changing my vote to this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Zagglezig posted:

Plus we've had zero hint of recognition from Setsuna or Nidr, which I don't think the game could keep itself from doing if Reaper was actually Setsuna's mom.

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO LAME ALL THE TIME MOM

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This is still the best.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mundetiam posted:

I'm also not a fan of name of the last boss. Dark Samsara? Why dark? Is there a Light Samsara to compare it to? Or any other Samsara in that family tree? Just call it Samsara, that name makes sense by itself without having to qualify it.

Well Samsara is also a powerful light-element attack... in a different JRPG franchise. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

You screwed up the tags in the Icicle Disaster bit. Also it's "invoke" not "envoke."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

LOL what the gently caress was that.

Besides that drat beetle kid getting what was coming to him, anyway. :argh:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I feel like they shouldn't have bothered with the question of "ooh, will these new strangers join our party?" because the answer was already too obvious, making it a waste of time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This is unrelated to I Am Setsuna, but I gotta say I am enjoying every trip to Suplex City.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Is that a tree trunk with an end you’ve whittled down to a handle...?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Well that's kind of nice. A little harder to be mad about this game's mediocrity, if it's the director's first project, anyhow.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Item Getter posted:

I thought it was a bit clever that they tried to tie these recolored bosses into the characters' backstory a little but then the sea monster is just :effort:

It's a little wasted, though, since three of the characters who got bosses were never even involved in the fights. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Setsuna reminds me of the scientists towards the beginning of Black Mesa who will occasionally yell "Maybe we can reason with it!" in the middle of gun battles against zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Overall I think a game called "I am Setsuna" has to make us really invested in Setsuna and what makes her tick, and it didn't deliver.

Good work putting up with us, Id. Also the LPs.

• Locked thread